• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • adedhed68

I went into my orders on this website and under the order for the subscription, there was a picture of the artwork. It looks a little bit like Dave’s 5 because it is Pauley Pavilion again. Same color scheme at least. Blue and yellow…….UCLA colors

• DeadVikes

Where did you see the artwork?

• adedhed68

Is 11/20/71. It’s confirmed. I even saw the artwork for it

• billy the kiddd

I'm still betting on 1968 or 1970

• RV3
    Default Avatar

I don't believe that DP #48 is 11/20/71....prove it. Where are the pre-release deets/artwork? I think someone is just workin the phishin' on this board. 11/20/71 certainly doesn't look like the doozy he spoke of at the end of the #47 video. Setlist looks routine 1971 at best...maybe a good Other1.

I'm callin' bluff, and still guessing DaP #48 is something form 1981-1988.

If it is 11/20/71, that will be EVERY release from TPTB this year from 1971-1979 including WOTF live material, Here Comes Sunshine Box set, 5/7/77 Vinyl, etc.....AGAIN?!?!

How many shows from 1971-1973 can we have in one year?!?! There really is not that much left from those years to release...6-shows from 1973 this year including bonus live show from WOTF.

It's just time for a exclusive 1979-1991 series....c'mon

• daverock

Is that a fact or a guess? It doesn't look that exciting on paper, unfortunately. It always seems to me that Fall 1971 was one of the really exciting times for the band , with quite a few great shows-counting December as Fall. Weird, then, how they keep missing the great ones when it comes time to officially release one.
    2/3/69 will be good, though!

• Angry Jack Straw

Yeah. Good old Hooker Chemical.

• Vguy72

....tasty. I might have to order that record now dammit.
    The Sphere was made for fractals!

• That Mike

We’re cool, Amigo! I know you were kidding, and I get the Buffalo credentials. Oro and I believe there is something sinister in the water around here (Love Canal residual).
    We have a saying here for our teams - Maybe next year.
    (But if you are going to pay an ace $131million to pitch, why in Heaven’s name do you pull him when he is only 47 pitches in, and throwing well!?!? Sometimes sports is more confounding than women, and that’s saying something!)

• proudfoot

Hmmm. I haven't visited GD71 for quite a while.

I have heard it and found it acceptable, but I wouldn't call it a "doozy".

It hasn't been officially announced, so we will see.

No matter what, Dave, y'all be cool.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

11 months 2 weeks

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html