• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....I think I'll be just fine.
    Unsure regarding some of you. Hairs will be split lol.
    Unless. It's not 11.20. Or is it 20.11?

• hb672
    Default Avatar

If it really is going to be 11/20/71, I recall it was broadcast live on FM radio. I was a senior in high school living in the LA area at the time and just getting into the Dead (Dark Star on Live Dead did it - with some help from the orange). My friends and I were at a house for a typical party (beer, weed and in search of the allusive females). The concert was on the radio and we were not really listening to it but we all kind of enjoyed it.

Turns out a friend of mine had his reel to reel going and caught the Truckin-TOO-Ramble on Rose part. We listened to this a lot and thought it was fantastic. I guess most (if not all) the concerts on that tour were broadcast live so I expect some other releases down the road (Dave's 79?).

This should be a fun companion piece to Dave's 46...both in LA a little less than a year apart. Same lineup. Someone else here mentioned they thought 46 was the highlight of the year and I would not challenge that.

Thanks Dave and all the Powers that be for the incredible releases. What other musical institution does this kind of thing? History at our fingertips.

• proudfoot

Husker Du zen arcade
    Black Sabbath first album
    Motorhead overnight sensation
    Motorhead bomber
    Motorhead ace of spades

• Vguy72

....is that Phish's show tonight in Nashville is officially their 2000'th.
    Shazam I say!!
    Oh. And trump looks fucked. As is the circus that is the GOP.
    Get that reality show crap out of the country. It's embarrassing.
    Never liked reality shows from the start.
    Shazam I say! Squared!!

• jonathan918@GD

If fall 71 is the pick, bring it on! It's kinda funny this date has been "leaked" as DP #48, as i've been spending some time with the fall 71 releases the last week or so. The 11/15/71 Road Trips release is a favorite, Absouloutly amazing stuff! A very Jerry show indeed!

I gave the 2015 bonus disc from 3/27& 3/21/72 a spin today on my walk. This is some absoultely primo stuff. If you haven't broken this one out in a while, do so! ASAP

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Yeah OBEAH, part of 12/5 was one of my first tapes. We actually learned to Play I washed My Hands in my first real band off that tape lol

• Obeah

It was actually the announcement in late 2016 (that Dave's Volume 22 would be 12/7/71 Felt Forum) that finally got me to become a Dave's Picks subscriber.

But I'm still waiting for 12/5/71. I can cite several shows that basically changed my life... 8/27/72, 2/9/73 and 5/26/73. But if we go back to '71, this second night of four at the Felt Forum is my pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. Please please please Dr. Lemieux, let this one see the light of day. The FM has sustained me all these years, but...

• Forensicdoceleven
    Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain.....

OROBOROUS................

10/26/71 was released long ago, it was in the digital download series. Second set a bit "short" but has some great playing. The October Detroit show with the Dark Star would be a good release----Latvala himself rated that Star very very highly. New Years 71 is the typical loose, fun New Years show, with some very fine moments.

Interesting that several Fall/Winter 71 shows have been released, but except for the FE mini-box nothing from April has popped up. Perhaps a box set one of these years? I would recommend second Music Hall, Pittsburgh, Bucknell (ethereal and we know it's in the vault), Cortland, Providence (delightfully crunchy), and Bangor (one of my little guilty pleasures and such fun). A Manhattan Center mini-box would also be nice.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus............

Rock on,

Doc
    Be careless in your dress if you must, but keep a tidy soul.........

• Oroborous

Hey Doc wishing you and the Mrs a speedy recovery!
    I’m glad you got another official 71!

SEEEEEEAAAATTTTLLLLLEEEE!
    Love Seattle, our last real vaca, in 2013.
    As well as many wonderful sights, a Beer Mecca!. TOO kept giving me grief as I constantly wanted to check out brewpubs. Her: “I didn’t come here to watch you drink!” Lol, ok luv, point taken lol.
    Pike place was mobbed, we did have a fine Bfast at some place there overlooking the water?

• itsburnsy

It's the best, the food is outta control. Sushi, chowder, salmon, all incredible. For out of towners, I take them to Matt's at the Market. When I'm down there by myself, there is a hole-in-the-wall named Oriental Mart. They won a James Beard for authenticity or something, been there like 30 years. Top it all off with a beer at Old Stove Brewing you got a day! Only bummer is the city started allowing cruise ships to dock at the pier (2014ish) where Pike is, and man do they crowd the place up. It's always been crowded, but now it's insane, at least until cruise ship season ends, which I think was Oct 1. Moved here from MD 26 years ago and loved it from day one, I also enjoy rain though, so.....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

11 months 2 weeks

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html