• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • That Mike

I hope Toronto was good to you and your family! It’s my hometown, although I live outside the city now. The El Mo was always a fun place to go to in it’s day (likely still is), and always gave the up and coming acts a start before they hit it big - Amboy Dukes, Elvis Costello, Blondie, the Police, etc. A friend in our crowd at high school won tix on the radio in 1977 to see this local band (April Wine) at the El Mo, and why not. Turns out the main act - The Cockroaches - was actually the Stones. He said it was incredible to see them at a club with the stage mere feet away! It’s hosted some greats - Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Hendrix, Ramones, Stevie Ray etc etc - but hard to beat the Stones in a club.
    Thanks for sharing! I hoped you enjoyed your time here.

• billy the kiddd

Carousel Ballroom 1968, or 10/31/70 , or hopefully but probably not, 9/20/70

• estimated-eyes

That's Mike, I had the best random tourist sighting in August. We took the kids (8 and 12) to Toronto for a family trip and we saw many of the regular tourist places. Kids got to see the places they wanted, wife had a stop and I was along for the fun. On our way back to our rental from Chinatown, we were on a streetcar and I randomly look out the window and see the neon palm tree El Mocambo sign. I about jumped out of my seat with excitement. We had a couple things to see nearby the next day, so went and had a photo taken at the sign. Probably the best random tourist sighting I have had in my travels. It is in an interesting location, just outside of Chinatown and a block away from the Kensington Market neighborhood.

• JimInMD

It's a big conspiracy against the edible industry to make us late for work, dental appts, weddings, dr. visits, conferences, court dates, birthdays, baptisms, surgeries and delivering babies.

I read about it on the internet, so it must be true.

• proudfoot

was just for fun.

It was also a way for me to vent political annoyances without being explicit

Anyway, current GD is 11 17 73

CD in car

I arrived at home yesterday just as UJB started

• uncle_tripel

...the word is out, all over town... got another one coming your way my buddy Pauley...and btw you're movin' much2slow lol it's a doozy of an upgrd for ya!

• That Mike

DaveRock- I saw AllMusic has a review for a newly released box set by Hawkwind, called “Space Ritual (50th Anniversary Edition)”. Per the write up: This massive 11-disc package offers exhaustive evidence of the band's early period, showcasing remastered sound and many bonus concerts.
    I personally don’t know their music, had a Prog-loving buddy in high school all those years ago that liked them. Enjoy!

• icecrmcnkd

The correct way to write dates is year-month-day.
    1987-10-03.
    That way a computer will keep the list of all the shows on your hard drive in chronological order.

• daverock

Here's my last 5

World Music - Goat

Real Men's Guts vs. The Smell of Female live 2/26/83 - The Cramps

Classic Early Recordings 1948-1951 - John Lee Hooker

Rubbles Vol. 18 Rainbow Thyme Wynders - Various

The Future Never Waits - Hawkwind

• Vguy72

....habits man. Took out the political rant as well Butthead. Huh, huh, huh. Edited.
    I'll shake your hand one day dude. We're in the same time zone ya dingus!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

11 months 2 weeks

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html