Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
    Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
    San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
    Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
    Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
    Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
    Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sick Bird '67
    Default Avatar

Purchased the ALAC digital download since the discs were unavailable. Many of the dowloaded tracks have dead air.

I have purchased many of the box sets over the years and never have I run into so many issues. Disapointed to see so many other devotees with similar issues. Hope this gets resolved soon. The set lists are awsome and I can not wait to kick back and listen.

• stillwaters

It's on sale, but it's not available? What's up with that?

• daverock

Sydney - why should you be expected to send faulty discs back? You have said they are faulty - that should be enough for them. Don't they believe us if we say discs are faulty? A little respect would be nice - do they think you might be trying to pull a fast one? Ridiculous.

• dmcvt

Wow, given the recent comments, who would have thought that the HCS box would be available for $140, listed in the Black Friday sale. That means they should/must have shipped any replacement discs for faulty or damaged at no cost BEFORE they sell another set... Had to jump through three Hey Now hoops to post this... talk about Lost Sailor...

• Sydney Prentice
    Default Avatar

No one has offered me a refund,they just sent me more faulty discs that don't play.It will cost me even more to send this back,I can't see them refunding all the postage & import fees that I had to shell out.

• 1stshow70878

They cannot get you replacement discs but they can put the set on sale for $140.23 in their holiday sale? Hey now on that.
    Cheers

• daverock

Surely they should refund people the full amount they paid for it if it isn't perfect.

• Jaysspacedhead

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
    WMG Specialty Customer Service

• marye
    send me a PM!
  • phantomengineer
    Default Avatar

Mary, belatedly can I contact you about an issue with the discs on this one, and can you remind me how I do such...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Five complete, previously unreleased performances on 17CDs
Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 3 months

I have today been sent a letter from parcel force here in the UK telling me a parcel has arrived from the USA and I owe £45.57p for tax and import duties I promptly paid and now my package will arrive tomorrow 18/7/23 so hopefully when it arrives it will not have any of the problems that other people are unfortunately having I brought mine when they sent out the email telling everyone only 200 were left in stock 🙏🤞

...Any recommendations on the dead and company close out tour. I would like to order a couple pay-per-views, but don't know the best shows. Sounds like Folsom Field had some great moments, but what about the Gorge and Oracle park? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I saw so many people that saw Folsom, I am leaning on 1 show from there and 1 from Oracle park. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks

Therelayer74 - sounds good. That's what I paid for duty etc too. Here' hoping it all plays okay.

I am only half way through the 1st cd of 6/9/73, but I have to say so far I have enjoyed each and every cd. In fact, these shows are much better than I was expecting. Apart from the earliest taping days, when everything was beautiful, I had a slight preconception about 1973 shows. Great music...when the 1st 90 minutes or so were out of the way. Perish that thought - as Spacebrother points out below, these short songs are great performances in their own right. The sound quality is really sparkling too.
I have enjoyed them all much better than the 3 PNW shows that came out a few years ago -although I will be re-visiting them in a short while too.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

I though Boulder shows were great. Overall Much more solid, energetic, consistent I guess is the right word?,
and not much plodding etc, as sometimes in the past.
The Gorge looks really good on paper, but I haven’t seen anything…
Watched all 3 SF shows. Overall good, but I didn’t think they had the same X factor Fire as Boulder.
Boulder hard to pick one?
Of the SF shows, I think maybe the last night I liked best. Started out kinda meh/status quo, but built up nicely!
Second set especially had some good energy!
Overall, quite enjoyable, they really seemed to step it up this tour!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

Been through the first two shows so far. No blemishes, scratches, glue, or seeds. Everything is exactly perfect; now on to Kezar. I've never heard any of these shows, so I'm really enjoying the ride. Speaking of enjoyment, caught my first-ever TTB show on Saturday. Derek is incredible......the whole band is amazing. And Ziggy got the party started with an hour of his roots reggae. Seen him twice but always in small venues (500-600 capacity). I still prefer those although the TCU Amphitheater, at about 6K, is sweet. On to SF. I'll be back in a little bit, so everyone just hang loose.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

....I stumbled across another band yesterday.
Paramore. Apparently they are pretty big, but I had never heard of them. Knowing me discovering good music, I'll be busy for 3 or 4 days.
Watching their Austin City Limits set from last year. Not bad at all.
Turns out my cousin's daughters are big fans. Thanks for the heads up ladies! Lol.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

First listen going well, but...
Newer cheapo CD player choked on the middle of track 2. Disc is visually perfect. Practically seized up and wouldn't go forward or back, was able to eject.
Older player doing fine so far. Wish me luck.
Could it be that HDCD stuff noted in a previous post re: a Rhino representative's comment about the issues posted on Hoffman?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

1st Show - there seems to be a broader issue with playback, its not HDCD related, but its going to take some sleuthing. From what I read a number of folks with "newer" CD players, and not just "cheapos", are reporting playback issues. It looks as if, aside from all the glue and scratches, some discs simply will not play or rip properly in a wide range of players. Warner/Rhino is using Sonopress to manufacture their CDs and the issue may lie with Sonopress. Yesterday was on Disc 2 of 6/10 listening to the ripped copy - everything good until Here Comes Sunshine and then all sorts of static and skips (booo!). There were some tiny specks of glue that I hadn't noticed - cleaned those off, and that seemed to solve some of it but still have skipping and static issues on a disc that as far as I can see is clean. I tried to rip it 5 times. Frustrating. Personally this mess has me anxious in a way I really don't care for, which especially shouldn't be the case with a box set with so much amazing music - I mean this was my dream box! So now onto Disc 3 and the Dark Star - it sounds glorious so far.

Gary - re Dead and Co. - I'd try Night 1 at Boulder to start. I was there and it was awesome.

Onward

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

So BC, I'm among the many apparently whose CDs won't always play in the newer CD player. So far disc 1 & 2 are just fine in the older (1992-ish) player. Doing more research before I reach out. So far in the newer player disc 1 stalled on track 2 and disc 2 will not read and gives additional message I don't think I've ever even seen saying NO MUSIC FILES. Then I went back and tried disc 2 again in the newer player and it is reading and playing it this time. Weird! I'll report back later on my progress.
Cheers
Edit: Gotta be my newer player. Now playing discs 1, 2 & 3 just fine (Dark Star!). Guess it needed warmed up. It's been a fussy bugger ever since I got it. Loves to play this little game about 75% of the time where it won't leave the tray open and snaps back like a gator leaving me to plop the disc in quickly and accurately. Only had one get jammed and bitten so far when I missed the mark and it still played it luckily with no mars or scratches. TEAC is black plastic crap nowadays. My restored vintage TEAC cassette deck is killer though! Best I've ever owned. Onward to disc 4 in a bit.
Edit 2: Disc 4 playing AOK and love hearing sweet Dickey Betts!

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Was sold out ad u posted!

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Dennis

....then according to the phish subreddit it came back in stock an hour later. Pretty sure they're gone now.
Billy Breathes is in the works next.
My personal favorite studio album by them.

I cleaned the glue off several CD’s already, then put them back in the cardboard holders. The cleaned CD’s came out of the holders with more glue specks on them. Going to clean again and put in separate CD sleeves.

Worst Box Set packaging ever?

And on top of defective CD’s for some people….

#rhinoepicfail

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 3 months

Received box set yesterday and although I didn’t buy it until release day I got #356 8 cd’s have superficial scratches and marks nothing to worry about disc 1 of the Iowa set has slightly more light scratches although it doesn’t look great it rips ok same as all the other cd’s but the first disc of the 10/6/73 show looks like it has sand paper rubbed over it truly bad fortunately I had brought the stand alone cd set of that show and I will put that set into the box set instead plus the first disc of each show was loose in their folder while the other disc’s was in there slots strange haven’t played any of them yet but hopefully they will play okay

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 1 month

Discover Wake of the Flood by Grateful Dead released in 1973. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards, and more at AllMusic.

Therelayer74 - I wouldn't recommend putting your stand alone copy of 6/10/73 in the box - you only have to read CNKDS recent post. Since getting the cds out of those pretty....and pretty useless..... cardboard holders, there's no way I'm going to start shoving them back in again.

Jumping the gun a bit, I wonder what form the inevitable re-release of Wake of the Flood will take ? Truth be told, I am not so keen on that album, but I would imagine we will be treated to another 1973 show as a bonus, and that I would like. A show with horns would be my guess.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 1 month

I’m up to 9 scratched/will not play discs.Hopefully will have replacements by 2024.
Getting angrier by the disc.

user picture

Member for

2 years 1 month

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

It would seem this one is just a lemon, it's sad actually. I wasn't going to bother contacting customer service, but I have to, There is just too much damage here. When I first got the box, glues wasn't too much of a problem, but now it is...

The shows are great, I think Betty's recordings are the best!

Was released for Record Store Day several years back. I remember it vividly because my band was playing a record store that day, and the guitarist got the last copy the owner had of Billy Breathes. I think it was like 10:30 or 11am by the time were there, and he had sold several copies in a small town in NC. I've been looming for it ever since, but not for $200-300. I tried to jump on the Rift last night but it was gone. But Phish was still offering copies of Farmhouse, which i glided right on past.

On HCS, I finished re-ripping the entire box via EAC after finding more and more problems from the first rips. Seems okay now, but now I'm debating whether to ask for 17 replacement discs or 14, as only 3 gave me no issues either in appearance or in ripping (I originally thought 8-9 based on appearance, but some scratches I thought were okay apparently led to skips on first rip). One thing I have not done is try to play them on my normal cd player, and see if there's any issues there.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

So far so good through disc 2 of 5/26, fingers crossed for the remainder. For people with newer CD players, you might want to see if a firmware update will fix the issue for discs without any apparent flaws. I recently replaced a 6CD player due to inability to read increasing numbers of discs and replaced it with a Yamaha single CD player. Initially the new machine would not play several discs that have caused problems on other players (DaP 28 for example). Upon updating the firmware to the latest version it played all of the discs that it was previously unable to play, including those with obvious scratches as well as those with no visible flaws, and everything I have put in the tray since. I wouldn't have thought that a new player would immediately need a firmware update, but the installed firmware was pretty out of date and it was a pretty easy fix to turn put the update on a thumb drive plug it in and turn a faulty player into a player that so far has worked flawlessly. If you have a new machine and are having problems with discs that appear flawless it might be worth checking out.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

Hey Gary - check out the Philly show and Gorge night 2. I haven't watched the Boulder shows, but of everything else those two get the job done well. Gorge night one, total clunker, glad I suck around in the 98 degree heat to see show 2. Pretty sure in Philly, they knew they better play a good show or they was gonna get their @sses kicked by that crowd, woooo, rough

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

I agree with Oro, the Folsom Field shows were very strong. They were the only three-night run except SF. Someone mentioned the first Folsom show, I agree there , too. Very strong show.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by nitecat

I was at the Folsom shows (so was Jeff Smith). It was something else all 3 nights and I'll get all 3 but was just texting a friend that if I could only have one it would be that first night. I think an off-the-radar smoker from near beginning of tour was Phoenix (Talking Stick) with a Death Don't Have No Mercy. Couldn't quite pull that road trip off. 2nd night Wrigley is another big one I think (brother was there.) Back to Folsom - I really really dug what I was hearing and want to check out some of the other nights (for those in the cheap seats an audience finally uploaded today for 2nd night Gorge, looks like the tour tapers skipped those shows).

Back to the music at hand. Just finished the last disc of 6/10 (went through box in chronological order.) What a sweet set with Dickey and Butch. Fortunately that disc played clean, 1 of maybe 4 total from box that didn't have some sort of problem. Back to Set I 6/10 right now. Wanted to hear that Morning Dew opener again :)

Charlie3 - thanks for the suggestion on the firmware update. Never had occurred to me, I'm not that tech savvy. I'm ripping with an external drive M-Disc by LG to a Mac. Most of the problem discs have visible issues but I think there's at least 1 that appeared flawless. Looks like there's a u toob video I'll be checking out later.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 1 month

People are starting to get notifications that they will be shipping replacement discs fairly soon without stating an exact time frame.
And no they didn’t have to send in pictures of the discs.
Finally some good news.

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Only 1 disc had minor glue, so as suggested, I applied 91% isopropyl and removed it easily.

I have had the opposite issue with my newer CD player. My old 5 disc Onkyo began to skip constantly. I purchased an Emotiva HDCD single player unit and have had no problems whatsoever. No skips so far with any of the HCS discs. Just to appease myself, I played a few on the old Onkyo and got some intermittent static/skips in different spots.

Listening to the Allmans set for the second time and very much enjoying it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hello everyone, I received my copy a few weeks back and immediately noticed how damaged the discs were when ripping them to my computer. I have been trying to contact customer service for 3 or so weeks multiple times about this issue without hearing back. Can you tell me exactly who you contacted? Last time I had this issue was a few cracked discs on the first spring 90 box set and I called them up and it was immediately taken care of. I have about 9 or so discs that need replacements, so frustrating. Any help would be extremely grateful. Thank you and take care.

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

Got a costumers letter last Tuesday. Picked up some money yesterday and drove about 30 miles to costumers office to pay the regular import taxes. No longer possible - if the amount is above EUR 150 you have to fill out an online declaration (by the way: not so simple), receive a number and than you can try again. But the costumers guy was very helpfull so at least I got my box earlier this day. Have to pay EUR 44,63 for additional taxes.
After reading all the comments about defective discs and so on I was more than surprised that all (!) CDs stucks in their pockets and only Disc One from show 06/10/73 has had a very very small glueprint. I take a litte isopropyl and now the disc looks fine. Still haven't listen to any of the discs so press the thumb that everything will be fine.
As for replacement discs: After years of buying via dead.net I've only had trouble one time. I got in touch with Dr. Rhino and got my replacement within 3 or 4 days.
Get in touch with Dr. Rhino via drrhino@wmgcustomerservice.com or dr.rhino@rhino.com (don't know if this one still works). Also you can send Marye a note - she's always more than helpful
Gar-see-ya from the sunny Isle of Fehmarn
JJ

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

So far I've played every disc through the second one from the last RFK show with no issues. No clue or noticeable scratches. Two discs were loose in the packaging upon arrival. Haven't had a chance to rip them yet but don't expect that to be an issue.

Nothing here too insignificant to not have issues lol

Kinda like a saying we have at work “no job too small to take all day” lol

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

I have played all the cds in the box apart from the last 2 discs of 6/10. The only problem I have had is that the Sugar Magnolia from 6/9 jumps and skips. I'm not sure whether to take this up or not - it shoud be perfect really, but I'm hardly short of versions of Sugar Magnolia.

I haven't ripped any of them, and don't intend too. I don't really understand this mass concern with ripping cds. Presumably it's to preserve the music in case a disc gets damaged. But as a 66 year old, I would think the cds that I buy now are likely to last far longer than I will. Taking that into account, I think I would be better off learning how to rip myself.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 1 month

In reply to by Althea1989

Try dead@wmgcustomerservice.com
You will get an automated reply and it seems to be taking over 2 weeks until you get an actual interaction.
Bear in mind that the extent of the problem here has overwhelmed them.Their supply of replacement discs won’t come close to meeting the need for them and they are going to have to do an extensive remanufacture.It will take a while but hang in there and don’t accept any solution except replacement.
Also over at Hoffmans a poll about the state people have got their discs in indicate just over 25% of people got 17 discs without issues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 1 month

I believe I have figured out the problem with scratches and/or ‘glue’ on the discs.
I just opened my box (because I finally have time to do so) and I of course decided to inspect everything inside, especially after reading these complaints…
I took each disc from its slot, checked them out and returned them to their slots… When I put CD 2 of May 13 back into its slot, I pushed a bit too hard and the CD went INTO the cardboard packaging, and was a bit difficult to remove being very careful not to tear the packaging…
NOW when I inspected that CD, it had a little bit of kind of a sticky, goopy, glue-ish stuff on the playing surface side. Of course! This was picked up by that CD from the inside of the packaging where the manufacturer put an adhesive! It was stubborn to remove, using my breath on it and gently rubbing from the center of the disc outward with a soft cotton cloth. Some have suggested warm water and soft cloth, etc…
So my advice is to only place the CDs into their slots until you see the CD # right smack in the center of the center hole of the disc. You’ll know what I mean as soon as you yourself do that.
The problem is that the two inside portions of the packaging weren’t glued properly and are coming apart or already separated… And apparently a “glue” that remains wet and sticky was used, probably because a glue that dries might turn more abrasive… I’m guessing…
In any case they are not glued securely, causing the CDs to float right inside to the danger zone… I should mention that this is only happening with the first two shows of my copy… The cases having not been glued securely. It’s caused scratches along the outer perimeter of those CDs… It’s pretty frustrating indeed.
I want a full refund or, if it can be accomplished, those two shows and their packaging replaced with tight and securely glued ones…
In the meantime I’ll be attempting to play and listen to the box this weekend…
We shall see…

Sadly the issue is not as simple as that, my 11 out of the 12 discs that are unable to be read by my player appear to be undamaged.Unlucky for me I know,but Warner Music Group will have them in the thousands.

PM sent but wanted to make sure you heard, Bob Weir and Wolf Brothers show in Burlington September 19th just announced, looks like its an outdoor. Not sure I will make that one, though pleased that Yonder Mountain will be nearby soon.

user picture

Member for

2 years 1 month

In reply to by dmcvt

I just finally contacted customer support, it was lengthy but kind, I have 3 UN-damaged discs. None of them were defective though.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I nominate Kezar for "best of the box". There are 4 songs from the first set alone that are either my fave or at the least, an "all-timer". I'll share those later if anybody is interested. (of course, you should NOT be interested, just my opinion).
I'm not even gonna discuss the rest of the show...yet.

Toady I'm waiting for delivery of Blur & Nina Simone, and hoping the wife doesn't find out.

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

The show at Shelburne Farms appears to be sold out already. Hope you were able to grab tickets.

It is a very cool place to see shows.

user picture

Member for

2 years 1 month

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I'm always interested in what or why people think is top shelf.
I might vote for Kezar too but I really like the Third Set from 5/20.....

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

thanks, Indeed it did sell out, less than two hours. Part of a network of music loving friends, notify event alerts so put the word out there asap before posting here... something may come back, people buy small blocks of tickets then share, miracles happen. Seen lot of music up in Burl, never anything at Shelburne though know the place. Phil and Friends on the waterfront there a few years ago (passed on his show in Beantown reluctantly tonight). JRAD too and will go up to Jay Peak for that show in three weeks. Never caught Phish in Burl... b.o.a.t was a front row seat for Miles Davis at the Flynn Theater in the early 80s. About a four hour RT from home, still if a ticket pops up, will go. Still working through the HCS box, slowly but surely because of glue and scuffed discs, plus floods and travel away, summer fun.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

Probably this is the most boring opinion possible, but: 6/10/73 is IMO the best show in the box and one of GOATs, period.

Des Moines is suprisingly great. In the 'strangest of places,' indeed. And Kezar we all knew about. Can't knock either one in the slightest. But June 10 blows the fucking roof off the sucka. It's got a Dew. And a Bird Song. And PITB. And Dark Star. And the jam with Butch and Dickey. Five hours of music. And everybody's on point and in good voice. And the audio allows us to hear what everybody plays. This one is right up there with Veneta, Bickershaw, and a very few others in my GOAT list.

I suppose everybody already knew this was an amazing show, but I'm listening to it right now, I'm geeked up, and I hadda tell somebody. You know?

So sorry to hear so many have had problems with defective discs. So far so good for me, and I think I've played everything except maybe part of the SB show. But blessings will be upon you soon, I hope and believe.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Always exciting times during 1st listening of yearly boxed-sets, missed a few along the way but rabid consumer since Europe 72 "suitcase".

Des Moines grew on me quickly, and just now started listening to UCSB Disc 1.
Anyone else hearing the annoying buzz apparent midway through Bertha, Me & My Uncle (seems to fade ~45 seconds into M&MU), now up to Looks Like Rain and the buzz seems to come & go?
Or maybe it's just my disc?, (doesn't look damaged/scratched)? Had to ask and now it's back to the show!

PS: check out the silent 4 minute video of this show that's "out there", if you haven't seen it!

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I'm interested: 4 Songs, 1st Set? !!

First Sets ROCK!, always interested to hear a deadicated head's notable songs & shows; especially first set top choice versions.

Has anyone here received replacement discs for the box,and have the new discs resolved the playback errors. Or are WMG still disputing the issues some of us are having with this box?
Would someone possibly like to comment, Mayre, Dave, Warner Music Group, anyone?
I don't understand how photographing an unblemished compact disc proves that it will not play or is unable to read on some players & not other players.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 1 month

In reply to by Sydney Prentice

As far as I can ascertain no one has received replacement discs yet or any indication that they have been shipped.
However a few people who seemed to have contacted them within a day or two of release have received replies saying the replacement discs they requested will be sent.
They did not send photos and they were not asked to even if they indicated the problem was scratched discs.
I think it will be a while until this is resolved.There we’re 10,000 sets (170,000 discs) sold.A poll on Hoffmans indicates 70% of sets have some issue with the discs.If you assume an average of 4 faulty discs per box with issues that means they have to replace 28,000 discs.There is no way they have that sort of inventory on hand or the staff to deal with 7,000 different requests in a quick manner.
They are going to have to remanufacture.Do not accept refunds or discounts on future purchases.Replacement is the only acceptable solution.
I just don’t understand why Rhino hasn’t issued a statement or sent an email to every buyer.Terrible customer relations.Anyway hang in there,keep the pressure up and with patience we will all have the glueless,unscratched,playable discs we should have got to begin with.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

In reply to by Alan57

I'll just have to hang loose until these replacements arrive Alan57, nothing has been promised to me as yet. Only a request for photographs.I don't mind waiting as long as it's not going to be more faulty discs, I am wondering if it has something to do with the oversampling bit rates that different CD players use/adopt/ build into their players.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/here-comes-sunshine/here-comes-sunshine-1973-dead.net-exclusive-[17-cd]/081227847036.html