• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Thanks! I was reading about this new Jimi box set release last fall and wondering if I should get it? I do have that Band Of Gypsies cd. With all of the Jimi live releases available it is hard to decide which ones to get? Yes the title: Songs for Groovy Children is kind of silly but for the others reading it is JH quote from these concerts and can be heard during one of the shows. It is cool looking box set. One of these days I will buy it and report back.

Stay safe everyone!!!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

The mastering is the best I've heard and I've been listening to those shows since Band of Gypsys came out. The tapes do have a bit of buzzing during the quiet parts between songs, I'm guessing it's the amps buzzing. The thing that's great is you can really hear Buddy and Billy. On the "big" stereo you can hear each instrument and it has real depth.
That being said, there are some tracks missing. I've heard various reasons why. I guess some weren't recorded, some were mono, but I don't know for sure. Personally I think it's about time these recording got some TLC.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Put on 6/10/76 and sat back and enjoyed. Song 11 is my favorite Mission In the Rain and it was perfect. You guys take care and try and be safe. We will ride this out. I am still working as deemed essential by the Air Force. Lots of controls in place for protection.
Good Luck
Drp Out

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

Yes - if you dig live Jimi this is a must have box. Ignore the dumb title, the sound is magnificent. Ditto for the new Cream box. It's amazing that they waited until now to release both of these but both were worth waiting for. Like all this fantastic Dead coming out, analog to digital remastering techniques have never been better. In this sense, classic rock audiophiles have never been more fortunate.

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

Hey Kids!!

Anyone have scans of the individual show covers from the June 1976 Box Set?

Mahalo

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

... absolute lay beautiful, just so beautiful!
I’ve been listening to 6/14/76 on repeat for days ; love it! Time to put on another show today! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by LedDed

The new Live Cream cds is another purchase that I've been eyeballin'? I have both Vol. 1 & 2 plus some bootlegs from DimeaDozen but the deluxe treatment with this official release is tempting.

And yes -- what took them so long?

Another band that I would love to see release more official live cds from the past would be Hot Tuna. I still can not believe that Hot Tuna does not allow on line tape/cd sharing of their concerts at DimeaDozen or anywhere. Please Jack and Jorma were only fans trying to scratch an itch!

Thank you! This website is amazing! Gary Larson, the Pynchon of comics, gets it.

Peace

Edit: That Pynchon reference was too good to pass up. Also, 76 "Let it Grows" with the drum solo?!?! Fuggin tight, bro!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

...just ordered beer online for the first time ever...they deliver.
I don't know whether to be happy or sad.
Prolly both.

Gotta make due; the Soundtrack Beckons.
Up to 6/15 at this point...loving the vibe and *Oozy Groove.

*That would be a cool band name.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

.....has a ton on live recordings on Spotify.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Got this email from UPS which confirms that you can reroute a package if you have a My Choice account.

—————-

In these unpredictable times, you still have control of your package deliveries. With UPS My Choice®, you can tell your UPS Driver where to leave your deliveries, redirect your deliveries to another address, and receive notifications on when to expect your deliveries from UPS.

If you have a delivery location preference already set for somewhere other than your home, you can update it at any time by logging in to your UPS My Choice account using this link.

Link:
https://www.ups.com/lasso/login?returnto=https%3a//wwwapps.ups.com/ppc/…

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

Got the June 76 today and so far it sounds great. Very Nice packaging but I have only one complaint. The book that came with it has no spine and will fall apart. It looks like this is a defect and hopefully not the way they designed it to be. Anyone else have this issue ?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

If you type 'Jimi Hendrix Songs For Groovy Children Missing Songs' into your search bar, you'll see the missing songs. I recall reading that upon listening back to the tapes at Electric Ladyland Studios, Hendrix was furious with Buddy Miles for his 'vocalizing' during the shows, and was the reason most of the songs were left off.

A quick listing: 10 songs total if you count 'Auld Land Syne'. 2 for each of the first 3 shows and 4 for the last show. All the shows were sequenced/re-sequenced in the correct running order according to 'Super Deluxe Edition', a Box Set website.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

So far I have not heard annoying “ya ya ya” guy.
I thought I did hear him very faintly in the background once. Maybe he is only on the FM copy which might have had some AUD mixed in, or maybe Norman did is a favor and removed the guy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by BennyBlack

The subject has already been discussed below.
It’s designed that way so that it will lay flat when open.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I've only listened to the first two shows, but had to post how impressed I am with the sound quality. It's amazing that a two-track tape from 44 years ago, stored in really bad circumstances, could be brought to life like this. Congratulations to the whole tech team and, of course, Betty.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Remember this moment.. March 21st, 2020. Thanks to Sixtus, this day marks the exact moment we realized we never have to leave the house again..

Great to hear about the sound quality. I knew three things when this release was announced.
1) I was going to get it.
2) Another 76 was not going to be universally accepted (the 76 groove thing).
3) I suspected the sound would be exceptional.

Happy Spring.

Listening to No Box Blues by Willie Poor Boy Jameson. Such a sad, sad song.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Very nice show with excellent sound.

https://archive.org/details/gd1981-03-21.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.1067…

Set 1

Alabama Getaway-> Promised Land, Peggy-O, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Tennessee Jed-> Little Red Rooster, Althea, Let It Grow-> China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider

Set 2

Jack Straw, Ship of Fools, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> One More Saturday Night, E: Don't Ease Me In

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

The spine on the book looks like a Coptic binding or some similar method (stitch-based, non adhesive). I think it was an aesthetic choice and not a defect.

Though I could be wrong. I have been before.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

I must be one of the lucky few, my book has a beautiful hard cover, over the binding; inside the front cover is a bonus CD, and the back cover has a dvd of 6/19. Also included, a never published before recipe for head-cheese souffle.
S/N 04412

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Hi-dee-ho there Deadhead-o-roonies!

Sheesh Louise strange times! Love all the positiveness I’m reading here. Holy shit we are in the Matrix. I feel like we’re all reduced to ones and zeros. Anywho, more important digits: 09992 arrived yesterday. Numerology speaks to me and the triple nines say I will survive, and you two.

Giving it a proper listen this morning. I’ve had a penchant for ‘76 for a long time. Well, ever since the archive dot org opened. Sublimely recorded and oh so tight. It’s tingly to me. Fits like a warm hug. A well rested Grateful Dead, music halls, Betty, new material, what could go wrong? Nothing; well, except for the missing spine of the book. I overlook it. I’m in love with how it’s packaged. Neat; easy to get the discs in and out. Just like the (first) May ‘77 box. Ahhh, that May ‘77 box. So good! This box is fast moving up the ranks and contending with the top box(es). I know I know. We say that after each release (well at least I do). Gots me to thinking: hmmm, how would I rank thy boxes? Here is my top 10 list of Grateful Dead boxes and a drip of what I love about them. I only put what impressions came to mind first now that I’m reflecting on them. If I put in all my impressions, we’d be here for a while.

1. Thirty Trips- the sound is phenomenal; it's immense; covers a lot of ground...still taking it all in

2. Europe ‘72 - pretty much the gold standard

3. June ‘76 - made the top 3...I think it has staying power!

4. First May ‘77 - Jack a roe, my favorite two versions

5. Get Shown the Light - I like the mix...not at first, but it grew on me. Amazing shows!

6. Pacific Northwest - sound quality- I closed my eyes and I thought they were in my living room - long groovy jams

7. Giants Stadium - it’s the pinnacle of sound quality; I feel like I’m standing in the mouth of the beast

8. Fillmore West - sound quality and intimacy feel. Pigpen. Jerry’s voice quiver; Death Have No Mercy

9. Winterland ‘73 - 11-11-73 Black Throated Wind..bobby is just so soulful

10. Spring 1990 The Other One - Branford; sound quality is superb

Honorable mention: Warlocks cigar box - Darkstar, and some awesome Space

Cheers All!

....reminds me. I need to hug my wife. Off the next few days. On a rotational schedule at work. Long story, but when this is over, my grip on your hand, should you shake it, will be as if you're shaking Thanos's gauntlet. Look out.
Nice list.

I began ranking box sets and my mind imploded and my body was simultaneously transported to another dimension. Fortunately there's an internet here allowing me to post this warning:

Resist the temptation of trying to rank box sets. Much like time travel and nuclear weapons, it simply should not be attempted...

The sun has set, my front porch barren, the mailbox is empty. How dry I am.. how dry I'll be.. I checked my mail, no box for me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Play it as loud as you can!! It is basically a Jerry vocal solo. Holly shit... Minimal backing on first refrain, non on the second.. Wow.....

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Listened to the 6/11/76 show this morning, Bob T is right, that is an awesome Stella Blue, fantastic Eyes, the whole show was great. Listened to the 6/14/76 show this evening and wow, I like this one even better than the first two shows in the box. Great PIB, the High Time was sublime, the Crazy Fingers was all I'd hoped, those Dancing in the Streets have all been fantastic in this box and the one on 6/14 was no exception. The Help-Slip-Franklin's was stellar. I'm easy to please, but this box is proving to be one of my most gratifying purchases in a while. Really dig the laid back, mellow vibe to these shows and the sound is phenomenal. I guess I should wrap this up before I use all of the superlative adjectives that I can think of.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just got to Beacon Night 1 and my take through the 2 Garden shows is just THANK YOU. The sound quality is exceptional. You hear everyone right where they need to be in the mix. And the music throughout speaks for itself. Everyone is on point. And Dave might be right that Donna never sounded better. The Mission in the Rain from 6/10 had me in tears. This is straight up medicine while were all sheltering in place in Cali. Thanks to all involved. Its also a beautiful case. Stay healthy friends!!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

"8. Fillmore West"

I feel the need to counterbalance a sudden shift in the earth's axial spin:
1. Complete Fillmore West

Really, things are quite mad enough already!

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

I agree with you Kate C, I would definitely put that Fillmore West box set at #1. I would also put that Winterland 73 box set in the top 3, it is fantastic!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Kate_C.

Eight sided whispering hallelujah hatrack
Balance restored

Edit: I'd put FW high in the list. Nothing wrong with ranking box sets and releases, I just have a hard time doing it myself. ..There is one factor that comes into play, not everyone has the FW Complete Recordings Boxset.

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

It is even worse than it appears but it is alright.......

30 years of the best live band ever. No contest.

Still no box, but don't forget the Winterland 77 Box!

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

to see what condition my condition was in

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

While being at home, apart from any essential food buying and medical needs, I thought it would be interesting to re-listen to ‘I am sitting in a room’ by Alvin Lucier. This is a fascinating piece where a simple set of words are slowly converted to an unintelligible drone by multiple recordings of the interaction of the sounds and the resonances of the room. Well worth a listen.
I’m also passing the time by reading a recent biography of the composer Michael Tippett by Oliver Soden. I haven’t finished it yet but so far it is very good. I also just finished re-reading ‘Beyond Jazz’ by Trevor Barre. This is history of the free music played in London 1966 - 1972. On first reading it got me back into listening to AMM, Spontaneous Music Ensemble and ISKRA 1903. Some stunning pieces of improvisation.
I look forward to the arrival of the boxset this side of the Atlantic soon. Keep well.

Seeing the reference to the book "Beyond Jazz" reminds me that the free music played in England between 1966 and 1972 is something I have always intended to investigate further, and so far haven't got round to. I believe early Pink Floyd and Soft Machine were influenced by this approach. The only cds, apart from the ones by the aforementioned bands, that I have got are by the guitarist Ray Russell...assuming he was part of this style.

I am re-reading Greil Marcus's "Mystery Train" recently re-released with beautiful black and white photographs by the Folio Society. Each chapter is focussed on an artist or band. It doesn't seem necessary to actually be familiar with the band in question to enjoy the book, as Marcus seems to be trying to identify and describe the moment when music bursts free from societal and formulaic constraints, to voice something new, exciting and slightly dangerous. Of the individual chapters, I am not sure how "The Band" fit into this paradigm...and I've never even heard anything by Randy Newman - apart from "Gone Dead Train" from the film "Performance". But its a good book.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Yup, I m digging this box set too. The sound quality is top notch so much so that there are many nuances in the playing that I am hearing. So far 6/15 is my favorite show - I have listened to all but 6/19. I am partial to 6/19 as I have a lot of familiarity with it so it may still win out for me. Overall every show is good and there are highlights throughout.

Not to jump to far ahead, but I am really curious as to what the next box will be. I say this not out of impatience but because looking at those lists of box sets got me thinking. We have really been given many great box sets of peak eras that have excellent sound quality. Certainly there are more shows to pull from. I think the big question is that I wonder if they will stick with Betty Board sources or go another route. However this is just fun speculation as I am way too invested in the current box set.

Stay healthy and safe everyone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

My own favourite album by Randy Newman is ‘Sail Away’. The song ‘Political Science’ is a very funny take on the Americanisation of the world with nuclear weapons. It also has the songs ‘Simon Smith and his amazing dancing bear’ and one I’d like played at my funeral (in the distant future obviously) ‘Old Man’ some of the lyrics are ‘Won’t be no god to comfort you, taught me not to believe that lie. you don’t need anybody, nobody needs you. don’t cry old man don’t cry. everybody dies’ That should go down well.
There is an anecdote in ‘Beyond Jazz’ about The People’s Band. They were asked to stop playing at a night organised by anarchists because they were too anarchic :-).

Very hard to do - but agree with Kate C as well -- Complete Fillmore West is at the top (or close to it) for me
I really like this June 76 box, so it may rise up the list a bit

My top 5 is probably:
1. Complete Fillmore West
2. Europe 72
3. Get Shown the Light/May 77 (tie)
4. Winterland 73
5. winterland 77

After that, I'd probably go July 78, June 76, 30 Trips, Spring 90 (first one), Pacific Northwest.
I think July 78 is really underrated

user picture

Member for

17 years

I’d probably go for:
1 Winterland 73
2 Complete Fillmore
3 Europe 72
4 May 77
5 Europe 90 (first)

This may change according to mood and when June 76 arrives!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Top one or two for me. The 1978 box would be way up on my list, as would Giants. PNW would be lower on my list.

Jim, please check your PM. I, too, have been listening to the "No Box Blues" you speak of. :)

Love Randy Newman.

I'll have to check out that jazz book. I've picked up a bunch of free jazz and British jazz of late.

A few days back, while extolling the virtues of 3/17/93, I mentioned that the next two nights were supposedly quite good as well. In checking my DeadBase, I meant to say that the 3/17-19 run from 1995 was the highly-regarded three-pack. I apologize for any confusion my error might have caused. :)

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

That's easy, 1) Fillmore West the Complete recordings, 2)Europe 72 box, 3) Winterland 1973 box. If anyone doesn't have the Winterland 1973 box set, get it, it's fantastic! This order of course will change, when the complete recordings of April 1971 comes out.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

I can heartily recommend the Cream box. I've listened to the first three shows, at a generous volume, though not really loud. Similar setlists. But they stretch this way and that and at nearly anytime in any song, those boys are careening off each other in style. It is said, and probably true, that spring '67 might ultimately be their peak. But fall '68 is no slouch. The RAH show is said to be a major step down in SQ, but great playing. Probably hear it today.

As for live Hot Tuna, I recommend the recently released "Before We Were Them" by the Owsley Foundation. It's Jack and Jorma in summer '69 blasting away (and, I believe, opening for the GD), months before they went out as HT.

Crazy, just saw Jack and Jorma electric at Boulder Theater and they killed it. Jack in particular was rock solid, so when Jorma (about to turn 80 -- the new 50) flagged just a tad, Jack kept everything rolling and Jorma brought himself back up to stride. That was Feb. 29 and we were all aware of the virus but still oblivious on some level.

Well, two weeks later, I'm ticketed to see Los Lobos at Boulder Theater (Sat, Mar. 14) and by Wednesday prior I had made the executive decision not to go. The next day the band cancelled and rescheduled for October.

Tuesday, March 10, we were doing our weekly open mic at a local bar and the last song played (the bar shuttered afterwards) was "Monster Mash" by Bobby Pickett (1962). Everyone joined in the line "It was a graveyard smash" in our best ghoulish voices, while the women behind the bar did the high refrain of "the monster mash" over and over. The last real fun before things went to hell.

I recommend hitting YouTube for this song -- it might make ya smile.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

This box set is really good. The sound quality is incredible. In my opinion, the best sound of any of the releases. Everyone talks about 77. I think there's a better groove in 76. The band is tighter and in my opinion everyone is playing with more creativity.

user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

anyone else notice a lack of metadata on these 76 discs? seems previous releases had way more metadata. i put these in my laptop and the descriptions are minimal metadatawise. anyone else???

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by jamgol

30 Trips and Europe are just so much larger, that is almost a different category. Even the difference between the 2-3 show (6-10 discs) boxes (Warlocks, RFK, Winterland '73 & '77) and the 5+ show (14-15+ disc) ones is pretty substantial for me (May '77, July '78, Spring '90s, Giants, PNW, this one).

For me, at some point, it just comes down to more awesome beating less awesome. It is why the White Album is my favorite Beatles album & Physical Graffiti my favorite Led Zep & Exile my favorite Stones.

So, Europe '72 and 30 Trips will always be tops for me. And Warlocks/RFK will always be bottom (RFK).

As for the middle. Fillmore '69 Complete or Get Shown the Light for me. Really a jumble for 3rd. Better sound with the earlier boxes and better variety with the latter ones.

I think I'd go "outside the box" (sorry, could not resist) and choose All the Years Combine. Is that off limits?

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

For me it really depends on my mood at the time. Different box sets fit different moods. Having said that, FW '69 would be at the top of the list for that 2/27/69 Dark Star, just like Live Dead will always be at my favorite original album. That 2/27/69 Dark Star was instrumental in turning me on to the Dead in the first place, that whole Dark Star - St. Stephen - Eleven - Lovelight sequence was unlike anything that I had heard before. Once I discovered Live Dead it replaced most of the classic rock that I had been listening to on my morning ride to school on the bus.
Looking back it surprises me sometimes that the school bus driver didn't just drop a few of us off at the police station. There were about 5 or 6 of us that would just sit in the back portion of the bus and smoke bowls, carefully covering the bowl and discretely passing it around. I mean, we thought we were slick, we'd hold our hits for as long as possible to minimize the smoke, but it obviously must have reeked. Everyone else in the back of the bus knew, and in fact pointed it out on one or two occasions. And yet, nothing was ever said. But I digress, I was talking about box set rankings...

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

There’s a lot of song repetition in FW69.
I don’t have the physical box, but do have a copy made out of digital ether. Also have 27,28 on vinyl which are made from Plangentized remasters. Thus, those who don’t want the FW Box rereleased are denying themselves a better sounding copy.
Personally, I think I like 11-10-67 and 2-14-68 better than the shows in FW69 (not that I don’t like FW69).
So Dave, bring on a 67/68 Box (after the 71 Box).

Don’t forget about the From The Vault Box which contains a remastered 8-13-75 and a third disc with FTV2.

Box speculation is fun. I agree with what others have said in the past, that ABCD Enterprises may have stipulated that the returned reels get priority treatment for release within a set time frame. ABCD is run by Deadheads, and they want the reels released just as badly was we do. I wonder how many copies of each release ABCD gets, and if they are unnumbered.

Jamming to 6-15 set 2 right now.
Sound quality on this release is spectacular.

user picture

Member for

17 years

So one of the few Dead.net musical releases I do not have is the FW box. My embarrassing admission is that at the time when it came out, I was more into shows from 72-74 and 77. Because of that and my cashflow at that time to a somewhat lesser extent I passsed on it. I was wise enough to get the 3 CD compilation which surprisingly came with the bonus disc.

I had 3/1/69 on tape back in the day and the 3 disc compilation set so I am familiar with the shows. However seeing how highly regarded the FW box is on these lists has compelled me to make acquiring it my next conquest.

Looking at the secondary market the 2 most expensive releases to acquire are: the FW box aand Dave's Picks Vol. 1. Spring 1990. TOO, the Warlocks, Dave's 2-4 get up there on prices as well. Right now on ebay there are a few FW boxes sitting at about $500. Recently a complete FW with discs only (no box no sleeves, just the loose CDs) on an auction went for $200. A cheap price for Dave's Vol. 1 is $250. It would be hard for me to shell out 500 big ones for the FW box. Similarly I am not keen on paying $250 for Dave's Vol. 1. However if I could get the complete FW box for $250 (discs, box sleeves) I would do that. I might have to wait for a while as I am not sure when or even if I will find it at that price. It just seems like that box is the "missing link" for me.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html