• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Just wanted to give muleskinner a nod for his Ray Wylie Hubbard post. Haven’t listened to that in a few years and forgot how much I loved this song. It’s very simple with great storytelling quality. This is my favorite Ray album. I got some pots and pans, I got some pots and pans, I got some pots and pans gonna hit em with some sticks.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Anyone gotten into these releases? If this has been gone over already I apologize for the redundancy. I have been HOOKED since Vol. 1 *3-1-80 JGB* and their most recent delivery of Hilo Civic Center 5-20-90 with JGB *Vol. 10 now!* is absolutely outstanding. The whole show has this glowing quality to it; not a sleeper in the set. Even some of the songs that had a tendency to drag on *Like a Road, Forever Young* have a feeling to them that must have been activated by the geography. Absolutely astounding show from top to bottom. A good JGB show is just a note worthy, albeit in totally different ways, as a good Dead set. Talk about two different bands both achieving musical transcendence!! That said, April 71 was a stunning month of shows. Did anyone else remember to take Doc up on his outstanding offerings? I am enjoying the 28th and 29th so very, very much. Thanks again, Doc! I have built a playlist for work that lasts for quite a few days in its total hours so I can just let it roll day to day, shift to shift, taking as many pauses as needed and all that, but I keep starting it over and going back to our latest ABQ release and it's accompanying Ann Arbor release as well as that Fillmore April run and GarciaLive Vol. 10 from Hilo Civic. Between the Garcialive and Dave's releases this year so far alone, I couldn't be more GRATEFUL!
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Tend to only buy 70's & 80's Jerry Band sets so far. Finally on board with 90's GoGD after holding out for years....so there is hope. But 90's JGB always makes me restless/anxious for some reason. Adore the Garcia/Grisman stuff though! Looking forward to the next 70's or 80's release. Hopefully, GarciaLive11 will be one of those.
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

The more I listen to DaP 26, the more I realise that they couldn't have given birth to The Other One anywhere but the desert. Throughout the entire suite, they're perpetually looking out over the horizon, hoping to catch a glance of something - water, refuge, a sign of life. It's harsh and throbbing and goddamned hot. But suddenly, unannounced, MAMU emerges from the heat like a desert rose. They press on over the hot sand until they finally reach an oasis, where they find an old man down by the docks. Roll up your pants and get your feet wet.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Road traffic signs to larger places are normally in both the Greek alphabet and the Roman/Latin alphabet. Small villages, hamlets and places so small that they have to share their idiot are normally only in Greek. As almost all Greek islands are inundated with tourists, there are loads of hotels, restaurants and tourist-related shops whose signs are always in English. Other shops and companies, factories etc. typically have Greek-only signs. Sadly I am now back in gray, temperate Holland which just goes to show that heaven is ephemeral (but I did bring a bottle of that homemade raki home, along with a large bottle of Metaxa *****). Haven't ventured onto the scales yet, but I expect bad news there after eating far too much, though octopussies and squiddlies aren't fattening (I hope). Went with wife, daughter and her boyfriend - possibly the last whole-family holiday?. What a hoot!
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Deal from the 11/17 show. Jerry's guitar intro sounds so crunchy and "distorted" in a good way.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

I love a few of these releases, but the Series pales in comparison to the epic PureJerry shows from about a decade ago. That's the problem with picking second, I suppose. Pure Jerry 4 (Garcia Saunders Band) might be the best non-GD show of all-time featuring Jerry. Pure Jerry 6 is my favorite Garcia Band show ever, and Pure Jerry 9 is a wonderful complilation from that same period. Good luck finding any of these for under 100 bucks (or under 200 for PJ9). Concerning Garcia Live, I think my favorites are 1, 4, 7, 8, and 9. Volume 8 is an especially hot '91 show.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

What are your 10 favorite cover songs by the GD? You can name just the song or a specific show/performance. Mine are below: 1. He Was A Friend Of Mine 2. Smokestack Lightnin' 3. Mama Tried (I love BW's cowboy covers) 4. Morning Dew 5. Cold Rain And Snow 6. Viola Lee Blues 7. Dark Hollow 8. Jack-A-Roe 9. The Race Is On 10. I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water* *'Muddy Water' was only performed once at the 12/5/71 Felt Forum show. Why it was dropped from the set list is beyond me. Judging from the crowd's reaction it was a keeper IMHO. Your Top 10?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

My Favourite covers with Pigpen 1 BIG BOSS MAN 2 HARD TO HANDLE 3 IT HURTS ME TOO 4 NEXT TIME YOU SEE ME 5 SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING It's time we had another box of bacon.......
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

I bought most of these from eBay three or so years ago, not trying to profit , just want to get my money back. Looking to get $600 if anyone is interested in getting all nine of the pure Jerrys in very good condition. I live in Central Ma. If any new englanders wanted them we could do it in person. Pm if interested. Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

Omitting "traditional" songs (Rider, Samson, CR&S, etc)... 1. Morning Dew. More so than any other song in the Dead's repertoire, they made this one their own. 10/19/73, 10/18/74, 5/8/77, 5/22/77? Take your pick. 2. Not Fade Away- Indespensible. I prefer the 1971-1973 medleys with GDTRFB, but the jammed out ones from circa '77 are great too. After they started the call and response, it became less interesting, if more interactive. 3. Sing Me Back Home- 8/27/72's version is sublime beauty. If this was the only version they every played it would still be on the list. 4. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. This rarity had Jerry sing his heart out. One of the few songs that got better as his voice declined. 5. Turn On Your Lovelight- post-Pig, there's nothing of interest for me, but it's hard to imagine '69-'72 without this as a closer. Sure, some could go on for too long (12/20/69) but when everything clicked (2/13/70, 4/27/71, 8/6/71, 4/26/72, 5/24/72) 6. Death Don't Have No Mercy- 2/28/69 and 3/2/69 are favorites, but don't overlook 2/22/69 or the revivals from '89. Chills you like a gust of wind from a grave. 7. Dark Hollow- the only UNDERplayed Bobby Cowboy tune. 8. Good Lovin' - it became overplayed by Bobby after it's heyday in 1971 with Pigpen, but 5/2/70's version alone puts it on the list. 9. Viola Lee Blues- without it, maybe they never move beyond a garage band? 10. Big River. I have no interest in the versions after 1974, but those from Fall '73 are tight and ripping.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

As you can see I did revise to a Top 10. Hope nobody minds but I did include traditional songs. I should have been more specific and stated non-GD written material/songs. Sorry 'bout that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Best Covers (tie):Viola Lee Blues Morning Dew Not Fade Away Lovelight Best Traditional: I Know You Rider Best under-realized high potential: Werewolves of London
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Viola Lee BluesShe Belongs To Me Morning Dew Big RR Blues Me and My Uncle Sing Me Back Home He Was A Friend Of Mine The Same Thing Lindy (Harry had a dream about a submarine now...I asked her for a piece of banana, she said let me play blues on your pianah) Smokestack Lightning
user picture

Member for

13 years

I could do 10 just of Dylan. All in no particular order. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue She Belongs to Me Desolation Row Visions of Johanna Ballad Of A Thin Man Memphis Blues Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues Watchtower It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry Queen Jane Quinn The Eskimo Other covers I really enjoy: Morning Dew Viola Lee Blues Big RR Blues Death Don't Have No Mercy Nobody's Fault by Mine Midnight Hour Dancin' in the Streets (circa 1970) Gimme Some Lovin' Dear Mr. Fantasy One Kind Favor Smokestack Lightning Katie May Traditionals: Peggy-O Balled of Casey Jones Dark Hollow Deep Elem I Know You Rider Jack-A-Roe A Voice from On High Cold Jordan Little Sadie Sittin' On Top Of The World He Was a Friend of Mine
user picture

Member for

17 years

around the 28-minute mark of Dark Star, 5/11/72, Phil starts to do a little something ... hadn't heard it before. Let me know what it is, if you please.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Morning DewSecond That Emotion Paint My Masterpiece The Weight Maggie’s Farm Let the Good Times Roll Good Lovin’ Revolution Not Fade Away Mighty Quinn
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Interesting, Deadicated. I think Phil wants to move on musically and this is a random thought that just came to his fingers that moment.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....the heat is on. Best cover? Marc Andre Fleury. He covers the entire net.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Favorite Five (as in shows). No wrong answers.. and keep in mind.. for me, that might simply mean the last five shows I have listened to. 2/14/68 11/8/69 2/28/69 6/18/74 (ok, I went there, I just really like it) I don't know what my favorite show is from E72.. Too hard to pick. I will revisit this slot. Shit.. that's five. Not really a spectator sports fan, hope a pivot is ok. Then again, I am not really a musician, so I guess this is my spectators sport. Edit: For most bands.. having five killer live albums would be a crowning achievement. For the GD, it's ridiculous to limit the list to five.
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

That's what I call Phil's spotlight in the '72-73 shows. If I'm burning a D/Led show, I index "Outer Bass" as it's own track (i.e. 01 Dark Star (part 1) > 02 Drums > 03 Outer Bass > 04 Dark Star > 05 Sugar Magnolia). Those Outer Bass-es are awesome parts of the DS/O1/post-Eyes 72/73 jams! On a few in '73 I swear Phil is throwing down a succession of Entwhistle/Who bass quotes, but even on those "school is in session"!Managed to listen to the 5/11/72 DS this past 5/11. The pre-Drums section of DS on 5/11/72 is simultaneously majestic and casual, fluid and tensile; the Billy solo swings and thrums; and Outer Bass is huge and melts into a wonderous group improv before the DS outro. Late in my listen, it occurred to me that this DS might be the perfect "one song" Dead collection! And 5/11/72 might be the best show of E72 (a giant amongst giants).
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

For whatever reason, I finally got around to a first viewing of my DVD of the 9/1/90 JGB show. Wow. Just wow.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

17 years

Has anyone in the UK got their copy of DaP 26 yet?
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

-Jerry & Merle8-11-1974 Keystone Ain't No Woman (Like The One I Got)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

17 years

Just arrived in UK.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

That is one special show, for sure, first time I watched that I went through some major emotions. Supposed to be a dead concert and Jerry stepped up to fill the slot and it turned into a eulogy for the unexpected passing of a dear friend and playing partner only a month earlier. Too many emotions come out when I watch that one. The song selection and playing is just phenomenal but its like going to church and seeing Brent off to the ether, for me its too much to feel the intensity of the emotional dichotomy for casual viewing. I love it but can't watch that one too often!
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

My copy arrived in the UK today, too, along with Quicksilvers Cowboy On The Run January 31st 1976. Going back to cover versions, I like the way the played Around and Around circa 1977, where they would speed up after about 4-5 minutes and seemingly go into an instrumental version of Johnny B. Goode. Speaking of which-the encore of Johnny is brilliant on New Year 1978-Jerry takes off on a short but perfect solo.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

This day in Dead history. Estimated / Eyes linked together for the first time!
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

:)))
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Greek
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 1 month

It has been said plenty. TOO suite from 11/17 is so good, even the drums sequence is fantastic. It’s rather spry and acrobatic
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Anyboby got his DaP 26 in Germany yet?
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Got #14560 incl. bonus discin my Mailbox yesterday. Everything looks fine. No additional taxes as usual. Gar-see-ya JJ
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

... those that have been listed here are great, especially the Dylan tunes. How about "Iko Iko"?... 7/6/87 with the Neville Bros. is high energy and a ton of fun. Also, the "Bobby McGee" from this release (DaP26) may be the best I've ever heard. (Still LOVING this release!) Peace
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The wait is finally over! Announcing a spectacular new box set in all its fully-Normanized glory: "The Grateful Dead Sings About The Weather" - 10 CDs featuring every known version of these classics: Looks Like Rain Here Comes Sunshine Weather Report Suite Black Throated Wind Wave To The Wind Sunshine Daydream Sunrise Box Of Rain Looks Like Rain Cold Rain And Snow Smokestack Lightning Early Morning Rain Shelter From The Storm Easy Wind Samba In The Rain Lazy Lightnin' Rainy Day Woman Rain Mission In The Rain Morning Dew The Flood The Frozen Logger PLUS bonus selections including other song favorites that mention rain, snow, sleet, sunshine, hail (up to and including golf ball-sized), hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, rainbows, wind (gusty and otherwise), monsoons, cyclones, heat, cold, ice, black ice, frost, icicles, sunburn, drought, storm, breezes, fog, frozen tundra (Green Bay especially), drizzle, mist, smog, haze, permafrost, dew and/or dew point, temperature (°F and °C only), thunder and barometric pressure. BUT WAIT!!! The first 10,000 buyers also get the SUPER bonus box set featuring songs about trains, rivers and gambling. And a bunch of songs with colors in the title that start with "B" - black, blue, brown, burnt umber... Watch the announcement video here: Get 'em while they last!!
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Ugh. All that speculation and anticipation over another obvious cash grab?! Such a disappointment! PASS!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

"What, you mean to say there's no Lovin it up/luvvy duvvy stuff, eh, what, no, okay, count me out then" At least DaP 26, number 5893 arrived today.
product sku