• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gary Farseer

Did you see my reply a few weeks back about Ziggy's. I did see a lot of shows there, saw Dave Matthews Band there I think in 1993.

• Gary Farseer

Let's edit some

So start with Alvarhanso: I had been going to Jazz Fest for several years, the last 3 years I really went to Jazz Fest at Night as there was literally too many places to see band and I had grown tired of the day time at the fair grounds. So if my memory was correct on May 2, 2003 I saw Umphrey's McGee opening for Moe at the State Place Theater and then just wandered around the quarter popping in to see the true N.O. players. Hard to place, but think we went to see Trombone Shorty that night. May 3rd was across the street at the Saenger Theater for Deepest End. And May 4th we went to the Orpheum (I think) to see the Funky Meters. I have written about that show before. It was one of the funkiest shows I have seen, well up there and I have seen a lot of funk. This same weekend Widespread Panic was playing 3 sold out shows at the brand new New Orleans Arena, that is how Dave Schools and a lot of the players came in but made the logistics of the show a little tricky; to have so many players playing their own shows. That same weekend some where in there, we went to Howlin Wolf's to see the East Coast vs. West Coast Jazz Allstars and Buckethead solo at Howlin Wolf's, a show that started at 4 am. So long nights, sleep thru a big chunk of the day. For several Jazz Fest's I stayed at this killer BNB on Esplanade. It was a condemned house that a couple Auburn University graduates bought and remodeled. They did an awesome job. Now when I try to look for it, there are several BNB's on Esplanade . Think it might have been Ashton's BNB.

Ahhh New Orleans' Ladies...they sashay by. Indeed they do.

BTW, Jazzfest at night was started and ran by superfly and ac entertainment, who also do Outside Lands and Bonnaro and other large festivals.

• billy the kiddd

OBEAH, they have 10/31/70 in the vault because they played it on the KPFA Grateful Dead marathon back in Feb. They said that some of the missing reels for this show had been found. It was an excellent sounding recording

• That Mike
    Estimated - DaveRock - DH Brewer - Dennis

Estimated Eyes - I’m quietly proud Toronto treated you and the family well! Come anytime!
    DaveRock- I figured you would have that boxset already ordered! I hope it’s great for you!
    DHBrewer - The sports guys were chatting with random fans last night at Target, and one guy had me in stitches, he was so elated the nineteen year monkey (Oct 5-2004) was off their back. He wavered between ecstatic and incoherent. The fun ends for the Twins tonight, but…. ;)
    Dennis - I think I have 3 of their albums. Mesmerizing music. Like Go To Egypt Redux.

• Dennis

Hit one song on tube, nice,,, intriguing.

Have any in stock Mike?

• Obeah

What a week at work... I feel like I'm finally coming up for air, and here it is, Wednesday afternoon already...

JoeyMC - I do love me some straight analysis. I know Dr. Lemieux says he doesn't consider any of that stuff when selecting the next pick, but I can't help looking at trends, distributions, etc.
    Oroborous - Fall 1991! Yessir! I toured a lot in 1991 from start to finish, so I feel pretty fortunate, bc the difference between Summer & Fall '91 and the next GD shows I caught, in May 1992, was dramatic. What a fall-off.
    Uncle_tripel - welcome aboard!
    Danehead - Your mention of Dave's 37 made me realize that I have almost criminally underplayed that one. When I turn my focus to '78, I tend to listen to the laryngitis gigs from January; Dick's Vol 18 from February; Red Rocks in July; or the Closing of Winterland. But I know I'm skipping over a lot of magic in April.
    Icecreamkid - yes! Year-first dates ftw
    Billythekid - ohhhh man. I'd love anything from Fall '70. But from what I am given to understand, the cupboard is pretty bare from that period. In my dreams, the next box set has all four nights from Fillmore East in September, or all four nights from Brooklyn in November... but I think only a few reels in total from those nights are in the Vault :(

• estimated-eyes

That Mike, the whole family loved Toronto. What a great city! After I spotted El Mocambo, I explained that Stones show to my family and they took it in without rolling their eyes too badly (any parents out there know the drill, "not another dad story...").

Last 5 Non-GD:

Kinks-- Give the People What They Want
    Clapton-- 24 Nights, Rock Band expanded edition
    Zeppelin-- I
    Talking Heads-- Speaking in Tongues
    Tom Petty-- Live Anthology
    Steely Dan-- Random from most of their CDs

• daverock

Thanks for the heads up. The original album defined the world I lived in during the 70's - so this is release is quite something for me. I ordered it on Friday, and have have been told via tracking that it will be delivered before 10.00pm tomorrow. Consequently I have just emailed a friend tell her I can't meet up tomorrow after all - I'll be staying in all day.

• That Mike

DH Brewer - My pleasure on Tinariwen. Really exotic sound, isn’t it? Likewise on Bombino - you mentioned seeing him, I was intrigued, loved what I heard! So many times I get turned on to amazing music recommendations here, because this bunch are really serious about their taste in music, or “Searching For The Sound” as Phil put it.
    As for the Jays, the Rolling Stones released all these tongue logos for all the MLB teams (!), and knowing the Jays likely wouldn’t go far, I thought I’d change my avatar for a bit (there is a Twins one, as well, but not as dynamic as Toronto’s logo. ;) ). Good luck tonight, and thanks for the heads up on Bombino. I bought his Live in Amsterdam disc, more to follow.

• Deadheadbrewer

I came on to give you thanks for sending me in the direction of Tinariwen, and here you've gone and changed your logo to that of my enemy-for-the-week, Toronto! :) Yesterday I enjoyed my lifelong love, the Twins, defeating your Blue Jays to end our wonderfully-horrible streak of 19 years and 18 attempts without winning a playoff game! Listened to Set Two of Iowa (1973.05.13) while watching, but would turn on the t.v. sound when something great would happen for the Twins, so as to hear the crowd roar!

Got my 2-CD Wake set in the mail yesterday. That was ordered from Bull Moose, so don't panic if you ordered from here . . .

Investigated record players because I'm so tempted by the new Garcia LP series, as well as those suh-WEET Wake picture discs! But I don't need another musical rabbit-hole to disappear down . . .

Last Five-ish
    Bach: all kinds.
    John Zorn: all kinds
    The Replacements: Tim (new remix)--the new mix is stunning!
    Moondog: Songs performed by Ghost Train Orchestra and Kronos Quartet
    Steve Reich: Runner
    (and a sixth, because it is good): Shadowlands--new album by S. Carey (Bon Iver) and John Raymond

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

11 months 2 weeks

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html