• 8,062 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven
    Don't let schooling interfere with your education…….

Good morning, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Fillmore West, March 3 1971 (Airwaves Benefit)

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company............

March 1971----little known, little appreciated, lost between the heights of Port Chester and April. Here the Dead kick off the month with a hometown show that is probably never ever on anybody’s playlist………

Admittedly, it’s a bit short, and sounds a bit ragged, but even “average” shows back in the day have something to recommend it. There is a decent amount of grease, including a slunky Hard To Handle, King Bee, and a rare Good Lovin’ encore. Plus some cowboy Bobby and a decent Truckin’/Other One.

While perhaps not sonically the equal of some other early 71s, the 2020 Clugston remaster is very listenable, and worthy………….

Repartee is something we think of twenty-four hours too late……

Rock on!!

Doc
    When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not……

• bluecrow

Great show, glad you're on it. first posted about it maybe year and a half ago and have come back to it at least a couple times on my own. Miracle > He's Gone > Other One > drumz is off the hook. '78 on the brain, it's been known to happen. Glad to revisit.

Was listening to 2/24/74 through Disc 2 yesterday/this morning. Just incredible sound and playing, same the night before. What a treat to have both of those shows released..

• Oroborous

Hit this up yesterday. Interesting show. Unfortunately suffers occasionally from the usual primal idiosyncrasies, but otherwise a fine show. Really enjoyed the unusual? set lists and the flow between songs. Loved the LL split into beginning and end. Wonder if they did that elsewhere?

Going with Greek 83 next couple daze. Maybe I’ll hit some 78 this WE. I don’t have 11/18 on my todo list but not home so can’t check Db, but it doesn’t sound familiar? I’ll follow up…

• DeadVikes

Hey Bluecrow, not sure if we ever listened to this show from the Uptown Theater in Chicago, 11/18/78?
    I have it going now, sounding good so far. I still have 78 on my brain.

• rockthing

Oh, my. My 1973 homework is cut out for me. A(nother) very weak period for me.

What can I listen to immediately?*

I can cue up 2/28, 3/24 (Oh yeah, that's a good one! Looks like I snagged a Betty reel before the dark times)... Heart marks from He's Gone all the way through Sing Me Back Home. Another in the first set for Playin', and 5 stars for the Loser that precedes it. Nothing else is marked, but a first set Stella Blue? Sure!

Getting into summer/fall, 7/28, 7/31, 8/1, 9/8, 9/17, or 12/4 and I actually have Dicks Picks Vol. 1, for a change. lol :-)
    Some of those I really haven't listened to much. Roosevelt Stadium seems to have had some mojo, but I think I only listened to Jerry's birthday show for the first time last year, and then probably only once.

*Btw, my Internet was down for 24hrs yesterday. First there was electrical work being done on the building, so no power from 9 to 5! Then, they managed to screw up the phone lines and couldn't get it fixed until well after 9am this morning. So glad I don't depend on Spotify! lol... or streaming from the Archive ;-)

I had a taste of that mind bending Playin > Wharf Rat > Playin' from 6/8/74 last Sunday, which must be somewhere in the ballpark of the 73 scene we're about to get into. I can't even remember when that had been Pick of the Day.

Sorry, my listening notes are now way out of sequence as I'm trying to keep pace.

In the meantime I have been thoroughly obsessed with the 2/22/69 Dreambowl. That was a fantastic pic.
    It's almost been on repeat. Someone needs to make a meme with the (apparently) famous guy on TV getting more and more blown away in each picture. Cool. early '69 show... An acoustic set! ...Mountains of the Moon, too... Mountains of the Moon sequeing into an interplanetary Darks Star... back to back with The Other One!!!!! Mind blown.

Whole show is excellent. Many many thanks for the "liberating" experience, too.

Also, RE QC at Deadville... I discovered last year that nugs net has 16b441 downloads of a ton of official albums, some not even available for download here. Shipping kills me, so even though I love physical media, I go for data. Anyway, even some of the downloads have had some dodgy editing or sonic anomalies. I gave nugs a FYI, but they said that's how the data comes and they aren't cleared to mess with it.

I had the 11/30/80 Fox Theater 2nd set in my music player while I was out yesterday. Lovely, lovely Ship of Fools. Brilliant Playin' into drums into, not quite space, it almost sounds pre-composed, but I kept hearing these Uncle John's Band hints, then it ended up being The Wheel and for a while I thought I was losing my mind, but then they finally get to UJB to close the show. Although I was listening while mainly focussed on work, there were a few points were I wondered if someone ought to make a loud noise because it seemed as if the band was about to doze off. Super mellow mood, which has its merits. Not knockin' a laid back show.

The real revalation, though, was the 2/19/71 recommendation, which I finally listened through last night.

2/18 will always be like a favorite sweater or comfort food. However, I can see why you might say the19th is stronger. The 18th is definitely a bit tentative by comparison, what with all of the new songs and Mickey leaving the band, it would be. Although the first part of the 19th didn't really jump out at me, possibly, psychologically, I could have been a bit standoff-ish knowing this show was challenging one of the most nostalgic tapes from my meagre old collection. However, right away it struck me how different the feeling of the new tunes were even though they had only debuted the night before.

By the time they hit China/Rider on the 19th, though, they seem full of confidence and it sounds like they have found their feet with the new/old lineup. This tune is grooving hard.

The main thing that struck me about this show was how much it is a Pigpen showcase. Pig is always on it, but the band is rockin' hard behind him on every number from the gritty It Hurts Me Too, to Good Lovin', and beyond. This may be the heaviest Easy Wind I've ever heard. It may be the somewhat gnarly sound quality of the Vadnais transferred audience reel that really adds a welcome taste of foreboding evil to all of Pigs tunes. Probably it's the comparatively sparse arrangements that allow the listener to take a quick breath and really find themselves inside the song. I don't know. Caveat: I did tweak the EQ a bit, but the jury is still out about whether my adjustments improved the sound or not. lol.

Anyway, just wanted to get out that note about how f'n heavy the Pig tunes are on 2/19. Really felt it.

Thanks again, everyone!

• bluecrow

it had been a long time since I'd spun 2/22/69 from 30 trips. everything you'd expect from a show from that time. really enjoyed it and will revisit fairly soon as is my want with shows that tickle my fancy. thanks Doc! on a side note, the one technical difficulty with that listen is that there is something about those discs that my external disc drive (LG M-Disc) really didn't care for. at one point it flat out quit reading Disc 1, something I've never had happen, and while it didn't quit during Disc 2, at several points towards the end it made noises that I've never heard from it before that seemed like the electronic equivalent of an old man wheezing up a hill who was barely going to make it (or maybe not!) this isn't disc rot, its something in how the discs were manufactured i'm guessing. from time to time I've had various weird issues with playability of discs from the GD folks that I've never experienced with any other CDs I've bought. it's very odd. And on the QC issue, I recently pulled out a disc from the Giants box to play it for the first time and there was a big splotch of an opaque light gray liquid on the playing surface, sorta looked like white out except for the gray color. i have never seen anything like it CD-wise and i haven't the faintest idea what the hell it could be or how it could have gotten there. I have a CS request in with Dr. Rhino -we'll see what happens.

DV - 4/24/78 (DaP 7) was a show that had never really resonated with me - not when it was first issued, and not on subsequent revisits. And I've really gotten into the other released shows from that tour, Nashville and William and Mary. Well, finally got my head properly calibrated and my ears on straight and had an excellent listen. And then I spun it again. Full speed ahead Spring '78 Jerry and the Wolf with that excellent Betty sound. Thank you for suggesting that one.

Now on maybe my third run through past few days of 2/23/74 (DaP 42). It sounds freaking fantastic! All of it! Blowing my mind! Nothing left to do but smile smile smile!! (Yeah I'm really digging it.) Still haven't cued up the next night, cause I keep getting distracted by all the other good stuff. Maybe tomorrow.

Gonna have to visit those shows from late February, that one from Austin and Doc's most recent POTD from the Family Dog.

Take care folks. And great to hear from you Rocktihng!. Rock on!!

• Oroborous

I’ve enjoyed them all so far DV, but maybe it’s me, some seem to sorta plod for a awhile before they pick up steam in the second set. Recordings were inconsistent too…but?…maybe it was me, as Jim just said so we’ll, sometimes set and setting can have as much influence as the music itself! I actually got to sit a relax and listen to most, a couple I had on while doing household stuff, but I don’t think thats it?
    I’ve always been a huge fan of fall/winter 73, one of my personal top tours, and I purposefully haven’t dug into summer 73 too much as you’d think we’d get some of those sooner than later, but until I got the spring 73 Dave’s, I knew nothing about that tour. 21 With 21, I was a tad nonplused at first, probably just hung up on no Dark Star or other head noise nonsense, but it’s grown on me a lot since. That whole jam sequence is superb, and I’ll take a HCSS anytime!
    16 is one of my favorite Dave’s, so much so I purchased a copy off the black market! 32s good, actually need to listen to that as I’m not as familiar as I should be. I haven’t gotten to Crotchfester or Bu faf a lo yet…
    Every show has a nice big jam sequence, many killer 73 Eyes, a couple ridiculous PITB, some good HCSS, and the Dark Stars and accompanying jams etc, so worth it even just to check those out. Sorry to be so vague but it’s all kinda a blur. As I say, all very similar: relaxed with mostly good playing, until the big jam goes through the roof, rinse and repeat…lol.
    So far, I think the February shows are a bit more to my liking?

Spring 78: of the dozen and a half or so on this tour, I think I’ve hit 10 so far. Some of the Beatty’s are spectacular and this tour took me by surprise. Getting the big blown away surprise of 4/15 (DaP 37) opened up that flood gate as the only official release I have is 37. I had no clue about this tour before, so yeah, big surprise!
    Hoping Realgone spits out Dicks 18 and that I can get disc copies of the other 2 Dave’s as long/short I don’t do files…actually might try to get 15 off the black market as sometimes those aren’t too outrageously expensive. Didn’t get subs until 21, but since I have a few others, thinking someday I’ll try to get real copies of the few missing so I’ll have 13 onward, with hopefully copies of the rest. I have at least copies of all but 5.
    I still think, partly due to the fine Beatty’s that there’s a potential for a spring 78 box, but maybe not enough interest for that?
    Awright, gotta head to the mine, staycation is over for now : (

• Forensicdoceleven
    I know nothing, except the fact of my ignorance…..

Hello, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Family Dog At The Great Highway, February 28, 1970

As a matter of self-preservation, a man needs good friends or ardent enemies, for the former instruct him and the latter take him to task……

In November, we were teased with the Little Sadie and Black Peter, so we know that an excellent recording is in the vault. As far as early 1970 goes, the “big guns” of the Fillmores get most of the love, respect, and recognition, but this Family Dog run has some doggone good music!

Call it a Lovelight sandwich, a grateful buffet with something for almost everybody. Electric/acoustic, grease, jams, old and new, all laid out as if on a platter. Dig in and enjoy!!!

Those who have virtue always in their mouths, and neglect it in practice, are like a harp, which emits a sound pleasing to others, while itself is insensible of the music…..

Rock on!

Doc
    Most men are within a finger's breadth of being mad…..

• JimInMD

mmmm..... I might have to compare and contrast. It went down in my ever changing mind that Normal was, well it has that Scarlet Fire & Terrapin into drumz.. but Nashville had a crisper sound and better separation between the instruments, plus a really good Peggy-O and Estimated Eyes. Both shows have a good Lovin', but full disclosure the Bobby GL's never did it for me, too formulaic and his rants did not come across as genuine as Pigs. So a little hotter v better sound. But don't consider this an analysis, my listens tend to be more influenced by focus and frankly my mood and receptiveness.

I did both all 73 shows consecutively years ago and '78 through May.. but I am always doing stuff so I don't have the rabbit ears of OB and Rock Thing; their attention to detail is most appreciated and enjoyable to take in. Plus.. I'd gladly pay the price of an IMax theatre experience to listen to a show in casa Oroborous just to take in his personal, home edition Wall of Sound. I forked out big bucks 20 years ago for my system but it pales in comparison.

As for March '73, I walked away big on Philly and Baltimore but Boston Garden did not register and in hindsight it's hot, hot, hot. When I weigh on a show, it's an opinion at a point of time that can be bribed by party favors and mood for the day. A mortal flaw.. first world problems.

So I am to revisit 4/78. I think I need to work a little less and live a little more. I pulled down the new 2/17/73, that's on my list. I'd like to take in some Fall and Winter '73. A compare and contrast of the last two shows of the year perhaps.. Did Dick pick the right show for DiP1? Inquiring ears want to know.

I'd like to contribute more.. but it's been a challenging year full of distractions. Summer is coming, so there's that.

• DeadVikes

You don't have #7 OB? We need to change that, I think you would really like this show.

I will definitely go back and listen to #37 again. I know I had it up within the last couple of months.

I did listen to #15 from Nashville over the weekend and I don't think Bob was happy with the first set, "That's it, we quit" Good show and the sound quality is as good as #7. Nice Estimated Eyes and Wharf Rat.

Do you have any recommendations from your recent tour of March 73?

I mean, this is a hot period. What a tour this is. More from this tour would be welcomed.

Slow day on the site.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

4 years 9 months

I would choose 6/2/95 Shoreline, I was there in the 2nd row and I had a blast!

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thank goodness.

So I turned back the odometer a year and a few days from 11/22/72 and currently on RT Vol.3, No. 2. Austin 11/15/71 Disc 1. Been awhile since I've walked this neighborhood. At first I think Phil's bass is in fact a bit low in mix and distorted for that era but right now in Casey Jones and everyone's happy here.

7/19/74. 3/26/72. How about both?

On the road yesterday and was listening to DaP 8 - 11/30/80 Fox Theatre Atlanta. Wow that is a sweet show and release. Wish they'd revisit the matrix concept for some of that early '80s material.

All 3 shows in Seattle '95 were really good and lots o' fun. Same for the 2 in '94. Out there in the Northwest I feel like we were a bit removed from some of the decline. To this day I have the what ifs over fact they sound checked Tough Mama prior to 5/24 and Whisky in the Jar(!!) prior to that or another show in same run (don't see that one uploaded on relisten.) But yeah they played excellent Want to Tell > Estimated that 1st night (I was on the rail) and D/S>Wheel night 2 was flat out amazeballs.

Onward!

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Went with 4-2, old CD-R and it sounds nice. Love the sound of lightning bolt.
A good Drums/Space for those who enjoy those.
I went to both nights, it was a good time in the Pyramid.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

thanks DV - really enjoyed getting reacquainted with this RT. Disc 2 in particular had been lost in the ether. Jam out of Not Fade Away has that raw Caution energy that showed up next year in Europe.

bonus disc from 11/14 Ft.Worth later this morning. that's been like forever.

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

You lucky dog, those Memphis Pyramid shows were off the hook. I listen to them from time to time, best of that spring run IMO.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Right on Bluecrow.

I have had to go back and pick up some of the RT Trips that I missed in the past and this one definitely shined for me.

So much great music out there, keep it coming.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

BlueCrow 5/26/95 is a really sweet show. Dug that, wouldn't mind giving the rest of that run a listen, but sounds like the Sunday show was the highest.
Now ConeKidd talking 4/2/95.
I'm stuck in the mid 90s :)

Actually was able to check out a majority of 7/19/74. Wow!
Don't think I noticed the patch in Let It Grow @ 10:15-11:17 sounded like it needs a lil pitch correction?
But.. what a show.
Thanks for suggesting it DV.

Gonna try and head over to Texas '71 today and see what I been missing.
And then I believe 3/26/72 was a mention as well.

We'll see where the day takes me. But dug the '74 trip.
Of note: Taper's Compendium lists shows to get from '74 as 2/24, 3/23, 6/16, 6/18, 6/23, 6/26, 6/28, 7/19, 9/10, 9/11, 9/20, 10/16, 10/18, 10/19 and between, Dick's, Dave's, Road Trips & GD Movie Sndtrck each of these shows has seen some type of release with the exception of 9/20.
Might have to dust that one off soon.

Good stuff!

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by The Good Ole G…

Just some parts of it.

I followed 4-2 with 4-1, which has a Take Me To The River (Pyramid Arena sits on the bank of the Mississippi).
Those were the only shows I saw in spring 95 and they were pretty good.
Give them a play if you have never heard them.

And if you have never heard 3-23-95 give it a play. Has Ole Brucy sitting in and is mighty fine.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I just finished listening to the complete 1972 Academy of Music seven shows. (Was at 3) . Had never even heard most of the tapes. I own the Dicks Picks 30 CD plus the Dave’s Picks 14. Do not have the Rockin the Rhein bonus disk with Dark Star. It was quite a journey of seven shows seven days in a row. 3/22/72 has Caution and 3/23/72 has a 23 minute Dark Star.
Also listened to 50th Anniversary of 3/14/71 today. Short but sweet. Organ strong in the mix. Also hollow sound of the Camp Randall Field House. Different sound from Capitol Theater to Fillmore West to Wisconsin, same five musicians. Also progression with new songs and five piece.
So far have listened to all the 1971 GD available on relisten on the 50ths . Real phun.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Haven't listened to this in at least a couple of years. #830, one of the first with a lower number, not that it matters.
Thanks for checking it out all.

I love the picture of the boys and the Wall on the back of the liner notes, so cool!
Just can't imagine what it would have been like to see them with the Wall of Sound. And some of you lucky people did and are still here to talk about it.

This show is solid, not the best 74 show released to date, but good. I really like the He's Gone into US Blues, WRS, Spanish Jam into Eyes and a good finish. I can not hear that patch in Let is Grow, GOGD, but my ears sometimes don't pick those up.

Dave's #38, coming up around the corner.

Everybody hang loose.

Pretty cool Strider, March 72, that must have been fun.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

The Other One

Smokes!

Dug it / Dig it

Happy Birthday Phil!

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

5 smoking craters :)

that whole 11/14 bonus disc is excellent. weekend listen totally reset my appreciation for RT 3.2.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Two Fer it is Jim.
Download Series 6 and Dick's 13. 68 and 81. Thanks guys and Happy St. Patrick's Day.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Time to get green eh? Cough, cough....

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Alright OB... I might have to get my green on for St. Pat's.

Part 1 of Two-fer done.

Cool stuff!

Think it'd be cool if we got a seaside chat tomorrow?

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Crazy Night!

3/31/86 is groovy.

Dug the Caution Jam on DiP V13, bet that Severson version is fun too!
I should prob check that out.

GOGD - I went with the Severson because it was taped from the penalty box, but went back to sample some of the others and think Wise source is better.

PF - rarely wander into '86 but yeah 3/31 looks fun and if you say so :)

(crowd chanting) - Seaside chat!! Seaside chat!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Thanks for the Jim Wise recommendation, I'll try and give that a spin.
3/31/86 is a great/fun show, had that tape BITD, that Hand Jive is my favorite and the jam after GDTRFB is epic.
Def worth a visit and good call PF, I enjoyed that!
And I don't know guys, I might like 5/8/81 better.
Slid on that PITB and it rips from there, great Stella Blue too.
Might have to go through that whole show. May '81 & March '86
Good times & good picks today, good day of the green :)

Seaside Chat! Seaside Chat!

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

3/17/68 delivered. Short but packed with lysergic energy. Got the first set of 5/6 under my belt. Time to turn the lights down and get down to it.

Seriously.. I had forgotten how off the hook 3/17/68 was. We need more 1968.. if Lemieux keeps stonewalling us I am storming the vault. Who's with me?

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Kudos to you Jim for the great pick for today, Dick's Picks #13. And of course your recall of the Irishman at the start of He's Gone. Pretty powerful. They didn't do many dedications throughout their career.
And this release always delivers. And the hidden Scarlet Fire is not too shabby either. Okay, as an American Irishman, better crack my first beer and I loved the Irish jokes on the other thread.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....give me a trebuchet and a lighter and let me do what I do.
I didn't listen to the GD today.
edit.....but I still have time.

Now we're talking. To ensure the right message on cable news, we will need a few thousand volunteers too.. equipped with pitchforks, torches and "Free The Reels" t-shirts and baseball caps.

Who thinks we'll get a Seaside Chat today?!?!

If not today, than maybe next week.

5/6/81 is far out.
It's eluded me on many listens.
Don't get me wrong, love May '81.
And I always liked the jam, but was scratching my head a bit on why this got the nod for release.
I'd listen and shrug, and go and read the Taper's Compendium and reviews and everybody loves it, so I'd think that it was just me being a weirdo.

However, when I went back and listened to the Jim Wise audience recording yesterday, I was totally getting it.
Now, it coulda been the headspace of later in the day vs first thing in the day.
But, this is kind of a first for me, which is why I'm writing about it, cause you know, you listen to a band for 35 years and you still have firsts... that's exciting!

I've read many reviews of people saying they dug the audience recording more because something was missing for them from the SBD.
Being a SBD snob, I kinda dismissed this as nonsense.
But this show might just change my mind.
That all being said, listening to the SBD with a new appreciation and still love that jam after He's Gone.
Good pick!

PS - If you missed 3/31/86 yesterday... Do it!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Hey, have you ever listened to the official release?

I don't think we will hear anything on the box for a while. Maybe not until May. Hope I am wrong.

Looking back a couple of years for 2019, the Giants Stadium Box was announced on August 1, 2019 and the PNW Box was slated to be announced on August 1, 2018, but it somehow leaked before the announcement.

Do you think we will get a Meet Up At The Movies this year?

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

DeadVikes - Mos Def!
That's kinda what I was talking about, I'd listen to the official release and be like.. ok.
But I think I'm feeling the magic even more after visiting that Jim Wise audience.

Just rambling, but I liked this show before, but I think I like it more now.

And in regards to the Seaside Chat, DL posted a picture of an Eagle that he spotted the other day while he was "recording a seaside chat" so I'm thinking we might hear something soon... guess we'll see.

I'm anxious for more GD release news.

user picture

Member for

4 years 9 months

I saw Weir dedicate He's Gone to Len Bias at the Greek in 1986 and I saw Kreutzman dedicate it to Paul Butterfield at Laguna Seca n 1987. Kreutzman had been playing some gigs with Butterfield.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Interesting. Could be the Seaside Chat for #38.

But, hey, bring on the Box. I am ready for sure.

I might have to check out the audience version of 5/6/81, if you think it sounds even better.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yo DVikes, so not sure it's better... (still a SBD snob)
But definitely give the Jim Wise recording of that show a preview.
I didn't listen to the whole thing, but it just has a different life to it.
I've heard people mention that about Audience recordings before, and this is one of those shows that it's really cool to hear the "live" aspects of.
Gives it new life ;)
Plus Jim got a sweet pull that night.
Nassau must've been a hot time that year fo sure!

And Yeah, peeps were telling me it's too early for a Dave's Picks Announcement... so maybe we'll get some Box news :)

Strider - I need to dust off that 3/18/71 at some point

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

give up the box
oh, we need the box
we gotta have that box

my money is WAITING, ptb

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Thinking about a little 4/14/72 for today.
What do you all think?

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Whooo - I love that Tivoli show! Good choice!

I think I might check out 3/19/86 for a bit too. The SQ of the copies I've found are not great (the AUDs are ok, the SBD of Set 1 sounds really muffled to these ears...). However, strong 2nd set, and the first Visions of Johanna (a very sweet one too...)

Also, let's not forget about Winterland 77! An embarrassment of riches!

Have a good one, friends!

Peace

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Playing ketchup...
3/18/71 as we speak,
then circle back for a better taste of 5/6/81 disc 3, then, at some point I’ll hit 4/14/72.
That 81 has really grown on me over the years. Hope real gone puts that out again as I only have a copy and
A) really dig this show, and B) I’m down to missing hard copies of around 8 DiPs, so hope they keep rereleasing em so I can Phil that hole...forgot about the hot S/F! Where’s that from again?
Could use a big 72 DS, but I MUST get outside today!
I’ve been starting to walk outside when I can (the treadmills not the same...) and it’s probably hitting 60 up here and I’ve been slacking, so.....so the 72 might have to be “on deck” until appropriate time is available.
Yeeshk, also have a whole list of groovy 90s ideas from y’all, oh, and that 3/31/86 too, Doooaahh!
If I’m up for it, maybe I’ll see if there’s more spring 86 shows on YouTube as I enjoyed 3/19 last Friday night.
I’ve also got a few shows I marked that I thought looked like possible off the grid shows for a day when we don’t have anything lined up...

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Len Bias.. a fine Terrapin, and a tragedy.

Gotta admit the incident gave me a different outlook on that drug. Weird memories, that hit close to home.

I'm in. What's not to like about this show. 4/17 is awesome too.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Just watched that 3/19/86 on YouTube last week, the video is decent considering, but the Audio was pretty good (at least using Auro 3D?)

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Lotsa Caution this week.
Diggin' it.

4/14/72 you say? Ok.

Another good spring '86 is Set 2 from 3/28/86 for those '86ers out there.

Good times and great oldies!

Happy Friday Freaks :)

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

TGIF

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

A favorite Pig tune. Under the right conditions it simply blows me away, and how about the Phil factor!.. I haven't gotten there yet for 4.14.... tomorrow.

The Caution from 3/17/68 was spectacular. (well, the China Cat>Eleven>Caution to be exact). Shit that hole mini show left a smoking crater.

When I first listened to the E72 box it was the Dark Star Caution sequences that had my tongue unrolling out of my mouth onto the gravel below my feet. Wowwow stuff.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

back ca. '82 got a very hissy nth generation board of Rotterdam from Dark Star through Uncle Johns. The oddest tape, the VU meter was maxed out on one channel, the needle barely moved on the other, yet through the hiss it was still "balanced." Originally it was tough to get past the oddities of the tape to the music itself. One long hot summer night about 2 am I threw it in a half-assed cassette player, put on a cheap pair of headphones, and turned out the lights. hiss? what hiss? total time machine. came out on the other side just completely and utterly gobsmacked. among other "things" that blew my mind was that Caution and Phil with the pile driver bass. OMFG. totally rewrote what little I thought I "knew" about E72. at the time maybe only other circulating Europe show I had was the Radio Luxemburg broadcast.

side note - Phil quotes Bird Song in the drifting aftermath of the Dark Star meltdown. Bird Song was MIA Fall 71 through Europe.

edit - some neurons appear to have been crossed regarding 3/18 and I can't sort it out without a deep dive in my vault which isn't happening anytime soon.

Onward (into the ether)!