• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

6 19 76

Soooooo good

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 10 months

Fellow Canadian deadheads be heartened - DaP 34 arrived this morning in all of its new-packaged glory. Canda Post may sometimes be slow and annoying, but ultimately they get the job done!

... Speaking about killer versions of ‘The Other Ones’, I cant help but remember & think the 40 +minute versio on Dicks Picks # 23 is Primo with a capital P!
Dick's Picks Volume 23 is a three-CD album. It was recorded on September 17, 1972 at the Baltimore Civic Center in Baltimore. It contains the complete concert, except for the encore, which was "One More Saturday Night". Another Primo 72’ performance by the Grateful Dead!
Also, It contains the longest CD version of the song "The Other One" to date, clocking in at nearly 40 minutes, holy Toledo my brothers & sisters! Its mind blowing & a pure example how the dead can take a song and add to its overall sound, structure & vibe into som new forbidden fruit just waiting to be consumed into Grateful Dead’s own trademarks & style / structure & arrangements to boot! We lucky fans are blessed with a vault filled with Magic & love !
Each volume of Dick's Picks has its own "caveat emptor" label, advising the listener of the sound quality of the recording. The one for Volume 23 reads:

"Dick's Picks Twenty-Three was mastered from the original 1/4" analog tapes, running at 7.5 ips. The mix you hear was done live to two-track at the show, and the results are remarkable. We hope you'll dig it as much as we do." And I must concure, I love it!

***Track listing -
*Disc one
**First set:
"Promised Land" (Chuck Berry) – 3:39
"Sugaree" (Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia) – 7:59
"Black-Throated Wind" (John Barlow, Bob Weir) – 6:34
"Friend of the Devil" (John Dawson, Hunter, Garcia) – 4:19
"El Paso" (Marty Robbins) – 5:11
"Bird Song" (Hunter, Garcia) – 10:55
"Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 5:22
"Tennessee Jed" (Hunter, Garcia) – 8:05
"Mexicali Blues" (Barlow, Weir) – 3:57
"China Cat Sunflower" > (Hunter, Garcia) – 5:18
"I Know You Rider" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead) – 6:16
**Disc two
"Playing in the Band" (Hunter, Mickey Hart, Weir) – 18:48
"Casey Jones" (Hunter, Garcia) – 6:12
***Second set:
"Truckin'" (Hunter, Garcia, Phil Lesh, Weir) – 12:19
"Loser" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:20
"Jack Straw" (Hunter, Weir) – 5:22
"Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo" > (Hunter, Garcia) – 8:38
"Me and My Uncle" (John Phillips) – 3:16
***Disc three
"He's Gone" > (Hunter, Garcia) – 10:21
"The Other One" > (Bill Kreutzmann, Weir) – 39:07
"Sing Me Back Home" (Merle Haggard) – 10:50
"Sugar Magnolia" (Hunter, Weir) – 9:25
"Uncle John's Band" (Hunter, Garcia) – 7:22

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

got a meme yesterday from my buddy -

"Hard to believe we've already been in quarantine for an entire Grateful Dead song"

user picture

Member for

17 years

Today I did receive a CD through the post from America. It was something I pre-ordered before lockdowns and the like. It shipped on April 23 which means it took 33 days to cross the pond. My Dave's Picks 34 shipped a week later, so will maybe, possibly, hopefully arrive a week from now. Time will tell.

Pre-crisis shipping time was typically around two weeks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Yeah, this is it! That's a good catch man because I Googled it too a few years ago. I think I may have heard 15 second clip of it in documentary which I think is called Amazing Journey. That's how I know of its existence. But I did check The Kids Are Alright at the time, and unfortunately it's not the one. I even checked the Smothers Brothers TV show recording to see if that was it. I checked the Sellout remaster, 30 years of Maximum R&B box set.....nothing. and here it is. Thanks man.

And Dennis - thanks again, that Echoes sounds waaaay better than the youtube.com version. I have to double-check before I swear this but I'm pretty sure even the 5.1 works in 5.1 through my phone's 8th / inch headphone jack into stereo RCA inputs in my receiver. At first I thought it was just give me 2 track stereo in the front and the back like usual, then I was pretty sure I heard different stuff coming out of the back speakers. And of course someone wanted to watch TV after a minute and I listened to the rest on headphones.

With all of this Pink Floyd talk I thought that I would add that David Gilmour live at Pompeii is well worth watching and listening to. Damn! Comfortably Numb just soars into the atmosphere. I Wish I Was There.

@Simon Rob. I hope your Dave's follows that educated-guess timeline to you very soon. One Way or Another: This Lockdown has got to end (Reminds me of a lyric in New Speedway Boogie). Imagine that the lockdown ends and as you report back to work your new Dave's arrives as you head out the door?!?! Call out sick Rob! Stay home and safe and open a Bass Ale at 8AM while listening to your new cd. Invite Boris J over. His hair looks strangely familiar?

user picture

Member for

17 years

March 31 was my last day at work before retirement. That means that so far the first two months of my retirement have been spent in lockdown. To make matters worse the weather has been great, but at least I have a garden. Currently listening to Dave's Picks 1 which is behaving itself. No sign of rot and it sounds great. Haven't played it in a while. Next up GarciaLive 13 which is what arrived earlier today.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Great suggestion DP 19. Found a used one on ebay. First chance to listen this morning and it's everything you said it would be. Strange that Mind Left Body is separated on this but remains part of Dark Star on other shows.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Someone posted here a couple of weeks ago that these last 3 Dave’s might be the 3 best consecutive in the entire series. Of course, I had to go to my shelf to check.
If I was only allowed to keep 3, and they had to be consecutive, I would go with 9,10,11.
Missoula MT 5/14/74
LA, CA 12/11-12/69-Bonus disc!!
Wichita, KS 11/17/72
Anyone else have an opinion?? I sure hope so.
Stay healthy, stay safe.

Oops! I think that I read about your retirement a while back. Enjoy the garden and let's hope your cds arrive soon.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

Dave's # 5 , 6, & 7. 5 & 6 are 10 out of 10 powerhouse, must have relaeses. Since I have to pick 3 in a row # 7 gets to come along for the ride, my #4 has rotted away and gets excluded from this fun little game. I guess I should write down the dates, 11/17/73, 12/20/69, 2/2/70, and 4/28/78. Great idea Mr. Ones!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

17 years

In reply to by Mr. Ones

For me, it would surely be 11, 12, & 13 (unless Dave unleashes a truly phenomenal show this summer!)

#11 Wichita, 11/17/72
#12 Colgate, 11/7/77
#13 Winterland, 2/24/74

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Check your PM

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by CaseyJanes

....That makes it interesting!
Based solely on personal preference;
8- 11/30/80
9- 5/14/74
10 12/12/69
or
16-3/28/73
17- 7/19/74
18- 7/17/76

I probably like 16 the best of all, but like 5/14/74 over 7/19/74 and probably would take 12/12/69 over 7/17/76....maybe?

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Butch (or anyone) - Awhile back I combined Dark Star and Mind Left Body into one track on DP 19 so they'd stick together on shuffle play. PM me if you'd like a copy.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I was putting shows attended on my home page and noticed that I was at some of the same shows as Nappyrags, VGuy, and Good Old Grateful Dead. Do you guys remember seeing me? I had long hair, a beard, and was wearing jeans.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Experience Regina! Ha!

Now that's hilarious! I haven't watched that terrible video for years!

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Think I ultimately agree with Mr Ones on 9 5/14/74, 10 12/11-12/69, 11 11/17/72. The silver goes to 13 2/24/74, 14 3/26/72, 15 4/22/78. My second runner up would probably be 24 8/25/72, 25 11/6/77, 26 11/17/71 & 12/14/71. In each and every scenario, there just aren't three in a row that are all killers; somehow one of them just isn't there. But these are the overall strongest three in a row to me.

Most of my listening lately has been taken with the Owsley Foundation's most excellent Never the Same Way Once box of Doc and Merle Watson. Lots of repeats, but killer playing and singing from the hills of North Carolina. Wish they had done a Shady Grove, but it's all good. And talk about a great live recording! If this had been put out as a live album in 1974, it would've sold at least as much as Old and in the Way the next year.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

The first two responses are the only logical answers.

5, 6, 7 with 7 getting a free ride or 11, 12, 13.

So tonight marks the end of the E72 journey. No surprise, but over the past two months I had the pleasure of listening to 22 concerts that far exceed anything I ever saw them play live. Taking into account some of the venues, it had to be the experience of a lifetime.

4/8, 5/3, and 5/26 remain my favorites. The biggest surprises on my second full go-around were 4/14 and 5/7. Those two nudge 5/11 and 4/26 out of my top five.

In aggregate, I feel The Other Ones outshine the Dark Stars ever so slightly. Each arguably have their pinnacle performances on this tour, but as a whole I will take the former.

Honorable mention goes to 5/13 in Lille. If nothing more than they set up in a park(ing lot) if I understand correctly.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Some things can only be explained by drugs. Like the decision to make a sequel to the Flintstones movie. I suspect the decision by Grateful Dead Merchandising to market a Workingman's Dead hat, a Workingman's Dead apron, a Workingman's Dead leatherman, a Workingman's Dead jacket, a Workingman's Dead hatchet, a Workingman's Dead tool roll, a Workingman's Dead key chain, and a Workingman's (notice they omitted Dead for this item to avoid confusion) dog jacket may have been the result of a chemically induced enthusiasm.

I think you meant to say, "The Things I blame on Other People Doing Drugs"

The Second Flintstones movie. So funny.

Things I Blame On Drugs? Waking up that day, large, strange hematomas on strange parts of my body.. brand new frisbee, less than 24 hours old, lost. Looking forward to that first cup of coffee only for my old, dear friend from high school waking me up with the seemingly rude reminder.. "oh, so you don't remember what happened last night at all, do you?"

Yea.. that. coincidentally, the last time Me & Mr. Lemmon 714 ever hung out and not so coincidentally, the last time I ever saw my favorite frisbee. That was a very long time ago ..but I digress.

that... and that Flintstone's movie for sure.

Back to your regularly scheduled drums and space.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Status: ''Your item departed a transfer airport in FRANKFURT, GERMANY on May 26, 2020 at 8:01 am.''
Hopefully not to another Airport, like Shenzen, Brussels or elsewhere.
If not so, It might be out for delivery soon. Oh, I forgot the customs.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

USPS keeping me informed!
Having finally(?) left LA on 20th and then Salt Lake City on 21st I’m now told it left Detroit on 26th. Still moving east and it might get out of the US in the next month or two. Does the Pony Express still deliver?

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Interesting question about a favorite 3 DaP in a row sequence, kind of tough because some of my favorite individual releases aren't part of a favorite 3 sequence. Here's a couple runs that seem like contenders to me:
28, 29, 30 - 6/17/76, 2/29/77, 1/2/70
16, 17, 18 - 3/28/73, 7/19/74, 7/17/76

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Baltimore Civic Center, Baltimore, MD – 9/17/72’ Dick's Picks #23. As the first set of this September 1972 show in Baltimore closes, notes peal from Jerry Garcia’s guitar while Bill Kreutzmann kicks the band into a gallop, both actions emblematic of the surety permeating the playing of the Grateful Dead captured on Dick’s Picks Vol. 23, To say the band sounds inspired is to understate the precision and passion with which they play on this recording of Owsley “Bear” Stanley.

Little wonder the group next launches into a near twenty-minute exploration of “Playing in the Band.” and makes it sound succinct. With a collective confidence rooted in their innate sense of improvisation, the Dead performed like they could do no wrong at this point in their career and rightly so: having returned earlier in this same year from a conquest of Europe, their first visit to the continent, the group had every reason to feel sure of themselves. For one thing they possessed a wealth of new material to choose from, some of which Garcia/Hunter pieces, like “Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodleloo,” wouldn’t be recorded till the next year. That tune is, nevertheless, as much of a piece with originals like “Jack Straw” as covers such as “Big River” and “Me & My Uncle.”

As with their grasp of composition, The Grateful Dead had elevated the sophistication in their musicianship too by teaching themselves to carefully navigate that ever so fine line between structure and spontaneity. That balanced approach lent itself to memorable jamming, as in the segue from “China Cat Sunflower” into “I Know You Rider,” but numbers such as “Tennesee Jed,” which didn’t accommodate much stretching, still helped maintained the necessary overall discipline

But that’s not to say the inclination to take chances had disappeared. During the segues near show’s end that envelope “The Other One” and “He’s Gone,” the Dead performed with a purpose and this focused approach manifest itself on “Casey Jones,” as well as the colorful highlights Keith Godchaux supplied, equally on electric and acoustic piano. Slightly over twelve minutes, this robust version of “Truckin'” might well serve as a microcosm of the elevated level of the group’s chops this autumn in the early 1970’s.
Dicks Picks #23 ( 3-CD package)reaffirm the impact of its music, rendering the Grateful Dead’s progression through their thirty-year career sound all the more wondrous.
🙏❤️💀🌹
Have a grateful Day Everyone! ✌️, More Grateful Dead Please...

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sorry I woke up grumpy, I'm a teacher and can sniff out (Google search) copied work like a bloodhound. Unless your name is Doug Collete and you write for Glide, copying and pasting someone else's article into a post without proper citation is not cool. Please dont do this, it is wrong to plagiarize someone else's intellectual property. If you agree with another's sentiments, use it, but put their due credit, especially when its multiple paragraphs. If you are Doug then I'll shut my assumptive mouth, cheers and nice writing.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

That's me just had a card through my door demanding £13.52 to arrange delivery of my Dave's Picks, for the second time (out of two) this year. I can see a pattern developing here. It looks like it's no longer going to be affordable for me to subscribe from the U.K. in future. :-(

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Just received the limited edition t shirts for this pick, wow, are they nice, perfect fit and awesome design, hope any and all who wanted one got one cause they are sold out now.
Gave a good listen to this pick yesterday also, nice 74 sound, great recording and love the set list. Love the let it rock on this release, too bad the boys did not play this one again, what a great tune and done very well. This was the first seastones, I bet those people in attendance were like, wtf is that, short but sweet and very experimental. The second set is just great, that jam>ship of fools is to die for and I can't remember another time when they went out of Around and Around into Dark Star, very different. Love the Casey Jones encore. Lots of love for the big river and the other cowboy songs on this release. I have not listened to the bonus yet, but I know it will be hot.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I think the Zap-Man covered this in a song.

And the cocaine decisions that you make today
Will not be discovered till it's over 'n' done
By the customers you hold at bay

BTW Mham-man and shows you've been to.

You asked about remembering see you there. Long Hair...Beard....Jeans.

I saw you there. Would it have hurt to have gotten a hair cut? A beard trim? Did your mother know you went out with holes in those jeans? I bet she would've been proud, huh?

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Watching an old movie last night "Till the End of Time", (Dorothy McGuire, Guy Madison & Robert Mitchum), but in this movie they used the term deadhead. It meant a water logged log that floats with just a little head sticking up. Never noticed that in that movie before.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

my 18 year old self remembers a little joke

A man at a bar noticed a guy at the end of the bar with a head the size of a tennis ball.

"Wha'appen?"

"Well, I was stranded on an island. Weeks went by. One morning a stunningly beautiful mermaid appeared just offshore."

"Hi there, handsome. I can grant you three wishes", she said.

"Really? OK! Number one, I want to be back on the mainland."
"Granted..."
Number two, I want to be in a bar so I can get hammered."
"Granted..."
"Number three...you're so hot...how about a little head?"

BAM, all three wishes were granted.

When I first saw some of the merchandise being offered. . .. I thought "have they lost their minds-body-jam!!!" Next I thought maybe they did their market research and in fact are marketing geniuses. Dead.net are the Next MadMen (TV show, series). I think they would make great "Gag" gifts from one Dead Head to another. The axe really should be limited edition and numbered.

Can you imagine the customs charges on the axe to Europe? Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

I am waiting for a news story from Europe that says a postman/customs official got chopped up after an exorbitant demand for a customs tax for The Working Man's Dead Axe! Well, afterall, it was the two years into the Lockdown when it finally arrived. Quarantine-Crazy-Syndrome. "He was a quiet man" said the newspaper. Neighbors say that if you listen closely. . .. that in the wee, small, hours, of the morning you can hear the man screaming "Lizzie Borden."

user picture

Member for

17 years

Yesterday I was trying to get my dog walked before the rain came, but per usual, as soon as I got about 15 minutes out on the walk it started to rain, not too heavy, but a nice spring shower. I was wearing a Cats Under the Stars shirt. I'm at Sheffield and Diversey and a guy in a jeep with his window rolled down stopped in the left hand turn lane says something to me.

I can't hear him because my earbuds are in and Bobby's trying to transition to Dancin in the Streets on 6-10-76. So I pull out my earbuds and look at the guy again and he's wearing a tie dye. He says something about me being on a mission. I didn't quite hear him so i just smiled and nodded and he waved. Then 5 seconds later I realize he said "Walking along in the mission in the rain". Whoa. What are the odds that this dude knows Mission in the Rain and quotes it to me while its raining while I'm listening to one of the 4 shows out of 2,500 where they played it?

Cosmic.

Carlo, thanks for the pic tip. Hopefully its working....

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

My son just had his online English final for his English class at his Catholic high school. Analyze a poem was the assignment. “Box of Rain” by Hunter/Lesh was the assigned poem.

Very nice! Carry on all and be well! We are everywhere!

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

DEADEGAD: 😃

Slow Dog; radio I Ching!
We are everywhere.....avatar looks good!

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by joebacons

Unfortunately, this is the price you have to pay to have the disc delivered. I think that the Royal Mail have become more insistent since we left the EU, they don’t seem to let stuff through like they used to.
Personally, I’d welcome the payment demand since it would mean that the cd was in the UK. Mine is still a long way from my home.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ha..

Careful with that axe, Eugene..

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

DaP 8 - 11/30/80 - Fox Theatre - Atlanta, GA - Only Matrix - Return of the electric Birdsong - Superb Scarlet-Fire -
DaP 9 - 5/14/74 - Adams Fields House - Missoula, MT - Great WRS & Dark Star>China Doll - Hauntingly beautiful
DaP 10 - 12/12/69 - Thelma - Los Angeles, CA - Long 69 show with an Alligator & Caution...Lots of Pigpen

3 very different versions of the band. If you played these for someone who has never heard the band, they might be surprised to find it is the same band. Me and My Uncle is the only song played on all 3 and only a handful of songs overlap from 8 & 9.

This was almost as easy as picking my 3 favorite (in a row) from the Dicks Picks series, which would be 15, 16, & 17 for the same reasons. 3 very different eras. DP15 (9/3/77) is one of my favorite Dead shows ever. The energy at this show is ridiculous. I'd pick this show over Cornell anyday , or any other Spring 77 show for that matter. YMMV. DP16 (11/8/69) might be the most jammy show they ever played. DP17 (9/25/91) is just a great Bruce/Vince era show. Love that Terrapin>Boston Clam Jam.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

My sense of humor can get even worse and I had to censor an additional thought regarding the Working Man's Axe. I almost posted it. Quarantine is getting to me, almost.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by mhammond12

#13-2/24/74 Winterland.
#14-3/26/72 Academy Of Music.
#15-4/22/78 Nashville.

I had to have #13 so I structured my picks around it. "Whatever's happening in the rest of the world whether it be wars or kidnappings...this is a peaceful Sunday afternoon with the Grateful Dead." One of my favorite releases period. And I get a 72 with a bonus disc to boot.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by mhammond12

… at least you didn't waste it.

Old saw about - "spent most of my money on wine, women & song. The rest I wasted"

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html