• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Okay MDJim, I am interested in how you can check sold prices on products in eBay. Could you please share?

Also, what ever happened to JiminMD?

• boblopes

That was me and yes, all of the rereleases I've got for the Road Trips I did not have came in the plastic cases. If I recall, one of the reasons I did not fully embrace the RT series was getting scratches on platters and many have complained about the cardboard scratching too.

Since I sort by chronological order all CDs that are typical CD case height, I don't notice as much. I am bummed that the two May77s and July78 cannot join their brethren in full glory, but more of a 1st world problem. They just have to sit at the top of the bookcase with the rest of the packaging.

• daverock

I have listened to a few 1966 shows this month, too - well worth revisiting. The one in 30 Trips 7/3 and 29-30/7 both have a lot to recommend them-especially Viola Lee Blues and Cream Puff War on both sets. They sound so different in 1966, that it barely seem like the same band. More like The Warlocks than The Dead, perhaps.

I never knew that Historic and Vintage Dead had been released on cd-although now I am getting back into vinyl I am quite happy with the ancient copies I already have.

• Vguy72

....can get expensive. Fast.

• Charlie3

There is only one solution that I can see as a fellow completist - you are going to have to repurchase all of the road trips in the new Real Gone packaging. The packaging difference throws me as well, but probably not enough to really repurchase all the original ones I already have, although I will admit to considering the possibility of doing so.

MDJim, interesting analysis of inflation and record pricing, I am a fan of fun with numbers. Sounds like it could be bigger than "Fun with Flags".

• kevinbrandon

Someone made a suggestion last week that Real Gone Records is releasing some Road Trips. I just want to let you know that they don't come in those recyclable cardboard CD holders. They come in the old fashion Plastic CD holders. To some you may be wondering who cares but to other "Completist" out there it might drive them a little nutty. I was a little thrown when I got the 1980 Penn State/Cornell concert show up in this double plastic CD holder. My OCD went a
    little haywire....."OH NO MR BILL.....IT'S PLASTIC (for you old enough to remember Saturday Night Live...when it was good)

• boblopes
    Vinyl more of an art form now than a mass produced commodity

The vinyl substrate today is so much better than it was in the early 80's. The albums that were released (classic rock reissues) was crap that was paper thin, far short of 180g. The used records I bought from my neighbor that were early / mid 70's was so much better. Not sure if there was a reformulation as a result of the energy crisis, but the used Led Zeppelin II and IV sounded so much better than the spanking new Led Zeppelin first release I bought in 79. They made it easy to switch to cd's.

Thought we'd see another Fillmore 69 vinyl on black friday, hopefully we can get the next installment on RSD.

I have not received a shipping notice yet for DaP, but I usually get them after it arrives...

• MDJim

The price of FW 69 is outrageous.. but the first FW Vinyl show is what started the conversation, @~$80 for a four record set.

..but the price of albums, adjusted for inflation, is remarkably unchanged from what it was in, say.. 1985.

I recall albums being more or less $10 in 1985 (about the time my album collection grew the most), ignoring the cutouts (albums with the corners cut off) and other discounted, non-selling events. One could argue that point but I believe that's just about right.

So if you adjust what one could buy for $10 in 1985, adjusted for inflation, that same $10 album would cost $22 today. The inflation rate between 1985 and 2018 is 120.28%. http://www.in2013dollars.com/1985-dollars-in-2015

So $20 per disc is less than the inflation adjusted price for a record in 1985 of $10 ($22 in today's dollars). And the vinyl of the day was not 180 gram vinyl.

Anyway.. I don't even recall any 4 record albums in the marketplace in 1985, because the price would have been too high (towlie pun intended). One other point of reference.. the national average price for gas in '85 was $1.12 (compared with the $2.261 today [not in Seattle!, but you get that]).. again, adjusted for inflation, remarkably just about the same.

Just my observation, not meant to inflame or cause trouble. I will get back to my full time obsession of keeping hippies off my lawn..

• icecrmcnkd

That one just said vehicles and I just had to select half of the squares that were offered.

• icecrmcnkd

Release day is 2/1.
    In past years you got an email from Music Now and the carrier pigeons delivered it about 10 days later.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Right on Uncle Sam
I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by nitecat

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html