• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....DaP 5 is my favorite Dave's as well. Schwing gets into the top 5, but Pauley still rules.
    Top five Dave's, off the top of my deadhead....
    ....a plethora of goodness.
    That Schwing Samson tho. Can't get enough.

• Thats_Otis

First off, Bob, that Summer 78 Box is so good! I'm amazed that it hasn't sold out. Personally, 78 is not my favorite vintage Dead, but that set sounds so great, and the physical box with that amazing artwork may be my favorite released yet.

On to Swing - this may overtake DaP 5 for the best of the series... the only drawback is that I, along with many of you, had already known this show in a crystal Betty tape. That being said, to hear the work done on this to balance it all out, plus the wizardry that is Normanization, I feel like I am hearing this show for the first time again - and what a show it is!!! This is taking the place of SkullFuck and/or Europe 72 as my "If you haven't 'really' heard the Dead, listen to this" recommendation. (One petty criticism - I too am getting really sick of the skeleton artwork. This one is really nice, but the overall theme is getting tired. It just seems like there is so much an artist could do for these releases... skeletons are cool, but...)

I hope you all are having a great weekend! Port Chester 2/19 was on Sirius as the wife and I were doing errands today. Made me miss our friend Forensic Doc. Doc, if you're out there, I hope you're killing it! (though that would be a dark way to get business :)

Also, did you hear about that guy in Colorado that was attacked by a mountain lion and killed it with his bare hands?

Thank god he had bear hands... (giant paw motion required...)

Peace

Edit: Also, I am surprised that this Swing show wasn't a mass release. Perhaps they are moving away from those.

• Sun King

#2...!!!! I've never got one that low. I think I got one in the hundreds once, but that's it. But watch out, I'm certain to win w/#30. "I got no chance of losin' this time."

• icecrmcnkd

The Song Remains The Same on BluRay Audio sounds awesome.

Also, I believe that the BluRay version of 8-27-72 has a 24/196 option on it.

• DeadVikes

Thanks for the info Deadheadbrewer on HDCDs. I think you answered my question that you really can't tell much of a difference. Of course SACD and DVD Audio are a completely different ball of wax. Again here we are talking multi channel audio which is just awesome. I chased these formats for years and there is just not much affordable material out there and of course no Dead live material in these formats. I do have some great DVD Audio of Steely Dan and Frampton Comes Alive. And some studio Dead releases.
    The Dead have released some of their new releases in FLAC, has anybody listened to any of these releases in FLAC?

• icecrmcnkd

Yeah, I remember them, had a bunch of them.

How about a muddy, hissy digital file?
    Try this one on for size.

gd76-07-13.sbd.bertha-ashley.9978.sbeok.flac16

Can a robot detect hiss?

• MDJim

Third world problems to be sure.. Still, we all want it to always sound exactly perfect.

Does anyone remember hissy audience tapes? :D

Back to Gainesville.. isn't there a problem with the first set soundboard? I always assumed this was destined to not be released for that reason.. we are used to splices but an entire set might send some of us buggy. There is a great Jim Wise / Charlie Miller audience out there too, which is what I assume everyone is listening to. The early 80's had same audience tapes.. the crowd wasn't as rowdy as it would get by the mid and late 80's.

• daverock

It can be a bit tiresome, trying to work out which way to get the best sound when you have multiple options. The King Crimson box sets, much as I love them, stun me by enclosing multiple mixes of each single album- each with different sound options over a range of formats-cd/blu ray/dvd.

These "I am not a robot" questions don't get any easier either!

• Charlie3

Deadheadbrewer, I had been wondering how much of a difference an HDCD player would make. Not wondering enough to get an HDCD player, but curious nonetheless. I am far from having dog ears myself, but I do like to maximize my listening pleasure. Currently my cd player is hooked to my receiver with the digital connection so the DAC in the receiver is actually doing the work and the cd player is really just reading the disc and sending the digital data to the receiver.

• jrf68@hotmail.com

I'm glad I don't have dog ears like a bunch of you folks think you do. Jeeze.
    I just enjoy it for what it is...the greatest band on the planet.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Right on Uncle Sam
I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by nitecat

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html