• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You’re a fucking genius!

• jameslily96
    Always Need To Consider Sound Quality And Product Quality

we need to focus on best sound quality whenever checking audio and sound related product online now a days

• KenRat
    Default Avatar

if someone could provide me with a copy on cd of this show from 30 trips around the sun I would be eternally grateful. a gorgeous show that you just have to listen to to know its one of the best ever. please let me know and I will provide my details.

• whatsappnumb
    Default Avatar
    Its good to see this post and I really appreciate the author for better informative articles like this and more in the future.http://whatsappnumb.com
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    great blogfriendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    really impressed with the post.friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Jee main 2018 cutoff
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Good to hear that it sounds damn goodRomantic Shayari Good Night Sms
  • amarsriv22
    Default Avatar
    Whatsapp is one of the most popular messaging app in the world but I have found its alternative which is whatsapp plus it is more advance than whatsappswhatsapp plus download
user picture

Member for

17 years 6 months

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

went over this thing with a fine tooth comb, can't find access to the book anywhere, I see the 45 in lid and I can see the scroll, but can't get to it, so far, what I can see, looks ok, now, how do I get this thing open
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Apropos of nothing to do with the decision on what to release and not release, which is not a preference decision but a quality and sales viability issue, Dave's comments would suggest he is a big fan of 1980 and the late 1980s, 87-89. He does not speak as glowingly about the mid-80s and the reasons are obvious and certainly not unique to him. On the 10/21/83 show, there is a matrix out there that is hands down better than the quality of what was released.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Mr. Jack Straw, you are right on! Unkle Sam, if you pull down on the name rims on the long sides of the bottom of the box, you'll find your hidden treasure; just watch the video above if my direction isn't clear. Enjoy!
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

guess I shouldn't have smoked before I opened the box. Could not see the video on other browser.
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

a few headscracthers in the box for me,, my reasoning is they had to pick something without stepping on any toes for future releases (1981 LOL !!!) And also remember the compilation looks like it has a nice flow due to some of the show selections (mere coincidence Shakedown is 1st track on one of the discs?) Could be why they went with 5.16.81 and this was the chance to release some flawed tapes that would have gotten a lot of bad reviews if it were an individual release, but buried in the box its really a mere footnote for most... For the big 30 trips box it seems they did reach a little for some years.. a few spot on picks include in Box on or would have made my top 3 1967 1969 1975 1979 1984 1987 1988 1989 1994 1995 but for 1981 are you saving the November and December shows for a box set ?? Great sounding tapes with very nice perfomances !! I would have went with Nov. or Dec. 1981 to include in big box. 1982 - without that Scarlet > Fire there is no way he would have selected it.. 8.10.82 is a better sounding tape and has a good amount of highlights, but nothing like the Scarlet > Fire
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Thanks for the comment. I am a little dense at times, what does that handle mean? Is it Gooey 213? I do appreciate the comment. My story telling still did not say exactly what I wanted (i.e. how the numbers really matched up). I really hesitated before I hit save. I got home last night wishing I had just deleted the post. I was concerned others would castigate me. Any way, been at the office for a while. Heading home to start the B/D celebration. The weather is awesome here today. Time to go start enjoying this beautiful green day and open this box. Hoping it is all there and in good shape...will be back in touch. Edit: Oh yeah, I have not watched the youtube video on the Jerry interview. It constantly pops up when I am watching Grateful Dead related videos there but just have not gotten around to watching it. I will definitely try to watch it in the next few days.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Thanks for the Dr. Rhino address. I'll send him an e-mail shortly.
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Still waiting here in Austria, mmmmhhhh , no further information tooWhat about you folks from Italy , Germany , Belgium , Netherlands, France, UK ? Last time i got my Spring TOO box 8 days after it was shipped but earlier another package took six weeks to make it over here....
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

and maybe Almanac announcement including DP2016 Edit - Neil Casal Fare Thee Well intermission music 2LP,, not sure if they will do a GD vinyl.. I am unclear if Neil Casal 2LP is under Rhino label. But its late in the game for RSD action,, this could be it
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Disc all ripped in. Need to edit them all and recheck labels. I use cd-ex for ripping and NONE of the disc were entered in, so I had to type all the info in. But now done.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

What a chore. Thankful had to do none of that here.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Good analysis. The only 2 questions in my mind are why no matrix mixes for 80's tapes and why 5/16/81. I guess I will have the latter question addressed once I get to listening to the recording. Who knows, I might be able to justify it in my mind as Dead.net apparently has.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Don't know whether all European sets have been shipped together, but DHL tracking now reports shipment has crossed the pond, cleared customs, and is now in the East Midlands ready for delivery!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

With the exception of '82, I thought they sounded acceptable ('85 has some hiccups), and the '84 show exceeded my expectations.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Box #1813 landed on my stoop yesterday/Monday and it was a Holiday/off work no less so I was able to wrap myself around this bad boy in a fairly significant way. No miracle, but love the scroll and the question is do I have a wall space available to frame and hang this sucker?? it's pretty neat. Book is also a nice touch with the leather cover and of course the secret stashes for each item are cool. My 1 1/2 year old thinks those compartments are the coolest... Ticket: Cal Expo, 5/27/93 Backstage Pass: Delta Center Salt Lake City, 2/19/95 No personal ties to either so if anyone is interested in a swap, PM me.... Started out listening to '67 in most of its entirety (outstanding), then proceeded to jump all over the place, revisiting some gems from back in my cassette days. But started with the '73, then jumped to '76, then I really wanted to hear the start of the second set in Cape Cod, so naturally the '79 got some airplay. I was at the '94 show in Boston so looking forward to getting into that one formally as well. Hours of listening in front of us All.... No overall issues with the box itself in terms of construction and shipment. Inside has red felt. Interesting that there seems to be a split between red vs. blue innards. Glad we're all starting to revel in the receipt; for those who still have the acquisition to look forward to - there is no disappointment here, enjoy the anticipation! Sixtus
user picture

Member for

9 years

. . . g1u2i3 doesn't stand for anything. Many years ago, I was trying to set up a new username with "guitar" in the name and kept getting it rejected over and over again. Finally, out of frustration, I just added numbers 1,2 and 3 in between the "gui" of guitar and voilà, it was accepted. Simple as that. Wish I had a more creative interpretation.
user picture

Member for

9 years

I missed out on the Europe '72 Trunk and all its goodies, but bought the music only version. For those who got the trunk, can you tell me if the Book included is worth seeking out to purchase? And now that you've had a chance to look at it, what would be the most you would pay for it? Thanks!
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

Did I somehow miss yet another conspiracy theory? Damn.. Well, now that the cats out of the bag, I KNEW IT!. Jerry is alive and well, living in a guarded complex in Fuji, snorkeling by day snoring by night. He lives comfortably with two roomies, Elvis and Roy Orbison. As many of you already know.. Elvis HATES 1980's GD.. he digs that '70's sound. So there you have it. I think that explains it, no loose ends. Back to the box. _________________________________ One Edit/Add: Unlike Elvis.. I do like 80's shows. They are playing Dicks Picks 13 on SiriusXM today, man.. that Let It Grow freakin' smokes. As for my box.. it arrived yesterday. I am so overwhelmed.. I really don't know where to start. I only streamed half a show (95 at that).. I guess I will start at '66 and remember to take baby steps. Holy mother of god.. this thing is massive in scope.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Boxilla left yesterday DHL downtown Harrisburg (Pennsylvania) to Cincinnati (Ohio). He left Cincinnati today. I am in France. DHL announces a delivery for me Thursday. I hope!
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Yes, I had a miracle yesterday but it had nothing to do with the scroll.After discovering my box had damage I was somewhat bummed. I decided not to focus on it and play some of the delicious music instead. Bam, the power goes out. I think, after all this waiting you've got to be kidding!! Must find batteries for boom box. No "c" batteries. I decide listing on computer speakers would be a buzz-kill. This quandry continues for an hour. My girlfriend says let's go for a ride so you can hear some JERRY. As soon as the sacred name is spoken the power comes on!!!! Thank You, JERRY
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

For me, the book included in Europe '72 is really worth. For three reasons, two very personal: - It is very well done, with lots of photos of musicians on stage; - David Lemieux has published the photo of the front of the theater of Olympia (in Paris) I sent him, and he used the articles of the French rock press of the time for the text of the book I also sent him; - And in the last page of the book, my name is mentioned among the people thanked. You understand that this book was for me a far greater value than market value. I do not sell it.
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

Alain and Tyson, both very cool stories, thanks for sharing.. I like the E-72 book also, and don't mind the trunk (although I am careful with it). Good coffee table book, but I bet most sit in the trunk and don't get out much.
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Doesn't surprise me that they don't sound that great. These are the only releases in the box from cassettes and there the only show's that didn't get a proper transfer. They all run slow and the pitch is off and the '82 show was recorded with Dolby B that was left off during transfer.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

My package just arrived in Brussels (Belgium)! Tomorrow in Paris? The next day at home?
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Is it illegal to post free downloads of officially released music online without permission? They're be allowed to do just that by the administrator with the 30 Trips box on that Facebook Fan page that is frequently mentioned here. If it is illegal, I would recommend the guy pull it down before he gets seriously fined and urge others not to post links to free downloads of music I had to pay $700 for. Not at all cool.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Everyone here knows how much you dislike that guy on the Grateful Dead Facebook fan page, Spacebrother, but trying to get him in trouble with Rhino or possibly the law is just low. The other guy doesn't bring it over here so keep it out of this forum. Thank you.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

Has anyone else that has ordered this box still not receive the box or some sort of shipping info? My order status still shows Backordered and no shipping email either.
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

..I don't do facebook, but if I did, I would friend you (if that's how it works). That cracked me up and is almost as funny as your holding out for Super High Def comment a few months back on the Spring TOO page. Thanks Dantian.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

A few years ago I bought an original unused ticket from my first show, Ventura County Fairgrounds 7/22/84. Wouldn't you know it, the ticket in my 30 Trips box set is from my last show, Oakland Coliseum 10/27/91. Better than a Miracle scroll!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

In perfect condition. The box truly is a masterpiece. Little details: hidden magnets to close the two bottom compartments. The quotes inside the 'doors'. The book is beautiful. I checked and it does have threads stitched through the binding, so hopefully it will not fall apart over time even if the glue fails. Ticket: October 30, 1991- Oakland Coliseum, Pass: August 22, 1993 Autzen Stadium, Eugene Oregon. I am very much looking forward to listening to these shows!
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

You've got my contact info. Why not use it and give me some sort of f'n update?Completely in the dark,not a fun way to fly....
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I had mention (and others also) about veneer peeling off, I had suggested wood glue. My veneers on the two hidden flaps had just a little. Like when they opened it to put books and scroll inside it peeled a tiny bit. I got some wood glue, applied with a toothpick and clamped with a paper clip. Worked great. Since I've ripped all my disc in, I threw the box on the shelf, what really struck me was why didn't they start with Jerry's name on the front panel, now I look at the box and it says "Pen Bill Phil Mickey",,, kinda odd where they started?!? Minor complaints I know, glad I got it. The very last disc wasn't recognized in my desktop computer, but worked just fine in my wife's laptop. I've had that with lots of other disc, will not rip on drive 1, but works in drive 2. I don't know why??? But no missing disc, no cracked disc. Can always have a bad rip, will never know until I listen to them all. That may take awhile, only so much listen time available. I guess everyone was right about it looking like a case of beer, my wife came home last night and it was on the counter, finally she said, oh that's the box you bought, I thought it was a case of beer. :-) I also chuckled to myself several times while reading Dave's comments on the inside cover of each disc. Did he go to the Trump school of marketing. His use of superlatives for everything made me laugh, I could only hear "the Donald". It was a tremendously monsterest Don't Ease Me In, the like of which the world will never see again,,, and I know because people come up to me all the time and tell me I know Dead shows like no one else, but me an Jerry were personal friends. Many a time Jerry would tell me how he just couldn't keep up with me in the amount of blow I could do. And of course I only got the best blow,,,, Jer told me that all the time. Enjoy you boxes and the ones that didn't get one, their loser with low energy :-)
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I sucks to do, but at least it's my way. I don't rip them in like disc 1, disc 2, disc 3 with tracks 1-8, 1-6, 1-9. I rip them into a common folder and number them 1-end. My folder will contain all the songs numbered in order. I don't care which set it is, or if it's an encore. You'll know when you listen. The worst part is adding the ">" to the id tag. Still in the air if it's easier to just type filename with out and add greater than to tag after, or rip with greater than in filename, have it turn to an "_", then change the filename. It's a buck dancers choice I guess.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I have the Europe '72 box set, and don't recall getting a book with it. I guess maybe I'd better open my trunk up tonight and see..... I looked. It was there......a real DOH!! moment
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

... I thought I was just deleting all my "sent" "PM"S", but I deleted all my "PM's". I know I was in touch with a couple of people about "things",, a Jeremy and a "I" guy, took care of tony F today, but now I don't have your info. I think that was Jeremy K. If you're waiting to hear from me, you may need to remail. Hit me at dennis.wilmot@verizon.net. Jeremy K, I see you in my email files.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

DHL phoned me this evening to tell me how much I would have to pay them (import duty, tax, their charges for presenting the thing to customs), asked me how I wanted to pay (I chose to pay the delivery man when he brings it - he has a mobile PIN thang for bank and credit cards) and told me that delivery would occur on Thursday. Gotta take a day off work to be home for that. Had already arranged to take Friday off so its gonna be a long weekend. No problem with that!
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Quick review: Damage free; red-felt; Ticket 10/30/91 Oakland, CA; Backstage Pass 8/22/93 Eugene, OR ....let's get ripping!

Member for

17 years 3 months

g1u2i3, I can't claim Alain's most excellent reasons for the Europe '72 book being dear to his heart (super cool), but I love it. The treasury of photos alone is worth it, and one section is nothing BUT photos. Plus some great reminiscences by a variety of those who were aboard. Well worth seeking out, in my opinion. The definitive document on that tour. Well, except for the audio documents, of course.....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 3 months

Yeah - I can hear the kick drum as well, but when I listen to 10-15-83, I hear the kick drum, but its not so abrasive. That is disappointing since I love all the shows i've heard from late 83.
user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

As far as I know, only the 11/10/67 L A show & 10/26/89 Miami shows were multi-track masters. the 11/10/67 show was an eight track recorder (as opposed to 2, 4, 16, 24 track analog machines), while the 89 show was 24 track analog.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I've gotten nothing either. No notice, no shipping information, no UPS tracking. I got all the notifications while we waited for months, but I'm getting impatient with the current wait.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

Arrived in great shape. Red Felt. Ticket is 10/27/91 Oakland CA. Backstage pass is 06/08/93 Auburn Hills, MI Looking forward to starting to listen tomorrow on the way to work!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I think mbarilla is really onto something with his analysis of the shows in the box. It's fascinating to think of how they're breaking down the vault and all the ideas and future releases floating around. In a box like this it probably is likely that they throw in a few duds. Shows that could never stand on their own as a DaP and wouldn't ever be a part of a box other than something like this. What good are they doing sitting in the vault taking up space and slowly getting older like the rest of us? Why not release them and hang onto the other shows that could possibly fit these other formats someday. I don't think they're purposely giving us stinkers but they found quality shows that are worth releasing with an audience patch and maybe less than ideal sound. This is the best format to do it.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Yeah, that totally makes sense. Shows that could not stand on their own would logically end up in 30T. There are other plans for better sounding shows, or ones that would fit some smaller theme. We won't get shows like these again until a huge download plundering of the vault occurs, probably years from now. So why are people buying individual shows from this box? Oh, forgot - to fund someone's "eye operation". This reminds me, let's petition again for an Ignore button. It would cut down on feuds because you'd never even see posts from your favorite vile POS antagonist. Or the ill-advised reactions to them. Like mine!
product sku