• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Knew there would be a box set announcement with clue from bolo soon, maybe its a bellweather day where she/he is... whether or not, weather is the clue meanwhile, while we CONTINUE to wait, hop aboard the magic mower for another geezer friendly trip... just a couple few years after Link Wray discovered guitar grunge in the late 50s (nothing against early Strat hero Buddy Holly), there was this clean cut genius from Baltimore.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MewcnFl_6Y
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Yet another release from the same era!!! I already saw three boxes on Ebay... Haha bob t By the way I still have that K-tel album!!
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

That particular K-Tel platter was released in 1976. Since there's yet to be a '76 box, and since I believe the remaining Boston and Beacon shows (which both start with "B" a la Bolo) came back with the Betty's, I'll put my Monopoly money down on an official '76 Summer Box. Hey, I ain't often right but but I've never been wrong...
user picture

Member for

11 years

Bolo - Ya know it's funny, the Dead are pretty low key when it comes to love songs. Weather? YES!! Love? Not so much! Sure the Dead have their share of love songs (Looks Like Rain is weather AND love!), but not a lot. Their songs are more about mysticism, adventure, cowboy tales/imagery, community, psychedelia, liberal activism, death/nostalgia, rebirth, enlightenment, and the OCCASIONAL love song. And the songs that ARE about love usually aren't gushy at all! Heck, they barely show a hint of being emotionally involved. Sugaree is about a prostitute and Jerry pleading her not to rat on him, and Peggy-O, Terrapin, and Samson are more like a Chaucer tale/Biblical passages in the 3rd person rather than gushy 1st-person missives. TLEO is THEY love each other (3rd person). Often they're just about "getting' in on!" Good Lovin, Sugar Mag, Easy Wind (ballin the shiny steel jack hammer - a ref to Pig's black girlfriend at the time - how romantic!), Not Fade Away's "I'm gonna tell how its gonna be" romance, Loose Lucy's "She'd come running and wed ball all night!" (note, SHE's running to HIM), Lovelight with the overweight $1.25 hookers that make Pig wanna "jump in the saddle and ride!", It's A Man's World, Cumberland with "ya keep me up just one more night... till 4:00" (yah, I hate nymphomaniacs, too....), Dupree's where the judge knows your baby well, Friend of the Devil's multiple wives. In Rider, Jerry sings about how SHE is gonna miss HIM while he's off shining his headlight somewhere else! Jack Straw where they're sharing the women with same indifference as sharing cheap wine. Ha! SO romantic!!! "Sing me the song about fu@king a fat hooker, Babe!" she purred... And I haven't even mentioned Brent's mysogynistic onstage rants at his "F'ing BITCH" ex-wife, and "never trust a woman", "I Just Wanna Make Love to You", etc etc. Oy. Let's not go there. I Will Take You Home IS sweet and tender and heartfelt... because it's to his daughter. Sure Bobby has some love songs, and Jerry sings a few Dylan love songs, but gushy songs like "If I Had the World to Give" are rare and seem out of place - better for JGB. I think the most tender/romantic moment I can think of in a Dead song (off the top of my head) is Brown Eyed Women where Delilah Jones meets her God and "the old man never was the same again." That's about as emotionally involved as they get - and it's sung in the third person about someone who is... Dead.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Read many of his books - don't know how many times I've read Electric Kool Aid Acid Test. Shucks. Figured out the 28th minute snippet of the 5/11/72, Dark Star - Bird Song ... I've been listening critically to the Fillmore East, Apr. '71, run, and I sure hope that there's a box down the line that includes ALL the music - Jerry's steel is so cool w/ NRPS! And, of course, you get a taste of Duane and the Beach Boys are quite good. Love it!
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Dylan covers, you say? One of the first I was aware of was the Baby Blue from 12/3/81, it was used in Dylan's film Masked & Anonymous and I believe is the one on Postcards of the Hanging. I think that song (not necessarily that version) is my favorite Dead on Dylan. The Bobby ones are all good fun, I have a soft spot for Queen Jane as well. I think it and Baby Blue are the ones where the arrangements themselves are inspired. Thin Man, Desolation Row, are fun but not quite there for me. Tough time with Phil on Tom Thumb. Memphis Blues is pretty fun, and reminds me of that time.....so Bob Weir forgets the words. And Bob Dylan has to step up..at the critical point, and throw in the one liner to close the deal. And people, just get uglier, and I have no sense of time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OBNnGQ4jmM That is still my favorite video on Youtube. You've got the equation wrong. That's how good it's gotten. Also, Miles M - Right On, I don't know much Ray Wylie yet but love that song. I know it first from Hayes Carll who has played alot with Ray. Great song, I couldn't believe Hayes omitted that verse when I finally heard Ray's. And weather box? I'm in. Things are tough all over When the thunder storms start Increasing over the southeast And south central portions Of my apartment, I get upset And a line of thunderstorms was Developing in the early morning Ahead of a slow moving cold front Cold blooded With tornado watches issued shortly Before noon Sunday, for the areas Including, the western region Of my mental health
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

“She got her leg up against the wall”Pigpen style of love song
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Stupid website crashed on me as usual. I put one in the cart and clicked ‘checkout’, then got a message saying that my cart was empty. Why does this always happen? I’ve been calling for this Box for years, and now I can’t even order one. They’re already on eBay for 10x the price. Damn scalpers. And is K-Tel a brand of bacon? Because I’m not making the connection between a 7 lb box of bacon and this release.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Listened to 8-24-85 in the car over the last two days.Wasn’t the train wreck I was expecting based on how this show is derided. Yeah, there were technical difficulties in the first set, but the overall performance didn’t seem bad. In fact it was quite good compared to Deer Creek 95. Now that was a train wreck. I was just minding my business dancing on the lawn with a bunch of other heads and we all got tear gassed because a bunch of ticketless idiots felt that they were entitled to be inside. And then the show pretty much fell apart. So next time you want to criticize Boreal 85, just remember Deer Creek 95. Is K-Tel brand bacon made in Gainesville?
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....he owns fifty skrateboards. Blown away that he showed up here. Really funny stuff. Grate call. YouTube him. Jerry Garcia's Before The Dead arrived today. My late father in law would have loved this. Day late....cranking it for Joe.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....there is a burg in Pennsylvania named Jim Thorpe. I don't know about bolo, but I'm enjoying it. Kimock....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....the more you understand. fourwindsblow bringing the groove. High five.
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Vguy, Jim Thorpe is very nice small town not too far from me. I haven't been there in several years. It's original name was Mauch Chunk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe,_Pennsylvania Penn's Peak, a very nice concert venue where I've seen Dark Star Orchestra and other bands is in Jim Thorpe.
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Vguy, Jim Thorpe is very nice small town not too far from me. I haven't been there in several years. It's original name was Mauch Chunk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe,_Pennsylvania Penn's Peak, a very nice concert venue where I've seen Dark Star Orchestra and other bands is in Jim Thorpe.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Favorite Covers, phewww, where to start? Check out this incomplete list and try and pick ONLY ten! *A&A, *All over Now, *Baba Orielly, *Boken Arrow, *Big Boss Man, *Big River, *Meet me at the Bottom, *it’s all over now Baby Blue, *C.C. Rider, *California Earthquake, *Close Encounters, *Dancin in the Street, Dark Hollow, Day Tripper, *Death Don’t, Deep Elem, *Desolation Row, *Do it in the Road, *Women are Smarter, Frozen Logger, *Let the good Times Roll, Good Night Irene, *Gimme Sum Lovin’, *Green Onions, Hard to Handle, Hey Bo Diddly, *Hey Jude, *Hey Pocky Way, *Iko Iko, *I fought the law, *Johnny B Goode, *Jack a Roe, Katie Mae, *Keep on growing, *Lil Red Rooster, *Last Time, Louie Louie, Love the one your with, *Lovelight, Lucy in Sky with Diamonds, La Bomba, *Maggie’s Farm, *Mama Tried, *M&M Uncle, *Memphis Blues, *Midnight Hour, *Mighty Quinn, *Morning Dew, got my Mojo Working, Muddy Water, Mr Charlie, *New Orleans, Next Time You See Me, Nobody’s Fault, *On the Road Again, *Peggy O, *Promised Land, *Queen Jane, Race is On, *Road Runner, Rockin Pneumonia, Sitting on Top of the World, Rosalie McFall, Run Rudolph Run, Little Sadie, *Same Thing, *Satisfaction, School Girl, *She Belongs to Me, Sing Me Back Home, *Smokestack of Lightnin, *So What, *Superstitious, The Rub, *Tom Thumbs Blues, *Thin Man, *Visions of Johanna, Viola Lee Blues, *Wang Dang Doodle, Werewolf’s of London, *Want to Tell, *Watchtower, *Walking Blues, *Walkin’ the Dog, *We Bid You Goodnight.... and that’s not comprehensive!!! How about if we break em down...in no particular order... * saw these live (. )= versions I really like Regular Rotation etc (they played most of these forever) *Peggy O (never get sick of this one) *Promised Land *Women are Smarter *Morning Dew (6-28-85); so many greats, but this one really moved me... *Johnny B Goode (Skull Fuck); this is the song that formally made me a deadhead! I liked the dead and older heads were working on me and feeding me tapes, but I still was really into Zep and Jimi. Knew it well from Jimi, and of course Jimi Killed this, but one sunny April day in 1978 at my friends house, that version just really hit me! I had heard it before, but that day it just resonated in a way I can’t to this day explain. Then, I finally saw them live and “that’s when it all began”... Semi-Regular/Regular during certain era etc., Hard to Handle *Let the Good Times Roll *Gimme Some Loving *All over Now *Wang Dang Doodle *Hey Pockey Way Dylan Tunes *Desolation Row *Queen Jane *Memphis Blues *Maggie’s Farm *She Belongs to Me Pigpen Tunes Smokestack Katie Mae Mr Charlie Run Rudolph Run The Rub Acoustic Tunes Little Sadie Race is on Deep Elem Dark Hollow Jack a Roe Novelties/Fun/One offs etc Day Tripper Werewolf’s of London *Do it in the Road (4-7-85) Frozen Logger Good Night Irene (12-31-83) Louie Louie Love The One Your With (4-17-83) *Keep on Growing *So What (3-27-88) *Green Onions (6-30 -88) *Walkin’ the Dog (4-8-85) *Close Encounters (7-17-89) Some Personal Favorites and/or Fun Ones I saw *Death Don’t Have no Mercy (10-9+19-89) Sing Me Back Home (so emotional and amazing) Viola Lee Blues; (like someone said, might of just been another bar band if it weren’t for this one! *Ballad of a Thin Man (3-27-88) 1st Weir Version, Badass. *Visions of Johanna (3-19-86) 1st time, yowsa! This, Box o, desolation, Road Runner, Hand Jive and final sailor. Spring 86 another that slides under the radar... *On the Road Again (9-26-81)Fun, rare electric * We Bid You Goodnight (7-17-89) first time, like many of the first timers was ecstasy! Wow, like Jim says, how many bands have such awesome and large lists. We have been truly blessed....and these are just the covers!
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Finally, my copy has arrived on a sunny and warm Scottish day. Sunshine and a new GD show, never before heard by me? Will wonders never cease? I'm at Deal,as I type. So far, what a show. Well done, Dave.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Saw some of those too, whenever they played "last time" outta space, you knew you had just seen and heard something special. I always liked the Bobby Fuller 4 and when they broke out "I fought the Law", that was special, great tune and done well by the band. Visions was also a great cover that I saw Jerry perform, just wooonderful. Any Chuck Berry tune was covered well also. We are indeed blessed to have these top notch recordings to listen to so many years later. Raining hard here, kinda feels like a "Rainy day, dream away" day. Think I'll play some Jimi and "lay back and grove".
user picture

Member for

17 years

Right on, perhaps my fav Jimi tune. Hard to pick between Axis and ELectric Ladyland for best album......the after hours Voodoo with Winwood and Jack Cassidy, AMAZING! Lay back and groove indeed my friend.
user picture

Member for

13 years

I have an affinity for both those albums as well. I can say with absolute clarity.. I lost my shit as hard as I ever did at any dead show listening to side 4 of Electric Ladyland early one Saturday morning in the basement of my parents house when I was just cutting my teeth on adulthood. I had to leave the house for about a half hour and re-connect with all the synapses then were misbehaving before I could talk or be seen by anyone. What a great night that was.. ah, to be young and invincible with your whole life in front of you.. those were the days.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Pretty much the original three Experience albums plus Band of Gypsies are essential. When I first discovered Jimi as a kid, my whole musical world opened right up.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

For what it's worth..here are the Avett Brothers doing Mission in the Rain at Red Rocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESu4bAXytIY Really love that song, I'm no expert for sure but the 3/22/78 one from GarciaLive 4 is what did me in. I was displaced, divorced, moved to Louisiana and GL4 was one of my car soundtracks the first few weeks..Love in the afternoon. Don't think that version by the Avetts is the best, but I love that it's at Red Rocks. Far as I go, I'm Dylan > Avett > Dead, they mean alot to me. The only time I've been to Red Rocks was Avetts and Old Crow Medicine Show, make me down a pallet on your floor. They ganged up to encore with that one..coincidentally, or not, that song was also on Before the Dead, Jerry and the Black Mountain Boys in the year of our lord, 1963. The Avetts also played with Bobby W, both at Red Rocks and otherwise. Some good videos out there. They did some Jerry tribute with Warren Haynes, hence the Mission cover and others. If you have any interest to check them out, my first show was New Years 2009/2010, this was the next night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQB1g_ezho My video from the Pageant, STL, in 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8NRbNiUoaM
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Ten years ago, I walked this street my dreams were riding tallTonight I would be thankful Lord, for any dream at all. Some folks would be happy just to have one dream come true But everything you gather is just more that you can lose. Come again, walking along in the Mission in the rain, Come again, walking along in the Mission in the rain, All the things I planned to do I only did half way Tomorrow will be Sunday born of rainy Saturday. There's some satisfaction in the San Francisco rain No matter what comes down the Mission always looks the same. Come again, walking along in the Mission in the rain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YXqqMCVbts
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Oh, for Maria Muldaur, in the JGB at that time, some respect for her time in Greenwich Village, with the Kweskin Jug Band here (probably Maria D'Amato at the time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w6SewvJE1w I'm sure it's been posted here before, sorry to repeat. Of course Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions did that one on the Top of the Tangent release from 1964. Play Dead.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

the good stuff is great. the other stuff is meh. to me. BUT the good stuff makes the meh stuff good meh stuff. I do have a faaaaavorite T shirt of the Bold as Love album cover; black with the band/Indian images in purplish tones. I have heard purple haze so many times over the years I can barely stand it anymore. but...if you can just get your mind together... Electric Ladyland...yummy. 1983 (a merman) is so f cool.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Thanks Ice Cream Cone Kid. Great renditions of a classic tune. Ice Cream Cone Kid (or ICCK as Bill The Cat would say).
user picture

Member for

17 years

Glad to hear our friends from east of the pond are finally experiencing some relief.....Enjoy! RE: outer bass; 5-11-72, right? Now I still haven’t heard all the E72s, and I find “favorite” or best of, well, you know, but man this show, or at least the DS on, wooooeeeee!!!!!! duct; love the Frank vid, too funny, but also very interesting....wonder if he was turned unto similar “musical” influences as the boys? Don’t know too much about ol Zapster.... Tom Wolfe; perhaps the last great of that ridiculous generation of writers? Jim; your EL post made me smile so wide it hurt, then I started laughing my arse off! Mission in the Rain; another jewel, as a hormonal teen, living in a often dark if not rainy place, used to walk a lot.....so this one runs deep! Maria Muldar; sing your camel to bed! I’m sure all y’all know she wanted JG to play on that but he respectfully declined.... AB 1983; gulp...thanks icekd, whoaaaaa blossom! Oh, shit, how could I forget on my covers list California Earthquake (10-20-89) the response and energy for that was not unlike that of a “first/reintro”, at least by the time the chorus hit. Peace! Uncle Pedro is going to listen to ELectric Ladyland, and a, lay back and groove...
user picture

Member for

17 years

Damn, wonder if I still have my BTC tee? One of my favorite shirts ever..
user picture

Member for

13 years

I always had a deep respect for Taj Mahal. I have seen him several times most recently a few years back at the Brooklyn Bowl when I was in NY for work.. it was par excellente. Man.. he has aged a bit in a short period since then and gotten a bit wide in the mid section (as have I). This video cracked me up though, most unusual.. I didn't mind the slop so much but Sammy Hagar drinking what could very well be a club soda and lime (or quite possibly something else with lime) was a nice touch. Bob was all business but seemed to be differently tuned or found himself in the wrong guitar for the song or something. Then Guy Fieri bringing out a birthday cake, a wtf moment perhaps? ..and sitting in for the bow. too funny but not necessarily in a good way. Classic song though and a nice effort. I hope they raised a lot of money for healthcare for those in need. The cause erases the goofiness. A for effort and cause, C for performance and B+ for unintentional giggle.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....my mindset has been diverted. Golden Knights win!! You Win Again. We're taking that Cup down The Strip. Just wait. Confidence is key. And Vegas has that in spades. Amazeballs....
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Vguy, I will admit that I have been very impressed by the Knights play. But, Fleury stole this one for you tonight.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....my Garcia in net. Surreal as fuck.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Weren't you guys vehemently complaining about this guy when he was a Penguin? Just kidding. :D
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I never said that I liked him. He just saved their ass tonight. I've be a diehard Jets fan for a month now.
user picture

Member for

13 years

I have finally listened to this release enough to put it to shelf for a while. It took 2 1/2 weeks and more than three completely listens. For me, this is much quicker than normal, I had the time this time. It usually takes me at least a couple months for my thoughts to congeal.. Boxzilla took a year and a half to two years and some shows still have not gotten a second listen (working on that). My first elations have been balanced by comparative listens and time to reflect. Not much has changed since my first listen though. I really enjoyed both shows, despite the similar setlists and close proximity to one another. And you get a sans Pig show and a Pigpen show, and they are quite different, even the non-pig songs. The Other One Suites for both shows deliver the goods. It could have been released as a two show box set, "1971 - The Other Ones." Both are powerful, monstrous and worthy. Phil is vibrant and in his prime and it comes through on these songs. But the real joy is the mix and the recordings, especially considering 11/17 never really circulated in good quality. This allows the other songs to shine and make their own statement. Big RR Blues, Jack Straw, Playing in the Band, Cumberland Blues, and on and on. Also, be it positive or negative.. these shows come at a steep part of their learning curve and bridge the 70/71 sound to the 72 to pre-hiatus band that hopefully we all know and love. Both good and similar yet vastly different. Typical GD. A great release.. top 5 DaP, perhaps top 3. An instant classic. Ok.. it's now on the shelf. News on the Box Set? What are you all listening to? We have Munich and the Lyceum left in Europe.. I guess I might drift there for a spell.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Thanks to you,my man I'm listening to 4-19-1982. The Raven show.More nitrous! Thanks Jim. :o)
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Thanks for asking. At this moment I'm listening to King Tuff, but after clicking on the Bob Weir/Taj Majal video I'm reminded of Eddie Money (because he's mentioned in the story) so now I have to find (probably on Google Music) "Two Tickets to Paradise" and listen to that. Because I love that song. Let's see...Eddie Money had some other hits too, didn't he? So Eddie Money is on the list. And if your question meant "what are you listening to lately?" - I got Wheels of Fire yesterday (never had it before) so I have Cream on the list too. And last evening was Garcia Live Volume 9...love that "Ain't No Woman (Like the One I've Got)", except what the hell's happening with Martin's sax during that song? Sounds like interference from some sort of audio transmission. Weird. Rock on.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'm still listening to DaP26, as it has only just arrived. I've also got some friends visiting, who aren't really into listening to music, so its taking me longer to get into this than would normally be the case. But I have listened to 11/17/71 once. DaP26 arrived as I was half way through listening to Bickershaw 1972, having just heard the two Paris 1972 shows-which was very bad planning on my behalf, as I couldn't help comparing the 71 show with those from 72. The first thing that struck me was the incredible sound and mix on the new release. I have mentioned before, that large set lists put me off a bit-but as was pointed out to me in the past, you cant judge a show by its set list-and despite the massive volume of songs, the playing on each track is superb-right from the opening Truckin'. I also thought Tennessee Jed was really well played. But the highlight for me is still when they stretch out-and The Other One is great. The lead into Me and My Uncle didn't sound quite as natural as it did during summer 1971 to me, when it seemed, and was, more spontaneous. Here it sounds more like a neat trick, which they had done before and had realised was a crowd pleaser. They must have stopped doing it shortly afterwards, as none of the Europe 72 Other Ones are punctuated by Me and My Uncle. It seems more concise than the Europe 1972 shows I have just heard, more rock and roll based, perhaps. But its a great release-I'll definitely be playing it again when I have more time to myself.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I bought the vinyl copy of this last Christmas. Its an album I have always liked-Crossroads and White Room-great stuff. I have also always loved the cover by Martin Sharp-in fact it was the cover as much as the music-which I already have-that moved me to get the vinyl copy. Another great release I have been dipping into over the last week is the 4 cd box set Love is the Song We Sing-San Francisco Nuggets 1965-1970. It is what it says on the tin-many tracks that are very well known-but also some very obscure gems. There is a great track by a band called Country Weather-Fly to New York. There seems to be a cd of their recorded works available, which I will no doubt be adding to my collection sometime soon.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

Just catching up- Muleskinnner...I'm also a big avett brothers fan. Believe they are going to be in NJ this summer. I'm going to try to check them out with one of my sons if I can. DaP 26...gets better with every listen. Sound is amazing, and as others have stated, both Other Ones are mind blowers. Favorite cover: I know you rider, most of bobby's cowboy songs, NFA. Least favorite: watchtower (just never did it for me) Top 5 shows...also an impossible task but will give it a shot. Subject to change: 2/28/69 5/11/72 8/6/74 2/3/78 10/10/82
user picture

Member for

17 years

Great band, with Greg Douglass on guitar. Their CD is pretty fine too.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Currently enjoying the 41st anniversary of the "quack" Fire On The Mountain, 5/17/77. I love that version and I love that show. It's probably my favorite from the May 1977 Box. Now back to lurk/check in quarterly mode... - Quod
user picture

Member for

17 years

One of the best shows i've ever seen was Taj Mahal at The Ark in Ann Arbor, in January 2002. He played without his band - just him on piano, guitar, banjo, whatever he flet like playing. Just amazing. What a stage presence. We sat behind the piano for the opening act. Young dark haired piano player who had to sit on a big cushion to reach the keys , I guess because Taj was so much taller. She went on to be pretty famous I hear. Went by the name Nora Jones. In between DaP 26 i've been revisiting the '73 Winterland box. Three stellar shows.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

While hesitant on some level to introduce this (has anyone done so yet? If so, my bad), it was still a very interesting exercise to my ears and of course many of us who love to "listen" might get a kick out of it: First read/listen to this clip to get the jist of the ongoing "debate" https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yanny-laurel-debate-explanation-re… Then, go to the actual, ORIGINAL source and listen: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/laurel This totally did the flip flop on me...AND I was JUST sitting here in my office with one of my colleagues, and we each heard something different from the same source. Aural Oddities Abound. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

First a Jimi story... yes, geezer warning... September '67 high school buds/musician friends took me into a small studio in Bethesda MD with huge speakers the size of refrigerators ... age fifteen... played both vinyl sides of Are You Experienced for me at a fairly high volume. It totally changed my thinking on what was possible on an electric guitar, duh. I was listening to the the Dead, Airplane, Quicksilver, Beatles, Kinks, Stones, Yardbirds, Muddy Waters etc but Jimi, OMG. Then Axis was released, a concert tour was announced. My first "rock" show. https://s3.amazonaws.com/ghostsofdc/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/27195159… Not old enough to drive so dear old dad took a few of us down to the Washington Hilton for the 8 pm. During Foxy Lady, someone in a chicken costume jumped on stage and tackled Hendrix, he did not miss a note. It seemed staged but later on the Washington Post ran the story behind it, a random prank. We were in the tenth row of folding seats, forty feet from the stage. I found a primitive bootleg of it on the web a few years ago, telephone audio quality, JHE was on for about 50 minutes, that's it. Fifty years ago... Blind Faith deluxe edition.... never heard these extra bits and jams before, fun Tony Rice Unit: Backwaters Dave Holland Quintet: Dream of the Elders Jaco Pastorius: Birthday Concert Bela Fleck and the Flecktones: Left of Cool Bags and Trane Metheny/McBride/Sanchez: Day Trip Hutcherson: Oblique Fahey: Return of the Repressed Eric Johnson: Electromagnets Zappa: Complete Roxy GD: 5/9/77 Buffalo JHE: Axis, cause of all this Hendrix talk of course in the car, on rotation thanks to a kind soul, GD Complete FW69 house concert this Sunday over in New Hampster with Maeve Gilchrist & Friends, four musicians, 35 other friends by invitation, acoustic heaven close encounter as Maeve is incredible on Celtic harp http://www.maevegilchristmusic.com/about/
product sku