• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

Really looks great in person. They packaged this really well. I am going to listen to the first Boston concert in the set right now. Looks like they did a great job on this Boxset. Hope everybody gets theirs ASAP !

user picture

Member for

17 years

From the tracking info shown below, it can be seen that my order was passed to the dreaded UPS Mail Innovations and they have subsequently passed it on to the local post office for delivery, still in Fontana, CA. Bearing in mind that this is an international order that is shipping to the Netherlands, I suspect that it is now going to continue its journey with USPS and then the Dutch postal service (bless their wooden clogs), no doubt with a stopover at a Dutch customs facility where presumably taxes and duties will be levied, along with an "administrative charge" which, whilst unwelcome, is less than that charged by UPS. I may be wrong, but otherwise why would UPS hand it to the local post office.

Tracking info:

03/19/2020 - 8:00 P.M.
Fontana, CA, United States
Package transferred to post office

Past Event
03/19/2020 - 7:11 P.M.
FONTANA, CA, United States
Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility

Past Event
03/19/2020 - 5:18 P.M.
FONTANA, CA, United States
Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations

Past Event
03/17/2020 - 10:04 P.M.
United States
Shipment information received by UPS Mail Innovations

Thanks Betty, ABCD Enterprises, Dave, Norman, Plangent, TPTB, Rhino, etc.

6-14 is spinning and sounds grate.

Yes, I did wipe down the outside of the box with Chlorox.

“1000 cycles ladies and gentlemen....”

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Maybe only USPS can bring stuff into Europe at this time?

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

June 10/11/14/15/19, 1976

Yes, 6-14 sounds mighty swell.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I sprayed Chlorox bathroom cleaner on paper towels, then had paper towels in each hand, and picked up the box and wiped down the sides.

You also could wear gloves and remove the Box from the outer cardboard box. The inner Box is wrapped in plastic.

I save the shipping boxes, so I cleaned the outside.
Pretty cool how the shipping box is a single sheet of cardboard that is cut and folded to make the box.

user picture

Member for

17 years

I received an email from UPS today regarding their operations during the current crisis. Nothing seems to have changed for customers except that they are not required to sign for packages. Mostly it was about precautions to safeguard their workers. Nothing about restrictions or cancellations of international shipments.

I think in general restrictions on international flights refer to people/passengers (and bats, naturally) rather than freight.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Right on ConeKid...I will confess, those are mine as well ha ha. Maybe I'll start with 6/11 though....hmmmm.
What spurred you to a 6/14 opener, just curious. That Slipknot! is one of the all-timers if I recall.

Good handling instructions.
I just got our mail for the first time in 2 days...that's another way to pull it off I suppose. But that was just me being lazy - ha.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Mine arrived this morning.
Couldn't have come at a better time.
Should make this shelter-in-place a bit less stressful (though I'm not stressing much these days).

Been wanting a June 76 box for a while now, so thanks to Dave and company for making this happen. And, man oh man, the sound quality is primo.

Also, thanks to those who have checked in on me. Some days are better than others. But for now, I'm still kickin'.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Finally got out of a long stretch of unemployment just to have my new job end up in a long term layoff with no known end in sight. Bummed. Won't be able to afford this anytime soon and will definitely be long gone before I'm back on my feet. I have the worst luck.

No doubt everybody is feeling the pinch, or soon will be. Enjoy the music if you're lucky enough to spend your quarantine time jamming out to this.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Looking it over, I noticed minor scratches on multiple discs and the booklet seems to be missing its spine. As a Deadhead of some twenty eight years (yeah, I know, newbie), I appreciate the fact that the band/Rhino takes the time to release high quality sounding shows. But for the amount of money we lay out for releases like this, it would be nice to see better quality control. Not sure who the buck stops with here, but just wanted to put this out there.

BTW, my copy is number 544, if that helps anyone.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Amen, a fine show.
Currently listening to the Dicky Betts Warren Haynes version of the Allmans- Second Set and Live at The Beacon Theatre 1992-hot stuff.
Less so the Miles Davis documentary, "Birth of the Cool." I'll try not to let it put me off the music.
I am not-so far (never say never)-getting this 76 box, but am also looking forward to the reviews which will hopefully start filtering through soon.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I had all of these shows on cassette and 6-14 was my favorite, so that’s why I went with that first.

Actually paused listening because the rain stopped, the sun came out, and the temp went up to 73. Now it’s raining again, the temp is 66 and headed to 30. I opened all my windows and filled my house with warm humid air. Now back on the couch and playing 6-14 set 2.

if PNW hasn't sold out yet, 76 won't sell out, either, at least for a while.

The economic impact of this...thing...is going to be gargantuan.

There's always the archive. Not the same as full-Normaned discs, but it's still there.

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

Good to hear from you Skulltrip. Glad you got the box and will have time to enjoy that.

Love to hear more about the box!

Enjoy the box all.

Mine is still scheduled for Monday.
Train derailment or something. They won't deliver on Saturday because it is ground service, which is Monday through Friday.
I just hope it gets here before they shut the State down.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DaveStrang

....people without tp are flushing other items down the pipes, clogging them. Trickle down issues.
Box is out for delivery. 👍

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 3 months

Package just arrived. 5 unreleased Betty Board shows! So very thankful that the packaging for this box set is smaller than a microwave oven. PNW is pretty, but the container is almost as large as the Europe 72 suitcase with 70 + cds. Less is more as far as packaging in my opinion. Thanks for the soundtrack to the next weeks at home....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 7 months

In reply to by scott Bunte

I just received my ‘76 boxset. Literally just opened it. Is the spine of the book supposed to just be exposed glue, or is mine just defective?

It is designed to have string and glue.
At least that is my guess. That’s how books are generally bound, then a cover is put over it. This just doesn’t have a cover.

07925 arrived safely. Disinfected. Discs and book seem to be fine. Beautiful weather now that the sun has come here in N.Y.C.. Summer in March! With some good Ole GD!

Of course positive vibrations, thoughts and prayers going world-wide to everyone. Like Wake of the Flood; we will survive this thing.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Seems like they've sold a lot if I got 9005. Sanitized and ready for the Heil AMT 4's to shake the floor. Bass bomb Phil!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Check your PM, yo.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

#01074 showed up today. I had it shipped to work. Good thing it came today because today is the last day I’ll be able to be here for the foreseeable future. All my musical activities have been cancelled so I’ll have plenty of time for listening this weekend.

Stay well, everyone!

user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

Beautiful box arrived today, and it is a perfect size - a tad smaller than the July 78 box, but a similar idea.

My book also has the exposed glue and string binding... I guess I don't mind, but if it was intentional, it's kinda sloppy.

Otherwise, box looks great! I hope all the CDs are ok - I know the music is primo!

Edit: Upon further reflection, I bet the binding issue on the book is a mistake. As long as the discs play well, I won't ask for a new one over such an issue, but still...

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

....it's the June 11th show....so goooood. That second set. I can only describe it...drippy-good.

That Sugar Mag > Eyes....oh man. The Eyes is an all-timer on this end. Just love that 2nd...
It is all enjoyable. Phil Bombs. Deeeeep Bass. Jerry's sweet tone. The mix.
I am counting the moments....UPS said by 4 PM...clock is a tickin'.

First IPA cracked in anticipation. 8.5% Wachussett Larry. Go Big or GO Home. Oh wait. I'm already home. Forever.
Hope All are enjoying as much as possible. This site is truly a ray of sunshine amidst cloudy weather and a wonderful place to go for a happy diversion.

Seventy-Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

LL Rain on 6/10 sounds very nice. Package very nice like always.

I hope you all get your’s soon. I have seen UPS deliver on my street on Saturday before, so fingers crossed for those still in waiting, you shouldn’t have to wait until Monday.

Sixtus, this Big River from the 11th is cooking along. Who says 76 is slow? If this was any faster they would be complaining that it was an ‘82 cocaine-fueled rendition.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 3 months

I had my 76 box sent to my work and today was the last day they would be open. It was scheduled to deliver today and went out for delivery at 7:30am. At noon the status changed to Held m. It said due to a health crisis my delivery would be rescheduled. Now at 5pm they just updated my package as return to sender in Carlsbad, CA. I really was looking forward to listening this while locked down on quarantine. I have no idea what will happen now. If they will resend it or contact me. Man in super bummed.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Poshy218

Sign up for UPS My Choice and get it held at your local UPS, or possibly sent to your house.

Edit:
Call the 1-800 number right now.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 6 months

Is anyone else having trouble loading this set on to Apple Music? It seems to be ignoring whole disks in each show. Any thoughts, help?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 3 months

They took down the 1-800 due to too many calls. I have an account with the UPS site but they never attempted delivery so it won’t allow me to change the address or schedule a pick up.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I just received my box. I won't open it until I get home. "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND".

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by bob t

I think that UPS My Choice will let you have it held at a local facility.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

Lowest number set I have ever received. For some reason they delivered it to my house even tho it has my PO Box on the label. In this case, it saved a trip, but normally, I use a PO Box so I don't have a box sitting out side to temp the passersby. I use dbpower amp to rip 24 bit and it was flawless. I started at the end, June 19th - Help on the way >>> as show opener must have been magical.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I went from bottles to kegs after a few years, and now that I brew 1.75 gal. batches, I've returned to bottling. You want Cornelius kegs, preferably with ball (not pin) fittings. There are some 3-gal. Cornie kegs floating around, and even some 1-gal. kegs that fit well in a regular fridge. I've also had luck putting the beer in growlers with carefully-measured priming sugar (and slightly less (~30% less)) than normal, and then carbonating just like in bottles. If you want to spring for a tank of nitrogen (besides the tank of CO2 you'll normally use), then you can even have a keg that dispenses with that gas.

I do enjoy XTC, especially Skylarking.

I think my box is coming via the USPS, but I saw the carrier come and go at the curbside box, and he didn't shove any packages in. :(

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Thank you. I'm going to go with the Cornelius 3 gal. And just buy a keg fridge with the post and faucet set up. Thanks for the intro suggestion. I think I will go all the way since I can now afford it. Also thanks for the ball instead of the pin suggestion. There is nothing to good for my beer. P.S.-thanks jim for the beer help too.

user picture

Member for

13 years

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Less than two gallons doesn't work well for kegs. I actually don't brew much anymore, but when I do it's all grain (no syrups), liquid yeast and as fresh hops as I can get. My house batch is a 50 lb sack of grain (why, because it's cheaper and better) which roughly yields 30 gallons of beer. I give most of it away, which can at times give me mayor status in the tiny little hippie town I live in.

So 1 sack of grain, fresh hops, yeast and water and I get either 3 5-gal kegs for a half batch or 6 5-gal kegs for a full batch. I find if you are doing all grain, it matters little whether you brew 2 gallons or 30 as far as time, and it's much cheaper and higher quality to buy materials in bulk.. so there you have my calculus. Same time input, cheaper and free beer for my friends and river rats.

If I never sanitize another bottle in my life.. than I will have lived a good life (ooops, bad timing on that comment). Seriously.. if you are going to go, go big and all grain is the way to go.

No box for me, no box for me.. god only knows where my box be...

P.S. I have a few extra 5 gal kegs for free now that I don't brew so much anymore. free, of course. If I do a batch every three of five years, that's a lot. Then again, like most reading these posts.. we might just have more free time quite soon and the price per pint if you make your own, is a fraction of buying it from the store. (and better tasting, better for you and did I mention cheaper?).

Free lessons but only if you dare the rapids that are just upstream....

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Aaaaandd Happppppppy.
It smells good.

Listening Commencing.

Sixtus

Post Script: Admittedly, the sound is immaculate. The playing is slinky and grooovy. They maneuver and utilize every crevice of each and every beat.
That organically manifests The Slink.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

>>>>>>>>>>
It is designed to have string and glue.
At least that is my guess. That’s how books are generally bound, then a cover is put over it. This just doesn’t have a cover.
>>>>>>>>>>

Just opened my box (#2126) and had the same booklet spine issue as others have reported. I believe this is indeed by design. I re-watched the unboxing video in full screen mode on my PC and right at the 1:56 mark when the book is flipped over from front to back I was able to stop playback and see that the spine on the book in the unboxing video looked to be just like what I had received (string & glue).

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Just got this box and it looks awesome, really nice box. Almost exactly the same size as the first May '77 box. Lots of detail in the art on the box, pleasing colors and a nice touch with the unusual way the box opens from the side. Packaging for the individual shows is essentially the same as the first May '77 box and the July '78 box, again, nice colors on the packaging for the individual shows, and more detailed art on each one. A nice bright spot in an otherwise lackluster day. Looking forward to diving in for a first listen.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html