• 1,475 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

RYXS - what, no St. Stephen?

• RyXs

Beyond and besides what I've already been doing, (in regards to my previous post) my "Terrapin album live" playlists are now peppered with 1976 "Dancin' Streets" and "Passenger" tracks from spring 1978. I swear this is the last I post about this, and of anything on this 1977 thread!

• RyXs

All this talk of oversaturated 1977 releases got me thinking. Re~imagine the Terrapin Station album. For one, as I grew older and wiser when it comes to the Dead & their music, I realized how live was always better. I used to collect the studio albums 30 years or so ago when I wasn't hip to the tape trader circuit. Now them studio albums are long gone and I have a supreme live {mostly official releases} collection to date. So what better way to get rid of that over saturated "Phil Spector Beattles" sound than to implement live versions of the album's songs! I have all my music discs on the computer so this is quite a simple and really fun time consuming task. One difference is I add a "Fire" with no "Scarlett" and place it between "Estimated" & "Dancin'Streets" because I had heard it really was a 1977 Terrapin sessions song and just missed the cut. Not that the song doesn't fit in the "Shakedown" album motif, I just like it better in my mix! So now I have 13 different versions of the Terrapin Station album, to go along with the THOUSANDS of playlists! Still wanting 4/23/77.

• Crow Told Me

The cover art on DaP 51 is OK, but seems like kind of a missed opportunity. I mean, we're talking about a show that was at the Catholic Youth Center. The mind is boggled by the wealth of graphic art possibilities.

Sure, The Office was a fun show. But it wasn't as fun as making fun of nuns.*

*I am allowed to say this because I am a "failed" Catholic whose knuckles are still sore after suffering the wrath of those deranged ruler-wielding pelicans.

• proudfoot

I just had to say it

• JeffSmith

Dave's 51 is up on its pre-order page in the store. Three CDs with some tasty extras.

• Oroborous

Easy there Dexter ; )

Isn’t the cover a photo of Uncle Joe back in his Scranton daze?

• alvarhanso

So, we do get an Other One, finish off 10/24/70 and a full disc from the night before. I'll take it, especially for an early Wharf Rat as well!

Was hoping that the joke about the Catholic Girl (with the tiny little mustache) would make the cover. "They're learning to blow" and "Alllllllll the waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy" make that one of Zappa's most hilarious tracks.

And don't forget, "Hey she gave me VD!" But I guess we get a Steve Carrell reference instead, too bad Dwight or Mose isn't lurking in the background.

• estimated-eyes

While we can bemoan the # of 1971 shows released in the DaP series, this is the first from the spring with all the others from the fall of 1971. This is a completely different band from the previously released 1971 shows. In fact, in the last 20+ years, there have been just a few releases of shows with this configuration from 1971-- Ladies and Gentlemen, Three From the Vault and the bonus discs to WD and AB (with one of them including Mickey, so not quite). I agree with doc, Good Lovin' was frequently the jam of the night instead of Dark Star or Other One-- and they cooked in the month of April 1971.

I will mention I am a bit disappointed in #50. I like May 1977, but little of that release truly 'grabs' my attention. Nice show, but nothing extraordinary. I love #49 though and will likely very much enjoy #51.

• dmcvt

Comments and seaside do not seem to be enabled yet... yes, indeed 3/24 an interesting show, Thanks Doc for the DS/TOO April recap, noticed same thing, them being on hiatus. Turn out we do get another TOO, from Pittsburg.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

40 years ago today I was up at the Greek Theatre ( along with a lot of other great folks who post on this forum) for a knockout show with the Good old Grateful Dead, then they did Dark Star for an encore.. Fun times!

....at five o'clock.
This does not bode well.
Electric At The Eel.
The '91 show is my favorite. Features one of my favorite The Way You Do The Things You Do. Which reminds me, I still need to frame the print I got when it came out. I think it glows in the dark?

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

that being said, one can only tear down this great country and lie about everything before some nut job comes out of the woodwork and tries to take you out. Once again, he brings all of this upon himself.
There is only one way to truly rid the country of he who won't be named, VOTE and defeat him so bad, he can't cry rigged.

After a long JGB avoidance, I listened to Kean College (truly fantastic) and my inherited copy of 87s Electric on the Eel. So nice.

And then 1991's Jerry Garcia Band Arista release. Excellente.

Other stuff still to be heard and reheard is 3/18/78, Bay Area 78, plus several more.

My only gripe about JGB is the limited set lists.

You know what I mean.

Anyway, I miss Jerry, a legendary artist. A gargantuan thank you to all the people who recorded all the music over the years and kept it alive.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

40 years ago today I was up at the Greek Theatre. 7/14/84 had a tough act to follow after 7/13/84. I don't remember much about the show, I was beat from the night before. It looks like a good set list.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Anyone else get Evolve in LP format?

Two gripes - first minor gripe,,,, when did gatefold albums become tube socks? The latest and maybe the last couple of double LP's I bought the gatefold had no center divider. If you lay flat and open when inserting the right side album it will come out the left side. I swear they used to be sealed in the middle.

Worst, albums came in paper sleeve and they were NOT even inserted into the cardboard gatefold, just two lp's laying in the middle of the gatefold. Because of the movement they started cutting thru the paper envelope. Albums seem fine, but not to insert them!!!!

Anyone else get them this way or I the one off?

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

July 13, 1984 I was lucky to there with my Davis college friends, shout out to Bill. I do remember Phil coming out on stage at the end saying they had something special. They had two screens that they started showing picutures of the universe on :-). That was the first time I had ever heard Dark Star, the fellow heads around were erupting.
I do recall understanding the significance and immersing myself in the song :-)

Cool stuff, yesterday I was offered two tickets from a friend to go to the Dark Star Orchestra at the Berkeley Greek Theater, a 40 year Anniversary of the 1984 show and the Rex Foundation. I only found out when I was there that they were repeating the 1984 show. My son and I went with my friend, and had a wonderful time. A great performance by DSO, who added an extra encore that included Ripple at the end, of course with the whole crowd singing. My son remarked that we were nearly the same age 40 years apart seeing the same show. me 21 in 1984 and him 20 in 2024. Wonderful.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by proudfoot

I came upon AIDS benefit from 5/27/89

Only the John Fogerty stuff

Apparently Jerry and Bobby are part of it, but I cant hear them much

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

39 years ago this weekend we were down at the Ventura County Fairgrounds for a wild weekend with the Good old Grateful Dead. Crazy fun times!

Thanks for sharing. I'm taking my son to his first show at about the same age as I was at my first. Won't be the same without Jerry, but I'm sure we will manage to have a good time.

I have really enjoyed DSO each and every time I have seen them over the years. They seem fully capable of delivering the goods.

I remember listening to the first half of set 2 on tape after getting home from 7 19 87.

It had a very special sound and aura :)))

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

There were lots of fires in the hills around Ventura and Garcia did Fire on the Mountain for the 2nd song of the show. They also did Cryptical which was cool.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

I think something will happen today.. come on, Dave..

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Maybe a two part Greek Th. box is in the works?

Vol. 1 '81 to '85, Vol. 2 '86 to '89.

You can do a 3 Vol. 81-83, 84-86, 87-89 ? Three part would be better ?

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Perhaps my favorite first set

“Big ocean, big fire, I don’t care, let’s get rocking!”

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Danehead

Announcement should be coming this week. It is due out next Friday, correct?

And where is that Box Danehead. Any more insight out there?

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

How is the album Marquee Moon by the band Television "punk rock"?

And Patti Smith punk?

Ramones
Sex Pistols
Germs
Bad Brains
Fear
Stalag 13
Crass
GBH
Exploited
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Circle Jerks

Punk rock

The others? No.

Anyway

Area 51
Highway 51
Dave's 51
51 is a multiple of 3
5 + 1 + 3 = 9
GD played the Greek in 9 consecutive years
So the new Dave's HAS to be a Greek show

Amiright, Bolo24?

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

40 years ago ( boy where did the time go) it was Sunday at the Greek Theatre with the Good old Grateful Dead , great show, fun day.

Yes, it is time, certainly we should have received news of new music by now.

This long delay, a period with no news whatsoever, the heat, the drought, airplane doors falling from the skies. Not to mention the really bad stuff that's been going on...

It all makes for a dark mindset. Then the news hits:

While preparing for what is to be a monumental Dave's Picks, our fearless leader had prepared a special seaside chat in one of his favorite getaway spots somewhere between Squamish BC and Salt Spring Island off Vancouver. Leaving before dawn, travelling by car, bicycle, ferry and finishing on foot he sets up his new remote-controlled, high-tech video camera on his new lightweight tripod. Everything was perfect, the day, the light rustling leaves just beyond the rhododendron hinting at Sasquatch activity nearby. There was a bald eagle nest directly overhead with young hatchlings crying for food. A few trout were jumping for hatching bugs escaping the surface of the crystal clear waters. As luck would have it, Dave brought his Grateful Dead waiters and his Wall of Sound inspired, self casting fly rod, both within arm's reach. Everything was perfect and just as he hits the record, from out of nowhere, comes this log train of recently cut timber clogging up the currents. There was really no time to escape.

Fortunately, the years at Log Rolling Camp as a child paid off. When just two hops from shore a harem of surly seals tossed him into the frigid rapids downstream. It's always the seals that do you in. Cute but deadly and really.. does anyone stand a chance against an angry harem of Seals?

That's the last anyone has seen or heard from David Lemieux. I am wishing for his safe return and a highly edited video can be salvaged from the horror movie that was recorded that fateful day. Only then can we get the long-awaited, monumental Dave's Picks vol. 51.

These are trying times which underlines the importance of getting a newly remastered masterpiece in our mailboxes as soon as possible. There is only so much more we can take.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I’m guessing 51 drops next toos Dee!
Maybe mañana?

The box, no idea…

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It's been delayed after last years HCS box debacle, Bob had to develop the Just Exactly Perfect Glue

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

Did anyone from the Secret Service shout:
"Donald Duck"

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by proudfoot

😁

Whoa…I’m listening to 7/15/84 as we speak and Phil just did that
“Come on Weir, everybody help me out, Come on Weir” lol

Edit: no wait, this is 7/14, just before H/S/F, which sounds good so far!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 3 months

All over it in a New York minute!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by proudfoot

My understanding is that it took it's inspiration from the so called punk or garage bands from the mid 60's - The Standells, Shadows of Knight etc - many of whom were compiled on one of the best compilation albums ever issued, called "Nuggets." Curated by non other than Lenny Kaye. Television used to cover the 13t Floor Elevators ( who I first heard on Nuggets) "Fire Engine".
After The Ramones First Album came out it became the blueprint for punk rock from then on. Over in England, starting in summer 1976, countless bands copied that style. Very exciting for about 6 months.

The other thing with American punk, was that it seemed to be a cultural, as much a musical phenomenon. It seemed to have the New York club CBGB's as it's focus, and many of the bands that played there were grouped together as punk, even though they had little in common with each other musically. Other bands classified as punk around 1976-1977 were The Talking Heads, Blondie, The Cramps and Jayne County.

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by simonrob

I'd loved to have seen that as headline on the News. Something of a missed trick there.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

I told ya,
Their using the leftovers from George Costanza’s wedding ; )

Edit: whoo hoo, gonna surf Ziggy tonight in Vail on nugs.
Haven’t seen em in fo eeevvveerr

....first of all, great band name potential
Second of all, same on both counts.
JEMP records seems to like that format for some reason. No biggie.
Into the plastic sleeves they go. Paper sleeves into the trash.
No warpage thank God.
Thoughts on the actual record Dennis?
And did you the The Warning yet? 🍻

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Grateful Dead Manor Downs, Austin, TX 9/13/83 Complete Show

EDIT: Sorry for any confusion this is the Audience Video on the tube...Audience audio is fantastic!

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

Good source give you the news? I'm ready!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

I need some good news, please

"When you're waiting for a miracle"

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by proudfoot

Sometimes these conversations make my head swim!

Or maybe it's the gummies...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

..with The Wind...maybe we'll hear something tomorrow...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Be careful Gary F. all that sugar is no good for your brain...

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Cannabis Style!

About to make a couple of Bob Marley acquisitions.

Get Up, Stand Up!

Exodus - the movement of Jah People.

Jah Rule!

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

Seventies punk is kind of an obsession for me, partly because it was maybe the only key moment in rock history that I had a mosh pit view of. I was around for a lot of the earliest gigs by LA area bands like X, Black Flag, Social D, and I saw the West Coast club debuts of everybody from Patti to Television, the Damned, Clash etc. Fun times!

So I would say that when people first started using the term "punk" to describe what was happening, it was because they were referring to the way a bunch of scruffy upstart bands who were rebelling against the corporate rock status quo of the mid-'70s and trying to overthrow the established order, even though they didn't seem to have the wherewithal (ie, money, connections, looks etc) to do it. I think "punk" being used in the way it was used in gangster noir movies: the "punk" is the small time hood with big ambitions who is almost certainly doomed to be crushed by the mob, the police, the power structure.

It wasn't really a musical style. Which is why that first wave of "punk" included artists as diverse as Patti, Television, Talking Heads, Deco, Pete Ubu, Suicide, and yes, the Ramones. I think what happened, as Daverock said, is that the Ramones offered a blueprint of what "punk rock" sounded like, and it was one that was easily copied, even by people who'd never picked up a guitar until yesterday. If you liked the Ramones, you could get together a couple friends, learn three chords, and start a band. And dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) did. Suddenly there was lots of bands that sounded like that in every town, and that was taken to be what "punk" was.

About Television specifically: I personally think they took too long to record, and as a result we missed out on hearing the earliest version of the band, when Richard Hell was still a member and when they sounded a lot more raw and basic in a way we associate with punk. If you're curious, look up the Ork Loft recordings, a video made in 1974, and you'll see what I mean. That's what they sounded like when they'd been together for about a year. They did some demos with Eno after Hell left the band in December ''74, which are a lot more polished. And then they didn't record their Elektra album till September 1976. By which time they were one the tightest bands you'll ever hear, and not much like what we think of as "punk."

Anyway. I would recommend hearing EVERYTHING Television ever did. Marquee Moon is a stone classic, the follow up, Adventure, much under-rated, and the live boots and Eno demos are all really good too. Even the reunion stuff is worth hearing.

Sorry for the long post. I warned you I was kind of obsessed with this stuff.

And, hey, Dave, where's that announcement?

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Great write-up. Especially for someone like me that was on a different musical direction. Always admired the Ramones for what they did and their history. What playing the Roundhouse in London in 1976? And more importantly, from my perspective, they never strayed to far from their charter.

Did I see the NYDolls in their, cant remember.

So for me, who has never been in a mosh pit, it was very enlightening!!!

Now how much will I remember? That has become the question.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Listened to Dave's#40 - Deer Creek this past weekend. Even though I had listened to it several times, it really floored me. Nice Pick Indeed! Some great playing and the recording Dan captured is top notch.

I was much more in the active listener mode instead groove pilot.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

It just (duh) dawned on me where all the extra glue bits came from on the HCS box CDs

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html