• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

13 years

Very sorry to hear this. Wishing you the best and a complete, speedy recovery.
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

Glad you lived to tell the tale and got such good care. Tunes and healing to you.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

good to hear you made it through this Doc, blood clots are nothing to laugh about. You are very lucky sir, stroke took my dad, was playing golf in the morning, felt fine, went to bed and never woke up. You are right, cherish life, it can all change in a New York minute. Got to agree, this bonus disc is just awesome.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

You were meant to survive so you can savor DaP 26, and continue preaching the gospel of ‘71. Music heals the brain, and nothing does that better than GOGD.
user picture

Member for

17 years

It is a risky business. Problem is that this sort of thing can happen to anyone, irrespective of lifestyle. Doc, you were obviously very lucky. You were at work, you could have been on a freeway and it wasn't catastrophic. Clots - you don't see them coming - they're sneaky little bastards. Just hope your "residual deficit" doesn't make you talk like Daffy Duck. Take good care of yourself and I hope normal service can be resumed a.s.a.p. It has changed you, though - I see you're talking about 1973 instead of 1971.
user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

Love
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Healing Vibrations, Holy Spirit and a prayer for you to fully heal.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

One of the good guys-I hope you have a speedy recovery with as little after effects as possible. Makes me realise how every day is precious.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 10 months

Stay well. One of the things you said reminded me of some advice from a wise one that still sticks with me. My Dad's good friend was always laughing and joking around, but as he got older he got a little more reflective. He was 92 the last time I saw him and in failing health. He decided it was time to impart some wisdom on me while he could. He said - Life is short (that struck me coming from a 92 year old). The time you have left is going to go a lot faster than you think. So spend as much time as possible doing what you like to do best. I'd add to that practice kindness when you can, and it's a pretty good formula for the remaining years. Take care.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

So sorry that you have not been well, best wishes for a speedy recovery, I have really appreciated your postings on this site and your generous offers of assistance in all GD things '71, cheers Jon
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

blood clots do suck. I had 3 mini blood clots in my calf area. and for some reason when I got to get to pee and it made my leg feel like it was going to explode, like someone was choking the shit out of it. I had to spend 3 days in the hospital cuz of it due to complications of of having foot surgery and sitting around and having my leg bent all the time I'm sure.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Glad you're back a postin! I have been hoping for your return to the board since you informed me of your ailments a couple weeks back. BEYOND GLAD to hear you are still improving and doing very well, good sir!
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Putting them up here for a couple days before I poke around elsewhere. 2 extra tickets *friends can't go and they bought me my ticket so I am trying to help them find homes for the other two* 7/13/18 Folsom Field Boulder Colorado. 120 a piece. They are willing to eat the surcharges and all that fun stuff. PM me and give me a shout on the page letting me know of the PM. Either way, Hope to see you all there. Acrosstherio and Denverman, you guys going?
user picture

Member for

17 years

Sending my regards and may you have a speedy recovery.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

P.S. I was at that 73 Santa Barbara show. One of my favorite Dead shows all time. New Riders opened. Dead came out at 2 PM and played til 8 PM. Two long breaks. Wonderful day.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Yeah Jerry goes almost Heavy Metal in his Fast & Furious playing! What a "Muscular" performance of Jack Straw on that Go to Nassau release. It is just exactly perfect.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Looks like it’s going to be the Vguy Knights and TB in the Finals, unless Ovechkin pulls off a miracle. I knew the Thrashers would choke. They always do.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Same mild stroke/clot thing happened recently to a close acquaintance of mine. He's still dealing with it, but we're still in touch as a matter of fact even today. Glad Scott's still here. Good man. So glad you made it through...if even mildly scathed. Those near death experience/health scares help reinforce how as you said fragile life really is...Be Kind! Recent Spins 10-2-77 Full Show 9-2-80 Full Show DaP 25 Full Show Dick's 33 Disc 4 Playing Sandwich
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Congrats and Happy Birthday. The Stanley Cup playoffs sure went south in a hurry.
user picture

Member for

13 years

The cone kid gives some good advice. Do it. If you have crappy insurance, I can send you the home colonoscopy kit I got from Aetna (well, Aunt Aetna).
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

hot 4/6/71 potent new Dave's beautiful
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Acid Month :)))
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Glad to hear you're OK! Judging from your post, the residual effect you speak of is invisible to others, and anyway you're still way smarter than most of us (yeah I know, I speak only for myself) ;) Going to listen to 12/5/71 Felt Forum tonight, as you were the one who turned me onto it... Heal up, and all the best! Edit: changed it to 12/5/71, think that's the one...anyway, gonna be listening to a lot of '71 'til I get it right. 12/5 has "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Waters" so gonna go for that one first :)
user picture

Member for

13 years

Where does April = Acid Month come from? I like it. Decades ago, when owners of professional sports teams seemingly took municipalities hostage for fear of them moving their teams to other cities to extract large sums of taxpayer funded money to pay for mega sports complexes.. I lost my love for professional sports. To me, it's just bad economics and forcefully funnels money from the average to the uber-wealthy. ..but college sports, hockey and amateur sports still seem fun. Lacrosse is a cool sport. I cut my teeth on music that many here love but I have all but lost interest... The pre-fab stuff can't sustain my attention even if it's good where each show sounds exactly like the last. To me it's good for one listen, sort of a cocaine high then I get distracted and into something else. What captivates me with the GD, besides the raw talent are the songs and the continually evolving arrangements, the reinvention and improvisation, the effort. It evolves and breathes. Every show, song, every moment is different. Doesn't hold true with most metal, country, RAP and anything that is pre-packaged commercialized crap. For the most part country bores me the most with the exception of.. well.. you guys know, real country, roots, the folks that were actually musicians and not cheap business models that reeked of pre-packaged crap. So Willie came on some standard cable channel tonight (who I always had a bit of a soft spot for and have some space on my shelf for his CDs) and I found myself enjoying it immensely. Really took the edge off the work I was doing. In in the banter in-between songs the harp player commented Willie's the guy in the middle and he picks the songs an starts the songs, plays lead and there is no song list for the shows.. so the trick is just to listen to the music and complement what the band is doing. Does that not sound GD like to you? There is a rumor out there that Willie got dosed at one of the infamous 4th of July stadium gigs he sponsored... July 78 anyone?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

I kinda hear what you're saying, I haven't really been a sports fan since I was a kid and Billy Martin was managing the Yankees. Thurman Munson was team captain. Lou Piniella, Mickey Rivers, Roy White, Bucky Dent, Willie Randolph, Greg Nettles, Ron Guidry, Catfish Hunter, Goose Gossage, Ed Figuroa, and of course Reggie Jackson, now that was a team! I remember paying a whopping $1.50 for bleacher seats. Me and my cousin (later on this was the same cousin who was my Dead mentor and touring buddy when we were older) would go out to Yankee stadium with our mitts, hoping to catch a fly ball. I remember when on "Bat Day" you actually got a freakin' real bat! The one I got back then was a "Mickey Mantle" bat. Not like today, when you get a little novelty bat. But after that, I grew out of it, and never had the same excitement and affinity for sports again. All the guys I work with are all sports, all the time. And I couldn't care less, and have no idea about the players they are talking about. Just give me my Grateful Dead, and other music I love, and I'm a happy camper... Not to take away from the sports lovers, we all enjoy different things, just not my thing anymore...
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

it is from a long-ago Relix magazine article something to the effect of "April 1971, also known as 'Acid Month', as the GD play 8 shows in NYC" one of those things that stay with you over the course of time
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Sad ass day. Dantian and Jim. Both of you. But you know what? I am with you. My sport was just ruined today. Ruined. Sorry Vguy, but it was. Glad for your victory, but I just totally lost interest in the finals. Vegas vs. Tampa? That ain't hockey. We used to drive hours north every Saturday just to catch a game on CBC. You could barely see the TV screen, the reception was so bad. Snow storms so fierce, we often had to stay for the night. We did it for the love of the sport. The games were great. I miss it. And those days are never coming back. Now they play in the desert.
user picture

Member for

13 years

My pop used to take us to see the Orioles in the 70's regularly.. bleacher seats were $1.50 then too. Then $2.00.. then $2.50 and he quit taking us. ..but then again, I bet gas was something like 35 cents a gallon. Funny though.. it was more fun then than now. I think we did game 7 in the 1979 World Series and the goddamn Penguins (I mean Pirates) beat us. I have no idea what those tickets cost, but it was the last game my pop ever took us to. I am at a loss how to tie this into the GD.. I will do better tomorrow. Vegas vs. Tampa Hockey. Ironic and quite funny.. I'm happy to share in the enthusiasm though.. just not likely to buy a ticket or support TV commercial revenue. It's all good though, if it makes people happy, then it can't be bad. Enthusiasm is a good thing.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Funny you mention that Jim. I was thinking the same. We all seem to have youthful passions. Baseball, hockey, etc. Yet, they somehow fade. This band is something I discovered later in life, yet the obsession seems to grow.
user picture

Member for

13 years

I listen to more GD now then I ever have. Yet.. socially, I don't think it comes off as obsessive. I am perhaps seen as more 'normal' now than ever but inside my head the music never stops. Weird yet normal. Special thanks to Latvala, Lemieux, Norman and Miller et. al. oh.. and all of you kind folks that keep it all interesting and fresh. Tomorrow's listens are mostly fed by today's banter.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Used to live a few blocks from Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium. Fond memories of walking in a group to see the O's play, then stumbling home somewhat drunk and stoned after the game. My best friend at the time (and still) took me to my first Dead show. I never looked back. That's my tie in.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

My tie in. I've seen the boys at the Boston Garden, Foxboro Stadium, Hartford Civic Center, etc.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

the obsession seems to grow even more now. It's kind of a strange thing. Like Jim said, outwardly I am much more "normal" appearing than ever before, but inside I am pretty much thinking Dead all the time. Like when I happen to come across some random dates during the day, I'm always relating that to a certain Dead show from that date. I know I can't be the only one doing this either, I know most of you guys do the same thing, dammit! Let's face it, guys and gals, we are a special kind of crazy. But our brand of crazy consists of amazing music from the greatest band the world has ever known, good vibes, friendship, kindness to "strangers," and wishes for the best attributes of humankind to spread, so that ain't so crazy really now, is it :)
user picture

Member for

13 years

My first appearance at the famed Fenway Park was to see the boys. I'd do it again.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

That's the one. Only on Big Boss Man so far, and already bought the deed... Thanks, Doc! Edit: Oh yeah, and the only "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water" ever. Simply divine...
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

You have twisted my arm, Dantian, and "Drinkin TNT" is due to be delivered to daverock towers tomorrow. I notice that the copy I have bought also has a dvd enclosed. Its hard to make out the details, but it seems to be a Muddy Waters concert from the same run of shows, featuring Buddy Guy and Junior Wells in the band. Its not mentioned in the reviews, either, so it will be interesting to see what turns up. I was pleased to see the post from mhammond12, too, that he-you-had enjoyed Larkin Poe, and that your son had been to see them in L.A. I often criticize the online world -but this is surely a great use of it-turning each other on to great music that might otherwise have slipped beneath the radar. Its sinfully easy to buy stuff, though. Also a heads up for R.L Burnside-a real barnstormer if ever I heard one. The live Burnside on Burnside is one the most powerful, rocking, live blues albums I have ever heard. Apparently from the Hill Country in Mississippi, this traditional form of blues seems excellently preserved and delivered by The North Mississippi Allstars. I saw them last year-a great, trance inducing set - even the walls of the bar seemed to be throbbing in time to the music.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I also listen to more Dead now than I did, which may be a consequence of being retired. When I was at work I used to make lots of short car journeys, which weren't really conducive to settling into a show. I was always rushing about in the old days-life is more laid back for me now. Before, I would listen to The Dead at the weekend. Now I can listen when I like, without having to charge off somewhere. But the reason The Dead have remained interesting to me all these years, is partly I think due to the depth of the music. It seems to have deep roots into the history American music-through covers like the aforementioned "I Washed My Hands..", and the ones in regular rotation that we are all familiar with. They seemed to remold this history into something new, without losing sight of the history. They were never a "blues" band or a "country" band, but the spirit of these-and other-traditional forms seemed to inform their own music. I have been listening to a lot of blues over the weekend-and this complements and fits in easily with listening to The Dead. I would also say I seem to be perceived as a lot less outwardly normal since I retired. Good!
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Well Daverock, if you were wearing a blue jumpsuit and 6-inch stack heels what else would they call you?
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

While I will say that my comment below regarding Daverock as Ziggy appears to be nonsense at this time, I won't edit it out because it was based on a vivid hallucination and...well, I want to share the image of Daverock walking down the street in blue jumpsuit and 6-inch stack heels. Sounds perfect. If he reveals to us that he has a lightning-bolt painted down his face?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

"10 Mins - Before the film, movie-goers will get an exclusive inside look at the shows in the 2018 Limited Edition Boxed Set" This is an asterisk on the 2018 MUATM info, as mentioned in a previous post. THOUGHTS?!?! Is the BOX SET a new set of 1989-1990 multi-track shows (hopefully), or will DL stick with his constant theme of 1970s era only releases and it will be a 1973 BOX SET. I'd like to see SPRING 1981 Box Set, he certainly speaks very highly of this tour & has it featured often in the "Taper's Section"....BRING IT!!!!
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Doc: Be well and take care. VGuy - Happy Five-O! Sixtus
product sku