Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners By Author Steve Silberman
    Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
    Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TN John

Mine's showing delivery tomorrow. Maybe Fed Ex will be hitting my carport right after work. I was scoping him out in the neighborhood when I took my walk after work today. Lol

• daverock

It also makes a huge difference with drums and space being there - with all that entailed - and listening to a recording at home - with all that entails. It's not going to blow my mind in quite the same way, listening to cd of drums and space sitting here quietly in my living room with just a cup of tea and a biscuit to fortify myself.

• proudfoot

April 78 drums: meh (ironic, I know, given the new release)

later on, ja, gerne.

my first show 7/18/82: the Drums section was great (the Space was greater...flying saucers, I tell ya.)

• Gary Farseer

Nice set-up. I may be buying a Klipsh 12" sub if my current 12" SVS sub is done. Do not think it is. One good thing is as one poster put a few years back "Good clean sound trumps all." No affiliation. One thing I know my system, it is usually music thunderin'.

• simonrob

I see the same, but 2 minutes later than yours at 17.19.

• uncle_tripel

...DEVIL'S Box...
    well, now
    I have a much better
    understanding & appreciation
    after having listened
    to the 1st two GOOD Ol' GRATEFUL DEADCASTS
    (1) Friend Of the Devils: Florida, 4/78
    (2) Friend Of the Devils: Atlanta, 4/78

• gratefulgerd

Simonrob,
    tracking site now shows an additional DHL Tracking-No (DHL de), saying transportation to destination Germany,
    Th, 19.09.2024,17.17 h.
    Wunderbar
    G.

• daverock

I thought that was little harsh about drum solos and Seastones too. Having said that - I don't think the drum solos in 1978 were that great - but both drums and space in the following decades were interesting. I have said before, when I saw them on 11/1/90 drums-space was the highlight of the show. I wasn't remotely in my "right" mind - be-mushroomed is the phrase that comes to mind, and on that night, all the songs - including Dark Star - were just alright. Nothing to get too excited about -pleasant enough background music. But when drums started to develop - the world came alive. Followed by space - I felt like I was living it. Back to Not Fade Away, everyone singing along - time to get your coat - or at least have a bathroom break, knowing you might never get back.

• nitecat

My box was sitting on my porch this morning, a day early!

• simonrob

Mine has finally been received at Whittier and was processed at 6.32 am Pacific Time, September 19. Its on its way at last!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Friend of The Devils: April 1978 (Dead.net Exclusive) [19 CD]

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Curtis Hixon Convention Hall, Tampa, FL 4/6/78
Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL 4/7/78
Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, FL 4/8/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/10/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/11/78
Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, NC 4/12/78
Cassell Coliseum, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA 4/14/78
Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners By Author Steve Silberman
Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Don't know how they decay, but I know Dead.net will not be replacing any defective CDs from 8-10 years ago. They just don't keep that many extras around due to the limited edition.

Cds are digital. The digital music is encoded to the CD. Standard CDs are all 16 bit. The Dead releases since 2000 something are 20 bit HDCD.

SACD and DVD audio are 24 Bit multi Channel and both are great to listen to on the right equipment.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Early discs were cut rather than molded after a while some would start to delaminate allowing in air contaminating or oxidizing the aluminum. I have only experienced a couple out of the 9000+ discs I own and those were from the very early 1985/6 period. My Clapton box from 86? Is still outstanding. Just listened last week. Of course improper storage exposure to heat and possibly humidity probably has negative impact

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Yeah I mean it's not a storage issue or a consumer-error issue ... something's wrong (something's not quite right) with the way the discs were made ... and of course they don't have replacements 10-years later, but it takes years for the issue to manifest itself, I'm just describing an unfortunate reality ... Kinda like the Summer 73 box set was unfortunate due to the glue all over the discs, requiring an intensive rescue effort, and requiring alternative storage ... I mean, of course not every single customer has experienced these issues ... but many have, again that 46-page Hoffman forum is essential reading for this topic, zeroing in on early Dave's discs ... Hopefully the April 78 box will not come in too-tight oversized cases with glue on the discs ... the CDs should last a lifetime. It's all good tho, just get those early Dave's discs remanufactured and distributed to customers in one-to-one swaps for the defective discs, and I'll be sound as a pound, baby.

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by dissident1980

With, hopefully, about 15 years left on this planet, that's not asking for too much !

Correction,
My Song Remains The Same Soundtrack audio Blu-ray did not suffer disc rot.
With a magnifying glass I could see cracks spreading out from the center hole and into the data.
Possibly small cracks that got bigger as the disc spun.

Edit:
Also possible that I caused the cracks trying to get the disc out of the holder.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I checked out the discussion at Hoffman Forums.
A few people report defective DaP’s 1-4, and other releases from GD as well as other bands.
Nobody really reports how they stored the CD’s or how much use/abuse each CD got.
Some mention playing in the car CD player.

A lot of the CD’s in question came from the plant that marks the CD’s as 2Uxx, with xx = various letters and numbers.
2U is plant:

2U - Specialty Records Corporation / WEA Mfg. / Cinram Manufacturing, Olyphant, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
(that’s from a Pink Floyd fan site)

Current owner is Cinram.

Google ‘CD SID mould code’ for more info.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I have terrible problems with GD cd pressings - not only with the problems associated with exceeding the Philips red book specifications regarding length of cd but with time itself! The older ones are giving up.
I have told Rhino and I get no response

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Conekid,

Did that Steve Hoffman site also state when the Shorelines Beacons box will be released?🤔

Bells Octoberfest finally hit shelves this week in MN. Looking forward to some this weekend.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Enjoy the Octoberfest.
I’ll get some once the Oberon is gone.

I think that the Halaskawaii Box is being pressed at the 2Uxx factory.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

I'm 55, still buy cd's. Like having a physical copy as a backup. Always burn into iTunes immediately, and then archive on the music shelves. Man, the shelves are getting fucking full...

I have gone back to some of the first cd's I ever got, in the later 1980's, like "Eagles Greatest Hits," and believe it or not they still play. As the greedheads have found ways to make everything smaller, and thinner, and shittier, from socks to garbage bags to - you name it - they found ways to save a few pennies on cd manufacturing as well.

These are first world problems. I have a desktop tower with two hard drives that mirror each other courtesy some software my computer guy installed, so if one crashes the other still has everything, and then there's a full cloud backup.

Feats don't fail me now. Fuck Dump.

Last five:

The Rolling Stones: Tattoo You (expanded and remastered)
Thin Lizzy: Dedication
Aerosmtih: Done With Mirrors
ZZ Top: Deguello
The The: Mind Bomb

\m/

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

First off belatedly,.. Happy Birthday Donna!
Secondly, why haven't we seen a re~release of the Keith & Donna solo album? I'm pretty certain of it's release on Grateful Dead's Round Records, 1975? I am not sure the status of their post Dead album, 1979~'80? They were called the "Heart of Gold Band" at that time.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

In reply to by LedDed

Anthony Burgess wrote that back in 1971 in an essay titled is America Falling Apart? "They" want you to spend, spend, spend. . .. Like a drug dealer on a street corner. My HP printer ink cartridges are truly Highway Robbery! If you buy "non-genuine" replacement cartridges, the printer seems to self sabotage itself and self destructs. The "work-arounds" do not always work either. Ugh!

Oktoberfest? Love it. Fond memories of Heidelberg Germany, Heidelberg Herbst, etc.. Fun Fact: In Heidelberg in the Odenwald opposite der Altstadt, an outdoor stadium was built for Adolf, yup, that guy, but he never actually spoke there. The Good Ole' GD wanted to play there but the Burgermeister denied them the permits. It is called the Thingstaette and can be seen on Google earth.

Happy Birthday to Donna!

Looking forward to giving them a listen.
Will have to try to get the first trip through the Box completed before I get busy watching hockey.
Yeah, I mentioned hockey. New season is on the horizon.
Let’s go Red Wings. Hoping that Yzerman can put together something good this season.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

....excuse me. Getting geared up for some Miami Dolphin action.
I'm feeling pretty good about this season.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Vguy72

….sorry, we’re in fan training camp ; )

Think the Bumbling Bills are gonna crash this year, but maybe the Sabres will be good?…and the Leafs…sigh….

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 10 months

I had read about the disc rot and so far have avoided that disaster. I wonder how people are storing them and if it is a contributing factor to the issue? I have Dave's 3-8 and all have been play tested within the past couple of months. Still play fine, but I'm wondering if I will be a victim of the rot at some point. I have them all stored in their original cases in a resealable 2 mil archival sleeves--hoping to protect the cardboard case, but wonder if it could cause issues by having them "sealed?" Anyone have an opinion on that, or know from experience whether it's a good idea for long term storage? I know what my solution should be--rip them all to an external drive and back it up. But haven't done that yet.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Charles In Charge

....so, I busted out my Sgt Peppers CD which I bought in 1987. Still plays.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

I was listening to my Road Trips copy disc one of September 90 MSG in the car the other day and during Playin' jam it just full-on stops.

Then I started Playin' again and it worked.

Then later on in the disc on another track it stopped again.

wha'appen?

Rot or not, that boiled my snot

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

1) play in a car CD player.
2) store them in your hot car.

Rhino wrecking your CD’s
1) poorly designed paperboard holders
2) filling the poorly designed paperboard holders with excess glue.

Making multiple backups on HD’s is a good plan.

user picture

Member for

11 months 2 weeks

...disc rot, or whatever it may be
one disc (graphics side) from 2011 Road Trips began to delaminate,
small thread of coating on edge, pulled it off along entire edge of disc, NFG,
no more playback

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

I play my CDs in the car daily; it's going to happen no matter what. Best sound system I have, and I can turn it up as loud as I want. No kvetching from Mrs. Grumpkins.

That said, I don't store CDs in the car. I have a lil' carrier I carry back and forth.

As the Pranksters would say, "Nothing lasts".
The Road Trips incident was the first of its kind.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Beep beep yeah!
When I still drove often, I’d sometimes make a CD road copy, often trimming the fat so to speak (Drums, Me & my uncle etc lol). Now, new discs go directly to ripping, then onto the shelf for backup, in chronological order.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 10 months

Well I just need to jump on the rip and store bandwagon. I don't play them in my car because I know I wouldn't handle them as well (it's tough to put CDs back in a trifold case while trying to shift gears). So all my Dave's stay in the house. I did notice Dave's 4 have some of that peeling on the edge, leaving little plastic peels in the case. So my days of playback on that one may be numbered...

I'm wondering if/when Dave's will be available on streaming like Dick's, Road Trips, Downloads, and most other major releases. Seems like the 25,000 limit is too much, takes them forever to sell out. How about remove the numbers, press 15,000 initially with the option to produce more if those sell quickly and make them available for streaming? I, like some here I'm assuming, would still buy the CD to have the hard copy version. I will never not buy hard copies, CD and vinyl both. This streaming option would make my disc rot problem more palatable knowing I can still listen even if my disc fails me.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Had a bunch of CDs finding new homes without my consent, but when it happened to my Hundred Year Hall cd and it was OOP before E72 Box, I made a vow to always make a copy - so have two 500 cd binders full of Road copies that had the TDK printable CDRs with cool fractal artwork of releases and copies from the archive when you could download shows. I'd just grab a few and put them in a small travel case and if I'd want to turn someone onto a show, had no problem parting with them...

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

This day in GD History played first set from BCT 8/24/72 two days ago. Very moving to me to hear it, this was the show that I got on the bus, flying high as a kite during Dark Star>Morning Dew. Ah memories!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

Yesterday 12-12-69 Caution was playing loudly as I was barreling down the highway and as I approached a construction zone there was a big sign flashing “CAUTION”.
Then I entered the construction zone and Feedback started.
Awesome!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

I LOVE when stuff like that happens

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Just heard he passed as I was about to play the FOTD deadcast. Bummer...

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

In reply to by boblopes

RIP Steve, a true intelligent voice in the deadhead community. I interviewed him once for a video project, he was very generous with his time.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Oh no, what sad news. I was listening to him on the Deadcast just today. I bought a copy of Skeleton Key directly from him and he wrote a lovely note inside. Such a shame he’s gone.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by frankparry

RIP Steve.

They just posted some new pictures for this box. Looks sweet. Can't wait.

And speaking of boxes, I have been listening to 10/17/72 from the LTTR Box today. Really dig this show and love this box. I think the three 72 shows might be the cream of the crop of the box shows. And I love the variety you get with the 71 shows and the two 73 shows. Great stuff. Can't believe this box that was released in 2021 is still for sale.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

Wish I had ordered Skeleton from him. Hope the knee continues to get better, Frank.

From last week, Congrats Doc on your anniversary.

Has PT popped up anywhere? Much more to post, but short term memory faltering. Like 10 second Bob.

I am a Shakedown freak, so more more more.

Like an occasional Stout. Favorite beer still Newcastle. Dont drink as much, always loved it after an afternoon of sweaty yard work. Can really taste the chocolate. Only get 4 or 5 six packs a year of the top beers. Usually high end goes to steak dinners (with high end beer).

Hockey, sorta, NFL sorta, College Football - hell yeah. Got a big pot of jalapenos, Hatch Chilis, roosted Vidalia Onions, local tomatoes and garlic cooking away. After they finish, will make individual servicings with a soft melted cheese. Probably end of the line for this type of indulgence. Will I watch some NFL and NHL absolutely.

Has been a mild summer down south, but we are cooking now...

Edit: forgot tomatillos...

Edit2: Everything but tomatoes and garlic were roasted first. D'oheee

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by nitecat

I just heard the news and knew he either wrote or helped write the liner notes for the new box.

So sad. I will remember this box both for the music and for it's liner notes and the man who wrote them.

My ritual with any new GD release is first rip to file as 95% of my listening comes from file anymore. While I am ripping I always read the liner notes and any news reference, etc. It's been that way since day 1 (or did some of the first Dicks Picks come without liner notes, I cannot recall). Anyway, the liner notes get filed in my grey matter at about the same time as my first Full-Normal listen, so these things in addition to maybe the artwork, get filed together in the chaotic collection of matter that is my mind and that's the way I remember the releases.

It's too bad Steve did not live to see this box set get released.

In thinking this over, I hope/assume he remembered to hit send and get all this to Lemieux. I am guessing all that had to be passed on to the manufacturer long ago.. this could be one of the last things he worked on. I guess that makes this box a little extra special.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by nitecat

Nightcat!

BCT, never been there, but love the action inside. Cant remember maybe 1984 or so they perform two songs before drums and the songs were very extended jams. Guess I need to look in dbase again.

As I love studying the gathering of the crowd, I spent a lot of time researching BCT. Awesome venue, unfortunately that research (side show entertainment) was almost 20 years ago.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

37 years ago ago I was up in the Redwoods on the Eel River to see Jerry Garcia put on a knockout out of a show, one set acoustic, two sets electric. What a blast! What a swinging party. Hands down the coolest place I've ever seen music played. Fun times.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

The other week I was listening to a Beacon show from the June 76 box and made me think that this release will be similar. Not a lot of variation but solid playing front to back. And a style of playing that’s my choice preference with GD. So I guess I’ll continue with further oversaturating the abundance of goodies that’s making up my collection.

Regarding the artwork, reminds me of the MSG box. Initially I was less than thrilled but once I saw how it all worked together, very fun! July 78 still remains on top, though.

And my quick take on disc rot: air and air alone will erode the surface but I think it’s more of a 50 to 100+ year timeframe (unless there were imperfections with the manufacturing, which sounds like what occurred with the first Dave’s releases). If you want a permanent medium, go vinyl.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by FiveBranch

1976?!?!
Love that box top to bottom, as described.
One of the best.

I'm equally thrilled for this '78,
Its gonna be like rocket fuel on roller skates.

Also, wanted to add my sincere heart-reach for Mr. Silberman.
He was a presence who left a palatable wake in our time and beyond.
Music heals through the moments.

Be Well People.

Seventy-Sixtus

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Dead.net has a great post of the full LST interview with Steve at
features long-strange-trip-out-takes-interview-steve-silberman

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Really sad to read this here yesterday.
He's been popping up on The Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast and his discussions are always full of sight.
Dave's seaside chat for the box mentions Steve writing liner notes. We're lucky to get him one-last-fresh-time while we listen to the music. In the latest podcast he talks about how much the drums/space sequence meant to him. I'll be listening and harkening then.
Enjoy the ride Steve, we'll miss you here.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/friend-of-the-devils/friend-of-the-devils-april-1978-dead.net-exclusive-%5B19-cd%5D/081227816759.html