• 231 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...and Ears...ALVARHANSO, thnx for confirming my 1st thoughts on
    the 1st listen Eyes of the World!
    completely different feel to the music of the 3rd (got a inkling, a sense, I was fahken groovin' to JGB)
    as compared to the night of the 4th

Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Hopefully it includes the remainder of 10-24-70 that didn’t fit on DaP 48.

• Forensicdoceleven

Carte blanche? Sounds like a skin disease! Whatever it is, I ain't got it..........

I had a nice response for RB76 regarding 1971 vs 1977 jamming, but got Hey Now'ed. Serves me right to suffer..............

So, it's probably safe as milk to say let's enjoy the music, folks enjoy 1977 and I enjoy not that, which is just exactly perfect...............

51 = 12/5/71, it's about time..............

Gotta get ready for work, people are dying to see me.........

I believe it is in my nature to dance by virtue of the beat of my heart, the pulse of my blood and the music in my mind.....

Rock on,

Doc
    Music fills the infinite between two souls......

• daverock

Than saying something controversial, only to find people agree with you. It can make you lose your faith in human nature.

• Vguy72

I'm just joshing ya.
    Good banter. Good music. Good friends. Good shit.
    If I had my way, I would tear this board down.
    🍻
    When there is no more May '77 to mine, then we can rest easy Keithfan.
    Until then, Deal with it.
    See? I can be snarky too.
    ❤️

• Angry Jack Straw

Doc has carte blanche this board.

Along with a few others. I’m not even sure I deserve membership.

Sorry, but I love Peggy-O. Especially Spring 77

• alvarhanso

Never heard Jerry do THAT. When I saw the track length, was hoping it would be like the other longer ones of this tour (sorry, Doc, please ignore this), and it has a similar structure, but just before the final crescendo, Jerry's work is really interesting, since it's not like him to hang on one note so much. Definitely gonna brave the hum for another listen after this is done.

Also, I noted the lack of credit to ABCD on this, yet previously uncirculating Bettys from May '77. Sorry, that's one of my obsessions, noting which releases hail from that trove, especially noting when it's recorded by Owsley (DaP 24 8/25/72) or Rex (21 4/2/73, 22 12/6-7/71, 26 11/17/71 and 12/14/71, etc).

Eyes with more of a 1974 feel and tempo. As Yosemite Sam would say, I like it, I like it! Can't wait for the Playing sandwich. Wow, what a Wharf Rat! Jerome John Garcia with some of his most fluid playing. Sometimes with Wharf Rat he goes for some patterns or arpeggios and doesn't quite nail them. Here he does. Even digging the Drums, which is not a favorite of mine in 1977. This one is high energy, especially for one about to slam into the Bo Diddley beat of Not Fade Away.

• proudfoot

This board is fun

God Bless the Grateful Dead

• icecrmcnkd

Not only did I not get Hey Now’d on that, I didn’t even have to take the reCRAPTCHA quiz.

No 50 here yet.
    Spinning 4-8-72 vinyl.
    Doc will probably approve.

• icecrmcnkd

about ice cream.

Blue Moon is the best.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

on fresh ice.
Nothing better.
Looking forward to this one.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

6 months 4 weeks

...graphics,
STEALIE hood badge on the TAXI...
how about that FOR HIGHER taxi roof sign "TRIPS"
can't wait to LISTEN

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Let’s hope it sticks around this time!

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

The chat is back up now.
Peace

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

...I don't love it. lol

Where do they get these reviews from and why are we subjected to a review from a phish person?
I'm not reading it.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Off and running. Let's hope we all get these next week.

No hints or even a mention of this year's box set. Talked about 2025 and the 60th.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

All due respect, no interest whatsoever. Worth the huge build-up? You decide.....

Let's move on to 51, maybe a little further back....

We have deep depth......

Doc
It gets late early out there......

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Had to do a double take on the way this release appears to be organized, as it seems they have inserted stuff from the next night into the middle CD. Weird. I get that they want to fit as much as possible, but this is pretty blatantly intermingled by an order of magnitude.

I've not heard this one I don't believe, so there's that to look forward to.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Inserting material from another show halfway through a disc spoils the flow of the original show. This is pretty obvious to most folks, but apparently not to those responsible for this puppy. That alone makes this a monumental pass for me.

I'm not sure I want this one either. I've got all the other officially released Spring 77 shows - I'm not sure this has anything new to offer really. I enjoyed both 4/25/77and 5/5 /77, earlier this week but after the 5/5 one had ended I did feel like something a bit more...you know.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Don't like the breakup of Songs from other show. After 50 years how about an ''sALL Pigpen' Release'? There are at lease 20 songs different you could use. Sure it would sell out.

Glad to see Hunter's Great Rum Runners being re-released. Hope for Tiger Rose too and his other albums. The unreleased 'Alligator Moon' would be a nice release even if some songs are live.

lballigator

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

#50 looks cool. Its time to go into those banana boxes for some 1968, 1969 or 1970. Hopefully # 51 will be a 2 show release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

OFFICIAL!!!
PLAY DEAD
PLAY DEAD LOUD
HAAPY THURSDAY DEADLAND!!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Hey nowed so cant's really comment. Second set jams are nice, eyes is good, Jerry on Fire, but still as good as the rest of May 77? Ok, first listen to this betty and have heard it just audience recording, never heard 5-4, wonder when the rest of the show will turn up? weird

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 1 month

Excited for dp 50. I know there are many Spring 77 shows. Never going to make all happy but hoping the music speaks for itself. The review provided is obnoxious. Capitalize your sentence, abide by common rules of English language, and use punctuation. Juneau what i meen,

Also, I second that pig album. Bring it on.

To get my mitts on this one. Hard to believe should be here in approximately two weeks.

Been a while since '77 for me, looking forward to the visit.

Hope all are well around here. Got now'd so much I backed off.

G

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I listen to and love a whole lot of GD eras. '77 is always always a sweet spot. and a Playin > Comes A Time > Playing on the bonus disc??!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I've been hankering to listen to some May '77 for the past month or so but been holding out for this one! Soon, soon......

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years

A bit miffed at the way the 5/3 and 5/4 are combined
Hopefully I will figure a way to separate the two
If not so be it
With vinyl coming back I see the day the WHOLE catalog will be available.
Not interested…..
I’d rather see it on digital……all these cds records tapes take up space ….. trying to decompress the amount of stuff ….

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

RIP BLUE SKY Dickey Betts

user picture

Member for

4 years 7 months

Really looking forward to listening to this, BUT I would humbly request once again that in future releases of CDs you consider folks listening ON CDs who would like to listen to a show as it was played without dumping stuff from other shows in the middle of the show. I know other folks will say 1) I disagree because I don't listen to the CDs; I rip them to my computer and sort them; or 2) it would be cost-prohibitive to add another disc in order to preserve the original flow of the shows... to that I would say 1) if you're not going to listen on CD then how would it hurt you to have 4 discs with the original order preserved; and 2) if Phish can put out 2-concert 6-disc shows for $35 I think GD can put out 4 discs for $30... THANKS AGAIN FOR THE MUSIC!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Chuck

Mr. Betts much.

Jaimoe last man standin.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Count me in the minority of loving the killer filler. Loved when it was included on tapes and love it now.

Remember playing Dick's Picks 13 for the first time and at the end of Saint of Circumstance all of the sudden a killer Scarlet Fire emerges? I do!

No hint of it on the track listing, just bliss!

Hope all are good here! Those lucky enough to catch any Sphere shows whether D&C, Phish or got to see U2 - enjoy!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 7 months

The Dead did 5 shows at the Palladium April 29 through May 4 of '77 and I would've thought that it would've been great for another annual box-set.

However April 30 was already released in the Download Series and with May 3 & May 4 released as Dave's Picks 50 my prediction is that April 29 or May 1 will be part of the 50th anniversary deluxe version of Terrapin Station and the other show will be Dave's Picks 75.

They also did the same thing with the '72 Academy Of Music (later renamed the Palladium) shows in releasing them on Dick's Picks and Dave's Picks rather than as a multi-show box-set.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by boblopes

I remember that first time that Scarlet Fire hit me 15 years or so ago. I had sank back in my chair, full on buzz. Bam after 5 minutes out drifts unknown at time music for me. What a great wave to ride.

And Peter, great to see you today!

G

Edit: considering grabbing the 4 sphere shows this weekend. 4 for a big buck, nice.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I'm good with the filler too.
Especially, since it is connected with the bonus disc.
Peace

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by TN John

ho ho ho
and couple of tra la las
that's how we trip the days away in the merry old land of the Grateful Dead

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Yesterday, sitting at my desk, out of the blue, I thought, "I wonder how Dicky Betts is doing?" Objectively, I knew he couldn't be doing great after all his health issues. And I thought, once Dicky goes, Jaimoe's the last man standing.

So when the headline hit today, that set me way back. A few shows in which I caught Mr. Betts:
ABB, May '73, MSG
ABB, June 9, 73, RFK
ABB, July 27-28, Watkins Glen
Betts Band, some tiny place in Denver, maybe 20 years ago (lost my hearing for a day)

The kicker was RFK, June 73. GD went on first and we took half of a four-way blotter. Exhausted from the heat, we found seats and took another half -- so we're four-way now -- and the ABB absolutely blew us away, in large degree due to Dicky and Chuck Leavell.

Oh and DP 50 will probably rock pretty hard, too.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

last saw him and great southern in 02 opening for Phil and friends and Ratdog, good times, Blue Sky and Sweet Melissa so good, it was so hot thought we were all gonna pass out. Phil came out and played with Dickey and he returned the favor and played two Dead tunes and the encore. This one hurts, he carried southern rock and the Almans all through their great history, he was there, until he wasn't. Funny, didn't like Dickey's hellraising but hung around after Greg turned federal informer. Via con dios Mr. Betts

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I’m really looking forward to this release. All of 5-3 and then most of 5-4 as filler and the Bonus Disk.
Opening the patio this weekend, so that’ll be good timing.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

One of the greatest guitarists of all time, wonderful songwriter, and I can't, and don't want to imagine a world in which he and Duane Allman didn't play together. Dickey and Berry were the biggest Deadheads in the ABB, and Dickey didn't sit in much while Duane was alive, because he was nervous around Jerry, and worried that if they played together Jerry would think Dickey was copying him. I'm glad he lived to see the release of 6/10/73, though if he posted about it on Instagram, I missed it. He had an incredible Instagram account that would put out archival ABB pics and music and videos, largely in an On This Day format, but really cool content. Dickey Betts was a bad, bad man on the guitar, his piercing, inimitable tone (even on a widely available guitar and amp combo) was a fantastic counterpoint to Duane's more soaring, fluid, and melodic playing. He was great with Jack Pearson, and the one time I saw him with Derek Trucks in the ABB was unbelievably good. They went at it all night, but Dickey's magnificent solo on Back Where It All Begins won the night, just a masterpiece. Time to plug in my tape deck...

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

Oh yeah! I ordered the cab, six months ago. Early bird gets the Extra Disc!
P.S. R.I.P. Dickie Betts.
P.P.S. So glad I got that 6/10 show from the Sunshine Box!

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Can't let this occasion pass without saying how sad I am to hear about Dickey. Tried to write something longer about it but got Hey Now'd. Twice. But it's probably just as well. Words fail. Music lives on. So long to one of the truly great ones.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

...Always hoping for a box of all 5 Palladium shows alas it's not to be. I was extremely partial to 5/4 however I've been delving into 5/1 a few songs at a time-all I can say is WOW!!!! Dare I say it could it be that Cornell is overrated? So very grateful that 5/4/77 Set II is getting it's just due as it's been long overdue for the Norman treatment. Now about 51 I'm predicting a trip to a Pig era show namely 4/5/69 a favorite of the immortal LATVALA.

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

On archive 5/3 and 5/4 have soundboards that circulate and are available. Same goes for 5/1.

4/29 and 4/30, however, DO NOT.

If those shows are in the vault, which appears to be the case, I wonder why Dave has not blessed us w/ the Norman treatment for them.
These 'return to the Palladium' (first time since '72 when it was called the AoM) shows could have made a nice box, maybe we will get them piecemeal or as a double shot a la Dave's 49 at some point.
A man can dream.
Jamming that hot HSF from 4/29 now.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Okay JoeyMC: I found the cat. But otherwise clueless as usual – what's the story? Thanks.

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I often forget about that series.

Is there any other place to get that show's betty board?
I missed my chance back when they were released.
finishing 4 29 77 set I decent aud now

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by August West Wh…

Send me a PM and we will see what we can do.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

this release gives me psychedelic wood

also

On your to ob I happened upon at random 7 31 71 which sounds great

God bless the GD

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

CAT

Got Hey nowed 15 times can't respond

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I like the filler, too. I can always stop listening when I come to the end of one night's music, and put on the next cd.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by nitecat

But, Happy Bicycle Day everybody!
Dose 'em if you got 'em.
Peace

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html