• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Dave rock its been released on the Beyond Description box set as bonus material,that it s what my reliable sources tell me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I see that came out from Rhino in between Dick's 32 &33 and more interestingly was also put out as individual albums including the bonus cuts in 2006. I wonder how hard those are to find?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I was figuring they’d go with 3/23/75 as Blues bonus also, but probably not if it’s already released? But who knows? Perhaps gives hope for 6/17/75!
They gave us two disc bonuses before : )
It would make a lot of folks happy, perhaps non more than ole BTK!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

about Mars bonus?
Hope it’s not just cut up tidbits…
Hopefully there’s a killer 74 show with incomplete reals but a discs worth of solid second set sequence of ooey gooey goodness as the Doc would say!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

I was trying to send a PM and kept getting "Hey Now!" I was calling the Grateful Dead just the "Dead" so I took away the word DEAD replaced it with Grateful Dead and it went through ????????

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

DMCVT Check your PM I finally got both to go through

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Chuck

if the PTB cared a rat's whisker and got rid of that Hey Now tripe

Poor business model

Really poor

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I would be glad to have the rest of the DaP 34 Bonus Disc show as the bonus for Mars 50.
Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by TN John

The name of Stanley Jordan's new ensemble.
Billed as performing "cosmic variations" in a jazz format on the Grateful Dead library.
Not sure how deep the dive is, but...
...color me intrigued.
Peace

Something of a hidden treasure on "Beyond Description", then. I can't see it advertised as a stand alone release anywhere. In fact, it doesn't seem to be listed in any of the available copies of the afore mentioned box either. Strange how such an important and unusual show should be hidden away like this.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Blues For Allah from 3-23-75 is included in the bonus disc of the Beyond Description box. Likely never released as a separate.
Cheers
Edit: Thirty two minutes of Blues For Allah and an encore was all they did at that benefit according to Deadbase X.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

While the reissues of the albums on "Beyond description" had extra tracks added, as 1stshow said, there was a separate bonus disc that came with pre-ordered copies of the box. Tracks on it are:
Weather Report Suite (live 10/17/74)
Blues For Allah > Stronger Than Dirt Or Milkin' The Turkey > Drums > Stronger Than Dirt Or Milkin' The Turkey > Blues For Allah (live 3/23/75)
Showboat (8/12/75 rehearsal)
Shakedown Street (live 8/13/79)
Far From Me (live 8/31/80)
Estimated Prophet (live 10/10/80)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by simonrob

I got Beyond Description years after release, so didn’t get the bonus disc.
The extra tracks on the studio albums from Golden Road and Beyond Description contain quite a few songs that later were released when the whole, or partial, show came out.
So, Dave, clean up 3-23-75 to today’s audio standards and release it in 2025.

Pulling through a 21 inch snow storm yesterday, central Vermont into Maine was the bullseye, Boston just got rain. Before that, unusually the ground was clear and thawed, ice was out on the pond, crocus in bloom, daffodils budding, very odd for mid March. Several editions of the SNACK concert can be found on the archive including a Charlie, it can be downloaded via ATTICS, a great candidate for a future release. Landmark show during the hiatus. HEY NOW got to go.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Sunny and completely cloudless here today, so why not a playing of Dave’s 32 from the Spectrum in Philly 3-24-73, with a decent Box of Rain.
While on Philly and the Spectrum, this official Phish release “Spectrum ‘97”, is hands down the best live recording I’ve heard in a while. Kudos to my Phishing Guide VGuy, who got me onto these guys in the first place. Void filled.
I, too, obtained Beyond Description after it was officially released, so no bonus disc for me. I remember at the time reading a lot of press about the (at the time) rare appearance of the Dead on the stage, who had Ned Lagin on keys with them, if memory serves. A show to have seen.

Shakedown? Hey Hendrixfreak, isn’t that “your” Shakedown?

DMCVT: cheese and rice dude, at this time of year, that’s some serious cement!
Careful Bra, that sheet will kill ya! Hopefully you can just let it melt and not have to shovel ; )

Yeah, what Conekid said!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

And that Shakedown is just the beginning. The 2nd set was definitely the highlight with a killer Truckin' > Nobody's Fault Jam > Truckin' that really sealed the deal. As good as it was I think 8-12-79 was better (of course, it was at Red Rocks).
Cheers
Edit: BTW Miller's SB sounds way better than my nosebleed seats sound was.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey Oro, its not quite the Rockies but these old green mountains do have a way of collecting real weather. Shovels and a little ryobi snowbroom that works like a charm though multiple passes required when deep. This was pretty light, whats dangerous is being under the metal roof edge when the load on top lets go. And yes, the compacted result is cement. Take the weatherproof blue tooth speaker out there and rock on.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

..with "Beyond Description" looks a bit of a botch up. While it would be nice to have the "Blues For Allah Suite" the other tracks look like a random selection without any connection at all. Apart for the 1975 rehearsal, I suppose

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

DR, I tried to post that sentiment as well earlier but got HN'd. Wouldn't let me post the contents of the disc either, but Simon got it to take. The whole release is full of loose threads almost like the other early stuff like So Many Roads. No real continuity but at least you get some hot songs. Doubt if it's in my shopping cart but used it is around $200 for 12 discs + bonus.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

I know snow, but though I’ve seen some dumplings of several feet at a time here, it’s usually so light and fluffy compared to the lake affect snow belt cement I used to shovel and plow back in WNY for half the neighborhood as a yoot. Which is what I feared you received, glads it’s not ; )

1stshow: I pave heard that show and checked out the Shakedown several times when HF and myself were playing verbal ping pong, and it is mos def good sheet!…but I still like 6/30/85 better ; ) lol

BONE US: yeah, I’m afraid that’s the similar approach we’ll get for Mars, though TNJohn might be on to something. Like something Dave would do…

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Yes, 8-13-79 is "my" Shakedown. A little background...

8-12-79 at the Rocks was a really good show. We got pretty lysergic'd that night. The next night at McNichols my girlfriend and I took a whopping dose and they opened with a thunderous Shakedown and proceeded to destroy the joint. I did get tapes and confirmed that the night -- a great show -- wasn't "all in my mind."

But ... I cannot discount the personal bias that comes with that experience and really have no need to put my experience or tapes in competition with other experiences and versions. I will say that I'd love that three-night run to come out, properly restored. We all have those short (or long) lists of desired releases. As we should. I have had all or part of ten shows I attended come out officially, which has that pleasing I-was-there vibe, no doubt.

Greetings to Oro, 1stshow, dcmvt, nappy, dennis, vguy, JimInMD and all. Yeah, we had the concrete snow last week, now it's violent sleet, hail and big rain, and little snow here on the Front Range flats. In a month I'll be paddling down the Colorado River and that means goin' down the road feelin' good...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....hey now pocky way.
Breaking down the hey nows back to formula.
I busted out the So Many Roads box in since forever it seems.
The Monterey '88 PITB has big balls.
Studio versions of Gentlemen Start Your Engines and Believe It Or Not pumping the adrenaline.
I caught both of those live.
It's all about timing I guess.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

I wouldn't have thought this at one time, but it does seem to me now that any music-or activity for that matter - that we enjoy, after having taken a psychedelic, is largely due to the drug we have taken, not the music or activity we have engaged in.
A lot of music only seems to work if we take the drug that inspired it. although I don't really think The Dead are like that - despite all the reports on here. I don't know if I would rate a lot of the music from the 70's that I still like so much if I hadn't turned on at the time of first being exposed to it.
An example of music I have never liked that is drug based is rave music - and I have always thought that this was because I never took ecstasy or went to a rave.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Music is used for everything from celebration to bereavement and grief, and everywhere in between!

Also, this hey now stuff. It finnally happened to me and it's annoying as hell! Didn't we have some odd things popping up here, awhile back?? Maybe that's why

Rock on, gang!

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Hmm, had some comments but got hey now'd. Will see if I can paste... nope apparently not. Comments on ancient music and altered states, how long have we been drumming, after sucking out the marrow, people were making bone flutes forty thousand years ago, bows known to have been used ten thousand plus years ago, that's a string bass. Psychogenic plants and fermentation, also eight to ten thousand years known at least. That the problem with prehistory, not much for documentation, petroglyphs, incised clay, cave paintings. But hey, after the hunt, why not settle back in front of the fire with music and enhancements.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I’ve just seen a terrific animated video on X with the date 3/27/24 for Mars Hotel. No other info either on dead.net or elsewhere, but no doubt it’ll appear soon.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I seen that too!!

Super excited!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

I just saw the Mars cartoon on Instagram. Same thing - no narrative, just the date of 3-27-24

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Weird telepathic coincidence?

Was talking the other day and I remembered a quote from bear "if you dont like today's music drop some acid and then give a chance." Paraphrase. Odd to have it come up again.

Can I post?

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

I was brushing my teeth with a large jug of bottled water in an albany strip mall parking lot when a cop car drove up and asked my friend and I if we enjoyed the show last night. It was a moment.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That's a classic concert story that needs more details, lol. Dozin' at the Knick seems appropriate now. Thx JJC.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Reminds me of the Spacemen 3 title ‘Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to’

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

"The Dead begin recording Mars Hotel"* ironically it was a Monday-another quirk in the land of DEAD!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Boycott the MH release.

Yeah right you might say

But I recommend boycotting

Show the PTB that angering your customers is not good business

I like the spirit, but it might be more pertinent for people to stop subscribing to Dave's Picks and all that clap trap. Besides, I have always rather liked Mars Hotel.

Oddly, I was able to edit and post comment from yesterday that was hey now'd several times... its back about ten or so. Relating to the ancient connection between music and altered states. Capchacha made me go through two screens, the second was for bridges, eerie after todays disaster. As far as this years big box, sure hope Rhino heard all those comments about the issues with the HCS package.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Rhino will certainly have heard all those comments about the issues with the HCS package. The big question is whether they will do anything to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Of course they are also aware of the "hey now" problem but haven't done anything to fix that.

As long as they keep selling stuff, why would they care?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

Because they love us.
And as Arthur Brown once sang " Love is a spirit that will never die."

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Thanks for the Spaceman comment. A band I had never heard of before. Gave me a nice little rabbit hole this morning with my coffee.

Thanks!

G

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Beyond Description is an excellent bonus, the series with the best bonus discs was Road Trips. There is a TON of prime release material that got caught up in those releases. RT 4.3 had 12.673 as the bonus material including a 57 minutes Dark Star > Eyes, whoa baby that's good

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Just wanted to wish Dickey Betts and Jaimoe a Happy 55th Anniversary of the founding of the Allman Brothers Band. Always love listening to you guys. Had a great time at all the shows I saw.

G

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html