Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners By Author Steve Silberman
    Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
    Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TN John

Mine's showing delivery tomorrow. Maybe Fed Ex will be hitting my carport right after work. I was scoping him out in the neighborhood when I took my walk after work today. Lol

• daverock

It also makes a huge difference with drums and space being there - with all that entailed - and listening to a recording at home - with all that entails. It's not going to blow my mind in quite the same way, listening to cd of drums and space sitting here quietly in my living room with just a cup of tea and a biscuit to fortify myself.

• proudfoot

April 78 drums: meh (ironic, I know, given the new release)

later on, ja, gerne.

my first show 7/18/82: the Drums section was great (the Space was greater...flying saucers, I tell ya.)

• Gary Farseer

Nice set-up. I may be buying a Klipsh 12" sub if my current 12" SVS sub is done. Do not think it is. One good thing is as one poster put a few years back "Good clean sound trumps all." No affiliation. One thing I know my system, it is usually music thunderin'.

• simonrob

I see the same, but 2 minutes later than yours at 17.19.

• uncle_tripel

...DEVIL'S Box...
    well, now
    I have a much better
    understanding & appreciation
    after having listened
    to the 1st two GOOD Ol' GRATEFUL DEADCASTS
    (1) Friend Of the Devils: Florida, 4/78
    (2) Friend Of the Devils: Atlanta, 4/78

• gratefulgerd

Simonrob,
    tracking site now shows an additional DHL Tracking-No (DHL de), saying transportation to destination Germany,
    Th, 19.09.2024,17.17 h.
    Wunderbar
    G.

• daverock

I thought that was little harsh about drum solos and Seastones too. Having said that - I don't think the drum solos in 1978 were that great - but both drums and space in the following decades were interesting. I have said before, when I saw them on 11/1/90 drums-space was the highlight of the show. I wasn't remotely in my "right" mind - be-mushroomed is the phrase that comes to mind, and on that night, all the songs - including Dark Star - were just alright. Nothing to get too excited about -pleasant enough background music. But when drums started to develop - the world came alive. Followed by space - I felt like I was living it. Back to Not Fade Away, everyone singing along - time to get your coat - or at least have a bathroom break, knowing you might never get back.

• nitecat

My box was sitting on my porch this morning, a day early!

• simonrob

Mine has finally been received at Whittier and was processed at 6.32 am Pacific Time, September 19. Its on its way at last!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Friend of The Devils: April 1978 (Dead.net Exclusive) [19 CD]

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Curtis Hixon Convention Hall, Tampa, FL 4/6/78
Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL 4/7/78
Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, FL 4/8/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/10/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/11/78
Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, NC 4/12/78
Cassell Coliseum, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA 4/14/78
Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners By Author Steve Silberman
Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

Bummer. You don't have the 1976 one do you? For some reason I didn't want that one when it came out....and when I changed my mind, it had gone. Bit of a cautionary tale there.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

live in a state where it is illegal for a doctor to prescribe opiates any longer than 7 days. They are so worried about "drugs" that they take away from any and all who may actually need these medications. I live in a state where the conservative's rule, and let me tell you, it's not kind, not at all.
I have a great vascular surgeon who has completed this kind of surgery many times so I am in good hands, well, as good as one could hope anyway, also the VA hospital just received a 5 star rating and have always been given great care there for the 12 years I have been going there. Can't expect too much more than that.
Yes, us deadheads are experienced "druggies" and I do have quite a resistance to pain meds, also I am a redhead and studies have suggested that "gingers" need more medication to stay out than non-redheads, I read that somewhere and it seems to be true, with me anyway.
When I had my last colonoscopy, I was given meds that did not put me under, so when they started the procedure, I was not out enough, and I was "uncooperative" and they could not do the procedure. Had to do the whole procedure over again on another day, which meant having to "cleanse" again, no fun. The second time they gave me a shot and I remember the initial rush, and a big smile I gave the anesthesiologists then, nothing until I woke up in recovery, early still. I will definitely mention this to the nurses. but hopefully they have read my history chart and are all ready for that with extra if I need it.
Would love it if they asked me if I wanted morphine to go home on, but I doubt that will be the case, but fun to hope for :).
Was told by the surgeon that epidural would be used for pain, and nurse said I would be out for entire operation, will be on a ventilator and nurse said my lungs will love the break from having to work during the operation, and a catheter inserted so won't have to get up for a while right after the operation.
Probably too much information there, and I really appreciate all the thoughts, comments and well wishes from everyone. Thanks again
51 in the house, Dennis set me up with a trove of listening projects while I am in the hospital, so I am ready, well, as ready as I can be. "The waiting is the hardest part"

user picture

Member for

3 years 1 month

In reply to by PT Barnum

I had a colonoscopy and the doctor told me afterwards I kept waking up so they had to administer more meds than most and I laughed and said I guess I was not a cheap date LOL.... You are going to rock this brother, no other way you are a deadhead. Best of luck brother, look forward to hearing all about it. Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

I get on here and we're talkkng about Colonoscopies, doctors, pain meds and 1976 box sets? Like the old folks home.
Anyone else find it peculiar or weird i.e irritating that on the 50th anniversary of 1974 we get - "ker-plunk" - as good as it is, a 1978 box, not a 1974 box? I mean. Not even a 1974 dave's picks release? Just bizarre. 1978? These are incredible shows from April of 78 but...the 50th anniversary? Seems like a giant lost opportunity. I think Dave has Aspergers or something. Just 'off'. Sync in bro. Sync. In.

Jamiers - I was listening to Dicks Picks 31 this morning - the 4th cd featuring tracks from 8/6/74. Truly amazing Eyes, Playing - Scarlett - Playing. The rest of the show later on a ...say it quietly...bootleg. But I agree, 1974 is a great year, only honoured so far by the re-release of Mars Hotel with it's attendant show. And Dicks Picks 12 on vinyl.

But nothing wrong in talking about health or medication, both of which crop in conversations with most people at my time of life. As opposed to PT's State, opiates - or more precisely - opioids- can be prescribed long term. But cannabis is still illegal, and last month I was advised to give up caffeine. I do cheat - in fact I had some about half an hour ago. Motorhead - alright.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by jamiers

MMMMM - in moderation.

PT - The laws concerning opioids, I think, has made it where docs shouldn't provide over 7 days (depending on state you live - not even sure that is correct.) That will have nothing to do with how long you will be on them. They just want a 7 day check post surgery. Dont know the time schedule at all, but if you are home by 7 day period you will still be in rehab/physical therapy. The doctor may need to see you after 7 days, but I believe you will receive an assessment at home by a qualified nurse or PT. Remember this, if you report bad pain, they will help. Everyone has pain thresholds, be honest with pain reporting on the 1-10 scale.

Both of my parents passed away in the last few months. Technically, they would have died by opioids. When you are that old, the system knows there will be pain. They will provide opioids to make passing more comfortable. Not going to get into it here, but I had to work with my sister on both of their passing.

I agree, not having a 1974 box was a loss - even if it had been a smaller box, say 4 shows. Maybe as the box ships we will have rave reviews and turn the tide of nursing home talk.

Again, just one guy's opinion.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

PM sent

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

... regarding the packaging of the Friend of the Devils box, but I somehow doubt it. The desire to win awards seems too strong, with the result that we frequently get boxes in absurd packaging and frequently in weird formats. This time we're going to get a drum included. Wow! We will be able to play along with Rhythm Devils! Join the band. Maybe some people like this sort of thing, but I was happiest with the Fillmore West 69, Winterland 73 and 77 and RFK Stadium 89 boxes. More than that seems excessive.

On the endlessly fascinating subject of colonoscopies, I am astonished to read that most, if not all recipients of this invasive examination are anaesthetised for the procedure. I have such examinations every few years and have always remained wide awake throughout. That way, one can watch the monitor and follow the progress of the endoscope as it makes its way ever further onwards. Luckily I have never seen the back of my teeth during the procedure. Another advantage of being med-free is that I can drive home as soon as the examination is finished, I'm dressed and have consumed the sandwich and cup of tea offered. Of course, real men don't do anaesthetics.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by jamiers

I here ya Hoss.
But besides last years HCS 73 box, I don’t think they’ve ever done any anniversary boxes. I think overall that’s good, not predictable that way. But I also think it’d be appropriate for certain years, like 74!
Maybe don’t want to run out of 74 shows since Dave was talking 20 more years…
Really curious about 60th next year?

And topics lol, well we do like to freak freely here, for good or for Ill ; )
Personally, I love all the stuff we get up too. I’ve learned more about topics both cool and otherwise from rapping here with our little family. Especially Jazz! My collection is infinitely better thanks to the kind and knowledgeable folks here.
And let’s face it, most of us ain’t getting any younger, and the support of our DH brothers and sisters is a special part of our community.
See, this place isn’t just a fan site. Sometimes it’s much more…which is nice!
So jump on in, the waters nice!

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

Let the Music pull You In...

Anyone know that one?

Listened (recorded) live over the weekend.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

in 86 I was working at a restaurant as a prep cook. Got severely scalded. OUCH. Two weeks in burn unit.

Dilaudid was prescribed. Me on that med: "Burns? What burns?"

The Munsters on telly was REALLY funny.

A commercial for chocolate chips and "lumpy bumpy cookies" had me laughing real good.

After discharge I was prescribed some med (not Dilaudid). Being at home was a lot less fun; and, they wouldn't re-up the at-home med. "Tylenol for you, bro." Bruh...

edit: "some med" was codeine, I believe.

All the best wishes for your procedure PT. A couple years ago, had to have four procedures within six months in the middle of covid, great docs, nurses and hospital key but I did begin to wonder why they kept inviting me back. They no longer provide the good pain meds to take home thanks to the Sacklers. Reading Phil's book finally, glad to see his references to Coltrane, how Dizzy Gillespie and Charles Mingus came to primal shows in the 60s. Moving from bluegrass phase to jazz, will hear Ray Vega this evening outdoors, Saturday afternoon, jazz by some old masters at a local church and later that evening, Coltrane's Love Supreme, by a trio in another church just up the road. Ron Miles last album Old Main Chapel is on the way, (his trio with Brian Blade and Bill Frisell). Frisell is about to start a long run at the Village Vanguard in NYC, for those within range. Then he will appear at the DC Jazzfest at the end of this month along with an incredible array of jazz greats.

Oro - Well said. A lot of great discussions here, on literature, the making of sound (something you are well versed in), art, aging, you name it. I cannot even list the number of albums I’ve bought based on recommendations here.

DCMVT - Great choice on the Ron Miles release, it’s a good one, and Frisell is his usual brilliant self on it. Anything by the late Ron Miles is worth listening to in my book, as his trumpet playing was understated, yet masterful. I am a fan of a lot of country, bluegrass, and hybrids (like country rock), but jazz is really special. I owe the Dead a big debt (among others, like Steely Dan) for opening the door to Jazz for me, or at least listening to different styles with an open ear.
To quote Mr Ones, “Music is the best”!

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by That Mike

most of the time.

Saw him twice 38 years ago, Friday and Saturday Night (August 29 and 30 1986), at the Blue Note Greenwich Village Manhattan.

He and his band cooked.

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by ronmarley1

That's very kind, thankyou very much - I've just sent a PM. Sorry I didn't respond yesterday - we had a power cut.

I prefer a sensible sized box. They could send the little drum separately.

Mention of Dizzy Gillespie leads on to Charlie Parker - far and away my most listened to jazz musician over the last year or so. Bebop isn't my first language by ant stretch of the imagination - but this music is dazzling. The studio cuts on Savoy and Dial records are always the ones recommended. The live ones feature more stretching out, but sound quality isn't up to today's standards. In some cases, though, that actually adds to the enjoyment. Listening to Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker at The Town Hall NYC 6/22/45 you can sometimes hear the crowd and the glasses tinkling in the background. Like being in a nightclub in the 1940's. Weird.

user picture

Member for

3 years 1 month

Vguy billy and trey just tore the roof off the place last night. I am still on that high!

user picture

Member for

2 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

I'm sure you know the June 1976 box is still available digitally?

I really think they need to start to include a digital version of the liners. I bought this April '78 box without much thought, but I think It's time I start to seriously consider digital. I used to enjoy the process of opening and ripping and curating, ect... but I think it's getting to be a bit much. Another 19 discs is pretty big right now...

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by JoeyMC

Yes, thanks, but I think it was Cnkd that pointed that out to me recently. I'm a bit of a luddite, unfortunately. I have bought very few downloads - I got most of The Dead single show downloads that came out pre Daves Picks, but I burned them to cds and have only ever listened to them like that. I really should find a way to link my laptop to my speakers and "smart" telly. But I have been saying that for years.
I do like the physical objects, with the books etc. The recent vinyl editions of shows, even though they are of shows I already have - for the most part, have been my favourite Dead purchases in recent years. The Dead at The Lyceum in 1972 being the jewel in the crown.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Glad to see people talking about Frisell, the album w/ Ron Miles is terrific. Local Sea boy, still plays some small venues around town. Nashville, and Gone, Just Like a Train are two of his best albums if you want to explore a new jazz guitarist. For something more strange, he did this album Lagrimas Mexicanas, and that she-ite kicks ash. If you can swing it, his shows never disappoint....

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

One more to mention for Bill Frisell. Check out The Gnostic Preludes. Some of the most relaxing hypnotic stuff you'll ever hear. One of my desert island picks.

On the fence about this box set. I'll probably end up grabbing one though. That summer 78 box is very good.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I think that the June 76 Box files are 24/196, which you can’t burn to CD.

Get a DAC Magic if you are going to connect your computer to your stereo.

Or get a portable music player that takes microSDXC cards, put the music files on the card, then connect the music player to the stereo.
MicroSDXC cards are pretty cheap now.

I have Hidizs and iBasso music players, and a 1TB card that holds my entire collection of commercially released music in ALAC format, and is only half full.
I connect the iBasso to a DAC Magic 200 which connects to a AXR100 receiver.
Sounds great and my entire collection is right there.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Wowza! One thing to me is clear from listening to the sample sound check. These {FL trips} are indeed a bunch of Mick & Bill shows! Gotta love it! Very heavy on the percussion with the drum "rolls" baked in liberally throughout the songs. Couple that with some of the "popcorn" high hat stuff ala Dap45 and you've got a pretty heavy carbs set. {All I.B.S. joking aside} Very common in that late 1977 into 1978 era. I look forward to getting the preorder as fast as I can gather up the (k)needed dough!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Daverock.. I have an old (Japan) cd (1986) of Dizzys C.P. memorial concert from 1965 - really great - all-star-line-up.. Worth looking for.. Also great; Gillespiana from around the same time on Verve..

Interview in Rolling Stone October 7, 2019, Frisell talks about his discovery of then current music, late 60s, Hendrix and Cream, not knowing he would later play with Ginger Baker and Charlie Haden later on, what that was like. If I could get down to the city, hit the Village Vanguard. The range and depth of his opus, who else does that. Instead maybe DSO at Deerfield. Lucky to catch Dizzy in the early 70s at his mainstay Blues Alley in DC.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I would add to the previously mentioned noteworthy releases by Frisell - Nashville and Gone, Just Like A Train - two of my personal favourites, The Willies, and Guitar In The Space Age. The latter includes his take on the Kinks’ “Tired Of Waiting For You” that is otherworldly, IMO. Also, he is like Jim Keltner, a guy that has played on so many sessions by other artists, he pops up in your collection in the strangest of places. His various work on numerous Ron Miles albums are fantastic, but the list is long, you’ll find one you like.
I wonder what a guy like Frisell would have sounded like with Jerry. If Garcia could play so masterfully with a real “out there” jazz icon like Ornette Coleman (“Virgin Beauty” features Jerry prominently on three tracks and is a must-own), he would have fit like a glove with Frisell.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

I would not know a Phish song from a fish fry, but I do check out their setlists because they occasionally throw in a VU/Lou Reed song. I also love Andy Griffith and saw they did a song by The Darlings (Dillards) in Grand Rapids. This doesn't seem to be a song The Darlings performed on the AG Show. Unless they did it while off set enjoying some of Helen Crump's fine homegrown.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

First, hoping our brother PT is having a good trip and everything is A ok!

Speaking of Frisell and Ron Miles. Need some, getting to be time for some new Jazz (new to me that is). So, expert panel, how bout listing your top recommendations for each artist, separately or together.
Don’t necessarily have to give explanations, just a list of…
Please keep in mind if it’s still available etc
Thanks!

Hell, while we’re at it, how bout some other piano jazz?
Have a nice bit of Bill Evans, which we really like.
Like Bop, but more so BITD, now grandpa digs the weird mellow stuff.
Burton/Corea Duet has been getting lots of play lately, for example…

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

Helen's Homegrown.

Recently re-acquired the Marijuana Grower's Guide. I had it in the 80's, loaned it to a friend, never saw it again.

There is a specific technique within the book that will fit me perfectly.

Not sure how long it will take to read, understand, grow. Too many pots in the fire right now.

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Danehead

Thanks for the note about the 1976 box, Cnkd. Looks like I've got some catching up to do when it comes to tech and sound systems.

Danehead - thanks also for the tip about the 1960's Dizzy Gillespie albums. I've only heard his music from the 1940's and early 1950's, which is high flying. If I was to make a recommendation from those years - one featuring Charlie Parker - the live "The Quintet at Massey Hall" would be a good one. Features other top players from the era. Explodes with energy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - If you like piano jazz, I recommend the following:
Chick Corea - “Now He Sings Now He Sobs”; “Trilogy” (3 CD); “The Musician”
Keith Jarrett - “The Koln Concert” (his masterwork). Big fan of this guy, but his best stuff is with his trio of Jack DeJohnette and Gary Peacock. A good one to start there is “Keith Jarrett At The Blue Note” (the single cd release. There is also a box set, but try this first)
McCoy Tyner - “The Real McCoy”
Bill Evans - “Everyone Digs Bill Evans”
Christian McBride Trio - McBride is a bassist (plays on Correa’s Trilogy), but he fronts a number of bands, like this trio, and their album “Out Here” features a real hot shot pianist named Christian Scott, and is a decent listen.
PS -Our very own Bruce Hornsby is a remarkable jazz pianist. He released a jazz album with Jack DeJohnette and Christian McBride (the Jazz world is a small world!) called “Camp Meeting” that is not half bad for a part time Dead member!
That’s a good start on piano jazz, but I’m sure there will be a million more good recommendations.
I’d U Boob them to give them a trial run, see what you think.
Enjoy, bud.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by That Mike

I just recently got the MSG box and the River box, and am enjoying both of them thoroughly. I think you'll enjoy the MSG box Thin. The sound is not as good as the Betty's in the June 1976 box, but it still sounds good and the shows are amazing.

Peace

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

So how many aud patches Dave? My soundboard of 4/16 has a cut in Minglewood and one in Samson. How many others? And don't you think you ought to be honest and tell us?

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Saw Christian McBride here in Denver not that long ago. He had a young set of folks playing. I liked that dynamic of giving them a platform. Nobody mentioning Oscar Peterson. I just think he’s fun once in a while.

a few more to check out, styles vary: Paul Bley, Enrico Pieranunzi, Fred Hersch, Kenny Barron, Steve Kuhn, Bill Charlap, Vijay Iyer, Kenny Werner, Brad Mehldau... some further "out" than others, stream on. Herbie Hancock. McBride is coming back in April, fortunate to see him play at Dartmouth with Chick Corea and Brian Blade. Article in today's WaPo on Zappa family history/legacy... had no clue that Tipper Gore jammed with them.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

Don't know if mentioned (or if I have already), but,

Nat King Cole, people generally think of his singing, but I heard once he was Downbeat's player of the year for 10 years.

All his stuff is great, listening to his late 30's work right now.

If you're only gonna buy one, get "The After Midnite Sessions". GREAT

user picture

Member for

15 years

I recommend Keith Tippett. Discus Records have several albums that you could check out on Bandcamp.

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

It's been nice seeing some love for this box lately.

Stellar shows

To those just picking this set up, you won't be disappointed!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

So many great suggestions for jazz piano already, but unless I'm mistaken nobody has mentioned the all time heavy weight champ: Thelonious Monk!

Maybe because a lot of people think of Monk more as a great composer (which he certainly is) than a great pianist (which he definitely was). I think the same happened to Duke.

Anyway, please check out the live album with Coltrane from Town Hall. And everything else with Trane. And everything he did with Art Blakey. That'll get you started.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

Art Tatum, Garcia was a huge fan of his.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Not the food kind of course! But anyways,... Yeah since we're raving about the Garden I've gotta chime in affirmation with others for 3/10~1981, great show. Though I would add 9/20~1982 as a personal favorite, especially for an underrepresented year. Great box set, with a big 'Deal' 1981 & good 'Shakedown' 1982.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/friend-of-the-devils/friend-of-the-devils-april-1978-dead.net-exclusive-%5B19-cd%5D/081227816759.html