• 7,962 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mhammond12

You're a harsh taskmaster! Listening to Grateful Dead concerts will continue until morale improves.

• bolo24

Recommend multi-tasking and do both!

• bolo24

After listening to almost 4 hours of insanely wonderful music, the overriding conclusion is that, in my opinion, NO ONE can play guitar like Garcia did. At times subtle and nuanced, at other times raging, but always just exactly perfect within the context of the song they were playing. Remarkable, really. Feeling blessed to have experienced GD/JGB live so many times.

Garcia may not be the "best" guitarist (highly subjective, as most of those inane "best of" polls demonstrate), but he is the only guitarist I can listen to every day. That includes Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Gilmore and whoever else you want to throw in there.

It's grate to be a Deadhead!!

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3p838b

• bluecrow

funny how they didn't list out what shows the songs are from. even funnier, the songs in Disc 1 are actually from 3 shows - Its All Over Now and Duprees are from 2/4/78 Milwaukee! The Wikipedia entry for DP 18 lays it out if you're interested. Deadbase IX also lists a soundcheck of Ripple x3 in Milwaukee - what the heck is that??!!

As others have noted, among many highlights a great Music Never Stopped and Eyes of the World from 2/3 - love the super long intro to Eyes, it reminds me of a post-hiatus favorite, 6/8/77. They Love Each Other is fantastic. The 2nd set from 2/5 is just wild. Such a raw sound to the Wolf! Would love to see released the Uptown shows that immediately proceed this. Worth noting how rare The Wheel was at this time - 2/3 was first time played since mid fall '77, another year until played again on 2/17/79 (Keith & Donna's last show), and then another year and a half before it finally re-entered regular rotation.

A couple technical notes - based on Dick's Caveat Emptor, 2/3 appears to have been recorded at a slower tape speed (7.5 ips vs. 15), and so the sound quality is a bit rougher. Also, IIRC, there is an unpatched gap (sad face) in the jam between verses 2 and 3 in Eyes of the World. There's a very nice audience of 2/3 on the Archive if anyone wants to hear that.

Now on to Wichita!!

• mhammond12

It seems like trying Europe 72 date by date has the momentum.

• bob t
    I forgot there is a good hour of OK City 11/15/72

On the Wichita show.......

• bob t

Love the Dodge Ball reference!!

• Vguy72

....has metal influences. Garcia tapping into his inner Iommi. My ear told me so.
    Wichita this soon into the game? Bold move Cotton. Let's see how it pans out.

• bolo24

Nice! I'm overdue for a listen.

RE: DP18, agree with Jim - Brown-Eyed Women is PERFECT! For that matter, so is TMNS - powerful! And then there's disc 3. If I had to rescue only one single disc from my burning house, this one would be in the running. That Scarlet/Fire is a half-hour blissfest, Truckin' is solid, TOO is insanely good. Masterful music!

On to Wichita!

• DeadVikes

In on that one Bob T. What a show.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Not sure if there is a better year, so many great shows and yes, sound quality on releases have varied over the years. Would be interesting to hear 10/19 with Plagent.
I think the HCS Box sounds better than the PNW box.

Which reminds me, I should listen the Des Moines show tomorrow.

Would love to send some rain your way Jim. We have had more rain here in the last three months than we had in the previous three years.

July should bring us the 2024 Box reveal and for sure Dave's Picks #51. What will it be?

85, 77 and 69? 91?

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I happened upon a thingie on your toob

GD
England 1970
The Lost Film

Very worth checking out

user picture

Member for

13 years

In reply to by proudfoot

I saw that video hanging around there.. like an hour and a half. I've been crazy busy doing useless crap for other people lately.. so I only got about a third of the way through it last night. It must have been uploaded recently.

Needing a pick me up, how about 5/7/89, something someone we all know and love mentioned on the Dave's 50 thread. I don't think I have listened to it.

Sorry about your rain DVikes. If you pee in the river I live on it would probably double the flow. (not that I am recommending peeing in rivers, power to the fishies)

If they made 10/19/73 sound better, I'd buy two just to thank them for their trouble.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Gotta revisit 10/19/73

Like Alpine 89, I have never fully understood what is so aMAzing about it.

A road trip with 10/19/73 should do the trick....

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

There's a lot of subtlety to it

And some unsubtle things, too :)))

For whatever reason, I really enjoyed it yesterday.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Fallout from the Phil Zone

Listen to it sometime this month

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Infrared Roses

Listening to that again for the first time in a while

Just finishing up the Des Moines show from the HCS. I love this box!

Jim, I will get 5/7/89 rolling this afternoon. I believe this was a Rex benefit show.

Hope you all can enjoy some good Dead music this week.

Happy Fourth of July weekend out there. Hope you all had a good day and enjoy the weekend. July is my favorite month of the year and the Dead played some great shows in July.