• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • KeithFan2112

85 bucks is actually pretty cheap for for vinyl LPS, 180 gram vinyl. Every place I look for vinyl these days, it's either 25 or $30 for a single vinyl LP. 85 seems comparatively cheap.

There's a really solid Terrapin Station on Dick's Picks 29. Most of them from 77 or pretty solid. How many Terrapin fans out there. How many would put Terrapin Station in their top 10 desert island Grateful Dead songs? It would be borderline for me. Nah, as much as I like it I could come up with 10 others.

Dennis, thanks for the feedback on the Bertha from May 77. I may have to dig up my CD. What I am hearing is actual distorted guitar on Jerry side. The kind of distortion you get when you turn the recording level up to high. It's kind of fuzzy.

Edit - just listened again. The distortion is from 3:00 - 4:00 mainly on Keith's piano.

• PapaHooper
    Default Avatar

Delayed release this year? Every other year I’ve subscribed, a shipment notice is received on the 23rd or 24th of the month, like clockwork. This year... it’s the 28th and I’ve received no such notice. Hmmmm

• stoltzfus

a lot of fun

I now have a CD version of Vintage Dead/Historic Dead, too.

GD: the only band that _truly_ matters. at least to me.

• stoltzfus

the prices for individual shows y'all are citing...never.

• MDJim

I didn't even know how to see what items sold for.. didn't even know you could do that... so I did the same thing.

The $99 one sold in a little more than 8 minutes after being listed, and was a couple months ago. The rest seem to be in the mid-range. ..so patient but quick to pull the trigger if you want it under $400 to $500.

Interesting.. I am admittedly an eBay novice.

• Charlie3

The comments about ebay listing prices for FW 69 Complete Recordings got me curious, so I checked the sold listings and there is a huge variation. The lowest prices were $99.49 for a set rated "very good" and $100 for a set rated "like new". At the other end of the spectrum, there was a set rated "new (other)" sold for $850 and a few sets that sold for $699 each. There were a number of sets sold with intermediate values in the $400-600 range, give or take. Seems like they can reliably be had for a few hundred dollars, and occasionally someone gets lucky and pays close to the original cost of the set, kind of an argument for patience.

• MDJim

well.. the complete recordings (4 shows 10 cds) is listed for $900 on eBay, used. I think I paid something like $100 in 2005 and the bonus disc came free.

https://www.ebay.com/i/333014665513?chn=ps

Not sure if they will get that much, but it adds some perspective. There is a listing for just the bonus disc for $450. I think I am going to start selling bridges.. wish me luck.

• stoltzfus

lol

• Trainwrecked

That's a reasonable price for 180 gram vinyl, 4 discs. I didn't think to look on eBay because I assumed the prices would be so over-inflated that I wouldn't be interested. If they're going to be selling all 4, how can I not, right?

• Dennis

my bertha starts with low vocals like mike too far. only last 30 seconds maybe.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Right on Uncle Sam
I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by nitecat

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html