• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • simonrob

The bears are indeed aggressive, particularly if you try to tackle one, as one villager found out to his cost. They break into houses to steal potatoes and drink chhang, the local home brewed beer. Himalayan bears are quite a bit smaller than their north American cousins but still big enough to be a serious problem.

• PhoffiFozz

I really dislike when people come on here and complain... as if someone is really listening. But now I understand that it must be therapeutic for those who truly have a gripe.

I am truly appalled with the fact that it's November 26th and I still haven't received Dave's Picks 32.

I've been ordering from Grateful Dead since the 90's with Dick's Picks Volume 3. I have been a subscriber to all the subscriptions, bought all of the box sets, etc. And I'm very grateful for the amount of quality product put out by this organization.

However, the situation I've been going through to get something I paid for over a year ago as part of subscription is just really discouraging and an example of the type of horrible customer service that should not be associated with Grateful Dead.

The first part of this situation that bothers me is that other people in the Chicago area had theirs on time, so why would it just be me that don't have the product for?

The second part that bothers me is the slow response time via email, with only the excuse (which has been an excuse for a LONG time) being that they are moving warehouses. Okay, so why could you ship to my neighbors, but not me?

The third part that was completely discouraging was the first time I called customer service, the lady was rude and didn't help me figure out what was going on. When it gave me an option to take a survey, there was no survey and it hung up on me. - The next time I called, there was a much more friendly lady, but she wasn't able to help much more than assure me that I'll "eventually" get the disc.

The final thing that is really pushing me over the edge, more than 2 weeks after my initial email I received a response stating "they'll send a replacement disc in 6-8 weeks". Really? 6-8 weeks, it doesn't take that long to ship initially. Plus there is no explanation as to WHY. AND this is not a replacement disc. This is the INITIAL order that was never shipped, confirmed by the lady I spoke with on the phone. No particular reason it was never shipped.

So anyway, this is how a long-time customer gets treated in the 2019 market place. It's sad. All I want to do is listen to some great music, that I paid for or at least an detailed explanation as to when and why I will get this music.

6-8 weeks is going to push us into 2020 when I should be anticipating the next year's subscription disc, not waiting for my last one to come.

I get the state of the music industry and I get how it can become chaotic to move a warehouse (even if I don't see how it can possibly take this long and disrupt so many aspects of the business) but what I cannot understand is the lack of care for the customers, because without us, there is no business and EVERY company I have ever worked for has always believed that and tried to make things right when the customer is wrong.

I hear from others that this is an excellent Pick, I'd love to give my endorsement and maybe someday I will be able to. But I know it doesn't matter much to anyone and only hurts myself, but if I have to go through this even one more time, a long time customer will be gone for good. After all, I have countless box sets, An entire Dick's Picks Series, an entire Road Trip series, vault releases, view from the vault releases, Dave's Picks through 31, bonus discs for all the above, if it's going to be a stressful, painful experience, then I'll keep my money and enjoy all that music I already own.

• JimInMD

Yes.. any Yeti sightings? Or did you happen to cross paths with any Yeti trackers? Lemieux? :D

..yes, Sixtus, the second set does circulate, but except for wilfredtjones hearing what he thought was a soundboard recording of Althea (??) from one of Lemieux's programs (30 days? Jam of the Week??) I haven't heard hide nor hair of a first set soundboard.

It's an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma. What is the deal with Gainesville? Did it even occur or is a cruel hoax manufactured in the studio just to mess with us?

ah.. Simon. I can relate to bear problems, are they aggressive or do they just dig Himalayan Carry-Out?

• simonrob

Nope, none, but the village where we were staying has a serious bear problem. Not nice when the toilet is outside and you need to go there in the night. We survived.

• stoltzfus

6/10/73?
    11/19/72?
    7/2/88?
    Gainesville? (of course. Even Alexander the Great, destroyer of the Gordian knot, would be perplexed about this)
    3/21/73?
    3/16/73?
    many shows from October and November and December 72?

what about flushing CAPTCHA?

• Sixtus_

What about GAINESVILLE?????

I cheated and broke it out a few days early and listened to this second set on the way in today. It is fantastic for an aud, but we all know this. Although, now that I am looking at the lineage on this link, it appears it says SBD but that can't be, can it? I have't listened to this one in the moment as I am at work....

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-11-29.139321.set2.sbd.miller.flac24

I think Simonrob wins the internet for his travel destination....wow, the Himalayas.
    Any Yeti sightings?

Sixtus

• simonrob

Just got back from a 3 week jaunt to the Nepal Himalaya to visit my wife's family in Rasuwa, land of the Tamangs. As a result I have not been able to keep up with posts on here. When I got back I found my copy of Dave's 32 waiting for me. Together with the Giants box, which I have not yet had time to listen to in its entirety, and 3 weeks worth of 30 Days to download, the next days should be just great. I see GarciaLive Vol. 12 is coming - Garcia-Saunders, my favourite! I did see a couple of posts about retirement on here. Tomorrow being my birthday means that I then have just 4 more months working for the man before I can retire - in their infinite wisdom the Dutch government has set the retirement age for people born in 1953 to 66 years and 4 months (?). What on earth am I gonna do with all that free time? Sleep late and listen to more GD of course.

• JimInMD

Grateful Week it is.. all week long here too. Nice connection.

I had the news on last night as I was making dinner in the other room. Someone made a comment, like I was there in 1974 or something.. without skipping a beat the interviewer said like you were at a dead show at the Fillmore? and the interviewee said, no I only went to one dead show and it wasn't at the Fillmore and it wasn't 1974. I thought that was interesting.. Should have said Winterland.

• Roguedeadguy

11-25-82 from the Bob Marley Performing Arts Center in Negril. Yah Mon. Its an upbeat, peppy show --- not a mind melter --- but perfect for enjoying at home during your day off when your spouse isn't there to complain about how loud you're cranking it.

There's a terrific Charlie Miller-ized board on the archive. Sounds as good as some official releases IMHO.

After that I went for 11-18-72, the RSD release from awhile back. That Playin' . . . lawdy. Then I went back to the archive for the last two tracks that aren't on the CD. Again, really good sound from my laptop through my big boy speakers downstairs.

Then I noticed 11-19-72 has a Miller-ized copy on the archive. A full show and then some, probably to make up for the abbreviated set from the previous night. Mmmmmm.

Concluded my Grateful Day with my From the Mars Hotel vinyl. That's a really good album. The Dead don't get enough credit for putting out quality albums, with good songs that are very well produced. Well, except for that choral chanting part of Terrapin Station :)

Since Thanksgiving is about being thankful, and grateful is more or less synomonous with thankful, I'm declaring it Grateful Week at the Roguedeadguy estate. There is so much good November material. Ima try to get to it all.

• bob t
    All the Boston Music Hall 11/30..12/2/73 Dick's Picks talk

Finished with Feyline Field 11/25/73 and just put 12/1/73 on. Have't listened to for over a decade. Usually just play the Dick's picks compilation shows and forget that they left a complete show out... bob t

P.S. so totally forgot about the banter between the songs about the aisles being fire hazards!!!! sound quality is amazing on internet archive!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html