• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

What a cool show, I wish I could have been there. I hitchhiked up to Oregon in 1981 and saw the Dead on 8/16/81 at McArthur Court. The marquee on the building read An Evening with The Grateful Dead and LSD.. Ken Kesey and his friends were there with the thunder machine.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Once again, thru comments on this board, contacts and life in general. The Del McCoury family came into my musical lexicon. I have a couple of life long bud's who like their bluegrass, so of course, sent copy of stuff I've bought. I went to Del's site and they had a deal going on buy and A & B, and get 5 free! What the hell! One of the free ones was called "Moneyland", done by del & friends. I like the album.

I listen to a show on Sunday nites called "Music You Can't Hear on the Radio", it's out of Princeton, NJ (WPRB). The same guy has been hosting this show like 40 years now. I've been listening 25+ years. Over this time I emailed to him and he usually gets a copy of what I have. I've won tixs on his show and have been to the same concerts (no I've never "MET" him, odd since when I was in Jersey, he lived 15 miles away!

Anyway I sent him a copy of this album "Moneyland", he came back and told me of John Herald. Another name unknown to me. Said John wrote the title tune (and they spelled his name wrong on the album!) But gave me a link to an article he wrote back in 2005 right after Herald died. Thought bluegrass fans would like the article, I was moved and informed.

https://veryseldom.com/JohnHerald.php

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

Bolo, were you the guy in the graveyard setting off fireworks after the show?

It would be wrong to judge the events concerning the police's action without formal investigation. But it is surely essential that their actions, and the system from which they operated, should be reviewed as soon as possible. Failure to effectively do this could lead to more violence, which would be a tragedy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

At around 1:57:08 Vince can’t keep up with the strangeness and stops playing and lights a cigarette and sits there.
Considering that The Tubes were not a psychedelic jam band, Vince may not have been the best choice.

And MIDI.....
What a terrible decision to incorporate that garbage into GD songs. Worse than Brent’s plinky keys.
Vince sometimes would play plinky keys too, but he used MIDI instead of his kid’s Fisher Price piano.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

Thanks for the post, great song , great band! I saw this band play a couple of shows at the Warfield Theatre in November of 1987, very cool.

I have a few CDs of his music, mostly from Stockhausen Verlag . One of these ‘Elektronische Musik 1952 - 1960’ contains Gesang Der Junglinge. It’s a fascinating piece. The booklet with the cd has a long explanation of he construction of the piece which I have tried to read on several occasions but I’m simply not clever enough to follow it. I just listen to the music.
Cornelius Cardew, a sometime member of the group AMM, who had studied in Cologne with Stockhausen in the 50’s wrote a book ‘Stockhausen serves imperialism’ in the early ‘70’s although by that stage Cardew was a card carrying member of the Communist Party. A few years later he attempted to get David Bowie thrown out of the Musicians Union as a fascist.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I agree completely with the first part of your sentiment - the police must be held accountable for their actions, which appear to be completely and unequivocally wrong and illegal with regard to killing George Floyd. They are entitled to due process, the same as any accused, but the facts at this point appear pretty damning. The concern I have is the implication of the second portion of your post "failure to do this could lead to more violence", which seems to implicitly assert that the resulting violence against innocent third parties is somehow justified if certain self-appointed, officious intermeddlers decide that the results are not coming fast enough, or with the result that they wanted. This is the same mindset that used to justify lynchings. If you are ready to condone, or justify violence against people by proxy, i.e. I am angry at the police, I can not engage with the officer responsible, so I will destroy the property and perhaps livelihood of some random, unrelated third party as a substitute, this is the start of a dangerous path. Take a look at some of the attacks against vehicles by the "protesters" and ask if this is justified or can in any way be connected to the tragedy involving George Floyd. What culpability did those commuters have for the situation? Maybe google Reginald Denny and check out some historic video from the 1992 LA Riots and consider how you would respond if it were your vehicle attacked. Spoiler alert, don't get out of the vehicle.
At this point the police officer who put his knee on George Floyd's neck is in jail facing a homicide charge. Unless you suggest lynching him, there is not much to be done at this point but to see that the case is properly addressed. He is entitled to due process, the same as anyone accused of a heinous crime. The other officer's involved are not charged yet, but they are clearly not out of the woods yet, and if I were a gambling man, I would bet more charges are coming. The whole situation is a tragedy that is compounded with every loss suffered by an innocent third party, loss that has already resulted in the loss of several additional lives.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...nice post my brother , speaking of JGB in NY & anniversary’s & holidays, I saw JGB perform at the old Roseland Ballroom which is sadly closed down. I saw,witness’d, participated and rocked with the best of them. a many pf Primo bands & performers over the course of the presentations & concerts me starting as a young child taken me by my uncles side & his gang of groupies &friends.
Roseland Ballroom
New York, NY
USA
Jerry Garcia Band
May 31, 1983
SET LIST
SET 1
Rhapsody In Red
They Love Each Other
That's What Love Will Make You Do
Valerie
How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Run For The Roses
SET 2
Harder They Come
Mission In The Rain
Mississippi Moon
Tangled Up In Blue >
Gomorrah
Deal
ENCORE
Midnight Moonlight

Used to listen to Music You Cant Hear On The Radio every Sunday night back in the late 70's. John Weingart, god how old is that guy now. Saw John Herald at The Forest Lodge up in Warren NJ back in the 70's. My buddy and I and our girlfriends at the time were the only people there. Good show real friendly guy, had a good time. I guess his most popular work was with The Woodstock Mountains Revue " More Music From Mud Acres" good album if you can still find it. Artie & Happy Traum, Bill Keith, Jim Rooney, Rory Block, Eric Anderson etc.

Zappa and "Trouble" makes me think of Trouble Every Day

TED makes think of current events

Current events bum me out

Bumming out makes me grateful for the GD

the GD makes glad I live in a "legally green" state

Living in a legally green state makes the GD all the sweeter

and makes the downer parts of life more tolerable

You go around only once in life
So you might as well go around baked

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Outstanding Dark Star => St. Steven => Eleven => Lovelight (compliments of Uncle Gary). The Dark Star that kicks it off is pretty solid '69 fare, but the William Tell section of St. Stephen and The Eleven are really top shelf. Also one of the best earlier Lovelights I've heard, weighing in at a comfortable 15 minutes. It would have been cool if they had released this (and more) as a second "extra" disc, along with the additional tracks from the 24th - 26th that they put out on the 50th anniversary Aoxomoxoa.

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Nothing better on a sunny day!!!! Brings back memories of driving down Lakeshore drive from Evanston to Chicago at my girlfriends back in 1987!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

No, Charlie, I didn't mean to suggest that the violence would be justified if a review did not take place. My full sentence was.."Failure to do this could lead to more violence, which would be a tragedy."-you missed out the last 5 words! But maybe I should have been clearer. I was trying to suggest that more violence might be on the way if the police didn't hold a review etc. I wasn't suggesting that it was right that their could be more violence-just that the police needed to handle the situation carefully to prevent things getting out of hand.

To give a frivolous analogy...in the 1970s, if you went up to a group of Manchester United supporters on Saturday night, and told them you supported Manchester City, you would have run the risk of spending Sunday in hospital. Not deserved...but you could see it coming.
I don't think violence solves anything, as it goes.

Colin...that's the same cd of Stockhausen's music that I have. I don't understand the booklet, either!

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Charlie, everything you're saying about the rioting is true, imo. It does terrible things, mostly not to those who inspire it.
But Black people in the USA live in a world where Police encounters that don't kill White people DO kill Blacks. Constantly. Between each of these events that gets into the media cycle, there are more that go unpublicized. The powers that be condemn this, and promise to remedy it, but it never stops. There is talk, there is kneeling, there are petitions, even legislation... and it never stops.
White people can face this issue (Cops killing Blacks) by discussing morality and justice. Black people just want it fixed. Reasoning with the powers that be has not done the job, so now comes using fear. As the LA Riots chant went "No justice, no peace". It's not "right", it's destructive and indiscriminate, but it seems like the human move.

These riots shouldn't be happening, but our Police Forces should have been made killer-free years ago. Two wrongs don't make a right, but one wrong will lead to a second wrong.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Good posts. I suspect we have more overlap than differences on this. I just suspect that these protests are going to move things backwards towards ever greater polarization and violence, rather than forwards towards peace and harmony. Seems ironic that the first federal law enforcement fatality resulting from the protests was black.

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by stoltzfus

Yes, sounds like most here are more in accord than not. I’ve always wondered not so much why people riot, but why do they always mess up their neighborhood, makes no sense? And like I think Charlie was implying, why would you blow up or burn down your neighbors house, car, or business. There on your side! Personally I don’t dig violence, but if your going to fuck shit up, fuck the mans shit up, not your friends and neighbors! I’ve never been able to grasp that?
I know most of this starts out as peaceful protest and some dipshit does some adolescent nonsense and there ya go, off to the races...but still.
More importantly, we have a serious police state systemic problem. Sure one can argue that people aren’t reacting well, but you can’t lose sight of the greater pathology that’s the antecedent to most of these unfortunate situations.
Is it just me or did cops way back when purposely not use kill shots when possible? Now they shot to kill for anything, and they seem to significantly use excessive force as a matter of fact. Either they’ve become less brave or they’ve been taught much differently? It seems like the methodology, training, and recruitment processes, along with a continuous cultural shift towards full acceptance of the police state, have brought us to this unexceptable, complicated, cultural and societal nightmare. But like Charlie was saying, is blowing up your neighborhood going to help anyone but the contractors who’ll rebuild it? One could argue in fact it helps the very police state by illustrating just how lawless we all are and thus how much their excessive power is justified...
The worse part is how both sides have to politicize EVERYTHING! For Fugs sake! Ok, sorry, enough, as usual there was actual civil discourse here so I felt comfortable throwing in my 2 cents....what a concept!....comfortable free speach!
Ok, now back to Bitches Brew.....

Oh, yeah, TOWLIE! If I didn’t have this sweet self portrait for an avatar then by god I’d have TOWLIE, lol.
My favorite celebrity of all time! It’s a shame what happened with the Xmass Pagent...
Hey, I think that clip of inspector TOWLIE could be Stoltzfus dream job....hey, we’re all good at something!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Hasta el Cielo - Khruangbin, their previous album in dub, sounds cool and trippy. And the woman playing bass is mesmerizing. https://youtu.be/q4xKvHANqjk
The Harder They Come soundtrack - Jimmy Cliff, Desmond Dekker, Toots and the Maytals and others, if you dig that early transition from ska to rock steady to reggae check this out, fantastic sounds.

user picture

Member for

17 years

...the great Grover Washington Jr. (Mister Magic, Inner City Blues, etc) before he went all Kenny G, LoL. Followed up next by Ken Burns Jazz Herbie Hancock edition.
...and to all, a good night!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Yes, I was in the graveyard that night, but not shooting off fireworks. That was Kesey. He giggled like a 3rd grade girl with every explosion.

I served in the Army and went to Iraq. It was shitty to say the least. I also kinda did this backwards from how it's normally done. I did DEAD shows in my 20's and joined the Army when I was 40.
Being Combat Arms, some of the only employment I was offered and pushed to take when I separated was SWAT or police work. It was almost a guarantee as far as jobs went. I declined. The last thing I wanted was to be in charge of other people...as in..I didn't want to be in any kind of authoritarian control of other people ever again. Especially American citizens.
To my point...the police forces in America are riddled with ranks of men and women who are dealing with PTSD and probably other issues. Many of our police forces should not be in positions of power or authority because their general outlook on things was tempered in WAR.
Just my two cents...
Be smart...be safe...be kind.
Please

user picture

Member for

17 years

I have just had a tracking update from UPS. The tracking entries are now:

05/29/2020 10:25 P.M. Netherlands Package arrived at international carrier
05/15/2020 5:58 P.M. United States Package departed international carrier facility
05/01/2020 11:09 P.M. United States Package processed by international carrier
05/01/2020 8:00 P.M. Fontana, CA, United States Package transferred to post office
05/01/2020 5:23 P.M. FONTANA, CA, United States Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility
05/01/2020 3:13 P.M. FONTANA, CA, United States Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations

I was under the impression that UPS handed the package over to USPS but the tracking entries from them are:

May 1, 2020, 11:09 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on May 1, 2020 at 11:09 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

May 1, 2020, 11:09 pm
Arrived at Regional Facility

May 1, 2020
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

So what exactly is the role of USPS in all of this? Who knows. At least, according to UPS, the package has crossed the pond. I assume the next step will when it shows up on the tracking of PostNL. I optimistically await further developments.

That was something I would never have guessed. So not only do a lot of people in the police have attitudes which developed in war, they also have identifiable psychological problems. This should be highlighted, and appropriate treatment/therapies considered. In my old job I came across several people who had developed addiction problems, as a means of addressing mental health problems after having served in the forces. They had become, through no fault of there own, potentially dangerous people. Both to themselves and others. One of them actually ended up as one of my colleagues - which was brilliant.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

"Street Killer"

OK check this out, I got crazy posse
I got the stupidest motherfuckin' posse in the whole goddamn city
You fuck with me I'll snatch out your car
Right in front of your goddamned bitch
And beat you down right there
I got more guns than anybody
I got crazy guns, you know, I got homeboys on motorcycles
And when we come we wearin' our blue
You know what I'm sayin'?
And I'll beat your fuckin' ass

Don't nobody call me on my name
Cause they'll get smacked the fuck up, you know
Can't put me in jail
You can't even fuck with me
Cause I'm the craziest motherfucker on the street
Don't anybody want none of this
You know what I'm sayin'?
Cause if you fuck with me or any of my friends
You'll get killed, point blank

"Excuse me sir, Officer Johnson, Internal Affairs
We'd like to have a few words with you"

Hi Simonrob,
about same here.
My USPS tracking says: ''departed Frankfurt airport on May 26: The item is currently in transit to the destination''.
UPS states: ''Package arrived at international carrier May 29!?''
To me it seems, everything is under control.
So CD should be out for delivery, but there's the customs. Hard decisions for them what to do, charge any fees or wave through.
Hopefully the latter.
Bes Wishes, G.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

Hi SIMONROB
My tracking is much more entertaining

USPS

May 29, 2020, 7:17 am
Departed
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
Your item departed a transfer airport in HEATHROW, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM on May 29, 2020 at 7:17 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

May 28, 2020, 5:57 pm
Departed
DETROIT, UNITED STATES

May 26, 2020, 5:58 pm
Departed
DETROIT, UNITED STATES

May 21, 2020, 9:28 am
Departed
SALT LAKE CITY, UNITED STATES

May 20, 2020, 4:57 pm
Departed
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES

May 20, 2020, 2:23 pm
Arrived
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES

May 1, 2020, 6:16 am
Processed Through Regional Facility

May 1, 2020, 6:16 am
Arrived at Regional Facility

April 30, 2020
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

UPS

29/05/2020 11:05 United Kingdom Package arrived at international carrier
21/05/2020 1:00 United States Package departed international carrier facility
01/05/2020 6:16 United States Package processed by international carrier
30/04/2020 20:00 Fontana, CA, United States Package transferred to post office
30/04/2020 19:56 FONTANA, CA, United States Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility
30/04/2020 18:46 FONTANA, CA, United States Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations

I guess this means that UPS have the package again in the UK. The handling around the 21st - 28th May does look a little odd

Hopefully it will turn up soon rather than leave the UK, but time will tell.

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by Colin Gould

that looks good to me. Package is on it's way to your house. The only delay might be caused by the customs.
Hope mine is coming this week (left FRA airport May 26) without any customs duty.
Good luck,
G.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Thank you for your service. It's reassuring to know people like you are serving/have served. Thanks again. Jeff

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

the police have been beating people for ages, and getting away with it. I was a victim of a police beat down, long story but the cops were called, they violated my rights, I complained, they beat me right out side of my front door, unconscious, threw me in the car, took me to the hospital, had me stitched up, then took me to jail. I shot off my mouth the entire time, screaming Rodney King, etc..., all that got me was another beating, a ride on the elevator, a slip and fall they said. Took pictures, went to court, got off with probation, for doing nothing but stating my civil rights to a bunch of violent pigs. Since then I have never called the cops, never will ever, when they show up, somebody's gonna pay.
Got gassed in the early 70's during a peaceful protest, did nothing but stand there with a sign, then, all of a sudden, the cops went crazy and unleashed a barrage of tear gas and followed that up with billy clubs, haven't been to a protest since. They will always find a reason and a way to beat down the protesters. It's what they do.
I won't comment on what is going on now, just look and see for yourself, law and order. Law will be obeyed, order will be maintained, or else.
I do not condone violence, or burning or looting, this will get you a beat down and thrown in jail for sure.

.....she lives on the other side of the Las Vegas valley. On the way back home, I did a detour and drove down the strip for the first time since the shutdown. Not a good idea. Graffiti, busted windows, people on bikes everywhere. 2/3rd of the way down, saw flashing police lights past Flamingo. Made a right hand turn away and went home. It was like out of a dystopian movie. Stay well people.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I will preface this by saying I love good people, regardless of race, religion or anything else. As I've gotten older I've tried to take the anger out of my heart for bad people who do things like the officer who killed George Floyd. I am not always successful. I am disgusted in my bones by what that officer did, and I hope he is judged quickly and punished severely.

On this site user Seth Hollander made the statement

"But Black people in the USA live in a world where Police encounters that don't kill White people DO kill Blacks."

Very thoight provoking. It made me wonder how many people of other races are killed by cops. I found this link with stats. Assuming they're valid, it appears more white people killed, it's rarely reported on mainstream news, and no riots occur. In my mind the percentages of numbers of peopele in each group killed is important to look at, but I think more important is motive. I would like to know what numbers of African American cop killings are white on African American, and what the hearings fir these cop on citizen killings are established to be. Is every one a race hate killing in other words.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-p…

user picture

Member for

17 years

Zappa wrote a brilliant song in 1966.

When leadership (questionable) takes on bunker mentality we as a people and a nation are in a world of hurt. And that’s putting it mildly.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

What a great recording, Anthem is always on my play list for my bbq and beer drinking sessions, it never gets old. I remember coming home after a Dead show one night and listening to Anthem with headphones on and I could hear the color purple , truly amazing !

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

I got a card pushed through my door today, telling me that there is a parcel at the depot with my name on it-but that they cannot deliver it as I must pay an additional £13.52 for customs charges. Pity they couldn't have given the postman the parcel, then I could have paid him today and had done with it. Much too simple! As it is-sods law-tomorrow is the first day in about 9 weeks I am actually going out to meet someone, so I won't be able to collect it and cough up the filthy lucre until Wednesday. No matter.
I am assuming this is Dave's Picks, obviously.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

Jrf68 since you saw fit to call me out, I'm not one to take that sitting down. I detail my experience to make the point that, as I have grown older and, hopefully, wiser, and due to circumstance, I am no longer in a position to fear the police or hold them in contempt. Imagine a world without police, with no 9-1-1 to call if you need protection. You'd need to be armed just to protect yourself.

Of course there are bad apples in the ranks of law enforcement, it's a mircocosm of society. You got real jerks in tech, in investment, in government, in every walk of life. I have grown past holding baseless resentment of law enforcement in general. There's no "better them than me" going on here, pal.

I really wish we could have this conversation in person, like a "telephone tough guy," it's pretty easy to call someone out from behind a keyboard. In my post, I clearly stated it isn't cool to be attacking each other here over differences in opinion, yet you chose to do exactly that in full view of everyone.

How did I suggest that it's ok or normal to repeatedly kill anyone for any reason, ever? As far as my way of life, I believe in the United States our way of life generally includes being able to walk down the street without fear of being attacked, letting our wives and children roam freely, expecting that most of the time our property should be left alone, etc. Just basic freedoms and rights that many take for granted. Yes, our way of life, and yes, I give respect to those who lay their lives on the line to defend it.

I see you claim to be a veteran of military service in Iraq and that you did Dead shows in your 20s and enlisted at 40. I won't speculate on what drove your choices, but yes, I have a hard time understanding how any enlightened being would sign up for combat arms, post-Dead. But to each his own. However, I'm going to suggest that you come across like some kind of passive/aggressive victim of PTSD yourself, pal.

Suggestion: think before you type out a scathing indictment of someone you don't know, or at least before you hit 'enter,' without any real understanding of their motive or intent. How you took what you took from what I said makes me glad you no longer carry arms in service of our nation. Maybe you should heed your own words, especially the ones about being smart, safe, and kind.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I like it better when the discussion focuses on the music.

So I think we are going to get a puppy. Not enough stress in my life at the current time. Half of the house wants a golden retriever, the other half wants a labrador. My preference is a golden retriever/Irish setter mix.

Any thoughts on breeds? Small dogs and mean dogs are out.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I was reading through some of the posts I missed and came across LMG's reference to the choice of wake-up music for the crew of Space X's Dragon - Planet Caravan. I had missed that in the news, thanks for pointing it out, nice to see something akin to good news. Pretty cool choice, really dig the sound of that song but only discovered it recently when I picked up Paranoid and the eponymous Black Sabbath albums to supplement the greatest hits disc I already had. I gotta say, in some moods the entire Paranoid album just clicks, especially that title track, but Planet Caravan blew me away as I really hadn't heard that side of Black Sabbath before. Mock away if you must, but I dig what I dig, no point fighting it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....take on a new light since 1.1.20.
And not just the GOGD ones. Enlightening.
Angry Jacks dog question. I've had a lab. Never a Goldie. Can't go wrong either way. Flip a bone. No help from me I guess. Sorry.
One of each???
Edit. 2.1.20. January gets a pass. Remember when Kobe Bryant was the big news?

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

...get one you like;) I like dogs man, they never talk shit about you, they never bring up politics or religion, they are always super happy to see you come home if you treat them right, can't go wrong with a dog. No help on breeds except to say find one that needs the amount of activity you are prepared to provide. I had Labrador Retrievers when I was young, had one that was the perfect companion on hikes, but he hated being left alone and he would wander to visit the neighbors. I've had Akitas for the past 29 years and they are perfect for me, but while I would not call them mean, they are extremely protective of their family. No, really, really, protective in the case of my current one, 'cause he adores me, but he is a baby with the family and I sleep soundly knowing he's there. But yeah, if I have guests he has to go outside or to the bedroom or he just eyeballs them and makes these low, deep vocalizations that are a little unsettling. To connect it to the Dead, my first Akita, Zeke, would howl during the middle of Dark Star. Repeatedly, same place every time.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

PM me an address and I'll send ya a copy of my DD214.
Send your phone number, I'll gladly give you a call. If not, I've sent you a PM with my number. Give me a call if ya like. Or you could take a hint from my user name and send me an e-mail.
And Led...your not my pal.
Give it a rest. You'll be healthier.

To everyone else here, my apologies for steering the conversation in a bad direction. Bye

No it caaant happen here
Im telling you my dear
That it caaaant happen here
Who could imagine
That they could freak out
In Minnesota

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html