• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Angry Jack Straw

I am only riding you. That was another brutal post-season Toronto exit.

As a (former) long suffering Red Sox fan and current long suffering Sabres (and Bills) fan I think you can grant me a bit of latitude.

• Dennis

found a cut of the new jerry "save Mother Earth" from Heads/Tails on you tube

a couple of minutes in video switches to kaleidoscope type video,,,, not quite fast enough for the cut, but that's the shit I'd like to see at the Sphere, not some landscape vision.

Music is color and movement in my book.

• That Mike

Thanks.
    I think.
    (Only 5 sleeps to go…)

• Angry Jack Straw

The Jays did the right thing by bowing out in the first round of the playoffs to join the Matthews/Marner/Tavares search party. They could have been selfish and pushed on to the World Series.

Godspeed in finding those lads. Berrios will need his rest as they search the Canadaland tundra.

• Oroborous

Right city, good street, wrong house yet again…
    I’m sure it will be enjoyable, but considering what hasn’t been picked from fall/winter 71….really?

Curious what ole Doc thinks?

• DeadVikes

Fantastic Joey. Great news. I don't think Dave has ever ended the year with a 71 pick.

• Obeah

Billythekiddd - oh rly?!?! That's GREAT news to hear about 10/31/70, I didn't know that. Found reels?! There aren't many two-word phrases that can fill me with quite as much joy as that one. For 1970 fans like me, this is huge.

11/20/71 is the next pick? Well that jives with this "Pauley" rumor I keep hearing. Personally I was hoping for 2/21/82 if it was to be Pauley; hoping Dave would finally venture into 1982. But the Dead basically couldn't plant a foot wrong in Fall 1971, so I have no doubt this one is going to be hot. Looks like this would have been their last show prior to a break for Thanksgiving week. I see the setlist has a "China Cat Jam" late in Set II... I'm excited already

• JoeyMC

DEADVIKES, I was poking around... it looks like the next pick is 11/20/71.

• DeadVikes

What are you saying Joey? Do you have some inside information for us?

• JoeyMC

11/20/71

I feel a little bad about this...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

11 months 2 weeks

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html