• 52 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 52: The Downs at Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM (9/11/83)

I remember the venue almost like and old fort with roses everywhere. We came to the site and Wavy Gravy showed us where to camp. Ken Kesey was here as well as a couple other big figures of the counterculture. I think because of Mickey's 40th. During drums a double rainbow appeared. Every time it looked like rain the band would stop and then come back even stronger from their breaks. I saw more outdoor shows in 83 than all the years combined. I have goose bumps even typing this from the memories. - xxuncle johnxx, Dead.net

One of the best memories I have were these 2 shows. During the break there was a lightning storm behind the stage, followed by a rainbow and then an awesome 2nd set. Morning Dew with a Cold Rain, Phil singing encore. Most of my tour buddies went home after Red Rocks and I tortured them with the Santa Fe tapes. Nothing beats the magic of a great GD outdoor show. "It all bleeds into one." - grateful hawaiian, Dead.net

In between sets, I remember it rained... and early on in the second set, there was an amazing rainbow directly over the stage behind the band. I don't believe they saw it, but I'm sure they heard about it. "Let It Grow" was awesome! - Johnny_A, Dead.net

The pot at the end of this rainbow is mighty fine, indeed. Our final Dave's Picks release for 2024 features the complete unreleased show from The Downs at Santa Fe, Sante Fe, NM, 9/11/83 (fun fact, it was Mickey's 40th birthday) with just a squidge of 9/10/83 to round things out. A true trader's treat, this one is solid all around from the lively first set featuring soon-to-be minted 80s classics like "Hell In A Bucket" and "West L.A. Fadeaway" to the return of "Help>Slip>Franklin's," the incredible 2nd set surprise of "Let It Grow," and adventurous takes on "He's Gone,""Wang Dang Doodle," and "Morning Dew." It's all well played, my friend, well played.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 52: SANTA FE, NM 9/11/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • dmcvt

Here we go...

• simonrob

It's a show I'm not familiar with.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 5 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 52: The Downs at Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM (9/11/83)

I remember the venue almost like and old fort with roses everywhere. We came to the site and Wavy Gravy showed us where to camp. Ken Kesey was here as well as a couple other big figures of the counterculture. I think because of Mickey's 40th. During drums a double rainbow appeared. Every time it looked like rain the band would stop and then come back even stronger from their breaks. I saw more outdoor shows in 83 than all the years combined. I have goose bumps even typing this from the memories. - xxuncle johnxx, Dead.net

One of the best memories I have were these 2 shows. During the break there was a lightning storm behind the stage, followed by a rainbow and then an awesome 2nd set. Morning Dew with a Cold Rain, Phil singing encore. Most of my tour buddies went home after Red Rocks and I tortured them with the Santa Fe tapes. Nothing beats the magic of a great GD outdoor show. "It all bleeds into one." - grateful hawaiian, Dead.net

In between sets, I remember it rained... and early on in the second set, there was an amazing rainbow directly over the stage behind the band. I don't believe they saw it, but I'm sure they heard about it. "Let It Grow" was awesome! - Johnny_A, Dead.net

The pot at the end of this rainbow is mighty fine, indeed. Our final Dave's Picks release for 2024 features the complete unreleased show from The Downs at Santa Fe, Sante Fe, NM, 9/11/83 (fun fact, it was Mickey's 40th birthday) with just a squidge of 9/10/83 to round things out. A true trader's treat, this one is solid all around from the lively first set featuring soon-to-be minted 80s classics like "Hell In A Bucket" and "West L.A. Fadeaway" to the return of "Help>Slip>Franklin's," the incredible 2nd set surprise of "Let It Grow," and adventurous takes on "He's Gone,""Wang Dang Doodle," and "Morning Dew." It's all well played, my friend, well played.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 52: SANTA FE, NM 9/11/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Admittedly, I have not listened to this box yet. I opened it and inspected the contents and got back to listening to other things--namely Geese (they rock). You say there are 40 tracks unplayable? What shows? Has anyone else had this issue? It give me PTSD from the HCS box set and waiting for those replacement discs.

Now I have to get to listening except it won't be this weekend...too busy seeing live music!

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Dead/WBRhino should adopt a system similar to Pearl Jam, who makes most, if not all, of their shows available. Ordering is easy, you can order as a CD or as FLAC, and the quality is outstanding. I get it is somewhat “apples & oranges” in that Pearl Jam records their shows knowing they will be released, so recording quality is top notch, whereas the Jeffrey Norman team must reconstruct some pretty old tapes for 21st Century listening that were never intended for release.
But the current system of Dave L choosing only 4 shows a year, that never gain full consensus, plus Boxes that often are hit or miss, there must be a better way.
You don’t need an Archivist to tell you what sounds good, anymore than you don’t need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-52-the-downs-at-santa-fe-santa-fe-nm-91183/081227817503.html