• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Wasn’t a huge fan of that stuff, but again, by today’s standards they still rock!Like Ozzy cause he cracks me up; road trip show with Jack, his books etc But if you’ve seen the farewell concert/documentary The End, I think on showtime, they were awesome. It’s a shame touring sucks so much because a lot of these old goats still have it, like Phil!
user picture

Member for

17 years

In fact, there have been a bunch of great docs and concert vids on the Telly the last few years...Sabbath, Clapton; life in 12 bars, Hendrix, Stones rellesead a few, Rush, know I still have a few others on DVR but forget?....and of course the F.T.W. shows, The Dead, and Weirs excellent T.O.O....
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

There was a good one on telly here on Jeff Beck last week. Lots of clips from The Yardbirds up to recent concerts. He is as vital now as he ever was. I haven't bought his latest studio cd, Loud Hailer, but the blu ray Live At The Hollywood Bowl summer 2016 is superb. He is joined by various people on different tracks. All great, but the music played with Jan Hammer is dazzling. High hopes for London next month!
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

-Grateful Dead Live at Madison Square Garden on 1988-09-18 Feel Like A Stranger-> Franklin's Tower, Good Time Blues, Big Railroad Blues, Memphis Blues, Stagger Lee, Promised Land Not Fade Away-> Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain-> Women Are Smarter-> Drums-> Space-> The Other One-> Wharf Rat-> Throwin' Stones, E: Black Muddy River ...I always dig listening to this show, being from the garden and all, and it’s well know acoustics..., ...or how about these three shows in April 7,8 & 9th. :) https://www.discogs.com/Grateful-Dead-The-Centrum-Worcester-Massachuset…
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

get another quarter outdrop in the meter mama try me on for size the guitar solo in that track is cool
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Two Oro's how can that be. From now on I will be known as Sir Garret Farseer... Dang lovin the conversation. Don Airey, seems I remember a documentary explaining a battle with him and Sharon Osbourne. I know Bob Daisley is credited now with helping write Diary of a Madman, but it seems like he Randy Rhodes and Don Airey wrote all the music to Diary. Seem to recall there was a dispute about royalties and such so Airey and Daisley and Kerslake the drummer were released. I know Sharon helped some with helping Ozzy deal, but I put her in the same category as Gail Zappa. The theme of this story is purely fictional and should not be confused with actual people places and events, real or fictional. Or something like that...
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Sweats be bangin.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Yeah Gary, now we’re talking.Where’s my milk?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 5 months

No meet up at the movies this year?
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

I have had the tape FOREVER and I, of course, bought the official release....I am going to have to go back and listen. That Jack Straw when I was in High School would get me so revved up because Jer just takes it, and takes it, and takes it. Higher, Higher, Higher, then BANG! Jack Straw from Wichita! Why would they swap them? and for which show is the Jack from GSTL 5/8/77 ACTUALLY swapped with?
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

AcrosstheRio Definitely want to meet up for the ABQ Dead n Co show. I sent you a PM seeing if you wanted to meet up for Phil but you might not have read it. Get a hold of me! PM me and I will shoot you my number. Also, any other Colorado deadheads trolling around on here...PM me. I love an excuse for a meet up and why wait till show time? Strangers stopping strangers...
user picture

Member for

13 years

Keep asking.. eventually someone will say yes. Gets harder and harder each year for me too. ...I'm bet they will crank out a meet up at the movies again. So what's it gonna be this year? There are some prime 89's yet to be plucked and I, for one, would be happy with a repeat of the Beat, 72. or how's this? 4/17 Amsterdam and the Beat. Or how about 71 Chateau d'Herouville? Wouldn't it be grand to announce the Box Set the same day? And what about Gainesville? Is Dave still feeling a bit under the weather?
user picture

Member for

13 years

I always liked 5/9 the most of the three.. simply for the Help/Slip/Franks and the second set Other One, NFA, Comes a Time jam. In fact, on my drive home tonight I was listening to the Playing, NFA, Comes a Time Playing from 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago. It could be my favorite sequence from the Spring 77 Box v. 1. I honestly don't listen to that much 77 GD these days, primarily because I have listened to it to death decades ago.. but that doesn't mean I don't really like it. So many tapes, so little time. Edit: oh.. VGuy, I had 35 mm film of all the 77 shows, but my last gf tossed them at the same time she tossed all my ticket stubs. Ain't that a shame...
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

That's not what she told me.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Give them to me.. my ticket stubs and my 35 mm tapes of GD shows. I knew you had them all along.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

I sold them all to buy a Steal Your Face barstool from dead.net.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

When have you ever seen or heard a show opener like this H>S>F? Oh yeah. We forgot to play this last night at Cornell, so here you go. Unreal. I maintain that 5/7 has the best Bertha, Peggy-O and 1/2 Step ever played, but Buffalo is my favorite of the three.
user picture

Member for

17 years

.... apparently Jimbo overdosed on Spring '77 awhile back. Sucks to be him. I was thoroughly in an Estimated vibe when a Spanish lady came by with a rose and took my hand out of nowhere. The rest is 5.9.18 history....
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I know Cornell gets all the hype, but Buffalo is my favorite show out of the sacred three. Gets regular play, especially on those scenic drives along the coast or out to the desert.
user picture

Member for

17 years

...yeah but what’s gonna happen if ol Jimhas one of those flashbacks they warned about... Carful vguy, I’ve heard some things about her!
user picture

Member for

10 years

Hey icecrmcnkd: Can you (or somebody), explain the story behind your comment that "the GSTL ‘5-8-77’ Jack Straw isn’t actually from 5-8-77."? I couldn't find an answer and can't stop wondering. . . Thanks!
user picture

Member for

17 years

Good choices, and what about Hampton 89, that still kinda frosts my ass.We all know they had vid from all those tours. For the box price, you think they could of tossed in some vid. I still like how they did crimson, white and indigo; discs and vid in relatively simple package at reasonable price...... Like I was saying the other day; why don’t they have us pre-pay before they run production, that way they don’t lose money, and we don’t get shut out?
user picture

Member for

17 years

Yeah, I’d like to hear that also Jeff! Your back, we were worried, last time you said things were starting to be contained etc, but weren’t outta the proverbial woods yet. Hope things have worked out?
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Wham bam thank you man, down on me in Amsterdam! Hey I'm listening to Bertha and I don't hear Keith. Did he sit songs out? Or is he playing the organ and Pigpen is sitting out?
user picture

Member for

17 years

Whoooosh, always liked this one the best, but I’m no 77 expert, listed through Ship o last night, man what a solid first set,that H-S-F is definitely one for the ages. Like that the Franks doesn’t drone on too long, sometimes happens IMHO....
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hey Oroborous....a Franklin's that DRONES ON???? I actually don't think that's possible. The licks are bouncy and happy and upbeat from start to finish! Add-in some pianer-tinkling and bass bombs and it only adds to nuance and happiness all the way to the final coda. I challenge you to rethink this borderline blasphemous statement. :D Sixtus
user picture

Member for

13 years

Release the hounds.:D Is it the weekend yet? Aren't they going to announce the box set soon? Has Dave been replaced by a cyborg or vampire? Feels like Funky Thursday.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Good morning Sir! First, I did qualify my premise with “ IMHO” which that and a dollar miiight get ya a cup of coffee. Second, I can certainly time some of the looooooooongish end choruses of Franks that never seem to end to make my point, not so much the song body proper...but why bother, the main thing is YOU Dig It, and enough so to call me out, so like someone (sorry, not much memory left ; ) so wonderfully said the other day, that’s what’s trully important, that makes YOU happy. Who gives a rats ass what I think! I’m just an old dog who misses shootin’ the breeze about the boys and the “good ol days” and perhaps, occasionally one of you nice folks will scratch my ears or rub my prodigious belly Wooof!
user picture

Member for

17 years

Yeah, Jim’s right (again), what’s the new box, or Dave’s even, we need something new to wrestle with ; )
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It's always great to scratch that itch my friend. I'm just razzin' you anyway. I completely concur this is all just opinions and likes being shared, which gives wonderful insight across the ether into each kind soul on here who wishes to participate. And now that you are getting a little more precise, I can understand your point of view on the outros in there from time to time. It is perhaps in the same vein as 'Deal' from, say, '78, where they go on and on and on with the vocal coda - sometimes to the point where Donna's attempts to hit a higher vocal pitch ends up sounding like a banshee at midnight - but again just an opinion! I say, let the music play. And kick it off with a fine Help > Slip > Franklin's. Happy day to All. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

It's all part of the delicate negotiations to free the North Korean "detainees." OK, hostages. Now that our citizens are joyously back on U.S. soil, other critical international business can soon follow. I ask you, what can be more critical than unleashing more transcendent GD music to soothe the pervasive bitterness, anger and anxieties currently floating around the globe? As Joseph Campbell once said, "the Grateful Dead are the best answer today to the atom bomb." And perhaps lots of other bad stuff. Carry on.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

...Great post!... :) ...pigpen 12/14/71 , ‘Mr. Charlie’ —- Love it! Then the, ‘Loser’ > ‘Next Time You See Me’ ... ;) ...sweet Suzy ;). ....
user picture

Member for

17 years

By George old man I think you might be on to something there.....Perhaps when the revolution starts, they should lock all the power elite in a room with some high powered speakers, air-dose em, and not let em out until they listen to 30 trips, or E72, Spring 77 or ???.... Hell, they can bring em nothing but kind veggie burritos, falafel, PBJ and other usual tour chow.... Who needs the U.N. we got Bolo and the gang on it!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

5/9 was always my favorite of the three as well, mostly due to the H>S>F. However, I firmly believe this is the greatest version of Peggy-O of all time. Back in the day, I used to rewind my tape repeatedly just to hear that song.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Ok, you almost have it, a little down to the, aaaaaaaaaa, that’s the spotHowwwwwrrrrrrrllllllluuuuuufffffff, pant, pant, Ok, time for a nap....
user picture

Member for

13 years

Get the rope.. I love it. Nothing like a good old fashioned lynching to steer / keep the discourse on point. Burning and a Looting Tonight... _______________________________________________ Makes perfect sense. The North Korea connection to Dave and this Box Set. That explains the basement Release Video, Dave being in exile and Dave's strange change in appearance of late. It also helps explain some of the delivery times.. They are using Kim Jong Un's (Uni for short) 30 mph max, heavily armored train to deliver these things. My question is.. who has the master reels, or at least what country are they in?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 9 months

Complete 1980 September/October Warfield Theatre run. There were 15, three set shows, at the Warfield. If memory serves, much of the run was lost (or rather taped over) The box will consist of shows that fully remain intact. Probably a bad guess; just going with the 1980 Iran "hostages" clue or not clue from Bolo. Sam T
user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Taking bolo's comment to mean that box set order date announcement is imminent. Avoiding political quagmire discussion, the proverbial olive branch... is dead.net ready to send Kim Jong-un a promo copy of DaP27? He could use more than a few miracles. Back to music. Let's warm up Jim's mower, shall we? Put in some high test, go back a ways? Thanks, Jim! A Korean War vet (connecting some dots here) rocked the world with his guitar, gets cred for surf music influence, moves to San Fran in the early 70s, jams out with John Cipollina of Quicksilver, he had to have been at some early Dead shows... It might get loud: Jimmy P chortles and plays air guitar to that vet's music. Pete Townsend said this guy was responsible for him taking up guitar. thanks for that sweet little sister Elvis clip (note James Burton there with his then rad red paisley telecaster!) brought to mind a Shawnee genius, so geezer or not, dial that mower back to '59... intro by Dick Clark, seemingly a cowboy tune with a 31 fret bizarre cutaway Danelectro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn5hl2IA7_s
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Thanks dmcvt. Link Wray! When you mentioned surf music (I know- I'll never hear surf music again) I immediately thought Dick Dale, forgetting about Link. So thanks for the Link. I'm a huge surf guitar fan....we recently (March 2018) lost Nokie Edwards, the Ventures guitarist. (But maybe the Ventures considered themselves an instrumental rock band more than a surf band...) Regarding the Elvis clip - I assume that's Ron Tutt playing drums for Elvis? I never saw Jerry with Ron, but I wish I had. Ron Tutt...backed up Elvis, then Garcia, then Neil Diamond. Wow. That's a lot of talented entertainers.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Old man??? I resemble that remark!!!!
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Jerry plays some nice pedal steel on his "Guitar Preacher" album (All cried out, Tuscon, Riverbend)
product sku