• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • stoltzfus

What dont you get vguy?

Juss askin

• stoltzfus

Makes a hard man humble

80s pop song reference

• Vguy72

....who doesn't get the 30 Days Of Dead? I mean. I just don't get it.
    Jim. Still on the Rush references. Lol.
    Regarding bears. Went camping years ago with a friend in Yosemite. Packed his boombox (yeah. That long ago) into our tent. I asked him why? "Because bears don't like loud music."
    Sure enough, a bear was snuffling around in the early hours. I smelled it before I heard it. Cue Metallica's Ride The Lightning. Bear gone. Vguy checking his shorts.

• JimInMD

Ha

Can't argue with reason.

I'm a major train guy.. how could I not see that?

• icecrmcnkd

‘Train Wreck’ has only good memories.
    Ask KF.

What this mess needs is Jimmy Buffett.

“Wasting away again in Customer Service land.
    Searching for my lost package of DaP32.
    Some people say there’s a warehouse to blame.
    But I know, it’s not my damn fault.”

• JimInMD

Customer Service, Train Wrecked to Bangkok?

• JimInMD

Bear got his nickname because he was a hairy, hairy dude.. he was also (I think) a trained dancer.. so when he twirled, which he did.. there was a bit of a strange aura about it (imagine that). A psychedelically, awkwardly graceful twirler perhaps. To Cone Kids point, the dancing bear was born first appearing on the cover of Bears Choice.

If I got any of this wrong.. feel free to add

• icecrmcnkd

Bear’s Choice, the album.
    The bears are on the cover.

• KeithFan2112

Got me again Jimbo. I'm as gullible as they come.

Speaking of bears, my daughter asked me when the Grateful Dead bears became part of the Grateful Dead culture. I don't rightly know. I don't know if that is how today's discussion got started but I only turned into the last couple posts here. I know the Steel Your Face logo is been around since the early 70s, and obviously Bertha AKA skull and roses has been around for just about as long. I assume the turtles came along with Terrapin Station, not that I've seen one on the front cover.... Wait that's Shakedown Street nevermind. Don't mind me I've never listened to a studio Dead record except for the 5.1 surround sound American Beauty that Uncle Gary gave me. And of course I've heard the three big ones off of in the dark and I love them, as well as Foolish Heart. But I'm way off track here.

What I came here to say is there is Les Dark Star in the 46 minute version from December 6th 1973 than there is from this Philly Spectrum show. I listen to that puppy twice through today and with the exception of about two or three minutes of the first verse, the rest of it has no more to do with Dark Star then the Philly Jam track that precedes the 4-minute Dark Star on this new Dave's Picks. It had been a while since I put that one on and I decided I was going to get down with it today. It's still 43:33 minutes of pick my face up off of the floor Fender Rhodes / Wolf extravaganza. Plus a few DaP 9 Jim-type nightmarish atonal meltdowns (sequentially speaking they weren't that far off from each other).

I'll tell you what else I did. And stop me if I mention this because I did this last week wants too. I listen to the other one, Parts 1 2 and 3 in sequential order with crossfades in between so that it made one big other one. May 3rd 1972. It's a different kind of experience. You should try it sometime. Naturally I proceeded it with Trucking and succeeded it with Wharf rat so it was all good.

• icecrmcnkd

That’s where I think Customer Service moved. Bangkok.

It would be funny if the spambots started using Rush references to get KF’s attention.
    KF = potassium fluoride.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html