• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

This is so strange: listening to the same source, I clearly heard Laurel, while my wife sitting next to me insisted she was hearing Yanny!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Yanny
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

So funny! Just this morning, one of my students played this for me on his phone, and I, along with a VAST majority of the class, clearly heard "Yanny." So much so that I thought he was putting me on as he insisted that it was "laurel." Now, seeing your post and clicking on the link, all that I can hear is "laurel" and I am wondering what the hell I was hearing earlier today. Strange stuff indeed. Peace
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

So, if two people simultaneously listening to the same audio hear two different things, this could explain the Era Debate :-)
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hey Tom BanjoHey a laurel More than laurel You may sow More than laurel You may sow Hey the laurel Hey the city In the rain Hey, hey, Hey the white wheat Waving in the wind
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

lol
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

"yelly" not yanny definitely NOT laurel my daughter hears laurel. it's "yelly", I tell you.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

"another fine debate you've gotten us into" I watched L&H last week. I laughed really hard.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

"another fine debate you've gotten us into" I watched L&H last week. I laughed really hard.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I listened to that clip again and slowed it down, then sped it up. The actual word was neither Yanni nor Laurel, simply Dijon. So I did (well, most of it). A great show.. I always liked it. ..anyway, anything to steer attention away from Yanni (no offense meant). I've been staying away from 74 lately.. Not sure why. Pardon me sir, have you any '74 Dijon?
user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

I'm listening to a lot of Stan Getz lately. Good luck to the Knights. I remember when the Avalanche brought home that cup in their first year here how exciting it was, and how the bandwagon rolled on for quite some time... until that Punk Pierre La Croix traded Chris Drury (for daring to hold out). It was all downhill from there. All of the all-star jams are always pure slop. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, whatever. Under rehearsed, nobody knows where anyone's going. That's most definitely hard liquor in Sammy's cup. Still, a fitting tribute to Otis and Taj. Sam and Bobby have been crossing paths onstage for decades now. It's always a hoot, the maniac Sammy and Bob staring down at his guitar neck. Ah, contrasts.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Most definitely hard liquor in Sammy's cup. That cracked me up. Most definitely, yes.. agree. Also a fitting tribute to Otis and Taj. I think Bob and Sammy are neighbors more or less.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Good stuff, Jazz Samba Encore is one of my favorite albums, just something about it that I find really pleasing. Jazz Samba is also a good album. And of course, gotta dig that Girl From Ipanema as she goes strolling by. Yeah, Stan Getz, really hits the spot sometimes.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Been doing quite a bit of listening over the last couple of weeks after giving this release a couple of spins. Actually been listening to a few different things after seeing references to them on this thread. Saw the references to Fleetwood Mac and Peter Green recently. I had already listened to Rumours a few times recently (Dreams -can't get enough sometimes), so I went with Then Play On, the last Fleetwood Mac album with Peter Green and a great album from start to finish, including the extras on the remastered release. The song Oh Well grabs a hold of me every time I hear it, can't help but turn it up loud, and some of the instrumental songs on the album are top shelf. I also gave a listen to In the Skies, a solo Peter Green album with some haunting stuff, really does it for me, some cool stuff. Check them out if you haven't already. Also been revisiting some previous GD box sets while waiting for the next box set announcement. Listened to 5/11/72 from E'72, 5/17/77 and 5/13/77 from the May 1977 box, and 11/9/73 from the Winterland '73 box set, and before that revisited the 7/8/78 Red Rocks show from the '78 box. All of them hit the spot, really a lucky time to be a deadhead.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Ok Hi I don't post too often, but I really enjoy all the different conversations. I love all the years, 65-95. A couple weeks ago there was a thread rating the Dave's, and Dave's 20 was at the bottom for some folks. There was the Jack Straw train wreck. And those annoying patches. Not a very good choice for a Dave's release, there's gotta be better '80s shows. I was interested, and had only listened to it when I first got it. So I gave it a new spin. On the outset,I gotta say, I've been to many Dead shows where the first set was a warm up set and they get their stride towards the end of the first set. That's part of their charm. Of course, I've seen Dead shows where they come barrelling out of the gate blasting at full force,too. So yeah, that Jack is one heckava train wreck, pretty exciting actually. and damnit, they play through and finish with determination. That's another thing I've seen, and loved. A little rough patch doesn't throw them, cause they have been playing and listening together for decades. And speaking of patches, they are a sudden and unexpected audio surprise, not sounding like a clean soundboard. Maybe they could warn us. So these are rare 80's reel recordings at 7.5 ips, so changing a reel and threading it in the recorder takes a little longer. Admittedly, the long patch for the other one takes way longer than a reel change, so someone wasn't watchin' the reels. I gotta admit, I enjoy the brief excursions into hearing the audience recording during the show and what it sounded like in the room. It's educational in a way to hear, or remember the room ambience with Jerry and the boys jammin'. A lot of times I experience the Dead's unevenness as well there were those highlights... The first set, once they got going had several highlights, enhanced by the sound of a reel recording. Bird Song, Cassidy, and the China>Rider closer come to mind. But the second set is where it's at (often the case). Really, this whole second set is really strong,they are a different band. Scarlet Fire, the Space is really cool, the TOO, sweet Stella Blue, and then it's the rockin' end of the show with four rockers in a row, and come on, ending with Satisfaction! So yeah, this was a great release. Coool stuff. Not perfect, but I'm glad they recorded it, and released it. As many have said, we are so fortunate to have a great band with many awesome releases each year. Gratefully, Scott Thanks to Dave.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

nitecat - Good post, good observations on DaP 20, got me thinking about a couple of things. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I don't really have any complaints about anything that they have released from the vault so far, from One From the Vault onward, and DaP 20 is no exception. What I like about listening to the Grateful Dead is the fact that it detaches some needlessly busy part of my brain and allows me to be present in the moment. I spend most of my existence noticing flaws and asymmetries in the world, it's just how I'm wired, and it can be kind of a bummer. But when I listen to the Grateful Dead I don't notice flaws, it all just flows and I find my mood lifted without conscious thought or effort. When I hear those first few notes from the 2/27/69 Dark Star I still get a shiver up my spine, when I hear the start of Help on the Way from One from the Vault, all is right with the world and my cares just slip away. It's like some cosmic escape hatch from the day to day ennui that life can become if you let it. The only other non-consumable things that routinely produce this effect for me with such predictable regularity are Soul music, certain shades of blue and certain Wordsworth poems. I guess I feel sorry for those who find themselves routinely disappointed by these releases, 'cause they're bringing me nothing but joy and that's priceless.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

But The Main Ten is not really a full-fledged Playing yet, is it. I still think 9/30/71 is the first actual Playing jam ;) I see a reference to Link Wray! Have you all seen "Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked The World" yet? https://www.rumblethemovie.com/home I mentioned this a while back, before it came out. Please check it out, it is well worth your time.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 10 months

As much as I have enjoyed this year's NHL playoffs (which admittedly I've not watched enough of!) we in Regina are so looking forward to this year's Memorial Cup. Starting tomorrow night the 100th anniversary of Canada's major junior hockey championship begins in Regina, hosted by our own Regina Pats, who in turn are recognizing their 100th anniversary season. Very special. The festivities kicked off tonight with the Eagles playing outside in rainy, cold 3C temperatures. Not very nice but the band played an inspired set nonetheless, giving everyone the hits they were hoping for. Kudos to Vince Gill (who seemed to carry the show's lead vocals) and Deacon Frey. TBS still on crutches. But I digress so back to hockey. For those who know nothing of what I'm talking about - the CHL (Cdn Hockey League) championship culminates with the Ontario, Quebec and West (which includes 4 teams from Washington and 1 from Oregon) division Champions meeting to decide junior hockey supremacy. Starting tomorrow night the tournament runs 10 days. Each of the 4 finalist teams (ages 16-20) boasts NHL draft picks and the hockey is fast and furious. A must for any true hockey fan and a 10-day drunk whether you're a hockey fan or not! Check it out if you can find it somewhere. SportsNet is carrying all the games in Canada. PS - Still love the Jets in 7! GO JETS GO!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all... (Had to put the jam version with Stevie Ray Vaughan here, was trying to be a purist and put the Albert King album version here, but this is just too damn good to pass up! Damn, this is like mana from heaven, you will surely forgive me ;)...
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

Holly Bowling's "Better Left Unsung". Just a girl and her grand piano. Dead music (no vocals) played absolutely impeccably perfect, closing with a 27+ minute Dark Star.Also, that "Dear Jerry" live compilation that came out a couple years ago. Jimmy Cliff is awesome. And count me in on the Golden Knight bandwagon.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

tonight. Don't know who it is. But that's why I'm here ;) Good Night, all.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

The Clash cover: When they kick out your front door How you gonna come? With your hands on your head Or on the trigger of your gun? When the law breaks in How you gonna go? Shot down on the pavement Or waiting on death row? You can crush us You can bruise us But you'll have to answer to Oh, the guns of Brixton The money feels good And your life, you like it well But surely your time will come As in heaven, as in hell You see, he feels like Ivan Born under the Brixton sun His game is called surviving At the end of The Harder They Come... Timely?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds...
user picture

Member for

11 years

re: "But The Main Ten is not really a full-fledged Playing yet, is it." True..... but the question was "when was the first playin' jam." They started with just the jam, then turned it into a brief song WITHOUT any real jam, then eventually they added the jam back in.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Anniversary of a fantastic show, in my top 5 E72 shows. Love the Jack Straw, as Jerry and Bobby both come in on the Watchman verse - Bobby is just getting used to having given up this line to Jerry a couple of performances prior. There's a rare Morning Dew and Sitting on Top of the World. The guitars are extra crunchy. There's a little less hiss. The Dark Star is phenomenal, and Jerry's lead guitar work during Rider is about as good as it gets in 1972. And the Playing in the Band features some extra ordinary guitar work from Senor Garcia. I'll also throw in a plug for Donna on this one - I think this one demonstrates how good she can sound on this song when the volume of her vocal is mixed well. That's something you only get on the multitrack mixes, which are relatively rare. Thin, thanks for that bit on The Main Ten. I never noticed this before, which tells me I must somehow have never heard this song, despite having listened to Dick's Picks 16 at least a dozen times in my career. It was one of my first Dead CDs, and my first Dick's Picks. The Uncle John's Band Jam became a staple in my Dead mixes for many years, when mixes were my thing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

One of my favorites too.. and my second favorite cover art from the box. Perhaps I will cycle it up... :D
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

Does anyone remember when Jerry says this in the between song banter on Dave's Picks 26? I can't seem to find it, but I know he says it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I'm not sure. Guess you have to listen to it again. Oh, the horror!!
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I think it's right after Truckin' 11/17 show
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

I'm feeling like it's the false start to Sugaree.
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

Thank you!! I went and listened to the "dead air" at the end of EVERY song on both albums and could not find it. It was driving me NUTS. I had forgotten about the false start of Sugaree, and that's where it is!!! Thanks Keith Fan too, you were kinda right ;-) I am putting together a funny banter collection for a friend, and Jerry always says the funniest things!
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I was lucky enough to see Albert King live, probably the last time he came to England, in 1987. It was at a scuzzy rock joint called the Astoria on Tottenham Court Road in London-the kind of place where there are few seats, and the soles of you shoes stick to the floor from decades of spilt beer. I was at the bar when Albert and his band came on, and I was amazed at the sound he was getting from his guitar, and the deep, soulful meaning of his voice and initial song-which I wasn't familiar with. The closer I got to the stage-and the hall wasn't full-so it was easy to get right up close-the more I fell under his spell. It was quite simply one of the best displays of blues I have ever heard in my life-nothing fancy or showy-just the real deal. Of all his albums-and I'll Play the Blues is a good 'un- the most lauded, and to my mind, the best is the 1967 one he cut with Booker T. and the MGs-Born Under A Bad Sign. The tone of his guitar is fantastic, and what he does with it exceptional. The songs are varied and mostly excellent too. A few weeks ago I wrote that the Robert Johnson was the one blues album everyone should own. This is another one. It has also been released numerous times-but the one with the best sound was released in the Stax Remasters series in 2013. It has the original album, plus 4 alternate takes and an untitled instrumental. You should treat yourself at least once everyday-and buying this bad boy would be great way to do it.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hippychic - great name btw - check out the dead air after Cumberland Blues on 4/14/72. There's a great band / audience exchange there, with Bobby, Pigpen, and Jerry all getting in the act. No banter mix would be complete w/out it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

This a good one: https://archive.org/details/gd1973-12-01.sbd.clugston.6648.sbefail.shnf… So good it gets it's own track - two in fact! Track 20 is great! And of course don't forget the Microphone Monitor Level Test after Cumberland Blues here: https://archive.org/details/gd71-04-22.sbd.clugston.2176.sbeok.shnf/gd7… Calling Dr. Beechwood: https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-13.sbd.miller.9393.sbeok.shnf#
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

another album you should try to find is "jammed together" with albert king, steve cropper, and pops staples. check it out!!!!
user picture

Member for

11 years

Once you've heard 2 or 3 of his songs you've heard them all. Plays a lot of the same hooks over and over in different songs. He was known to be a bit abrasive I believe. His albums all credit "Albert King - guitar & vocals" and thats it! No bass player/drummer acknowledgement. I think he borrowed guys wherever he went, and sometimes brought his own guys but was careful not to share recognition or album credits - Looking out for #1. Also, it's funny to listen to him patronize Stevie Ray Vaughan on that joint album: "You'll get better, you'll get better..." while Stevie is CLEARLY kicking Albert's ass with his Strat. Freddie King on the other hand has a little more diversity on his music (some songs with lyrics, and many without), and could shred like crazy. Tone for days. I love Freddie... he was a huge influence on Clapton. Then there's Riley B. King, aka "B.B.", aka God. The gospel can be heard on "Live at the Regal". If you don't have this album, get it. No one should be walking around unaware of that one....
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

final Comes A Time and they did allright. feels like waving goodbye forever to a friend or something.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I keep forgetting about that one, mp51-so thanks for reminding me. I have heard a couple of tracks on Stax compilations, and they are stellar. I have to disagree with your good self, though, Thin. The Born Under a Bad Sign album is full of variety, with blues standards, ballads-and what would become blues rock classics. That's variety just on the one album-there's plenty more as he branches out live on live Wire-Blues Power and then into soul music as the 70s progressed. He had a signature style, for sure,but I can happily listen to his albums all the way thorough without hearing the same song with different titles. I must also say that there are plenty of band credits on cds I have got. Again, Born Under A Bad Sign is fully credited, as are many others. One that isn't, is the afore mentioned Live Wire-Blues Power, although the accompanying volumes-Wednesday Night and Thursday Night in San Francisco both list who is playing what. I wonder if the cds you have are on budget labels, which may have been a bit more slapdash in their presentation. Albert was also a major influence on Eric Clapton-Strange Brew is a composite of Alberts licks from Oh, Pretty Woman-with psychedelic lyrics added. Sorry for being disputatious-I agree that Freddie and B.B. are great too-Live at The Regal is another blues album everyone should own.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Wow, I had different view of the Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn video.I thought Stevie was respectful like he was looking up to one of the Masters. Albert was all about feel and emotion. Hendrix said he liked that Albert played one style , straight funk blues. Clapton , Hendrix , Mick Taylor and a lot of the British players copied his fat sound. I like all the Kings. I always thought B.B. and Albert were singers first and player second. Now Freddie was a bit rough and could make that guitar howl.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

It's Friday, I have a nice wine buzz going and daves picks 9 to keep me company tonight. Things could be worse. Regarding 5/18/72...agree it's a great one. Then again I'd have trouble picking one from that tour that wasn't great. Good problem to have I guess... Is it too early to start guessing the next daves picks? Put me down for an early Brent-era show. 12/1/79. Hope everyone has a peaceful weekend-
user picture

Member for

11 years

I tend to oversimplify a bit, and I honestly haven't done the Albert dive in a decade. I'll defer too you until I do that again. But I do specifically remember reading something about Albert being difficult and kinda treating his sidemen with indifference, so to speak. A bit of a lone wolf? Hope I'm not getting confused. The article said something players not getting credits which prompted me to notice that exact detail on the first CD I picked up. NO disrespect to Albert though. I went deep into the Blues about 15 years ago. Took me 2 years ween myself off again. So much great stuff.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Interesting seeing all the comments on the blues, and on the famous “Kings.” I have listened to many of the greats for many years, and my personal favorites are Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, T-Bone Walker and Buddy Guy. Everyone else is behind them, for my taste.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....one more win until Winterland. Pick a year. Any year. What a ride! What a team! What a coaching staff! What the fuck?! I'm in awe. History is happening people. I'm just happy to be here.
product sku