• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Have to think Dave will go back to the early 1970s for #34. 70 or 71. I also think this year we will see something from early April of 78. Maybe one of the Fox Theater shows.
    Of course, Dave likes to mix it up from time to time, so maybe we all be surprised.
    I think there are something like 5000 copies of the RFK box left. Great stuff, can't believe they have that many left.

• SPACEBROTHER

Today I finally ripped Dave's Picks 32, Ready Or Not and downloaded all of the 30 Days mp3s. Kind of like binge watching a TV series.

The days listening started with the 12/2/73 portion of Dick's Picks volume 14 ( highly recommended if you don't have it), pretty much while downloading and ripping. Now I'm up to Corinna from R.O.N. and it's an interesting compilation. Liberty is decent. Eternity is kind of an averaging version. Vince sounds pretty good on it. Jerry is decent enough, but there are definitely better versions. Lazy River Road is solid. For the first time I thought Samba In The Rain grooved, until they lost it in the jam. Jerry was all over the map on that one. Too bad, as it could have been a pretty good song after a little more time on the road. So Many Roads is pretty good, mainly the ending crescendo. Acceptable, but better versions are out there (I see the version from Copps Coliseum 92 made it into 30 Days and I was there. Could make a nice companion the the first night that was released in Boxilla). I attended the 92 Deer Creek run so saw Way To Go Home in person. Not much to say about this song. It's decent, but not much room for growth or development. Corinna has a nice jam that gets cut (bummer). Had a nice recording of the 93 Spectrum show with Easy Answers for years and I think that full show would make a splendid release. Tubular Bells Space and Dark Star. Actually that 92 Deer Creek show would be nice as a release. Days Between just came on as I'm typing. Wasn't this December 94 run when they started using teleprompters? Ornette Coleman play at one of these as well?

Needless to say....if only Jerry could have reigned in his health issues.... ;(

Next on queue....Dave's Picks 32. Sure, I'll listen to another 73 show today...why not?

2020 subscription is in. Dekalb 77 next up, then ???

Quick edit - The Days Between is nice, but they cut the big jam at the end like they did with Corinna.

• deadmike

But if everyone else is doing exactly the same, I guess I'm waiting in vain ...

Ah well, hope to get Dave's Picks Volume 32 before the end of the year ... :-)

Micke Östlund,
    Växjö, Sweden

• carlo13

I guess they are putting Int. Orders on hold for awhile until they catch up on American orders.

• JimInMD

Beats me, doesn't appear to be an FM Broadcast night.. They tried pretty hard not to be political.. Bobby is a bit of a sports nut, perhaps he was referring to the Iron Bowl the night before, Alabama 35, Auburn 0? Google wasn't much help so not sure, interesting though.

He did something similar on 10/28/85, "I wonder how many of you were watching TV last night" as they started into Kansas City. The night before (10/27) the Kansas City Royals won game 7 of the World Series hence the debut of Kansas City the next night (one of two times played live).

A Weir'd one.

• bob t
    "How many of you were listening to the radio last night"

Bob Weir before the start of Set II opening Wharf Rat!! I wish i knew what he was referring to..... Starting with set I Cold Rain and Snow which is so appropriate for our weather in New England, yesterday and today!!!! Boston Music Hall 12/2/73.... Be safe driving today.. bob t

• stoltzfus

I am cataloging my collection

into 78 now

anyway...I finally feel like I have "enough"

Except for Dave's
    and whatever box sets intrigue me enough

• stoltzfus

Hopefully

• JimInMD

Good idea, great little movie.

...and, we need a new release. When do they usually announce the second Dave's Picks of the year? Right around Christmas.. right?

• Angry Jack Straw

Make sure to watch the Last Waltz.

Big time stuff.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html