• 7,936 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • marye
    Yeah, that was a time, back at the academic fest, and it was great to meet you too. And in any case, glad to see you back here.
  • JimInMD

Very good recording of a nice late era show. The highlight for me was Space>The Other One with Ornette but all in all the show is balanced, clean and well played.

As for 6/26/74, all I can say is more. More 74. I'm hitting that now as I do a little yardwork on the lazy river road I live on. Cleaning the house is next. It takes a good, jazzy 1974 classic to get through housework without becoming grumplestilkskin. And the house is a little trashed so make it a good, long show and tomorrow will be a brighter day.

Clean 25 and a show like that. Certainly a pivotal moment in time for those involved.

• Forensicdoceleven
    The bus came by and we got on.............

Morning, rockers!!

You can probably imagine what I listened to on my morning commute...........

Can it really be 50 years since we had our minds blown at the Providence Civic Center???!!!

It was my high school graduation present from my brother. He & his best friend took me & my best friend (that was his first show, can you imagine that?!!). Cosmic music, killer sound system, clean 25, sign us up, we're on the bus!! For life!!!

The nice surprise Big River show opener, the way cool, very bouncy, jammy, stand alone Scarlet Begonias, yes The Race Is On, fine Half Step, we Let It Grow, second surprise US Blues to open set two, tremendous China/Rider, great Truckin', fine Other One big jam, a touch of the Spanish theme, and of course the major major surprise, once-in-a-lifetime Eyes Of The World encore. A night to remember, and yes I do!!!

Best show I ever saw. We wouldn't see another of this kind for ten years, but that's a story for October. You know what I mean............

There is not one big cosmic meaning for all, there is only the meaning we each give to our life, an individual meaning, an individual plot, like an individual novel, a book for each person........

Rock on,

Doc
    Shine like the day I set cosmic eyes on you, friend, by the light of the sweet squash in my lovely laser broom.....

• bolo24

A bit of synchronicity. I recently re-read Vonnegut's "Sirens Of Titan" and did some googling to see if anyone was still pursuing bringing it to the silver screen. What should pop up but your interview with Garcia in 1987 discussing that very topic!

By the way, I certainly enjoyed meeting you a few years back in San Jose. Hope all is well with you.

"Shall we go, you and I while we can, through the chrono-synclastic infundibulum?"

• marye
    Good to see you.
  • bolo24

2/23/93 - Mardi Gras with Ornette Coleman. Our group of friends had a float in the parade (kind of a long story). Our "Acme Krewe" was listed at the bottom of the poster for that show.

As usual, I will categorically deny posting here today.

• Oroborous

Really,
    Unless you were there, you’ll never fully grasp this show. (Toga 84)
    One of our best GD experiences, right up there with Oxford 88!
    In a word: ELECTRIC! The weather, crowd, vibe, cannot KNOW this show without all that.
    The Dancin in the Streets is pretty much the theme song for this show.
    Started the day before and didn’t stop until the next day.
    (I’ll share some more stories separately)
    Yeah the vocals are ragged on Dancin, but have been on every show opener on this tour so far. Dire Wolf has a little cocaine gargle but it’s not that bad?
    Minglewood is off the fuggin charts! Seriously, (besides Bobs slide solo going on to long and the unfortunate mandatory screaming badger being tortured noise) it’s a monster! And from there things just keeps on growing.
    Wonderland was good, but polite, which makes sense considering national radio coverage in two countries along with very pricey tickets (Seva Benefit).
    City Isle started out ruff, but creeped to where I felt the Drumz onward was good, but,…, but Toga…Insane!
    I’m sure the environment/vibe/energy or what not was so intense the band would have felt it, probably before arrival lol
    And they sure seemed to rise to it: going hard for it and having just as much fun as us, well, almost lol. Not only could you feel it, you could see they were way into it!
    I think the only critique I can make about this show was, too much energy. They were so jacked up on the vibe (on top of everything else; ) that at times I think over enthusiasm led to not always being just exactly perfect. Hard to describe, they generally played well, just not so perfect, if that makes sense?
    I’m onto Blossom currently, the third show we hit that summer, and so far it’s ok, but..kinda laid back after the opening volley of tour ragers.
    Oh, yeah, Merriweather I rehashed and they’re similar: start out ragged, but look out, the rocket lifts off and burns baby burns. Again, hot but excess sometimes perhaps leads to occasional less than perfect moments, but good shows if not RJ. Summer tour 84,
    Onward!

Can’t imagine those shows on a bike. The rain was what helped make both those shows so fun, but in 85 by the next day we’d had enough, (even before Hershey lol) and we weren’t on bikes! But hey, the adversity usually helped make good shows great!

Edit: added my story to the 6/24/84 show page if anyones interested.

• Obeah

Doc you were there? I normally don't spend time feeling envious, but this is one of those shows where I sure wish I coulda been there. After all these years it is still a show I'll listen to any day, any time. There's something for everyone: Weir was absolutely on, Healy with his bag of tricks, Phil on mad bombing runs (and that Tom Thumb's!!), drummers on point all night long, Brent so colorful and out in front (and just a demon on the organ), and I run out of superlatives to talk about Garcia's performance this day.

• dmcvt

Hey Jim, no question, play Airto Moreira and the Gods of Jazz recordings Killer Bees, or Revenge of the Killer Bees. Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Stanley Clarke early fusion, like Weather Report but different, very interesting, under the radar stuff. For treatment, instead of toxic spray, Dr. Bronners peppermint castille in cool water, soak that nest from safe distance with a hose end sprayer on a cold morning . Bees, wasps etc hate peppermint and soap being surfactant, gets under their exoskeletal shells. Once the nest is soaked a time or two, they will abandon.

• Forensicdoceleven
    I have jumped off a balcony from the second floor.......

Hey hey hey................

As a certain Mr Pen used to say, "Baby I ain't no balcony hanger!"..........

The 1985 SPAC show was the only Dead show I ever attended solo. Beautiful day, rode out on the bike, camped out on the lawn, had some green leafy material, just enjoyed the heck out of the whole experience!

Early the next morning set out for Hershey. Got soaked on the way, but hey, when you're on a bike and you get soaked, you can't get any wetter. My best friend and my brother---both bikers---were supposed to ride down and met me there and we'd ride back together. LOL they chickened out. It rained, but we kept the blow dry. Another enjoyable and noteworthy experience..........

Rode back solo the next day, those were the days!

Rock on!!!

Doc, paperwork day!
    Youth has no age.....

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

I was looking over the weekend at jerry's brokedown palace, and I was looking at Mar's Hotel stuff. Just reviewing pictures again. Noticed someone had posted a "Mars Hotel" float with skeleton in top hat on top.

Never seen that before, assuming it has to be from a NYE show but can't find it in deadbase. It is tagged with gd.nye....

Any ideas?

Also has pick of the band at the mars hotel, looks like in a library watching tv. Dated 1974-06-27

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

They are playing the crap out of 1976 on the GD Channel on Satellite Radio the last two weeks.

I get the feeling they are stalking us.

I do think of all the unreleased box set quality stuff that remains unreleased, there is comparatively more '71, '73 and '76 than most other years (an honorable mention to '89). '69 is an obvious omission but I am not sure all the shows sound quite as good and are necessarily box set slam dunks. The other years with 'grate' recording quality have been pretty heavily mined.

I'm sure I glossed over some pockets of goodness, would love to hear others thoughts. If you listen to the last seventy six box, the recordings are really, really good. We know there are more there, unless our crack team of diggers has successfully tunneled under the vault, broken through the concrete and loaded the unreleased master tapes in the back of my truck.. in which case they all will get released this year starting with the Banana Box Set, 66 through January 1970, the complete recordings.

Still working through Baltimore '73, this year takes me three or four days to give it a good listen. I bet 1973 shows on average are longer than any other year.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The reason I'm bolo24 and not some other number. Best I ever saw.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by bolo24

Great to see you again. Had wondered where are you.

I have been so far away from news I didn't even know about Mr. Mays passing. Wish I could have seen him.

Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by bolo24

Hola Bolo,

Good to see you again. Hope they haven't been working you too hard wherever it is you have been hiding out.

mmm... running your post through my All New A.I. Enabled Box Set and Dave's Picks Decrypter, Chat GD

If I simply plug Bolo24 into the system, this is what I get:

B = 2nd letter in the alphabet
O = 12th letter in the alphabet
L = 15th letter in the alphabet
O = 12th letter in the alphabet
24 = 24

2 + 12+15+12+24 = 65

65 -> 6/5 = June 5th

So we are getting a mini box set of shows played on June 5th

Shows on June 5th are:

06/05/69- Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA
06/05/70- Fillmore West - San Francisco, CA
06/05/80- Compton Terrace Amphitheater - Tempe, AZ

In the spirit of this prediction, I suggest 6/5/80 be the next pick of the day.

Thanks Bolo

edit: Still working on Baltimore 73 the sister show to the Spectrum 73 Dave's Pick. Made it through the first set.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

You're flying a little too close to the sun. Some things of a cryptic nature are best left alone.

Please pardon my absence as I've been involved in some pretty heavy backroom negotiations for the upcoming election. No, not that one - the election on June 28.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Baltimore! What a show Jim.
Really good recording. First set is sort of the standard for March 73. The El Paso, China Rider stood out to me with Jerry's guitar work and then the Playing to close the first set. Really good.
Second set is a monster. The He's Gone Truckin, WRS prelude which had a great Jerry Jam, into Eyes is so good. Very relaxing. Oh and finish it up with a Morning Dew and OMSN.
Loved it. Good call Jim.

This show should be released at some point you would think.

Any news on this year's Box Set Bolo?

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Spring 73 has to be on their radar. If they can fit it on three discs all the better. I always liked Philly and Baltimore about the same so one would think it's on the release radar.

So how about 6/5/80 next? I had never listened to it before and it's got a surprise or two. Plus it's mere mention got me in trouble with Bolo (again). Clearly there's something hidden in the music that the Mullah's do not want us to enjoy.

Edit: Looks like there's only a soundboard for the second set. Surprise arrangement for the China Rider opener. There is a special place for shows where both sets do not exist, I have to think there's release potential for some or most of these.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

6/5/80 it is. Will get this one going later today. Thanks for keeping it going Jim.

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by DeadVikes

Fudge, just got Hey Nowed on a long post…Murphy’s law?

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by DeadVikes

Private Spacley checking in from the wild lands of weird!
Baltimore 73, fo sure, yet another awesome 73 sequence, and a second set Candyman too! Always dig HCS!
One could most def argue for a spring box, but I still think the first six shows of the year are the hidden jewel…summer, meh, has big hype shows, but imho the music isn’t as good as the rest of the year, good but…and the fall/winter, sigh…Top Shelf where mama hides the cookies! Or RJ

I’ve hit 6/5/80 also on my quest, or fools errand? Lol. I definitely dug it, but perhaps a half step behind the previous from the land of Vikings and Deadvikes !

But, I’m here more to cannonball into the middle of your nice enjoyable flow to report from the wild weird west and Wonderland too.
Apologies for my side show Bob shit show side trips, but hey, maybe there’s some freak out there who’ll get something outta my frontier adventures?

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by JimInMD

So half way through the year, which I’ve been focusing on shows I haven’t heard from,
Primary: 84 and 94, and
Secondary: 69, 79, and 89

So 69 I’m up to November (all the SBs, not many AUDs), 79 I’ve hit all but 1 or 2?, and 89 I’ve only December left, but I need to revisit August in sequence.
Summer 94 has been a very pleasant surprise! I’m finding the dreaded later years aren’t so bad removed from set and setting situations etc of seeing shows then, as well as being able to finally get better aquatinted with the newer material, which doesn’t bother me near as much, though that chorus on Long Way Home will probably always be annoying lol. Also, three decades has allowed me to catch up with the “industrial” sound lol.
Though I wouldn’t say anything really was RJ, the consistency etc was much better than I expected. I should mention, I’ve done summer tour complete and just a few miscellaneous, including finally hitting the very fine Boxilla show on 10/1. From what I’ve heard so far I think Dave went to the right house for this one, though the Palace shows, some of Deer Creek, say first or second night of Shoreline, really every stop had at least one show, with most at least decent/good. Only recall third night of Shoreline was sub par with Jer having some vocal flubs. Perhaps the best I heard was from 6/17/94 even though it was an Aud. Think Bluecrow suggested this back aways?
Awesome rave spaces throughout!
So if your not a feared and have an open mind, I think there’s some enjoyable shows. They make a great palate cleanse, especially when/if gettin burned out on certain songs etc! And, though the occasional mellowness would of turned me off BITD, now in my sixties, gulp, I find these a nice alternative similar in that sense to 76.

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by Oroborous

1984: I’ve made up to Summer tour, which starting on I’m on today, starting with my 40th anniversary of my first time seeing the boys in a foreign country lol.
Really, in those pre 911 days, for us locals it was more like going to the next county, or state. 6/21/84, complete with THE Band opening, Wavy Gravy, and Kesey was a blast and definitely a good show, but not RJ.
So my buddy Tree drove us in his lil Bug and we both dropped at the exact international point on the bridge
(hey if they gave us one of the occasional quick search’s we had nothing in our possession, with plenty of good black hash etc at the show, and we’d be back on the road before things started getting weird)
so a few hours later, by the time we got there things were definitely getting interesting! I always mix this one up with 87 as our mo etc was very similar.
But for those who don’t know, the venue was within Canadas Wonderland amusement park. So having to enter in the middle of FAMILIES!!!, ya know, normal people and children! And, all while being in the middle of what seemed like we were in the middle of the real life Flintstones as everything seemed like some kind of Disney land plastic stone prehistoric village lol. I distinctly recall LMAO after getting in and over the fear, thinking, I’m in a Flintstones episode lol. Hey, the fear was real man ; )
I’m Onto 6/23 as I type, betting Jim was there? Started out kinda ruff but creeping into it, it’s picking up nicely.
Won’t rehash all of 84 as I’ve previously posted, except just to say similar better overall than expected, with plenty of good ones in April, and the Rocks, especially 6/13, perhaps one of the years best?
Ok, going native again, sorry for the intrusion, hopefully somebody gets something outta it lol.
ONWARD! And back to your regularly scheduled POTD!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Not a very memorable show, I liked the 83 show there a little better. Chill venue though.. we had a good time. I think between the bunch of us we could not put the setlist together after the show. Perhaps this shows our state of mind...

Merriweather was a few days away and they were much better shows which unfortunately let this one slip from memory into the ravages of time.

user picture

Member for

16 years

Morning, rockers!!

For anybody interested in such things, a "new & improved" copy of May 31, 1969 just hit general circulation, courtesy of the kind folks at the GEMS network. Definitely worth a listen and thank you very much!!!

Some people never go crazy, what truly horrible lives they must live.....

Rock on!

Doc
Out of my mind, back in five minutes............

Was there,,,, mostly I remember the bridge you had to walk across. My records show we thought Black Peter was the hit of the day. Playing Eyes right now,,, not a bad recording,,,, but a FAST Eyes.

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by Dennis

Looks like a cool venue.
Didn’t get the best listen of 84, but Felt like it was a creeper and really liked the space with that 100’ tall bullfrog of Jers, from then out was good. I agree Jim, like 83 better. Always been a favorite since it was one of the best sounding tapes I ever had. Buddy found new awesome tape source, but then just as suddenly lost it, as my buddy knocked up his boss at the worm farms daughter and after the (white wedding) ,no more soup for him as they were ultra religious lol. Still kicking myself for not getting the sources number!
Best it gets better, they hired us to play at the wedding reception.
So clueless freaks we were, we bring all our McIntosh amps, JBL speakers, racks of gear etc (basically same stage gear as the boys at the time) to this little fire hall. Of course we dressed up; I had my best pocket tee shirt, Levi corduroys and desert boots on lol.
So late, and high like usual, we set up and prep and the shrooms are kicking in and we finally get on stage and tune up and 1,2, 3, and turn around and step to the mic and HOW SWEET IT IS TO BE LOVED BY YOU, (figured good wedding opener) and as I finally start to realize the reality of the situation were in as I stare at the mostly old, conservative, suit wearing crowd, now glaring back at us lol, well, it was definitely an interesting evening to say the least lol.
Just glad I didn’t get the fear onstage!
But it gets better. Somehow, music for the trad dances etc was never contemplated by anyone, hey we were hippie musicians not wedding planners lol. So during set break we panicked and somehow somebody got a tape deck that we integrated into the PA and the drummer found an Eagles tape in his car.
So we think, Peaceful Easy feelings a nice song, that’ll work for the new couple to dance to. (Can’t remember what the father daughter dance was).
So eventually things had mellowed a bit as the civilians loosened up a little and we figured out where we actually were and tried to adjust accordingly lol, and so the dances are going well and then eventually the new couple starts swaying to the mellow vibes of Peaceful Easy Felling as the crowd all smiles looks on, and then…ooops, the line “I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight”…Doahhh Right back in the dog house with the old conservative church crowd once again staring daggers at us, like “yeah ya stupid freaks, that’s what got us here in the first place”!

For sure one of the weirdest gigs ever, and the last we ever saw of old Druggels again, poor bastard: no more fun, no more Dead especially or rock and roll at all, prolly still working at the worm farm!
How we used to race around and be in all these crazy situations while tripping amazes me all these years later? Guess practice makes perfect lol.

5/31/69, good sheet, really enjoyed that one, will have to check out the upgrade.
But first I’m onto Toga!
Onward!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

There has to be a VHS of that wedding party somewhere, I want to see it.

If it does surface, Oro, this could seriously jeopardize your career in politics.

Truth be known, nobody strives to become a worm farmer. Most just marry into it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

And Jim and DMC, bada-bing!
Very funny stuff you guys.
Keep bringing the good stuff now that the HN police are easing up some.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 months 3 weeks

...yeah, 2 hour drive to harrisburg listening to the newly taped FM broadcast of WONDERLAND of CANADA show and ready for a great afternoon in the sun, several friends (3 car loads) would plan to meet, one car "alabama toot-away", one car packed with coolers of cold beer, another car "up in smoke". walking through the city enroute to the bridge to take us into the middle of the river, hey look over there at that guy passed out under the tree, damn he sure does look like our friend Chumpweed...keep walking, he would never miss Garcia by over indulging in the early afternoon. Next day, everyone safely back in town and meeting up at a friend's apartment to rap about the show...hey Chumpweed, what did you think of the show? ah, man I passed out under a tree and missed the whole show.....

I remember most the opener: toot-away, a fun tmns to end 1st set, eyes, black peter, gdtrfb; and yeah it was a speedy GOGD event, and most unique venue to have seen the band.

user picture

Member for

16 years

Morning rockers!!!

Can it really be 40 years ago that we stood in the rain at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and enjoyed a fun Dead show, rain and all?!! Got drenched on the motorcycle ride down from Canada, but we kept our doses dry. Those were the days!!!

Decent soundboards are out there, worth a listen.......

We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.....

Rock on,

Doc
One must always maintain one's connection to the past and yet ceaselessly pull away from it.......

So why not.. SPAC 84 virgin listen.

They played the beginning of the City Island show the day before on Today in GD History. I think I have one cursory listen a couple decades ago when I discovered Archive.Org. Jerry's voice is a big haggard on a few songs (thinking Peggy-O for example), which seems to continue on through to SPAC.

SPAC is one of my many GD regrets. I never made it there and could have. I am particularly fond of the 85 show. Now which one of you was dangling from the balcony that night? never mind.. you'll never admit it, but you know who you are.

Got a medium size hornets nest in my attic that needs to go before while summer is young. I think my attic fan is shot too. The exterminator is charging too damned much so I am going to brave this adventure tonight. Wish me luck (balanced with how much could it really hurt anway).

What should I play for the dancing bees 🐝 to give me an edge? A good meltdown space, a rockin' Fire in the attic or Dancing in the Hive?

Edit: Jerry's a little rough or Dire Wolf but recovered nicely by the time the Candayman came around. Similar to the rough start the night before but improving, apparently, as the night progressed.

Edit 2: Finished this while cleaning the house. They did pick up steam as the night progressed. Vocals notwithstanding, a high energy Bertha helped pull things together, the highlight for me being the PITB>China Doll. The Other One was typical for the era but good, a soulful Wharf Rat reigned them back to the finish line with a well paired double encore that would a smile on anyone's face as they walked through gates realizing they have no idea where they left their car (or bike).. but who really cares anyway.

Nice tales from the Road Doc. Creates a little visual and context for the listen.

user picture

Member for

16 years

Hey hey hey................

As a certain Mr Pen used to say, "Baby I ain't no balcony hanger!"..........

The 1985 SPAC show was the only Dead show I ever attended solo. Beautiful day, rode out on the bike, camped out on the lawn, had some green leafy material, just enjoyed the heck out of the whole experience!

Early the next morning set out for Hershey. Got soaked on the way, but hey, when you're on a bike and you get soaked, you can't get any wetter. My best friend and my brother---both bikers---were supposed to ride down and met me there and we'd ride back together. LOL they chickened out. It rained, but we kept the blow dry. Another enjoyable and noteworthy experience..........

Rode back solo the next day, those were the days!

Rock on!!!

Doc, paperwork day!
Youth has no age.....

Hey Jim, no question, play Airto Moreira and the Gods of Jazz recordings Killer Bees, or Revenge of the Killer Bees. Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Stanley Clarke early fusion, like Weather Report but different, very interesting, under the radar stuff. For treatment, instead of toxic spray, Dr. Bronners peppermint castille in cool water, soak that nest from safe distance with a hose end sprayer on a cold morning . Bees, wasps etc hate peppermint and soap being surfactant, gets under their exoskeletal shells. Once the nest is soaked a time or two, they will abandon.

Doc you were there? I normally don't spend time feeling envious, but this is one of those shows where I sure wish I coulda been there. After all these years it is still a show I'll listen to any day, any time. There's something for everyone: Weir was absolutely on, Healy with his bag of tricks, Phil on mad bombing runs (and that Tom Thumb's!!), drummers on point all night long, Brent so colorful and out in front (and just a demon on the organ), and I run out of superlatives to talk about Garcia's performance this day.

Really,
Unless you were there, you’ll never fully grasp this show. (Toga 84)
One of our best GD experiences, right up there with Oxford 88!
In a word: ELECTRIC! The weather, crowd, vibe, cannot KNOW this show without all that.
The Dancin in the Streets is pretty much the theme song for this show.
Started the day before and didn’t stop until the next day.
(I’ll share some more stories separately)
Yeah the vocals are ragged on Dancin, but have been on every show opener on this tour so far. Dire Wolf has a little cocaine gargle but it’s not that bad?
Minglewood is off the fuggin charts! Seriously, (besides Bobs slide solo going on to long and the unfortunate mandatory screaming badger being tortured noise) it’s a monster! And from there things just keeps on growing.
Wonderland was good, but polite, which makes sense considering national radio coverage in two countries along with very pricey tickets (Seva Benefit).
City Isle started out ruff, but creeped to where I felt the Drumz onward was good, but,…, but Toga…Insane!
I’m sure the environment/vibe/energy or what not was so intense the band would have felt it, probably before arrival lol
And they sure seemed to rise to it: going hard for it and having just as much fun as us, well, almost lol. Not only could you feel it, you could see they were way into it!
I think the only critique I can make about this show was, too much energy. They were so jacked up on the vibe (on top of everything else; ) that at times I think over enthusiasm led to not always being just exactly perfect. Hard to describe, they generally played well, just not so perfect, if that makes sense?
I’m onto Blossom currently, the third show we hit that summer, and so far it’s ok, but..kinda laid back after the opening volley of tour ragers.
Oh, yeah, Merriweather I rehashed and they’re similar: start out ragged, but look out, the rocket lifts off and burns baby burns. Again, hot but excess sometimes perhaps leads to occasional less than perfect moments, but good shows if not RJ. Summer tour 84,
Onward!

Can’t imagine those shows on a bike. The rain was what helped make both those shows so fun, but in 85 by the next day we’d had enough, (even before Hershey lol) and we weren’t on bikes! But hey, the adversity usually helped make good shows great!

Edit: added my story to the 6/24/84 show page if anyones interested.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

2/23/93 - Mardi Gras with Ornette Coleman. Our group of friends had a float in the parade (kind of a long story). Our "Acme Krewe" was listed at the bottom of the poster for that show.

As usual, I will categorically deny posting here today.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

Good to see you.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

A bit of synchronicity. I recently re-read Vonnegut's "Sirens Of Titan" and did some googling to see if anyone was still pursuing bringing it to the silver screen. What should pop up but your interview with Garcia in 1987 discussing that very topic!

By the way, I certainly enjoyed meeting you a few years back in San Jose. Hope all is well with you.

"Shall we go, you and I while we can, through the chrono-synclastic infundibulum?"

user picture

Member for

16 years

Morning, rockers!!

You can probably imagine what I listened to on my morning commute...........

Can it really be 50 years since we had our minds blown at the Providence Civic Center???!!!

It was my high school graduation present from my brother. He & his best friend took me & my best friend (that was his first show, can you imagine that?!!). Cosmic music, killer sound system, clean 25, sign us up, we're on the bus!! For life!!!

The nice surprise Big River show opener, the way cool, very bouncy, jammy, stand alone Scarlet Begonias, yes The Race Is On, fine Half Step, we Let It Grow, second surprise US Blues to open set two, tremendous China/Rider, great Truckin', fine Other One big jam, a touch of the Spanish theme, and of course the major major surprise, once-in-a-lifetime Eyes Of The World encore. A night to remember, and yes I do!!!

Best show I ever saw. We wouldn't see another of this kind for ten years, but that's a story for October. You know what I mean............

There is not one big cosmic meaning for all, there is only the meaning we each give to our life, an individual meaning, an individual plot, like an individual novel, a book for each person........

Rock on,

Doc
Shine like the day I set cosmic eyes on you, friend, by the light of the sweet squash in my lovely laser broom.....

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by bolo24

Very good recording of a nice late era show. The highlight for me was Space>The Other One with Ornette but all in all the show is balanced, clean and well played.

As for 6/26/74, all I can say is more. More 74. I'm hitting that now as I do a little yardwork on the lazy river road I live on. Cleaning the house is next. It takes a good, jazzy 1974 classic to get through housework without becoming grumplestilkskin. And the house is a little trashed so make it a good, long show and tomorrow will be a brighter day.

Clean 25 and a show like that. Certainly a pivotal moment in time for those involved.

Yeah, that was a time, back at the academic fest, and it was great to meet you too. And in any case, glad to see you back here.