• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • KeithFan2112

I just listened to the DaP 32 Dark Star for the first time. Jerry starts strumming those beautiful Wharf Rat chords at the end, then suddenly switches gear and does Sing Me Back Home. Ouch. Big Wharf Rat fan. Not so big a Sing Me Back Home fan. I may have to "fix" that little "problem".

• bob t

If you don't have the bonus disc from Road Trips and you have Sirius it is on Row Jimmy..... 46 minute Dark Star soon to be on if you have never heard it!!! Bob t

• KeithFan2112

Glad to hear you're digging Dark Star from DaP 3. I also just recently step this one up from mediocre to excellent in my head. Back on the 4th of July weekend I was playing that game with my family and buddies wear I guess the concert that the song on Sirius Radio is from. It may be some other music Source like Pandora I don't know I don't use that stuff. But this Darkstar came on and I was blown away by it and couldn't figure out what it was, other than two isolated 2 perhaps the 1972 2nd half. Keith piano gave that away. But then I heard sitting on top of the world come on and I knew for sure that point that I had forgotten about the 1971 brief era with Keith. So once again I blew everybody away with my magical Grateful Dead powers.

Of course I like to of course I like to put part 1 and part 2 right next to each other and crossfade them. You can't even tell there used to be something in between them. End up with a nice 17 minute Dark Star. And the vocals sound so good on this one, specially part 2 if I recall accurately.

• JeffSmith

Thanks for the magic you worked on the Dave's 32 cover art (http://i.imgur.com/3jnNFms.jpg)! Hope maybe you'll share more with us in the future. Bravissimo on you brother!

• Douglas Otto
    Default Avatar

Called yesterday to see where my Dave's 32 is since I haven't gotten a shipping email. I was told "that it might be shipped in the next two weeks!" Let's say I was the nicest and they skipped me from doing their post call survey. Im a subscriber for many years and my buddy who buys them as they go on sale gets his way before I do. Something isn't right on their end! I will just dig out my Charlie Miller soundboard and enjoy the DEAD!

• carlo13

Check out 'Almost grown' by Chuck berry on you tube. Can't find a way to put link up.

• stoltzfus

I finally "got" the Dark Star from 10/21/71

Wow.......

• stoltzfus

Truly lolling

• JimInMD

Wade - Not to worry, I ran your new and improved DaP 32 CD cover art through the Dave's Picks BeardBeGone App (R) TM. It uses the Dave's Picks logo to cover up skeletal facial hair and other unwanted anomolies.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185387926@N02/shares/y3418U

Tragedy narrowly averted.

• Thats_Otis

Hot damn! Now that is some serious music!

Disc 3, worth the price of admission, just as many before have said. Spending the evening grading papers (quarter 1 grades are due tomorrow... ugh.) Oh well, time to listen to this monster again!

Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html