• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Dave's 26 of course-love itDave's 20 great second set Fleetwood Mac Rumours, reissue has a great live show Roy Bhucanan Live at Town Hall 1974-brand new Real Gone release of early and late show I saw him three times, man what a talent. Traffic working my way through their albums Paul Butterfield Rhino box Complete albums 1965-1980 I saw him once in a small club Gram Parsons the complete reprise sessions Miles Davis box Quintet 65-68 TTATS 1992 Strong show with Bruce & Vince, Shakedown Dark Star GarciaLive 7 with Kieth & Donna at Sophies in Palo Alto, I was there. Great Betty.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Did not get to watch because of soccer and guests after, but just saw the score. Not looking good for my beloved Jets.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Thanks for the kind words. I agree I listen every night to a different dead year, and it takes me away to wonderful memories and music. Feel so lucky.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

GRATEFUL DEAD. Rode the 5-18-72 train today, then hopped the tracks to 5-16-72. Now taking a brief siding and watching Hard Working Americans - The First Waltz DVD. HWA is an awesome band.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I've been listening a lot to lately.GRATEFUL DEAD. Ha. My brother is up for the weekend and its been raining like hell for weeks. He's a moderate dead fan.. I carefully explained to him that I listen to more GD now than perhaps I ever have before. He seemed to understand. Seems rational and reasonable to me. Anybody heard from David Duryea? I miss his positive input here. I hope all is well. Oh.. Terrapin Moon.. I was at that last Comes a Time show at the cap center. It was a wedding present to me and the bride I never ended up marrying. Serendipitous I guess.. I think we all ended up better for it. I can say I did not enjoy that show with the exception of the Comes A Time. I have a soft spot for that song.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Your brother will understand, and eventually accept.You just have to ease him in. And for me, why am I even still up at 2am? Oh yeah, watching Pink Floyd Pulse DVD. Pink Floyd is the only royalty from Britain I accept.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I listen to a fair amount of blues and continue to expand the blues portion of my music collection. I think my favorite blues artists at this point would be Albert King, Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells and Robert Cray, but there are a lot of other great blues artists as well, to each his own. I would agree that Born Under a Bad Sign is a high point for Albert King, and Thursday Night in San Francisco smokes, dig the song Crosscut Saw on both of those a lot. I recently picked up I'll Play the Blues for You along with Blues at Sunset, both of which are excellent Albert King selections, still soaking them in. As for Buddy Guy, I have picked up just about all of his earlier recordings that I can find, and especially some of the stuff he did with Junior Wells, including most recently picking up the album Drinking TNT and Smokin' Dynamite, live stuff from the 1974 Montreux Jazz Festival and well worth checking out. The albums Hoodoo Man Blues and It's My Life Baby with Buddy Guy and Junior Wells are both absolutely smoking. Willie Dixon's album I Am the Blues is a classic no collection should be without. Robert Cray's album Strong Persuader is another classic for me, just evokes some pleasant mid '80's memories and his album Who's Been Talking is another that just hits the spot sometimes. Always nice to find new stuff to listen to and grok. I like seeing the musical references on these threads, I have picked up a lot of great stuff after seeing someone on these threads recommend an album or artist, hopefully I can turn on others to some good stuff they may not have heard before. nitecat, I recently picked up that remastered Rumours just out of curiosity about the disc of live stuff and found it a cool addition. As I said previously, there is something about the song Dreams that just never gets old for me, and that entire album is classic from start to finish, so kind of cool to hear live versions of the songs.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sorry to post 2 nights in a row, not my usual MO... Anyway, I believe I'm on record here (maybe a year or so ago?) as saying that Freddie was my favorite of the 3, but I've got to say now that Albert has edged up and is in a tie with Freddie in my book. BB, sorry, but contrary to his popularity, is not in the running... But what I really wanted to say is, if you listen/view the Stevie Ray/Albert video I posted, you will see that Albert comes to realize that Stevie Ray has become the Student that has surpassed the Master (at least, technically), and although there is a sadness there, there is only mutual respect between the two (master and student), and it is really quite an insight we are given access to (though perhaps unintentionally). In any case...amazing fking music, we can all agree on that! Now, go ye and watch "Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked The World" and learn a bit more about Buddy Guy and others (like Rhiannon Giddens) and yes, even fking Jimi Hendrix (yeah, he was an Indian too!, "Little Wing" and "Castles Made Of Sand" should have clued you in)! If you guys go watch it, I promise not to haunt these boards for another month ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Drinkin' TNT 'n' Smokin' Dynomite" is one of my most prized CD possessions....but then, so are all my Buddy Guy & Junior Wells CDs...but that is "the one" I would use to turn someone on to them.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Mississippi John Hurt. Nobody seems to have mentioned him. Maybe not the best on the guitar but he can always brighten up the day with his songs.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I have never heard "Drinkin' TNT..", so I must look it up. One of my favourites is called "Blues Giant", which was recorded live in France 1979, with his brother Phil on rhythm guitar. Buddy plays like a demon-its almost the opposite of Albert Kings economical style. In France he never plays one note when twelve will do-the rest of the band are left clinging to his coat tails. This cd has also been released with the name "Stone Crazy" There was also a great film of Buddy playing live around this time, called "Chicago Blues". This is with Junior Wells. Again, it is fast and furious-the versions of We're Ready-which opens the film accompanied by shots of Chicago -and First Time I Met The Blues are incendiary. But as an overall album, my favourite may be the much more recent "Sweet Tea" which he cut on the Fat Possum label in 2001. This one is slow and brooding-but very powerful. Buddy sounds more at one with the band and the song, compared to the earlier ones, where he goes like the wind.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yup, I like him, too. I think he was one of the country bluesman who were "rediscovered" in the early 1960s, and presented to white audiences as the real thing at various folk festivals. Well, they actually WERE the real thing. The tracks I have heard by John Hurt seem gentler -almost delicate compared to the metal guitar bashing fire and brimstone approach of Bukka White-or particularly Son House. I actually prefer the latter-but there is so much from the early blues years that is worth exploring. So much so, that I can forget what I am here for-to discuss The Dead. So apologies for all this! Before I go though another great country bluesman who resurfaced in the early 1960s was Skip James. His recordings from the 1930s sound almost ghostly.
user picture

Member for

17 years

I like Ms. John Hurt, too. Avalon Blues: 1928 Okeh Recordings - a gentleman of the Blues. Roy Buchanan's recently expanded "Livestock" release is worth the bucks. We owe him for his influence on Jerry - Europe '72 would have been a lot different. Listening to a just downloaded/burned from Midnight Café NRPS set from Stonybrook, 10/31/70 - love Jerry's steel. Will attempt to listen to in their entirety 5/19/77 - nice Sugaree - and 5/18/72. Soft spots - two favs, 12/05 & 10/71. From day to day just lettin' it ride ...
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Again more money spent, you made me order the Paul Butterfield Rhino box. 60 bucks delivered (don't tell my wife!) I was shocked, shocked I tell you to see I had NO Paul in the collection. I had quite a sundry of single cuts from "blues" collections with him and his, but NO folder for Paul. This was a nice thing to get since it appears to be all his albums. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

I always dug John Lee Hooker about as much as any of the old school blues cats, because that man done have the boogie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_IZlOJv94 Like Jimmy Reed, John Lee's music always had that groove and swing and was totally in the pocket. I'm also a big fan of Freddie King's "Going Down." There's too many to mention, but the blues is awesome. And yes I think Stevie Ray Vaughan did it justice.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

..being referenced on here. As ever. Superb tracks by John Hurt-graceful is the word that comes to mind. John Lee Hooker-tremendous. Incredible to think that Boogie Chillen was first cut in 1948. The Paul Butterfield I have is in one of those budget collections of complete albums-where you get about 5 for the price of about one. There is one of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band in this series. The great ones, by some distance, are the first two-the first named after the band-the second "East West"- which have both got Mike Bloomfield on. "East West" seems to be the most highly thought of, with its extended jams -but the first is my favourite. The last of these budget box sets I bought was by the New Riders, who have just been mentioned on here. The only album I have ever owned by them is the first, which I have always rated highly-but I always got the impression they went down hill after that. But these albums in this box are alright. After the first its got "Powerglide", "Gypsy Cowboy" "The Adventures of Panama Red" and "Home Home On The Road". Theres no information in these sets, but I get the impression that the Deads involvement stopped after the first. After a first listen, "Panama Red" was the one I enjoyed most.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

He lived in San Carlos, not far from San Francisco, in the late 80s. He used to eat have lunch alone at the (now gone)Lyons on El Camino; saw him there a coupla' times and he looked great, impeccably dressed, sporting his hat with a feather on it.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

I have the previous night's gig in Ohio amongst others. Someone want to trade me that gig for another or point me in the right direction for the download? I also can't lock in a copy of their set on 8-27-72. Would love a copy of that. if any of you have listened to that set you know why. MAN! Stoked the New Riders came up! I have a Betty Board of their opening set on 5-26-72 from the Lyceum if any of you want a copy. DM me. Would love to trade some New Riders! As for the assessment, yes they were without Jerome and Phil after the first album. Dave Torbet on bass was great. Wrote a lot of great material. Their first 5 albums are most definitely the best. Live stuff is ace. Buddy Cage is no slouch on the slide either. The guy tears holes in the cosmos on the right tracks. Death and Destruction, Dirty Business, etc. Also played slide on Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. Funny story about the recording of Meet Me in the Morning. Yeah, New Riders!
user picture

Member for

17 years

Great Jerry steel - go to Archive and download Flac NRPS April Fillmore East sets. Fine, fine sounding. I like Buddy Cage, he's great, but for me he pales compared with Garcia. That first NRPS record is really well done. Special occasion stuff.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Some time ago daverock mentioned the band Larkin Poe on these here pages. I checked out some of their videos on youtube and was impressed so I forwarded a couple of videos to my son, who lives in Los Angeles and shares my love of the Dead. He was impressed enough to check them out live last night in a small club in LA. They tore the roof off the place. That's how it works. Community. Word of mouth. Growth.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Their first album is the one. Back in the day that album took pride of place right next to Live Dead and Skull and Roses in many heads dorm room record collections. I still have it on vinyl.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Oh that has happened to me so many times, the most recent was someone posted about the new Roy Buchanon live cd, I had to pre-order it right away! And that Miles box came with high regards from this group. East West was a real hit for me when it first came out-played it all the time.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

LaMonte Young And The Forever Bad Blues Band. Just Stompin! Live At The Kitchen. 2 CD set live recording of entire show.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Fully agreed that Buddy doesn't compare to Jer. I have those shows that I ripped off the archive. Between the Pirates Bay and the Archive and one friend, I never had to search too hard for NRPS boots aside from the two I inquired about. Get the Betty Board 5-26-72 and there is another set from 69 at the Matrix, both available on Pirates Bay. Great stuff. Hell, just raid their stock of NRPS. They have an abundance. I even like the stuff Post Marmaduke. Seen Dave Nelson Band and the New, New Riders as I call them a couple times. Always a hoot...
user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Nassau (Grateful Dead Go To Nassau, May 15 & 16, 1980) this week. I am late a couple days but what the hell. I like this one a lot. Jer is fucked up; so what, it was 1980. An interesting listen. Brent sings so soulful and laid-back he sounds like Warren Haynes! Way before the latter-day histrionics. This is Brent-era at it's very finest. Most of these one-offs (Nassau, Buffalo, Nightfall of Diamonds, etc.) are pretty kick-ass and kind of fall off the radar faster than the "Picks" in the series. I'm just sayin'. If you have Nassau, give it a spin. Nice weekend listening.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Morning Dew a top ten of all time version
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

Great DEW!! Did you notice the St. Stephen tease at the end of NFA? Grate show. Stagger Lee is perfectly slow!! Love THE DEAD.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Digging the banter lately. I find myself humbled by the collective knowledge that frequents these threads. I try and keep up, but alas.. there is so much good music tossed around here I no matter how hard I delve I just can't absorb it all. Great stuff, keep the good taste and listening nuggets coming. Go To Nassau is excellent and recorded in true multi-track glory. I guess we have either Deadset or The King Biscuit Flower Hour to thank for that. I suspect if the post Betty years were gloriously documented on tape opinions would shift a bit in the mundane era discussions. Thanks for the 79 discussion. I think it's an under-represent year and will one day make a Dave's Picks debut. Many thanks for the enlightening discussions here of late.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I listened to them on their anniversaries.Did 5-16,18-72 yesterday. Did 5-19-77 today, then 5-14-74, now 7-16-76 Blues is good, but Dead is best. And that’s what I spend 99% of my time listening to.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

R.L. Burnside is pretty happening. Check out Well...Well...Well... :o)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just buy "Drinkin' TNT..." you won't be disappointed. It's a live recording from the Montreaux Jazz Festival, with Bill Wyman, and Pinetop Perkins sitting in. I have "Stone Crazy" in my collection, but never heard of "Sweet Tea" before now. Going to rectify that right now and will be ordering it ASAP, since in Daverock I trust :) Speaking of recent releases, Amazon has informed me that they recommend that I purchase the brand new albums from Ry Cooder (May 2018) and Van Morrison & Joey Defrancesco (April 2018). I did the preview listen thing, but they didn't really grab me. Still, I will probably add the Ry Cooder one to my cart along with "Sweat Tea," because Ry Cooder albums often need some time to grow on you in my experience. Thanks for all the breadcrumbs...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

did anyone else listen to DP29 tonight? My all-time favorite Peggy-O on disc 1, with a haunting Jerry solo, especially the harmonics at about 3:48, sends chills down my spine every time. But then Disc 3...one of the greatest single discs of GOGD ever released. And for some reason, lost way back in my teenage memory somewhere, but that "Wheel" is the archetypical one for me. I know many will argue against it with great alternatives, but that was the one for me, perhaps it was the first one I ever heard and it made a special imprint upon my brain, I don't know anymore, but it certainly touches a deep part of my soul. Night all.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

"But then Disc 3...one of the greatest single discs of GOGD ever released." YES. 100 times, yes! The intro to UJB is an amazing moment when the "Just Exactly Perfect Band" moves to the next level, transforming for a bit into the hairy ride of a '69 night while maintaining the "Just Exactly Perfect" group dexterity. Peak Dead. I could live with only 5/9 and 19 if some sort of restriction on '77 release ownership ever became law. Would really miss 6/9 and 9/3 though!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

I guess we're not so different, after all! :) I see you also prefer 5/9 of the holy trinity, as do I, instead of the acclaimed 5/8, like many/most. Not that there's anything wrong with 5/8, I still love it too, but 5/9 is just more my speed. I sure hope no '77 release restriction becomes law, because then I'll de facto become an instant outlaw, and that wouldn't be a good thing for me because I'm really looking forward to my pension someday, lol, and I'm already halfway there. Have a good one...
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

This Dave’s 26 bonus disc really is the shit.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

panama red, panama red, with his white horse Mescalito he comes cruising through town, better hope your woman's not up in bed with old, Panama red. Always loved that LP, kick in the head is a great tune too. I remember back in the early 70's a friend had a friend send a friend some real panama red, from panama, it was quite good for the times. Not Colombian Redbud, but it was still fine smoke, just the tops, no seeds or stems. the 1st lp by NRPS is so sweet and sublime, just love it too.
user picture

Member for

16 years

Typical massive Summer 1973 show:https://archive.org/details/gd1973-05-20.sbd.miller.86905.sbeok.flac16/… Morning, rockers!!!! Not claiming to be a "victim", or seeking sympathy, but might as well come out now with what a few of you are already aware of. On May 3 (is it weird that this happened on the anniversary of my favorite Europe 72 show?), at approximately 3 pm, while at work,I had two strokes effecting the language processing center of my brain. I received rapid, excellent medical attention. I am deeply indebted to the Fire/Rescue personnel, technicians, nurses, and doctors who cared for me. And of course my wife, Faith, whose unwavering love and support is inspirational. I am a lucky man. I have only a very slight, barely noticeable residual deficit. It could have been much worse. It's odd to have to think of my brain as "damaged", yet some how it is. Others have been dealt harsher hands than this. I shall move forward, continuing to be grateful, humble, and kind........... There are lessons to be learned from all this. Life is short, and fragile. Savor it. Luxuriate in it. Never forget that love conquers fear. Thanks for listening. Rock on, my friends! Doc P.S. Amazing that years of serious drug abuse didn't put a dent in my brain, but one little blood clot can really f*ck up one's day.............
user picture

Member for

10 years

Holy shit Doc! What an odyssey you've just been thru. So glad you made it out relatively unscathed. The mind's an amazing and awe-some place to live. Onward!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

Doc-wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. Glad to see you're well enough to post here and continue to share the music you love. I think I speak for everyone when I say you're one of the most respected and appreciated members of this community. Take care and thanks for keeping us updated!
product sku