• 7,961 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

you know they are now ... "knee deep in the hoopla"

• icecrmcnkd

Do you have a pick for us today?

Scientific discovery?
    Must be referring to Plangent Process.

• mcqsquiz

Pick of the Day, with Discussion" is a dynamic feature designed to engage users with daily selections of intriguing topics, articles, or news stories. Each pick is carefully curated to spark interest and stimulate thoughtful conversation among readers. The accompanying discussion section encourages users to share their insights, opinions, and questions, fostering a vibrant community of learners and thinkers. Whether it's a groundbreaking scientific discovery, a thought-provoking editorial, or a captivating historical event, "Pick of the Day, with Discussion" offers a platform for meaningful dialogue and intellectual exploration, making it a must-visit destination for curious minds.

• JimInMD

I have to agree with the Cone Kid on this one. The PNW box sounds amazing in comparison. It sounds amazing period. The China>Rider from Vancouver '74, for example, is amazing and the recordings do it justice.

They must be reading these threads on SiriusXM. Last night on my way home they played the DS>MLB>Morning Dew from that show, probably around 8ish PM EST. I have noticed them mirroring our discussions with playlists a day or two later several times in recent weeks.

Of course it could be coincidence but that's not as fun to discuss.

Still that performance is spectacular. And it's not just plangent processing, I believe Jeffrey Norman has gotten better at his job even with shows pulled from cassette masters.

• icecrmcnkd

Started 10-19-73 in the car today, after finishing 6-22-73.
    A sonic downgrade for sure compared to PNW Box.

• proudfoot

6 28 88 on archive

Splendid stuff

• Obeah

Jim I was wondering how that wasp's nest expedition turned out! We used to get them all the time on our back porch. I became expert at spotting them when they were small - softball-sized - and taking them out without using chemicals.

Speaking of (Scarlet->)Fire in 1980, the rendition on Dave's Vol 8 never gets old to these ears.

• JimInMD

The Dreaded Double Post.

For what it's worth, I listened to a 1980 Fire on the Mountain just before I took out the wasps nest in attic. All is good, not a single sting.

Speaking of Fire on the Mountain, Mount Edgecumbe in Southern Alaska (near Skagway) has been dormant for 800 years but looks like it's becoming active.

• JimInMD

Thanks DVikes, sorry for the rain, we are in a bit of a drought here, go figure.

I had to do a double take while listening to I Know You Rider from that show. Jerry and Bobby switched verses. Glad they went back to the previous arrangement the next night, but a cool novelty version.

• DeadVikes

Jim, circling back on this show. Listened to the second set. Decent recording. Tempe AZ!

Love the China Riders, Lost Sailor Saint from this time period.

Might have to find another 80 show for today.....

Hope you all have a great weekend. We are still getting pounded with way too much rain here in MN.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Not sure if there is a better year, so many great shows and yes, sound quality on releases have varied over the years. Would be interesting to hear 10/19 with Plagent.
I think the HCS Box sounds better than the PNW box.

Which reminds me, I should listen the Des Moines show tomorrow.

Would love to send some rain your way Jim. We have had more rain here in the last three months than we had in the previous three years.

July should bring us the 2024 Box reveal and for sure Dave's Picks #51. What will it be?

85, 77 and 69? 91?

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I happened upon a thingie on your toob

GD
England 1970
The Lost Film

Very worth checking out

user picture

Member for

13 years

In reply to by proudfoot

I saw that video hanging around there.. like an hour and a half. I've been crazy busy doing useless crap for other people lately.. so I only got about a third of the way through it last night. It must have been uploaded recently.

Needing a pick me up, how about 5/7/89, something someone we all know and love mentioned on the Dave's 50 thread. I don't think I have listened to it.

Sorry about your rain DVikes. If you pee in the river I live on it would probably double the flow. (not that I am recommending peeing in rivers, power to the fishies)

If they made 10/19/73 sound better, I'd buy two just to thank them for their trouble.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Gotta revisit 10/19/73

Like Alpine 89, I have never fully understood what is so aMAzing about it.

A road trip with 10/19/73 should do the trick....

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

There's a lot of subtlety to it

And some unsubtle things, too :)))

For whatever reason, I really enjoyed it yesterday.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Fallout from the Phil Zone

Listen to it sometime this month

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Infrared Roses

Listening to that again for the first time in a while

Just finishing up the Des Moines show from the HCS. I love this box!

Jim, I will get 5/7/89 rolling this afternoon. I believe this was a Rex benefit show.

Hope you all can enjoy some good Dead music this week.