• 41 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 52: The Downs at Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM (9/11/83)

I remember the venue almost like and old fort with roses everywhere. We came to the site and Wavy Gravy showed us where to camp. Ken Kesey was here as well as a couple other big figures of the counterculture. I think because of Mickey's 40th. During drums a double rainbow appeared. Every time it looked like rain the band would stop and then come back even stronger from their breaks. I saw more outdoor shows in 83 than all the years combined. I have goose bumps even typing this from the memories. - xxuncle johnxx, Dead.net

One of the best memories I have were these 2 shows. During the break there was a lightning storm behind the stage, followed by a rainbow and then an awesome 2nd set. Morning Dew with a Cold Rain, Phil singing encore. Most of my tour buddies went home after Red Rocks and I tortured them with the Santa Fe tapes. Nothing beats the magic of a great GD outdoor show. "It all bleeds into one." - grateful hawaiian, Dead.net

In between sets, I remember it rained... and early on in the second set, there was an amazing rainbow directly over the stage behind the band. I don't believe they saw it, but I'm sure they heard about it. "Let It Grow" was awesome! - Johnny_A, Dead.net

The pot at the end of this rainbow is mighty fine, indeed. Our final Dave's Picks release for 2024 features the complete unreleased show from The Downs at Santa Fe, Sante Fe, NM, 9/11/83 (fun fact, it was Mickey's 40th birthday) with just a squidge of 9/10/83 to round things out. A true trader's treat, this one is solid all around from the lively first set featuring soon-to-be minted 80s classics like "Hell In A Bucket" and "West L.A. Fadeaway" to the return of "Help>Slip>Franklin's," the incredible 2nd set surprise of "Let It Grow," and adventurous takes on "He's Gone,""Wang Dang Doodle," and "Morning Dew." It's all well played, my friend, well played.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 52: SANTA FE, NM 9/11/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • tnjed98
    Default Avatar

Strider! Can you please explain how someone calling attention to the repeatedly stale picks, as well as the recent technically deficient FOTD release, is a "buzzkill" ?? As stated, I am personally a huge fan of the Brent years - but the fact remains that the picks are getting stale. I guess if you are not blindly praising and paying Lemieux for whatever half-ass*d product he chooses to put out, then you are a hater. Happy to wear that label if so.

Personally, I prefer when I purchase something for it to work as expected and not be laden with file errors or poor audio. Did you even listen to 51? Sound quality was utter garbage

• Strider 808808

Remind me not to read all the comments. Hater posts about this Dead show. No buzz kill please.
    Thank you Dave. Great pick.

• canoncito@gmail.com

Home town shows for me (lived a couple miles away in La Cienega). It was the Best and the Worst of times....

Best was 3 Red Rocks shows, then coming home for this, and even better, the night off in between was Zozobra night, the kickoff of Santa Fe's Fiesta weekend...ten thousand plus gathered to burn Old Man Gloom, a 50' puppet, groaning and waving his arms in full ritual glory, letting go all our glooms from the year. So fun to share that with a friend from back east and a couple new show-friends who tagged along as we came south!

Also Best was the aforementioned weather magic, lightning in the foothills behind the stage as the first set ended, and the rainbow as they cranked it up for set 2 with Help on the Way. Classic!

The Worst, I'm afraid, reared its head in both concrete and creative realms....The Downs was set up for these shows (as in the previous fall) with the stage facing the grandstand from across the track's oval. This created some awful echoes for those in the middle; of course, you could solve that by moving up close enough to the speakers to overwhelm the echo....or by being way back in the stands....but not ideal for those who like to wander! (a later Lyle Lovett show I saw there rectified this by setting up parallel to the stands).

Sadly, this show featured what I felt at the time to be my clearest experience of Jerry's issues in these years. The way I heard the Help/Slip/Franklins sequence, Bobby was doing something really fun and creative at one point (I'm a "Bobby Fans are People, Too" guy), and ol' Jer just totally fell off the side of the train at just the point we were primed for him to ante up and raise the stakes. Just lost it. Happens to the best of us, I know....but it was pretty striking at the time.

The next summer, my compilation of the few(ish) highlights of that year's set of Red Rocks shows was called "Are We Having Fun Yet?" It was a rough stretch for sure.

Ah, well, not griping about the release or the band or the challenges Jerry was grappling with. Just my memories of these shows.... Which of course were still way fun in the moment despite the transient reminders of the deeper troubles lurking within.

• daverock

Butch - I agree with most of your post - I'm not sure I'd go along with remixing a show and dropping a musician that was there out of the mix ( Brent) however irksome his contributions became.

I enjoyed a lot of live music in the 1980's that doesn't stand up to close scrutiny now. I saw Hawkwind loads of time in the 80's and always enjoyed it - but I wouldn't recommend any of their live albums from that era. You really had to have been there - and I suspect it's the same with Dead shows. Maybe they will concentrate on souvenir shows from now on - ones that the greatest number of people attended, which would necessarily mean concentrating on 1980s-1990s.
    Not good. This could be the first year when I haven't wanted any of the Daves Picks shows that have come out.

• DeadVikes

Yes, September 11, Dennis.

Yes, it has been a different couple of years for Dave's Picks, but put me in the camp of wanting more variety, not less. There are tons of great shows out there from all eras. But, not everybody will be happy.

For me, the Frost shows were my favorite so far and that was a surprise to me, but I really like them and keep listening to them.

Based on sales, #49 is the only one that is actually sold out. You still have three from last year that are still available. Maybe they should cut it back a few thousand. Not sure that will happen.

My least favorite of the year was #51, sound quality is not very good.

I haven't heard the Santa Fe show yet, looking forward to it.

• tnjed98
    Default Avatar
    When will Lemieux stop hoarding and grifting?

Could not agree more with Butch's comment about how poor these releases have gotten, and this is coming from a huge fan of the Brent years. David, why do you continue to keep so many of the great, classic shows bottled up and give us this bull instead? Holding it all for the inevitable $5-600 GD60 Box?

Even worse than the choice of show for Vol 52 - how could anyone confidently expect a quality product from these clowns when the FOTD set was such a flaming pile of trash?

At my last count nearly 40 tracks in the set are totally unplayable, with no solution from Lemiuex and the crew but a refund - if you take the time to reach out and ask. No one from Dead.net coming out and saying, "hey - don't buy this it doesn't work properly." Very shady if you asked me but oh well, on to the next release of "top notch Grateful Dead music," so who cares! I wonder if/when enough of us heads will realize that these "archivists" are really just grifters ripping us all off.

My recommendation to anyone reading; buy a cheap external hard drive and fill it with free, high quality FLAC for less $ than you're spending on one or two of these bogus releases. Stop giving David Lemieux your money for nothing of value in return.

• Dennis

I see 11 & 40 on the birds,,, I assume the 40 is mick's birthday. Is 11 the date?

• Butch

I'm done subscribing. There is so much good 60s and 70s material in the vault, and half the releases these days are the band on the decline. Doesn't matter how many people were buying tickets for the shows (thus is always the argument for the 80s), the recordings suck. I don't how people can stand listening to that keyboard player's bar band vocals. Sure the concerts were great live and in person, but so were the Stones this year but I am not listening to a recording of them in 2024. It's no secret why sales are down. There used to be so many subscriptions that these things would sell out in less than 24 hours. It goes to show hiw few people want a subscription where they're getting two Brent shows a year, usually with bad audio. I would remix Spring 90 without his vocals or most of his keyboards. Dude, learn when to stop playing. Oh, but he made Jerry smile onstage. Never mind. Keep them coming.

We had 1 show from before the hiatus in 2024, including the box set. Dave, Rhino, and Pinkus don't deserve my money when they're holding back great material from 68-74. There won't be 25K Dave's Picks per release next year. They got cocky and tried to mix in too much after hiatus music. The Dave's Picks titanic is sinking. Shame.

• Deadheadbrewer

For my money, the best tour between the end of 1978 and the Summer of 1987.

LOVE the cover art!

• bluecrow

A fun release! Wish I could of seen these two shows cause its NM (an adopted state - work there, all over the state, on a regular basis) and Santa Fe (beautiful fascinating town with deep history - famous for good reasons), and yeah, they're smoking outdoor shows with awesome high desert weather. Really love the racing roadrunners!! NM state bird - always happy with a roadrunner sighting!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 5 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 52: The Downs at Santa Fe, Santa Fe, NM (9/11/83)

I remember the venue almost like and old fort with roses everywhere. We came to the site and Wavy Gravy showed us where to camp. Ken Kesey was here as well as a couple other big figures of the counterculture. I think because of Mickey's 40th. During drums a double rainbow appeared. Every time it looked like rain the band would stop and then come back even stronger from their breaks. I saw more outdoor shows in 83 than all the years combined. I have goose bumps even typing this from the memories. - xxuncle johnxx, Dead.net

One of the best memories I have were these 2 shows. During the break there was a lightning storm behind the stage, followed by a rainbow and then an awesome 2nd set. Morning Dew with a Cold Rain, Phil singing encore. Most of my tour buddies went home after Red Rocks and I tortured them with the Santa Fe tapes. Nothing beats the magic of a great GD outdoor show. "It all bleeds into one." - grateful hawaiian, Dead.net

In between sets, I remember it rained... and early on in the second set, there was an amazing rainbow directly over the stage behind the band. I don't believe they saw it, but I'm sure they heard about it. "Let It Grow" was awesome! - Johnny_A, Dead.net

The pot at the end of this rainbow is mighty fine, indeed. Our final Dave's Picks release for 2024 features the complete unreleased show from The Downs at Santa Fe, Sante Fe, NM, 9/11/83 (fun fact, it was Mickey's 40th birthday) with just a squidge of 9/10/83 to round things out. A true trader's treat, this one is solid all around from the lively first set featuring soon-to-be minted 80s classics like "Hell In A Bucket" and "West L.A. Fadeaway" to the return of "Help>Slip>Franklin's," the incredible 2nd set surprise of "Let It Grow," and adventurous takes on "He's Gone,""Wang Dang Doodle," and "Morning Dew." It's all well played, my friend, well played.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 52: SANTA FE, NM 9/11/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

My buddy from Crested Butte went to these shows. Have to get the low down on it from him. Always cool to hear if memories match the newly released sound.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

LET'S DO THIS
PLAY DEAD
PLAY DEAD LOUD

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

I've heard good things!

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Really looking forward to this one!

user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

In reply to by RyXs

A great show on the "Ultimate Cassette." Thanks for releasing this gem of a show.
If I recall correctly (IIRC), the China Doll from the 9/10 filler is very sweet and probably will get me crying about how we miss Jerry. I haven't heard 9/10 in years.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 4 months

Naturally to get in the mood.

Worthy 1st set MVP: Big RR Blues

Always love the anticipation of a new release. Hope we have it by the end of next week.

Dave teased #53, which we will know soon, as an era they don't hit much and it was between two shows. Okay, that is interesting. What era could it be?

user picture

Member for

9 years

A fun release! Wish I could of seen these two shows cause its NM (an adopted state - work there, all over the state, on a regular basis) and Santa Fe (beautiful fascinating town with deep history - famous for good reasons), and yeah, they're smoking outdoor shows with awesome high desert weather. Really love the racing roadrunners!! NM state bird - always happy with a roadrunner sighting!

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

For my money, the best tour between the end of 1978 and the Summer of 1987.

LOVE the cover art!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I'm done subscribing. There is so much good 60s and 70s material in the vault, and half the releases these days are the band on the decline. Doesn't matter how many people were buying tickets for the shows (thus is always the argument for the 80s), the recordings suck. I don't how people can stand listening to that keyboard player's bar band vocals. Sure the concerts were great live and in person, but so were the Stones this year but I am not listening to a recording of them in 2024. It's no secret why sales are down. There used to be so many subscriptions that these things would sell out in less than 24 hours. It goes to show hiw few people want a subscription where they're getting two Brent shows a year, usually with bad audio. I would remix Spring 90 without his vocals or most of his keyboards. Dude, learn when to stop playing. Oh, but he made Jerry smile onstage. Never mind. Keep them coming.

We had 1 show from before the hiatus in 2024, including the box set. Dave, Rhino, and Pinkus don't deserve my money when they're holding back great material from 68-74. There won't be 25K Dave's Picks per release next year. They got cocky and tried to mix in too much after hiatus music. The Dave's Picks titanic is sinking. Shame.

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

I see 11 & 40 on the birds,,, I assume the 40 is mick's birthday. Is 11 the date?

Could not agree more with Butch's comment about how poor these releases have gotten, and this is coming from a huge fan of the Brent years. David, why do you continue to keep so many of the great, classic shows bottled up and give us this bull instead? Holding it all for the inevitable $5-600 GD60 Box?

Even worse than the choice of show for Vol 52 - how could anyone confidently expect a quality product from these clowns when the FOTD set was such a flaming pile of trash?

At my last count nearly 40 tracks in the set are totally unplayable, with no solution from Lemiuex and the crew but a refund - if you take the time to reach out and ask. No one from Dead.net coming out and saying, "hey - don't buy this it doesn't work properly." Very shady if you asked me but oh well, on to the next release of "top notch Grateful Dead music," so who cares! I wonder if/when enough of us heads will realize that these "archivists" are really just grifters ripping us all off.

My recommendation to anyone reading; buy a cheap external hard drive and fill it with free, high quality FLAC for less $ than you're spending on one or two of these bogus releases. Stop giving David Lemieux your money for nothing of value in return.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

Yes, September 11, Dennis.

Yes, it has been a different couple of years for Dave's Picks, but put me in the camp of wanting more variety, not less. There are tons of great shows out there from all eras. But, not everybody will be happy.

For me, the Frost shows were my favorite so far and that was a surprise to me, but I really like them and keep listening to them.

Based on sales, #49 is the only one that is actually sold out. You still have three from last year that are still available. Maybe they should cut it back a few thousand. Not sure that will happen.

My least favorite of the year was #51, sound quality is not very good.

I haven't heard the Santa Fe show yet, looking forward to it.

Butch - I agree with most of your post - I'm not sure I'd go along with remixing a show and dropping a musician that was there out of the mix ( Brent) however irksome his contributions became.

I enjoyed a lot of live music in the 1980's that doesn't stand up to close scrutiny now. I saw Hawkwind loads of time in the 80's and always enjoyed it - but I wouldn't recommend any of their live albums from that era. You really had to have been there - and I suspect it's the same with Dead shows. Maybe they will concentrate on souvenir shows from now on - ones that the greatest number of people attended, which would necessarily mean concentrating on 1980s-1990s.
Not good. This could be the first year when I haven't wanted any of the Daves Picks shows that have come out.

user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

Home town shows for me (lived a couple miles away in La Cienega). It was the Best and the Worst of times....

Best was 3 Red Rocks shows, then coming home for this, and even better, the night off in between was Zozobra night, the kickoff of Santa Fe's Fiesta weekend...ten thousand plus gathered to burn Old Man Gloom, a 50' puppet, groaning and waving his arms in full ritual glory, letting go all our glooms from the year. So fun to share that with a friend from back east and a couple new show-friends who tagged along as we came south!

Also Best was the aforementioned weather magic, lightning in the foothills behind the stage as the first set ended, and the rainbow as they cranked it up for set 2 with Help on the Way. Classic!

The Worst, I'm afraid, reared its head in both concrete and creative realms....The Downs was set up for these shows (as in the previous fall) with the stage facing the grandstand from across the track's oval. This created some awful echoes for those in the middle; of course, you could solve that by moving up close enough to the speakers to overwhelm the echo....or by being way back in the stands....but not ideal for those who like to wander! (a later Lyle Lovett show I saw there rectified this by setting up parallel to the stands).

Sadly, this show featured what I felt at the time to be my clearest experience of Jerry's issues in these years. The way I heard the Help/Slip/Franklins sequence, Bobby was doing something really fun and creative at one point (I'm a "Bobby Fans are People, Too" guy), and ol' Jer just totally fell off the side of the train at just the point we were primed for him to ante up and raise the stakes. Just lost it. Happens to the best of us, I know....but it was pretty striking at the time.

The next summer, my compilation of the few(ish) highlights of that year's set of Red Rocks shows was called "Are We Having Fun Yet?" It was a rough stretch for sure.

Ah, well, not griping about the release or the band or the challenges Jerry was grappling with. Just my memories of these shows.... Which of course were still way fun in the moment despite the transient reminders of the deeper troubles lurking within.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Remind me not to read all the comments. Hater posts about this Dead show. No buzz kill please.
Thank you Dave. Great pick.

Strider! Can you please explain how someone calling attention to the repeatedly stale picks, as well as the recent technically deficient FOTD release, is a "buzzkill" ?? As stated, I am personally a huge fan of the Brent years - but the fact remains that the picks are getting stale. I guess if you are not blindly praising and paying Lemieux for whatever half-ass*d product he chooses to put out, then you are a hater. Happy to wear that label if so.

Personally, I prefer when I purchase something for it to work as expected and not be laden with file errors or poor audio. Did you even listen to 51? Sound quality was utter garbage

FFS, we get it, some folks are very particular with what THEY like.
No problemo, just why do they have to be such a nasty pricks about it?
Guess that’s what we’ve turned into in the modern world…

And as far as unequal representation, hmmmm Id say over representation if you actually think before you spew, with 25 outta 52 picks from the 9 pre hiatus years of 66-74, so almost 50% of all Dave’s are from only 9 years, or less than 1/3 of all the years….really, only six years as 66-68 has for whatever reason been ignored.
So almost half of all picks are from only 6 years, yeah Boo Hoo, totally under represented…

And spare us the nonsense about everybody’s opinion is important etc,
Once again, ad nauseam, I’m not suggesting that folks can’t dislike something or not have an opinion, just don’t be a dick about it!, because ya know what sucks more than being disappointed by a pick…waking up all happy to enjoy a new day, come to what is supposed to be the happy safe place, read about a new pick, and instead get such hostilities. Total Buzz Kill!

Edit: FOTD box ?…yes, the DL situation is not cool, but your mixing apples and oranges cause the CD box is one of the best as far as recordings, sonics and production!

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I’m down!
Only heard these once working in the garage but I really liked em, especially the 10th, but the 11 is good too, perhaps best of the fall, although I’ve always been partial to 8/27 just for the Jack Straw Phil Phest.

Anyone interested in this time might also enjoy 10/16, 17, 18, and 22, among others…

Strider! Nice to see ya!

user picture

Member for

17 years 4 months

My expectations are low, so hopefully they get exceeded. One thing to know Butch is the 3rd and 4th picks are always the weakest, never a long tent pole show. Anyway, I do love a release with filler!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oroborous,

Bravo! Thank you for being the one to say it! I could not agree more with every statement you made.

We have sooo many releases from the 70s (and I love every one of them!). I think it's a blast of cool air when when something from the 80s or 90s turns up. I say keep them coming full tilt.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Hey rockers!!!

Been trying to stay out of the fray lately, but here I am..............

Not a hater, nor an apologist for DL and/or TPTB. Pretty good show. Not my favorite era, but saw many good shows in 83 and would have gone to more.

Don't like DL's choices? It's a challenging balancing act, trying to keep everybody happy. Think you could do better? Good luck with that............

Enjoyed the comment, which was right on, about getting an external hard drive and finding stuff on your own. Been doing that for years. If they never put out another official release, I would still be a happy camper. You could too!! How? LOL you know where to find me, always happy to share...........

I shall now crawl back under my rock, while cranking 4/6/69..............

Music is like an open sky., you know it's out there... and there you are......

Rock on,

Doc
Music exists for the purpose of growing an admirable heart.....

Hate seems a ludicrously over the top word to use in this context. I hate war. I don't hate Brent era Dead shows. I'm just not keen on them. I liked the 1983 show in 30 Trips when I played it last month. But that doesn't mean I want another one.

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Harsh comments, but a person is entitled to their opinion/feelings.

The good thing is, nothing is mandatory, you have a choice. (which they're looking to take from women)

I'll say it, I'm not the biggest fan of "primal" period, the song list was pretty short and I can generally live without feedback. (that's why we have drums/space :-) )

I like "official" releases, even eras I don't root for. The anal in me likes being able to check off "officially release" stuff.

In the end, every show I believe is on the archive and a lot of times they can be just as good as an "official release".

And I agree, everybody thinks they can pick better than Dave. I think they can pick "just" as good.

I like to see numbers, but, I'd bet for every 1 person who isn't happy with the release, there are 10 or more who are more than happy. (except for digital download customers,,,, hard to believe this is still a problem!!)

Last thought, I wouldn't mind Dick's being redone with whole shows.

Dave you're doing a fine job!

user picture

Member for

1 year 3 months

I like ‘em. Looking forward to this one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Reading comments has me super excited. Another show I have never heard.

As others say, Bring It On.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

I actually was at many shows in the 80's. First show 6/28/85. Us Deadheads regularly show after show rolled out into the lots heads spinning wildly from what we had just experienced.

We couldn't wait to get to the next time, nothing else compared.

Sure it wasn't earlier years, but it still was light years beyond anything else going on.

I question if folks that rank so hard on 80's show were even in attendance.

Might as well close the book on Vinnie year release. You won't cherish them and play them regularly for years to come. Get real.

I thank Dave for finally coming around to even releasing 80's shows.

Don't like, don't buy, release numbers will go down. No big deal. Might even get more releases with 5 or 10 thousand runs.

I'll hold Starlight 82' or Merriweather 85' to anything from Casio Keyboard Man years.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by wharfrat6969

And Happy Birthday to Bob. Still only 77 yesterday!

So, are they going to do a MUATM this year? Does anyone know?

I seem to recall Dave mention one at some point this year.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

Seems to me and from what Dave said in his chat, this pick got bumped up in the rotation. Apparently it was already on the back burner from the time of the Boise pick. Also from what I understand it sounds like a fine performance from a good run of shows, outdoors at that.
As for previous speculations, I am guessing that if the "different line~up" pick was indeed one of the Vinnie era, {with Bruce?} it is still on the way.
I recall one seaside or deck chair chat where Dave said he delayed the Eugene~'90 pick {Daves#44} in leu of the 1990 Deer Creek double show for Dave's #40. To be honest I am glad he did that switcheroo for the subscription year, the excellent late era Brent show went so well with the previous pick. Which was a funky Phil show in Philly'83, no disrespect to the Eugene 1990 show.

user picture

Member for

2 years 11 months

#53 10/9 & 10/82 Frost, #54 9/20/70, & 10/31/70, #55 7/13/76 Orpheum Theatre, with filler, #56. 12/28, & 30/83 S.F. Civic.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Hey rockers!

Would prefer that the 10/30-31/70 be released together. Would probably fit on 4 CDS. Maybe, just maybe...........

As far as 9/20/70 goes, still probably some sonic issues to iron out, would make a nice single non-Dave's Pick release, as they sometimes do...........

Just sayin'...............

My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there.....

Rock on!

Doc
Well, the future for me is already a thing of the past......

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

History never looks like history when you are living through it..........

In regard to revisionist history. I'm the first to admit that I'm critical of the 80s and especially the 90s. Not a hater, just critical. My friends and I saw the majority of our shows in the 80s and would have gone to many more if we could have. Many good shows from that era, especially in 1984-1985. Some great times, SPAC, Hershey, Carrier Dome, Centrum shows, and of course the magical mystical Augusta. But now, decades later, I find it hard to listen to that era. Probably because of my early tape trading days and exposure to high quality early shows. But I get why people like it, I was there and know for a fact that there were many very very good shows then....................

As well as, LOL, a couple of stinkers!!!

Keep it rockin'!

Doc
There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know.......

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 11 months

It will be interesting to hear how these recordings sound because most of the circulating records are sped up. I think they were playing fast, but not as fast as the recordings. Also what has been labeled as SBDs have quite of bit of audience ambience in them. I prefer a pure SBD myself.

But the setlists and performance in this shows especially 9/11/83 is grade A in my book. Help>Slip>Franklin>Let It Grow, fantastic! Lots of other highlights too. I'm pretty excited for this release!

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Interesting how polarizing this pick is already. I've said before that I'm not a massive '83 fan, but I'm happy to get some variety. Because I'm never going to run out of '71-'74 material to play at this point. I also know that many of us, myself included, would probably cut off a finger to make a soundboard of 9/20/70 materialize. Alas, the vault just doesn't hold every last thing: there are some missing reels and some missing shows. So in lieu of getting blood from a turnip, I'm down with getting a show that fans who were there speak highly of, and one that I've never heard before.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-52-the-downs-at-santa-fe-santa-fe-nm-91183/081227817503.html