Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners By Author Steve Silberman
    Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
    Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TN John

Mine's showing delivery tomorrow. Maybe Fed Ex will be hitting my carport right after work. I was scoping him out in the neighborhood when I took my walk after work today. Lol

• daverock

It also makes a huge difference with drums and space being there - with all that entailed - and listening to a recording at home - with all that entails. It's not going to blow my mind in quite the same way, listening to cd of drums and space sitting here quietly in my living room with just a cup of tea and a biscuit to fortify myself.

• proudfoot

April 78 drums: meh (ironic, I know, given the new release)

later on, ja, gerne.

my first show 7/18/82: the Drums section was great (the Space was greater...flying saucers, I tell ya.)

• Gary Farseer

Nice set-up. I may be buying a Klipsh 12" sub if my current 12" SVS sub is done. Do not think it is. One good thing is as one poster put a few years back "Good clean sound trumps all." No affiliation. One thing I know my system, it is usually music thunderin'.

• simonrob

I see the same, but 2 minutes later than yours at 17.19.

• uncle_tripel

...DEVIL'S Box...
    well, now
    I have a much better
    understanding & appreciation
    after having listened
    to the 1st two GOOD Ol' GRATEFUL DEADCASTS
    (1) Friend Of the Devils: Florida, 4/78
    (2) Friend Of the Devils: Atlanta, 4/78

• gratefulgerd

Simonrob,
    tracking site now shows an additional DHL Tracking-No (DHL de), saying transportation to destination Germany,
    Th, 19.09.2024,17.17 h.
    Wunderbar
    G.

• daverock

I thought that was little harsh about drum solos and Seastones too. Having said that - I don't think the drum solos in 1978 were that great - but both drums and space in the following decades were interesting. I have said before, when I saw them on 11/1/90 drums-space was the highlight of the show. I wasn't remotely in my "right" mind - be-mushroomed is the phrase that comes to mind, and on that night, all the songs - including Dark Star - were just alright. Nothing to get too excited about -pleasant enough background music. But when drums started to develop - the world came alive. Followed by space - I felt like I was living it. Back to Not Fade Away, everyone singing along - time to get your coat - or at least have a bathroom break, knowing you might never get back.

• nitecat

My box was sitting on my porch this morning, a day early!

• simonrob

Mine has finally been received at Whittier and was processed at 6.32 am Pacific Time, September 19. Its on its way at last!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Friend of The Devils: April 1978 (Dead.net Exclusive) [19 CD]

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Curtis Hixon Convention Hall, Tampa, FL 4/6/78
Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL 4/7/78
Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, FL 4/8/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/10/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/11/78
Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, NC 4/12/78
Cassell Coliseum, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA 4/14/78
Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners By Author Steve Silberman
Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock, you can use a chromecast device to go wireless from laptop to HDMI input on your receiver / Smart TV. Like you, I went years with no way of projecting my music to the telly and stereo / surround system. It's super easy (barely an inconvenience). The chromecast device came used on eBay for ONE HUNDRED! ......English pounds. Actually it was 35 U.S. dollars, but I have Live at Leeds going now.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Has the fog lifted? All the best for a speedy recovery. And hope any "PT" for PT goes well too. Onward.

user picture

Member for

15 years

October sees the release of a 20th anniversary, 4 cd 2 BluRay, box set of ‘American Idiot’ by Green Day. How time flies.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Ya in there?
We’re all thinking bout ya!

American idiot?
I have a box set?

Thanks very much for that tip. I'll have look later and see what I can find online. I do feel I need to access music online more effectively....but I also wonder if I already have more than I can deal with just with albums and cds. Keeps me up until all hours. If I tell anyone what time I go to bed, they express surprise - "what do you find to do?" Answers on a post card. I'm not sure what I would do without music. Go to bed early, I suppose!

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Been meaning to write more/sooner, but no time…
But I’ve written all your fine choices down and after I do my initial research, I’ll cross reference with your suggestions (my usual mo).
Haven’t picked a clunker yet this way and in fact now have many of the fine selections mentioned!
I’ll report back as soon as uncle Jethro starts selling more round to its, and I git er done…

Thanks again, and always!

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

On my drive yesterday I passed the Fairgrounds in Grass Valley, where I saw the Dead in 1983. Continuing on, I passed the Boreal Ridge Ski Resort, home of the infamous "worst Dead show ever" in 1985. I attended that one too. It wasn't so bad. What I wouldn't give to see that band again.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

Yes, it was held at the Santa Cruz County fairgrounds, and what a show it was, one of my favorites.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Hi All- I have been traveling a lot this summer, but I have been lurking in the comments sections regularly. With this release, I was on the fence. So far the only box set I passed on (not for much longer) is the In and Out of the Garden. With this box, I was going to pass on it too. However I recalled the crew in these comments talking me into getting the July 1978 box before it sold out. I am glad I picked that one up. When I saw the overwhelming positive responses from all of you on this box set, I knew I had to snag it. Thankfully those codes we all got from Dead.net worked which was a nice bonus. I am looking forward to getting this one in my hands n September. Thanks all!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Its not The Sphere, but it is free if you can stay up late, meteor shower tonight.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by dmcvt

I saw a meteor the other night

It was cool

I will watch tonight

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by dmcvt

I saw a meteor the other night

It was cool

I will watch tonight

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by proudfoot

caught some Perseids and northern lights too this morning between 1 and 2 am. In a place with dark sky, the Milky Way very clear. Half way along, heard a noise, turned on the flashlight, two skunks playing down by the vegetable garden... moved away slowly.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Bell’s Oktoberfest was in the store.
I didn’t get it, instead I bought the remaining 2 cases of Oberon.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Bells Octoberfest still hasn't made it to MN Conekid. Hoping soon. It is almost mid August and they don't sell it past September. I see they abandoned the bottles and moved to cans. Enjoy that Oberon.

And when will they be announcing the Winterland 74 MUATM for this year?

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

You're right, BTK. I taped the show and labeled the cassette Watsonville, so I've thought of it as that location. Great show! My friends say they love the recording. I'm going to upload it to the Archive sometime soon.

Pumpkin?
Gross.

I do like raspberry/blueberry/chocolate if it’s done right in a barrel-aged stout.
A spectacular offering was Lizard of Koz by Founders in 2016.
They stored some kegs of it underground in the old gypsum mines (which are used as cold storage warehouses) and brought them up in 2019.
I was fortunate enough to be in G.R. at the time and have 2 snifters of it.
It was real and super spectacular.

foundersbrewing.

com/latest-news/

2016/backstage-series-release-lizard-of-koz/

user picture

Member for

10 years

Additional email sales pitch for Devils today. Added more to listening party too.
Fox, etc. but the review included from the liner notes does hint that at least one of the shows had a sub-par Jerry performance. Not sure which one he was referring to, but I guess it's full disclosure, lol.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I'd like to see what the box is gonna look like!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

Not sure where else to post this, but did anyone besides me see the article on espn.com about Mickey creating music for sports stories? Check it out if you have not read it.

Watched ca 1983 show on utoob.......looks like Mick may have just left SportsClip

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Yeah! Very intriguing ESPN films production upcoming, featuring Mickey interviewing many sports legends and scoring the soundtrack. What a trip! Yeah about that drum Jerry. I'm hoping it would be a mini 4-piece set "finger" drum, ala bongos.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I am befuddled as to how I can't find any photos of these lil dandies anywhere on the whole World Wide Web! Honestly I haven't seen any myself in like 20 years or more. They are made to resemble a set of 4-toms but miniature as to be held in one hand while drumming with the other hand using fluttering fingers. Most likely these things were sold at festivals of all kinds during that era and in area head shops. Maybe even at drum stores? Well, I am left to wonder if any of these survived the 1990s.

If you live anywhere near Youngstown, Ohio, Vintage Estates carries a couple barrel aged stouts. They have the label "Untitled Arts, " and as I understand, come from a couple different brewers. They have a Red Velvet Cake,a German Chocolate and a coconut offering. At 17-17.5ABV, they pack quite a punch. I gave my last pint for a friend to try and can't remember the brewers' names but one was from Cincinnati

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Oh yea!! Gotta take it easy with them! They come in pints, so one can is all I can drink at a time

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by kenny

....in my opinion. 17%? I like to have one more beer than just one. Thank you very much.
Probably has a syrupy mouthfeel. Blech.
That being said, currently listening to Eggy. Nice vibe.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

We hitch hiked down from Portland, when we got to MacArthur Court the marquee read An Evening with the Grateful Dead and L.S.D.. The Dead's equipment guys were unloading the trucks and they were pointing up at the marquee and laughing about it. The sign was removed as the day wore on. Kesey and the Pranksters were there with the Thunder Machine. When the show was over there were people setting off a lot of fireworks in the graveyard across the street from MacArthur Court, it was a wild scene!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

17 years 3 months

They're not for everyone. Yes they’re thick with a long finish, but they have complex flavors that keep your tongue interested.. I used to keep a glass of water to use as a chaser like I was sipping whiskey until I got used to them. I drink them as a special treat, not for daily use. Most beers I drink have much lower ABV’s.

user picture

Member for

1 year 7 months

Aside from Rock the Cradle, have there been any other officially released Shakedown Streets from 78?
They played it about a dozen times or so, I think.
Would be nice to have a few of those.
You know, because, 78.
Just saying.

user picture

Member for

10 years

A good reason to release Red Rocks 8-30, 8-31 and with all the other new songs from the Shakedown album those two nights.
Hey Dave! Release the hounds!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

we still have the 5 cd sets. Frankly Miami, Des moines, Jersey city, Dijon are much better. And it's nearly tooo much. Yes 74 would deserve more muti tracks recording? But imagine...Jerry spending 2 years cutting reels for the movie, and visiting bank managers to balance bank accounts? what could left of the original recordings?

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by sheik yerbones

Thank you for the reference to David Gans version of Down to Eugene

I had the good fortune to see the songwriter Jim Page around town a frw times

"Rockin' to the rhythm of the roll"

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Yeah, the Giza show is it I believe, for the song Shakedown Street, and a damn fine version of it too! Contrary to the funky Brent style of the song, K&D's vibe for that song at Giza was way more euphoric & jazzy as it segues out onto the wind in the sandy desert night. I myself have been jonesing for some of that same era within the later Keith & Donna era. As far as Dave's Pick's go. With this here (Kathy Bates voice from 'Waterboy') "DEBELZ" Box we probably won't see a 1978 pick for awhile now. Since the last one before this was DaP#37, a damn fine show with even better extras at that! All that said I had been eyeing on some shows from late year 1978, but only the ones before the WinterLand closing show. I guess Keith was not feeling it nor playing well around this time, and Brent would soon be replacing him in April 1979. Regardless there are still some impressive set lists and good performances from late '78 including 'Shakedown' & 'From the Heart of Me' amongst other songs off the "Shakedown" album. So who knows? Maybe them shows would make for a nice 'extra' disc release. Anyways the last two shows left over from the April tour are now both probably a future Dave's release for one and the other show being extras for sure. Possibly could still see something released from that early spring, thaw tour. I not know of many releases that Dave has covered from that era I know of {DaP23 & DiP18} that already???{syntax error?} 1978 also has some summer classics still unreleased, they may get out there still. Me personally I would love to see a late November, early December 1978 release with a Keith & Donna Shakedown. The song itself has only been on two Dave's releases so far, with #39 being the first, and then #47. The latter a damn good pick still available in the store, lucky for the late comers on that one!

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I forgot to mention that late December has some good shows on that 'Shakedown St.' radar frequency. Namely Fox Theatre GA 12/17/78 & Dallas TX 12/22/78. I also should've mentioned the night before NYE, 12/30 @ UCLA Pauley Pavilion show. San Diego 12/28 is another good pick for late December. Though the two late November shows back to back, Maryland & New Jersey (11/23 & 11/24) seem to be the most intriguing to me in regards to the Keith & Donna 'Shakedowns' anyways.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Five of the 8 shows in this box set were in that big batch of missing Bettys they at the vault got returned to them some odd years back. Just for reference!

user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

To prepare for the April 78 box, I wanted to listen to Dave's Picks 7 ... I have #1048 out of 13,000 ... problem is, only Disc 3 still works ... Disc 1 was fine in the beginning, then the disc became very static-y, now it doesn't play at all ... same with Disc 2 ... only Disc 3 still plays ... and I'm not the only one who has experienced disc decay with the very early Dave's Picks ... there is a thread on the Steve Hoffman music forums talking about this problem in-depth (it's called "Grateful Dead Discs Decaying and Becoming Unplayable") ... limited edition collector's items that were poorly manufactured ... there should be some way for dead.net to rectify this issue which has clearly effected many customers ... my Dave's 1 is also decaying ... it seems to be a problem with the first 2 years of Dave's Picks ... I would gladly send in my defective discs if there was any possible way to get them replaced ... anyway, just frustrating ... peace

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Just got back from dropping my youngest in Eugene for college. It is the weirdest town I've ever seen. You'll be driving through a neighborhood, and bam, a bar, then more houses, 3 blocks later, a restaurant, then nothing but houses again. There is I guess a "downtown" but even that doesn't make sense. And the U district has almost nothing, maybe everyone parties in the greek houses, I don't know. I will say though, I've NEVER seen so many aging hippies in my life!

Oh, and I've heard of the disc rot thing, mine seem fine, but they should make it right

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

Storing them in a hot car is the fastest way to ruin them.

But some are just defective.
Happened with my Song Remains The Same Soundtrack on Blu-ray audio.
It played 2-3 times and then my player started saying that the disc was unreadable.
I eventually found info in the internets that many of those discs were defective and they offered replacements. Except they limited the return window to 6 months and I bought my disc after the return period ended. Pretty lame.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/friend-of-the-devils/friend-of-the-devils-april-1978-dead.net-exclusive-%5B19-cd%5D/081227816759.html