• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’m out of the business, and into rock n roll

https://youtu.be/jvOw8w6dOCE

Check our Vince........

Edit:
    There’s a close up of him at 14:11

Edit2:
    Check out Vince’s hair on this one.

https://youtu.be/rs9wuaVV33I

• JimInMD

It stings, but hey.. If it's bearded skeletons people want, who I am to interfere.

My tech venture, beardbegone.. it be gone.

Too funny, that first pic completely cracked me up. Thanks for that Wadeocu..

Now, I begone.. back to your previously scheduled Day Job encore.

• stoltzfus

I remember hearing that on tape in a very special state of mind

It was cool

Ollin Arageed > Fire on the Mountain > Iko Iko

• KeithFan2112

Btw your avatar comes from a poster called Sunshine Daydream that I used to have framed over my fireplace. Skeleton smoking on an island beach, looking out over the ocean, right?

To answer your question Butch, I'm having trouble coming up with a subtitle for this one. Ideas welcome. When I say I'm having trouble, I mean the best I could come up with is "Live at the Spectrum Spring '73".

• Butch
    Grate Day, I can't get enough of this show

Thanks Dave!!! Well done.

Jim, I had no idea Merle was in jail, but yes, heavy lyrics. Disc 3 won't let you down.

Deadvikes, I'm with you on the painfully slow Iko Iko. They play it slowly on Rocking the Cradle too. I haven't put the rest of 11/4 to the test in many months. I will give DaP 32 a break now and put it on.

KeithFan2112, this statement cracked me up when you said, "I weaved the Wharf Rat from Baltimore on 3/26 into my DaP 32 after Dark Star. A six second crossfade blends it in almost seamlessly, since the Wharf Rat chords are already in progress at the end of the Dark Star." I love how you figure if Dick snd Dave can take editorial liberties, then you can too. I don't know if yo remember, but you sent me your version of "Skeleton Skaters" last year, which includes a few songs from the same run. If you're doing that with DaP 33, I'll take one. What did you name that one?

• bob t

Play France from Shakedown Street album!!!!

• KeithFan2112

Saw your comment Jimbo. I usually reach for Brokedown Palace in my attempts to open people up. Nice factoid on Merle. Lyrical content of SMBH, Black Peter, and China Doll bum me out, so I usually skip. But in my pursuit of best versions, I always give them a once-over.

There was a recent Black Peter, either from 1971 (DaP 22 or 26); or from 1973 (PNW 1st or 3rd show) that was played with unusual greatness. You recall? Dave may have given it a callout in the Seaside chat.

China Doll from DaP 17 - wow. This one comes out of Eyes of the World and both tracks have extraordinarily well sung choruses (and somebody knocks a bottle over on China Doll right next to a mic; this is the perfect accidental "effect" to complement the setting established in the lyrics (i.e. dark, alleyway, with a street light at the other end illuminating a light misty rain). It's maybe not quite a Woodstock sunrise on See Me Feel Me to close out Tommy (what is?), but there's always a little space for the current surroundings to sink into a performance. I used to be into Dave Matthews Band, and there's a live performance of Two Step with thunder crackling in the background as the two minute intro plays out.

Major diversion there. Bottom line is I weaved the Wharf Rat from Baltimore on 3/26 into my DaP 32 after Dark Star. A six second crossfade blends it in almost seamlessly, since the Wharf Rat chords are already in progress at the end of the Dark Star.

Atta boy Deadvikes. Yeah I know what you mean about Iko Iko. My first was alongside 100K at JFK on 7/7/89. But I did get used to the slow versions.

• DeadVikes

This one is for you Keithfan. I have been listening to 11/4/77, Dave's 12, in the car this week. Love the release with the exception of their first Iko Iko. Thank god this got better in the 80s. This one does not do it for me and it is 10 minutes! So slow and the band doesn't really seem to know how they want to play the song.

Have not gotten through all of 32 yet, will have it done by tomorrow night.

• wadeocu
    Default Avatar

Dr.Jim - You've got a lot of catching up to do with that new app of yours! Of course I have considered branching out with my beard applicator to make sure even non-dead heads may come to know the power of the bearded skeleton. Imagine it - high school biology books, Iron Maiden merch, doctor's offices, and then there is (shuddering from excitement) the Halloween industry! The potential really is as far reaching as one's imagination can carry them. Yes sir, I envision that great day in the future when I can turn to all the bearded skeletons and say "yes, we are indeed everywhere!"

I wish you luck with your BeardBeGone App (R) TM, but I do not apologize for that choking sensation you are feeling now; that is just my dust that you are now dining on! - WadeO

• JimInMD

A nice little song, semi-autobiographical.. written while Merle Haggard was in prison contemplating the fate of his cellmate who was sentenced to death by gas. I think it was first sung to his cellmate shortly before he met his maker.

As a fan of Wharf Rat, I like the change up..

I haven't had a chance to give 32 a complete spin yet.. argh.. hopefully it sounds at least as good as I remembered it.

This is one of those songs I try to play for people that think all GD sounds the same, incessant noodling, bad vocals and a stoned out Garcia behind the wheel of a bus to never-ever land.

Sing Me Back Home, A Voice from on High, Cold Jordan, Unbroken Chain (studio).. these songs sort of crush that stereotype (I think?).

An early cover of this song appears on the Everly Brothers album Roots which also included Mama Tried. The Flying Burrito Brothers attempted a recording in 1970, the Byrds also dabbled with it in 69, but both were released much later. I wonder what influenced Garcia's decision to bring it into the GD fold? My guess is Parsons and the Festival Express train ride.. but who knows for sure. Giving this some thought, I bet a lot of that '71 Country feel was heavily influenced on that famed 1970 Train.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html