• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Danehead
    Default Avatar

Just heard the 45 minutes or so of 1/21/71 - great, great sound, fun set-list - never heard Pig on harmonica on Truckin before.. And that all-time stage-remark by him.. Hope they have the full show - thanks Bluecrow..

• proudfoot

Doesnt include what I _want_ it to include, but no complaints.

And NO TALKERS!!! :)))

Just be ready for an early withdrawal

• proudfoot

Beavis voice: "YES! YES!"

good taste, Danehead.

Gotta hear JOTW....

And applause for BTK as always and for Daverock for the quote of the day and for Bluecrow for directing me to JOTW

• bluecrow

Jam Of The Week - on the home page under Features.

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

The show I more than anyother would like to see released (my birthday..). Hey "Bluecrow" - what is JOTW.. ? BW..

• bluecrow

Curiously, it seems that's what Dave has cued up for the new JOTW - from 1/21/71.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Who hears music feels his solitude peopled at once........

Morning, rockers!!!

The yellow box of 1971 FM broadcasts is a bootleg and should be avoided. Especially because very high quality copies of those shows freely circulate, and there's people willing to share. Hint hint..............

Two other 1971 Dead shows were widely bootlegged---the 12/5 Felt Forum show and the 7/2 Fillmore West show. Yes, I had those way back in the day..............

As far as the recent live Floyd releases, those are well circulated and pretty much all audience recorded shows, except for one very early 1972 partial show, which is a sub-par soundboard. Decent enough sound, and some of the earliest live Dark Side material out there. As a huge Floyd fan, these are interesting historical documents, but almost all have been around for quite some time. Not sure why the Floyd released all these, but I think it has to do with some quirky European copyright issues.

Off to the morgue, hafta take care of a double homicide.............

Music, the greatest good that mortals know and all of heaven we have hear below........

Rock on!

Doc
    Music is the great equalizer.............

• daverock

Yes, that's a cracker. It would be great if something like that could come out as a Dave's Picks. Never mind 3 cds of really well played shorter songs, with a bonus disc and merchandise. Just a single disc of pure gold.

• billy the kiddd

There is a great bootleg of 10/12/68 out there.

• daverock

HB672 - you're not wrong there. An avalanche of Dead FM recordings - quite a few from 1971, have been released in Europe over the last 5 years or so. There was a bit of chit chat on here a few years ago about one of these - a box set of
    7 Dead shows from 1971 referred to as the Yellow Box. To me, they are in the same bag as bootlegs - they are alright if you have everything officially released and want more on cd or vinyl, but they aren't up to the standard, sound wise, of Dave's Picks or anything released on here. I would replace any of one the shows in the Yellow Box if it was to be released as a Dave's Picks.

It's not just the Dead that have shows released in this grey area, of course. A heck of a lot of live Pink Floyd from 1970-1972 has also been released recently. Again FM recorded shows mainly. The same seems to apply - not the greatest sound quality, but interesting enough. Occasionally there are reviews on Amazon, where someone complains about the sound quality - which does suggest they think they are buying something the bands in question have approved. Which is clearly not the case.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

11 months 1 week

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html