• 7,962 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    Second set public service announcement from Bobby....

...."If its any comfort to anyone, on this date in 1890 in Cairo Illinois, it rained fish."
    https://www.loc.gov/everyday-mysteries/item/can-it-rain-frogs-fish-and-…
    Lolololol.
    For the record, the fact that there is a second set Cumberland with bombs never swayed my opinion of this show. 😜

• fourwindsblow

Music, holy crap, energy of a set 2 opener; TLEO, nice pace mellow and jammy; Esau, it's nice; Big RR and BIODTL fast songs didn't work here(maybe a Bird Song or Row J.); Tenn Jed back on track; Minglewood, smoking; China>Rider rockin' nice transition, wish I was a headlight...

Woman R, nice energy; Cumberland, foot stomping, Phil bombs; Playin, really nice jam; China Doll, beautiful; Jam Drums, Space really great; TOO, trembled and exploded; GDTRFB, OMSN, rockin'; CR&S the only time they encored with CR&S.

• Vguy72

....to end the first. Storm clouds were rolling in and rumor has it, this show had one of the longest set breaks of all time. Waiting for the weather. Pics show that they didn't have a covering over the stage, just the rigging (see my avatar). The China Rider segue is bopping!! Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

• Vguy72

....actually does sound better boros. Thanks!✌
    https://archive.org/details/gd1983-09-10.139379.mtx.seamons.ht112.flac16
    Opens with Music Never Stopped. Bobby botches half the lyrics, but, as usual, the boyz make up for it with a smoking end jam.
    TLEO follows. Jerry and Brent in SYNC!! Thats my wedding song btw. 20 years strong!
    I really, really dig these two shows.

• Oroborous

Stoked, unfortunately have to make a death run first; ACE for varnish, and PO. Don’t ya know almost finished with more book shelves for Lovey and I’m out of Varnish, Doooaahh! At least it’s pre-order curb side. PO I’m afraid I might have to go in and stand in line for a package (clothes for her, to go to a wedding, that we already dropped non refundable mucho dineros, that were probably not going to be able to attend).....
    But I’ll be firing that up this afternoon once I have the goods....going to try the Siemens matrix. Never been as enamored with SB recordings as most. I feel there is nothing like a good matrix, more natural sounding....

• Vguy72

....this one sounds good.
    edited, because the Seamons matrix sounds better.

• fourwindsblow
    February 22 to 24, 1968 at King's Beach Bowl, Lake Tahoe

If I told you all that went down it would burn off both of your ears.

Viola Lee Blues 19:15 pure bliss
    Hurts Me Too 4:13
    Dark Star 6:49 nice transition>
    China Cat Sunflower 4:38 best ever?
    The Eleven 10:33 fantastic
    Turn On Your Lovelight 12:40 nice little boogie
    Born Cross-Eyed 2:32 yes
    Spanish Jam 7:23 wow
    Morning Dew 8:10 nice
    Good Morning Little Schoolgirl 14:39 sweet blues jam
    That's It For The Other One 8:13 okay
    New Potato Caboose 9:08 Heavenly
    Alligator 3:45 okay
    China Cat Sunflower 4:14
    The Eleven 7:17
    Alligator 6:39 oh yeah, an 11 jam
    Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) 11:49 see that train a comin', wow excellent!!
    Feedback 4:55

Feb 1968 Jerry played a - Gold-top Les Paul with P-90 single coil p/u's. 3 Twin Reverbs, 2 Fender 4x12 cabinets, JBL D120 speakers

• bluecrow

RT 3.1. Fun to revisit this one - been a long long time. Totally forgot that it had that awesome Terrapin > Playing. BITD I had a cassette from a friend who labeled it "Terrapin > Playing > Jam > Yikes!!" At one point it seems like Brent was channeling his inner Ned Lagin (fully approve!)

Looking forward to visiting Santa Fe later today. Never given that legendary show a deep listen. Anybody got rec as to what source? Notice that there's an Usborne matrix.

Pick of the day reminds me of a college literature class - 4 days in and it feels like already a week behind. Tahoe is gonna have to wait.

Wichita - real bounce in their step whole show. I think '72 is my favorite "era" for Other One. Some really great Keith piano in there. Always sweet when they drop from one of these into some slow heartfelt beauty like Brokedown. When are we gonna get 9-28-72?

• Vguy72

....got the Galaxy S20+ at the beginning of March. My old phone was circa 2014. Was time for an upgrade. Came with an early order credit of $150. Used that towards Buds+'s. Testing them now during 2.23/24.68 Tahoe. Not bad.
    Then I heard about all the 5G shit. Can't win for losing i guess.

• wilfredtjones

Snowed here in WI, too. Yet, I finished the lawn raking. Go figure. Are you sure it wasn't Graupel (snow pellets)?

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Not sure if there is a better year, so many great shows and yes, sound quality on releases have varied over the years. Would be interesting to hear 10/19 with Plagent.
I think the HCS Box sounds better than the PNW box.

Which reminds me, I should listen the Des Moines show tomorrow.

Would love to send some rain your way Jim. We have had more rain here in the last three months than we had in the previous three years.

July should bring us the 2024 Box reveal and for sure Dave's Picks #51. What will it be?

85, 77 and 69? 91?

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I happened upon a thingie on your toob

GD
England 1970
The Lost Film

Very worth checking out

user picture

Member for

13 years

In reply to by proudfoot

I saw that video hanging around there.. like an hour and a half. I've been crazy busy doing useless crap for other people lately.. so I only got about a third of the way through it last night. It must have been uploaded recently.

Needing a pick me up, how about 5/7/89, something someone we all know and love mentioned on the Dave's 50 thread. I don't think I have listened to it.

Sorry about your rain DVikes. If you pee in the river I live on it would probably double the flow. (not that I am recommending peeing in rivers, power to the fishies)

If they made 10/19/73 sound better, I'd buy two just to thank them for their trouble.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Gotta revisit 10/19/73

Like Alpine 89, I have never fully understood what is so aMAzing about it.

A road trip with 10/19/73 should do the trick....

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

There's a lot of subtlety to it

And some unsubtle things, too :)))

For whatever reason, I really enjoyed it yesterday.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Fallout from the Phil Zone

Listen to it sometime this month

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Infrared Roses

Listening to that again for the first time in a while

Just finishing up the Des Moines show from the HCS. I love this box!

Jim, I will get 5/7/89 rolling this afternoon. I believe this was a Rex benefit show.

Hope you all can enjoy some good Dead music this week.

Happy Fourth of July weekend out there. Hope you all had a good day and enjoy the weekend. July is my favorite month of the year and the Dead played some great shows in July.