• 8,057 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • bluecrow

I'm in - hopefully sometime this weekend I can transport my mind and spirit into late summer beautiful day/evening Maine. Sounds like a dream show and setting. Very cool that a couple of you guys got to be there. Didn't realize this was the last show before the Warfield run. Long and heartfelt write up on grateful seconds (he was there). Comment at the end from a guy who was 8 at the time and lived a "bike trail" away from the fairgrounds. Listened to part of the show from his clubhouse. Rode his bike over and snuck in. Totally dug the Drums. Made major bank (for a kid) collecting cans and bottles for deposit afterwards (which is exactly what 8 yr old me would have done.) Think I might travel John Deere with the Jim Wise FOB.

• DeadVikes

Hey DMCVT,

Love this show and will get it going again this weekend.

And yes, it would make a great releasen.

Pretty sweet you and Doc were there.

• Forensicdoceleven
    All is worthwhile if the soul is not small.....

Hey rockers!!

Yes, we were there and had a blast. Beautiful day and tremendous music. A very fine show by the Dead, one of my all-time favorite in-person Dead experiences.

Would make a solid official release. It is worthy......

Doc
    Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile, I caught hell for.....

• Forensicdoceleven
    All is worthwhile if the soul is not small.....

Hey rockers!!

Yes, we were there and had a blast. Beautiful day and tremendous music. A very fine show by the Dead, one of my all-timefavorite in-person Dead experiences.

Would make a solide offical release. It is worthy......

Doc
    Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile, I caught hell for.....

• dmcvt

44 years ago today, there when Roy Buchanan along with Levon and His All Stars opened for the Dead. My last in person show, on the bus since their first album, however things had changed so much.... Doc was there, a wild late summer scene, part of my farewell to Maine.

• DeadVikes

Hey Jim, I know you have had a lot on you plate this year. Thanks for checking this one out. Yes, the recording is decent, not great. Like a lot of 88 recordings out there. Still think they have some good ones in the Vault.

I liked the show, anytime I see a Hey Pocky Way, I am in. Nice Shakedown to open the second set. Love the triple Encore with China Rider OMSN.

It is good to get out of the comfort zone once in a while Doc.

Carousel Ballroom 68, okay Jim, Ok will have to que it up this morning.

Enjoy the weekend out there.

Edit. Oh and after the carousel ballroom I will be moving on the 12/9/79, Dave's Picks #47. Love this one and I need some 79. If I had the keys, I would be putting out a big 79 Box.

• JimInMD

I completely agree.

On occasion and if I'm not careful volume gets the best of me. One day I might live to regret this. Thankfully, that day was not today.

A new one for me. Some sound weirdness especially in and around banter, but what the hey.

I don't know what it is, but I have soft spot for The Eleven, Born Cross-Eyed and especially New Potatoe Caboose. Good show with some vintage grease to end the night with me feeling a little dirtier than I did when I woke up.

If there's no pick for tomorrow, I suggest the next in line. It's a partial, starts with a rare Clementine. 1/20/68 Euraka Municipal Auditorium. I think we should set up a go fund me to find all the missing reels, there's a couple missing from this show. It would be something for them to be found.

• proudfoot

Good health to all

• Forensicdoceleven
    The grass is always greener around the fire hydrant.....

Hey rockers!!!

1/17/68? Oh yeah!!!

Jim, if you turn up 1/17/68 loud enough, it'll cut the grass for ya!!!

Rock on,

Doc
    I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.....

• JimInMD

1/17/68 Carousel Ballroom?

The John Deere is broken down in the back yard, no choice but to go primal with the push mower.

Edit: They don't make em like they used to.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

You are correct sir! It is only money and it seems to fly out the door faster and faster as time goes by.
Good to hear you enjoyed TTB.
Yes and the new box for 2024, not sure anyone had this on their radar. I am excited, as this is a big box with 8 shows from a great time period. Plus they get the Plangent treatment.

Okay, since I still don't have my #51, how about 9/8/73 (Dave's #38).

10/17/72 by the way was great again. What a box!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I think you befriended an AI bot.

Mighty nice of you.

But, other than Bender, we probably don’t need any bots around here.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

>:(((

Dead is capitalized, derp

Best song? Best show, ya AI schmucklicker

Uh...if you are a real person iced then

Welcome

I just flashed on john belushi smashing that guitar...

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Shoot, I was burning this bot some CDs.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

You’ll be rewarded when the bots are our masters.

Obviously the bots can get around reCRAPTCHA, yet the humans have to keep taking the quiz.

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by DeadVikes

Better to mistake a robot for a person than a person for a robot.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

I'm not tech savvy. What does a bot get out of posting here unless we go to their website like a spammer is trying to get you to do? "I'm not a smart man but I know what love (of the Grateful Dead) is." Gump!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

This gem of a pick has been the soundtrack many a day on my walk the dogs/exercise routine. The mix on this is really raw and robust, in a good way!!

#38 is in my top 10 from Dave and Comapny, actually top 5!

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Hey Johnathan,

I agree, this is a great show and I haven't listened to it much. Didn't even remember that we get a double encore with Stella Blue and OMSN. Solid show. Need to hit the bonus disc on Monday.

I think I only had one double encore, in Alpine in 89. Oh yes, and it was spectacular!

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Morning rockers!!! Happy Sunday!!!

Triple encore: Toronto June 21 1984, New Orleans-Big Boss Man-Iko Iko. Hey now!!!!! Big fun.............

There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one's self......

Slightly big rainstorm heading my way................

Rock on,

Doc
There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain.......

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Terrapin>OMSN, Werewolves
Bet you can guess which show.
Just look at my name.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Just did 7-8-78 on tape (my earliest copy of the show from 1996 taken from an Italian boot CD on Red Robin label that cost my buddy $70! The sound is raw and unfiltered SBD and amazing) on July 16 to keep the cassette deck lubed, so I will defer to the 7-7-78 show from the box which has one of BC's favorite 1st sets. I heard some of the 7-7 show from the parking lot as I had to work and got there late with no ticket and no plan. Long story short I got chased out by security and ended being needed as a spare driver when my posse came out after the show. But I did have a ticket for the next night. Nothin' like jumpin' in with both feet!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

We made it to the show at The Armory in Minneapolis on Friday night. Big thanks to all for the nudge in the right direction.

Went on StubHub on Thursday night and bought two tickets on the floor in row 20 for $125 for the two of us. No brainer at that point.

What a venue, so much fun. We had a blast. Maybe 8,000 people. Sound was great. Huge bars surround the full length of the venue. Really cool, no waiting. Band was outstanding. So great to see a band live again. The anticipation, the living in the moment and being around all kinds of different people.
Teschedi and Trucks definitely know how to deliver live. Would love to see them again and can't wait to get back to the Armory.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Place looks cool DV. Bigger looking than you’d think?
From outside, reminds me of old Syracuse War Memorial Aud.
Glad you dug it! Sounds like first time back to live music? Nice!

Multiple/encores? Ok, I’ll play lol
4/12/83
6/21/84 (3)
6/24/84
6/27/85
7/1/85
6/28/86
6/29/86
6/22/87
6/25/88
4/3/89
7/17/89 DB says only 1?
6/6/92
7/1/92
7/9/95

Ahhh, Good ole summer tour!

Yes OB, the place is great and good size on the inside. First paid concert for me in a long time. Great to be back.

Nice list of multiple encores.
Deadbase is incorrect, 7/17/89 had a double encore, We bid you Goodnight and JBG. We were there.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Trying to compare the July 7th & 8th, 1978 shows is like trying to pick your favorite child (or grandchild for some of us). Both shows have that crazy energy and all out playing that often characterizes last shows of a tour. And that follow up Aug 30-31, 1978 (Hey Dave! Release the hounds!) was the just exactly perfect style having just come from the studio for Shakedown Street. Quite a different beast altogether but no less satisfying. Finishing up 7-7 this morning at Dead volume and loving it. That NFA with a Nobody's twist in the middle is the stuff!
Cheers

Hard to beat these shows, Firstshow.

Such an interesting little tour and then to end up at Red Rocks. What a box. Looking forward to more 78 in September!

The Dead always made it a priority to play in MN for most of the late 70s to 1989- Then never again. And not in my second home state WI.

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by DeadVikes

Purely by chance, I found myself listening to the Great American Music Hall show from 8/13/75 today- without realising it was it's anniversary. I'm not pulling your leg here. As everyone knows, it is a great and unique show. If I was compiling my best 10 or 15 shows, I would make room for this one. It's a level playing field of excellence from the opening HSF triumvirate through to U.S Blues.

I also love the closing "Blues For Allah" which is so off the wall it's in a category of it's own. Seems more weird in the way "What's Become Of The Baby" was than anything else in their repertoire. Shame they didn't do more with it in the later years. It would have been perfect for Egypt.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

If you don’t have it,
8-13-75 vinyl sounds pretty good and I don’t think it’s even 180 g.

Just occured to me that I have all 3 FTV’s on vinyl.
Nice!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

And the remastered version sounds spectacular as well.

I will have to get it going on Thursday.

Don't forget Milking the Turkey.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Yes, it was listening to 8/13/75 on vinyl yesterday - it does sound really good. I have Two From The Vaults on vinyl, but not Three - I've been on the verge of getting it for some time.

While we are on the subject, I wondered what the quality of the vinyl was like on your copy of Daves 2 ?On the first few sides, every now and again there is a loud crackle type noise on a song. It's over immediately, but then reappears a few songs later - and again disappears a soon as I've registered it. The last few sides are fine all the way through.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I don’t recall any issues with my DaP2 vinyl.
Do you have a gel stylus cleaner?
I got the Hudson Hi-Fi one and it seems to do a good job at removing dust and debris.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Cnkd - I'm not so sure about that...it's only that album that suffers in this way. Both the vinyl versions of 8/13/75 and 5/25/72, played this morning, are completely free of surface noise. Maybe I should get a better record cleaner.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

The beginning of the release of the vault tapes! Yes!

I beat the hell out of this release when I first got it in 91. And listening to the remastered version in 2024 still makes me smile. I can't get over how good the audio is on this release. From the iconic intro into Help Slip Franklins to the Blues for Allah finale. Love the Eyes into King Solomon's Marbles.

These are the kind of releases that keep me wanted more.

Also hit 6/14/76 from the Beacon, probably my favorite show from that Box.
Might have to hit the capitol theatre show from 6/19 today as well.

Be well out there.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

That was amazing when it came out on CD.
Of course, I couldn’t afford the CD (had to use my money on beer and cigarettes), so had to make a cassette copy of a friend’s CD.
Now I have the original CD, the remastered CD, and the vinyl.

user picture

Member for

10 years

The first time I heard it was when they broadcast an hour of it on the radio shortly after the date they played it. I recorded that on a cassette. I think it became the basis of quite a well known bootleg in England called "Make Believe Ballroom".
I didn't know about the remastered version that has been mentioned as having been released this year. I am very happy with the vinyl version...I'll give it some thought.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock, it was remastered in 2007 to HDCD specs and it is a huge upgrade. This was the same timeframe they discovered Three From the Vault was produced and ready for release in the 1990s but never released.

At the time in the 1990s they were trying to have multi track releases as a separate track from the two track Dick's releases.
Long live Don Pearson!

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Love TFTV. I am so happy they cleaned up and released most of that Capitol Theatre run.

I will gladly queue up that show tomorrow (today, oh the time). I have so much freaking yard work to do that will help pass the time and take me to another place altogether while the work does itself.

Thanks DVikes.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Is there anybody in there?

Just keeping the page active,
So nod if you can hear me.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Still alive Conekid.

Do you have a pick for us?

Finished Three from the Vault III over the weekend. Love that Smokestack and Easy Wind. Never understood why that wasn't played more live and zero times during Europe 72.

The Dead always kept you guessing and that was part of the fun.

Those Port Chester shows are special! Let's get the rest of them out.
I mean they don't compare to the Scranton show, do they?

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Watch this is you’ve never seen it.

youtu.be/JVoetvW7HuY

?si=bn

C0AfGEPktIeleX

You’ll have to piece it back together.

Appreciate it.

Yes, we need a pick of the day. Conekid, couldn't piece together your last one.

Maybe we need a Gene pick or a Vincent pick?

The new box hasn't sold out yet. With just 10,000 copies, I thought this would sell out in 30 days. I am looking forward to the end of September.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

The lynk was to Hard Working Americans 2016 at Lockin’.
Good stuff.
No pick for now, I’m going to bed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hey rockers!!

August 26, 1971, because why not? The bittersweet end of an era. Not the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning......

In this bright future you can't forget your past...........

Rock on,

Doc
When the past no longer illuminates the future, the spirit walks in darkness......

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

This one is for Doc. 4/30/88 from the Frost. Maybe we could get OB to check this one out?

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sorry for being the erratic participant. Lot's going on, the summer when I was never home, exception being today.

I did manage to get this one loaded just in time to do start what turned out to be a big yardwork day with perfect weather.

First Let the Good Times Roll. A great late-era collaboration, Jerry and Bob get extra points for effort > Feel Like a Stranger. A great song to hear when 'it's just starting to kick in.' Let it grow, strong effort. Second set, fun, a good balance of energy and relaxed vibe. Sound seems more dialed in. Jerry is outstanding in parts, at home with Tiger.

88 is one of those years. The Healy tapes vary a bit, probably the peak of the ultra-mix before the multi-tracks of 89 / 90 and Don Pearson's increasing influence thereafter. I'm not a huge fan of dan's experiments with audience mics, (sorry) but after the first song or two the audience portion seems to behave itself.

A good show for the era. I like the 88 Greeks too, sort of similar.

Thanks dvikes, a new one for me. A good Jerry centric show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Morning, rockers!!

Day off, tending to my wife after round one of new chemo, all I have to say is......

1988?????!!!!!!

1968? Sign me up! 1978? On rare special occasions. 1988? Sorry, way too far outta my comfort zone...........

However, if folks dig it, great!!! Whatever floats your boat, as long as it doesn't hurt too much, break too many local laws, or create extra work for your local medical examiner...............

Time for more coffee, and 8/29/69.................

Doc
In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.....

1/17/68 Carousel Ballroom?

The John Deere is broken down in the back yard, no choice but to go primal with the push mower.

Edit: They don't make em like they used to.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hey rockers!!!

1/17/68? Oh yeah!!!

Jim, if you turn up 1/17/68 loud enough, it'll cut the grass for ya!!!

Rock on,

Doc
I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.....