• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    I'm also gonna speak for all of us in sayin'....

....Morning Dew ain't no philler.

• deadtony

Dang! Talk about radio silence! Bolo is awol! Perhaps the shutdown has compromised his last reported position

• Vguy72

....those posters on the wall bring out the OCD in me. Are they uneven, or is it just me? 😞
    ....it's a condition, not a disease.

• MDJim
    Swing Auditorium, Long Live The Grateful Dead

(from Wikipedia)
    Swing Auditorium was an indoor arena located on E Street in San Bernardino, California. It had a capacity of 10,000 patrons.

Named for California state senator Ralph E. Swing, the arena was constructed at the grounds of the National Orange Show in 1949.

Many musicians and other artists performed at the venue, including Jack Benny, George Burns, Louis Armstrong, Grateful Dead, Ike & Tina Turner, Elvis Presley and (for 13 consecutive years) Bob Hope.

Sammy Davis Jr. hosted a benefit concert at the venue in 1958, featuring performances by Judy Garland, Jerry Lewis, Tony Curtis, Danny Thomas and Shirley MacLaine. Davis hosted the event to demonstrate his appreciation to the San Bernardino Community Hospital for treating him following an automobile accident in 1954.[2] Davis lost his left eye as a result.

The venue altered in the 1960s, becoming a prominent rock arena for the West Coast.
    In 1964, it was the launching point of the first American tour of The Rolling Stones.

On February 26, 1977, the venue was the launching point of the winter tour of the Grateful Dead and hosted their very first public performances of the songs Terrapin Station and Estimated Prophet. That concert has been released as Dave's Picks Volume 29.

On September 11, 1981, the auditorium was irreparably damaged when it was struck by a twin-engine Cessna following which the building had to be razed.

• MDJim

Been there twice..

but you know what they say, once a juvenile delinquent, always a juvenile delinquent.. as I drove into the city after hours on the road crossing my legs for the last thirty minutes, I saw the arrow and the symbolism was clear.. ahhh...

I guess that explains the $150 urinating in public fine I have been begrudging all these years. Karma's a bitch.

Then again.. after seeing the rains CA got over the last week.. I think the grand master in the clouds might have caught the same symbolism.. Talk about some rain.. Perhaps it's just a giant rain stick for the gods and we need to make one on every CA (and Nevada) mountain??

• Born Cross Eye…

I have seen pictures of this arrow on the mountain, people have told me about it and different stories about it, I have never have been to Berdoo, yet. This "official" story clears things up for me.
    Thank you!

• Butch

Thats 5 branches. I had no idea what that picture was on the front cover of Dave's Picks 29. I even looked up the venue to see if it somehow looks like that, but it doesn't.

Dreading, surely you jest? I am probably the newest hardcore Deadhead on the block, and even in my newbieness, I know that Stagger Lee only hit the set lists Octoberish 1978. Judging by your avatar picture of The Closing of Winterland, I imagine you are a fan of what has to be the best Stagger Lee of all time (and one of the few times Bobby sounds like he's somewhat proficient with the slide guitar).

Speaking of Bobby, has anyone really taking a good listen to any of the Dead and Company shows? Just wondering if he actually plays well anymore, or if he's just kind of strumming here and there and letting the rest of the band shape the tunes. I've been close to downloading a couple of these dead and Company shows, but then I say to myself, with so little time for listening to music, I should be listening to the best stuff they have. Because there is so much from there prime years that I still have not heard at least 10 times :-)

• Vguy72

....a shiny new thread! Let's hope defects don't taint it. Brown acid syndrome. Good thing I bought the subscription, because I took the family to a cool southern Nevada gold mine tour today. I would've missed out, yet netted both!!!
    .... edit. boobs & butts capcha's. 🤔
    .... double edit. If someone comes here to bitch about missing out, don't say we didn't tell you to prep ahead, cause I think I can comfortably say that we don't want to hear it. The senator rests.

• FiveBranch

....it took some research to find out the significance of the arrowhead. Not surprisingly, stories abound to explain its origination:

https://www.ci.san-bernardino.ca.us/about/history/the_arrowhead.asp

Makes a Terrapin opener now all the more interesting!

The watercolor is a nice change. Such a natural, slightly anarchistic tone to the medium.

• dreading

Was soooooo bummed out to see the track list, and no Stagger Lee.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Right on Uncle Sam
I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by nitecat

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html