• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Charlie3

That is a great song Keithfan2112, it just has that nice mellow flow to it. Some of the stuff on Peter Green's In the Skies has a similar vibe, some cool hypnotic grooves for lack of a better description. The tune Slabo Day along with the title track consistently hit the spot for me, but I dig the whole album.

• dreading

I never saw a show there but I always thought it was the coolest name for a venue. Was it really that bad inside? Looks really cool from the outside.

I love this pick thanks Dave!

I don't think I've been this excited about a new Dead release since the 73-74 box set. I guess I'm a 70s Dead guy. What I can't figure out is how Dave keeps missing Bird Song shows from 1973. They played it enough times. I know he likes it because almost every 1972 show from the 2nd half has it.

I think people who how should I say this. Gave constructive criticism about the sound quality of the 1973 shows from the Pacific Northwest box set are not going to have any issues with this.

For my taste I like the jams to go on for as long as possible and as weird as possible. I think they used to get into the feedback noisy stuff just so they could ease you out of it with something mellow, which makes the mellow parts even better. Like giving you a pill and saying here this will make you feel better. That'll keep you going through the show come on it's time to go! Two thumbs up for Jam / Dark Star

• KeithFan2112

Glad to hear you're enjoying DaP 12. I did not get to listen to it earlier when I posted, as I thought I was going to. I had to wait until now on my drive home put it on. So when I read you talkin about it being a real barn burner, I really got psyched up for it. I'm about finished the first set now, minus Sunrise and Roses (just because I feel like rocking). I feel like the Memorex dude getting his hair blown back in the chair, except I'm not the Memorex dude, I'm the 30 days of dead skeleton dude. Strong stuff.

Re: Peter Green discussion- I never really knew about Peter Green until about a year ago when I was reading a George Harrison interview that was ages old of course, where he said they were going for the Albatross feel when they did Here Comes the Sun King from Abbey Road. I'd have to say there is not a better 2 minutes of Beatles music as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of equal to Beatles music, but I just really love that cool guitar strumming during Sun King.

If you've never heard Albatros, somebody on YouTube looped it together for an hour continuous:

https://youtu.be/UkHgUc6bOgU

• Vguy72

....definitely the lowest # I've received yet. Will report back later on thoughts.

• jrf68@hotmail.com

...and discs 2 and 3 will not play a note.
    "Cannot Be Read" is all I'm getting.
    Bummer. I don't want the hassle, but looks like I got it.
    Oh well, here we go again.
    Disc 1 sounds good, so there's that.

• nitecat

Future Games is a pretty cool song, too. Peter Green's original Black Magic Women is cool, too.

• Charlie3

Nitecat, Then Play On is a great album, some might say essential. I picked up the release with several bonus tracks (Oh Well Pt 1, Oh Well Pt 2, The Green Manalishi (with the Two Prong Crown), and World in harmony). Some really gorgeous stuff on that album. And the song Hypnotized from Mystery to Me is an all time favorite of mine, so smooth, such a cool sound. Ever check out Peter Green's album In The Skies? That is another cool album, really hits the spot sometimes.

• nitecat

Actually, Danny Kirwin and Bob Welch were great guitarists in the early Mac sound, and wrote pretty good songs.

• nitecat

This is an excellent release, as one poster said, the sound is pristine. The third disc is incredible, great jamming.
    I note this is not a betty board, mostly recorded by Rex. To my ears the drums are a little too loud in the mix, causing me to turn the volume down a little. The vocals are a little too loud also. When they are not singing, I can turn up the instruments and enjoy them at a reasonable level.
    Still, I am a happy deadhead.
    Someone on this board mentioned a while ago the book Deadology. I picked it up and have been reading it. The author writes about 33 essential dates of Grateful Dead history, going into each date's highlights over the band's 30-year history. I think the book will be a grate reference for other great shows to listen to.
    Besides the Dead, I've been listening to Fleetwood Mac (pre-Buckingham/Nicks):
    Then Play On (1969)
    Kiln House (1970)
    Future Games (1971)
    Bare Trees (1972)
    Penguin (1973)
    Mystery to Me (1973)
    Heroes Are Hard to Find (1974)
    The Mac struggled during this time, frequently losing and replacing guitarists, but they made good music and Christine McVie is a constant plus from 1970 on.

• Gr8fulTed

Dave's #32 appeared today and WOW. Great recording by Rex and Kidd. Diggin' the up tempo TLEO

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html