• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Dennis

Got Third Man's Vault 57 in yesterday. (all the Syd Barrett solo albums)

Very nice job on the packaging.

(also the shipping box was GREAT. Be very hard to damage in a box like that)

• nitecat

Just finished my first listen to this release. Love the tiger artwork. Really strong release, Jerry sounds great. The bonus stuff from The Stone is an extra treat, a little looser with great jamming. Jerry's guitar tone is exquisite. KInd of surprising to see Jerry with two keybordists, Melvin on B3 and Jimmy Warren on Keys. Adds another dimension, I think. Time for me to listen to this again.

• nitecat

We're currently in Lake Tahoe, California, and we're going to see Billy Strings tomorrow at the brand new Tahoe Blue Event Center, located barely past Stateline. I saw him last year at Frost, right before Hardly Strictly weekend. Great show, electric bluegrass with a touch of psychedelia. We have the ultimate nosebleed seats, all we could get, but Billy has a fine light show and projections so I think we'll be alright. I'm looking forward to checking out this brand new venue!

• nitecat

"Oracle Rising: the Re-issue of the "San Francisco Oracle"
    "San Francisco Oracle" Publisher Allen Cohen was a psychedelic pioneer during the wild days of the 1960's Haight/Ashbury. In this DTV interview we are re-releasing this week, he describes the rainbow-colored newspaper of art, poems and insightful articles as "the Rosetta Stone of the forgotten civilization called the Hippies."

Find it at dreamswedreamed dot com.

A personal note: this is the last video we released from episode 17 of Dead Head TV. When Brent Mydland passed suddenly in July 1990, the DTV crew put aside several upcoming video projects to produce during several months a half-hour tribute to Brent, which would become episode 18, the last episode of Dead Head TV. Stay tuned, we will release the Brent Tribute very soon.

• 1stshow70878

I haven't met a NM show I didn't like.
    Cheers

• Vguy72

....they have plateaus and clouds and green chilis for dayssss.
    And a top five state flag to boot.
    The Santa Fe shows will eventually be officially released. Mark my words.
    Dave! Do it! It would be welcomed with open arms! Trust me.
    Vguy72 drops the gavel. End of session.
    I'll even put up a petition to be signed if that's what needs for it to happen.
    Sign here please. Thank you. Here's your sticker.
    Who's with me?

• FiveBranch

The release that really turned me on to '71! Shines something raw and brilliant. Also my favorite artwork for the DaP releases. Especially that hologram version.

Lightnin' Hopkins, Live at the Rising Sun
    Bob Dylan, Fallen Angels
    Bob Dylan, Rough and Rowdy Ways
    Bob Dylan, Love and Theft
    Bob Dylan, Nashville Skyline

(getting ready to see our Bard next Saturday)

• Forensicdoceleven
    The crisis of today is the joke of tomorrow.....

Hey rockers!!!

Doers anybody know how to "capture" that 1/21/71 from JOTW? And what about the "other two reels" that somebody mentioned????

Sorry, I've been outta touch...............

Rock on,

Doc
    The past is the beginning of the beginning and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn......

• proudfoot

Yes

• bluecrow

Danehead - from what I see, 2 of the sbd reels from this show have been circulating for awhile but not the one on JOTW. Notes regarding the earlier circulating reels state that Latvala couldn't find others from this show in the vault so maybe the JOTW is returned reel(s), possibly one of several for the show (fingers crossed). You can stream those early circulating bits on either relisten or the archive, plus there's an audience tape of whole show that to my ears sounds okay for the era (okay, at times a bit too "audiency.") Of note, show had last Cosmic Charlie until 1976. A lot of Pig harp playing on Trucking! And yeah PF, that's very much a harsh cut at the end. Sigh.

Decided to spin 11/17/71 ABQ in anticipation of the new DaP coming our way.

Enjoy the Fall weekend folks. It's sweet weather here in the Desert Southwest.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

11 months 1 week

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html