• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • stoltzfus

When i saw Oilers, AJS, my mind went to Houston Oilers, not Edmonton.

• Angry Jack Straw

Agreed. As many others have recently stated and I have posted before, number five sits atop the mountain. Not even close.

Effortless magic that smokes right from the start.

So the Sabres suck again. Their return to former glory lasted less than a month. I guess my lone sleeper team is the Oilers.

• daverock

I saw some terrible things when I was a drugs worker. I was once called out to visit someone who had been injecting curry powder. When I got there, it was too late...he was already in a korma.

• Charlie3

I purchased the items from amazon with amazon as the seller, not a 3d party seller. They are upfront about it, but it is easy to miss and requires a couple steps to get the information.

If you look at the product description at the top of the page next to the product picture for those items, e.g. Kings Mouth, there is a small line that states "Note: this product is manufactured on demand when sold by amazon.com. [Learn more]" When you click the "Learn more" link it opens a small window you get the information that it will be manufactured on demand using CD-R. The information indicates that amazon has a license to sell the product this way, that all original packaging materials will be printed and provided by amazon, and asserts that the discs are just like what you are used to and the source files the same as for regular CDs of the release. The note only shows up when the item is sold by amazon, and only for some items, in my case, the Sturgill Simpson Sound and Fury and the Flaming Lips Kings Mouth releases. The Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin Live at Red Rocks Release also has the manufactured on demand note when sold by amazon (when I look at this moment, the listing is for sale by a 3d party seller and the note does not appear, but earlier today when amazon was the seller the note was there - I'm sure it will appear again when amazon is the seller again). On the order details for these items it lists the seller as Amazon Digital Services, Inc., whereas the other CDs I have purchased from amazon indicate the seller as Amazon.com Services, Inc. There were also some threads on Steve Hoffman with references to this issue going back a few years.

• JimInMD

I tried to look into this and was unsuccessful. What I saw advertised was the original CD, I did not see copy's or CDRs, or anything similar in the descriptions.

I don't think this is legit. Just to confirm, was this from Amazon or was it from a secondary seller or whatever the correct word is for this at Amazon?

To Carlo's point, this doesn't seem legal unless they have licensing and pay royalties (which is doubtful).

I bet you could send it back at no cost and get a refund.

• carlo13

They get away with a lot of iffy stuff like the CD-R shit. Its Not right
    And maybe not legal.

• stoltzfus

Slewfoot 6 27 69

• stoltzfus

i really truly wish i had more time to listen

• stoltzfus

pause

• Charlie3

Funny, I busted out Pretzel Logic this evening, went back and forth between that, Katy Lied and Royal Scam. Good stuff.

Off topic, I made a discovery today that I found a bit annoying. I discovered that amazon is selling some new releases as CD-R versions manufactured (burned) by amazon and with all regular packaging included in a standard jewel case, from the same audio source as the real CDs according to amazon. Something about this just bothers me and I wondered if anyone on here has run into this, was aware of this, or can explain if I am just being unreasonable to expect that if I purchase a new release I will get a real CD, not a burned copy on CD-R. I suspect that the CD-R is ultimately an inferior product which may not last as long as a regular CD pressed in the regular manufacturing process despite amazon's assurance that it is an equivalent item, but perhaps someone here will reassure me that I'm wrong. Curious what any of the folks on these threads think about this issue, whether it would bother anyone else or if I am just uptight. The CDs that I ended up getting this way are Sound and Fury by Sturgill Simpson and the Kings Mouth by Flaming Lips. Noticed this when I saw a note on the Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin: Live at Red Rocks product page indicating that it would be manufactured on demand when sold by amazon and then discovered that meant it would be a CD-R version, then looked to see if it applied to anything else that I purchased from them recently.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by samspade

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
pm me if interested

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html