• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

This ole dinosaur finally got set up for streaming at work. Finally be able to check out a bunch of shows I was at but never heard, as well as other goodies like 2/15/73 that I’m listening to now! Boo-yah!

• Sixtus_

Oroborous...I use 'deadhead archives' but I've also seen a version of 'Relisten' as well (which I use via Sonos at home). Both are equally good and mirror the archive.

Sixtus

• Oroborous

Trying to get my iPad to stream uninterrupted etc.
    What’s the best app for archive .org?

• Deadheadbrewer

Rhino should hire you.

Slow Dog, I would SWEAR I JUST heard the announcement about forbidden smoking in the past week, which means that that comment is likely to be on DaP 16, the 1970 Road Trips bonus disc, 6/24/73, or possibly 10/17/83.

Try this on for size, THEN try convincing yourself that the GD didn't rock after 1978! :)
    https://archive.org/details/gd1983-10-17.mtx.seamons.fix2.92424.sbeok.f…

• Slow Dog Noodle

Upon further reflection i'll question my own response. Last night as i was walking the dog listening to 7-9-89 I had an epiphany. Or perhaps it was the cabbage I had for lunch. At any rate, the bobbyism in question arose to the top of my mind. Was it 11-17-72? Or was is the Palace Theater, 9-24-72? Maybe it was neither. By the cosmos, it surely couldn't have been both. I thought about how i try to remember stuff like that so I'd be able to identify a show just by hearing some banter or a particular song order or part of a jam. Then my dog looked up at me like I was some particular brand of idiot and we walked on.

• copperdomebodhi

Here's my stab at cleaning up the artwork:

http://i.imgur.com/3jnNFms.jpg

• KeithFan2112

That's the funny thing. I did look at the picture to determine it was the Wolf. Upon reading your post and taking a second look a moment ago, it's clear that a bong hit can turn an alligator into a wolf. But I prefer to believe the world's just a magical place and it changed overnight.

Jim, that' funny about Albatross. They once had a 1972 Dark Star on the tapers section. Possibly July 18th. So in an attempt to see if my recording was better, I ended up playing them both at the same time like you did with Albatross. Just a very small delay, miliseconds, but the effect was great, just like you described.

I really love this release so far. You guys are even getting me into the fast TLEOs. First version I heard was from New Year's Eve at the Cow Palace 1976. Of the slow versions post-hiatus, I think this has some extra Jerry Groove to it, possibly because it's a multi-track; I feel like I can hear every string of the chords he plays. But yeah this fast version is growing on me.

I'm off of work today. I have a couple of things I need to get done but I have time in the morning here to listen to this beauty on headphones. Audio is very impressive. I do have some features on my playback app as I've mentioned that enhance the stereo separation oh, so I guess I'm cheating a little bit but, no more than some of the effect that is applied during production. So I'm just producing. But you need to have a good source there's nothing you can do to improve the sound, so I am really happy with this one (and I was one of the tough to please fellas with the Pacific Northwest 1973 shows, mostly shows 2 & 3.

I'm to LLR. There's Keith. If anything is going to turn me on to this song, it's going to be a little pee-anner touch from The Great One. How's that for a hype sticker on Daves picks 32: "So good you'll enjoy Looks Like Rain" No pelting me with rotten tomatoes you LLR lovers.

• stoltzfus

remember...behind the veneer...this ultimately is a business.

A beyond description business, but a business nonetheless.

• Sixtus_

Thanks guys for the positive vibes.
    Indeed, I blame Newman <shakes fist in the air while muttering the name>...
    Solid Seinfeld reference and everyone's (least) favorite Postman.

On the brighter side, it does appear someone besides a Monkey has come across my DaP 32:

November 5, 2019, 12:40 pm
    Forwarded
    WALTHAM, MA
    Your item was forwarded to a different address at 12:40 pm on November 5, 2019 in WALTHAM, MA. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect.

Today just might be my lucky day. It sounds like Disc 3 is a face melter to be sure.

- Sixtus (the full clan would indeedee be Sixti)

• daverock

Great clip of Jerry and Bob being interviewed, followed by Deep Ellum Blues and Monkey and the Engineer. I always assumed they'd stopped tripping by 1982...going off this film it looks like at least one of them hadn't.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html