• 1,475 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

RYXS - what, no St. Stephen?

• RyXs

Beyond and besides what I've already been doing, (in regards to my previous post) my "Terrapin album live" playlists are now peppered with 1976 "Dancin' Streets" and "Passenger" tracks from spring 1978. I swear this is the last I post about this, and of anything on this 1977 thread!

• RyXs

All this talk of oversaturated 1977 releases got me thinking. Re~imagine the Terrapin Station album. For one, as I grew older and wiser when it comes to the Dead & their music, I realized how live was always better. I used to collect the studio albums 30 years or so ago when I wasn't hip to the tape trader circuit. Now them studio albums are long gone and I have a supreme live {mostly official releases} collection to date. So what better way to get rid of that over saturated "Phil Spector Beattles" sound than to implement live versions of the album's songs! I have all my music discs on the computer so this is quite a simple and really fun time consuming task. One difference is I add a "Fire" with no "Scarlett" and place it between "Estimated" & "Dancin'Streets" because I had heard it really was a 1977 Terrapin sessions song and just missed the cut. Not that the song doesn't fit in the "Shakedown" album motif, I just like it better in my mix! So now I have 13 different versions of the Terrapin Station album, to go along with the THOUSANDS of playlists! Still wanting 4/23/77.

• Crow Told Me

The cover art on DaP 51 is OK, but seems like kind of a missed opportunity. I mean, we're talking about a show that was at the Catholic Youth Center. The mind is boggled by the wealth of graphic art possibilities.

Sure, The Office was a fun show. But it wasn't as fun as making fun of nuns.*

*I am allowed to say this because I am a "failed" Catholic whose knuckles are still sore after suffering the wrath of those deranged ruler-wielding pelicans.

• proudfoot

I just had to say it

• JeffSmith

Dave's 51 is up on its pre-order page in the store. Three CDs with some tasty extras.

• Oroborous

Easy there Dexter ; )

Isn’t the cover a photo of Uncle Joe back in his Scranton daze?

• alvarhanso

So, we do get an Other One, finish off 10/24/70 and a full disc from the night before. I'll take it, especially for an early Wharf Rat as well!

Was hoping that the joke about the Catholic Girl (with the tiny little mustache) would make the cover. "They're learning to blow" and "Alllllllll the waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy" make that one of Zappa's most hilarious tracks.

And don't forget, "Hey she gave me VD!" But I guess we get a Steve Carrell reference instead, too bad Dwight or Mose isn't lurking in the background.

• estimated-eyes

While we can bemoan the # of 1971 shows released in the DaP series, this is the first from the spring with all the others from the fall of 1971. This is a completely different band from the previously released 1971 shows. In fact, in the last 20+ years, there have been just a few releases of shows with this configuration from 1971-- Ladies and Gentlemen, Three From the Vault and the bonus discs to WD and AB (with one of them including Mickey, so not quite). I agree with doc, Good Lovin' was frequently the jam of the night instead of Dark Star or Other One-- and they cooked in the month of April 1971.

I will mention I am a bit disappointed in #50. I like May 1977, but little of that release truly 'grabs' my attention. Nice show, but nothing extraordinary. I love #49 though and will likely very much enjoy #51.

• dmcvt

Comments and seaside do not seem to be enabled yet... yes, indeed 3/24 an interesting show, Thanks Doc for the DS/TOO April recap, noticed same thing, them being on hiatus. Turn out we do get another TOO, from Pittsburg.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Iggy and The Stooges were massively influential in England during the second half of the 70's. In some ways, as Chuck Berry was to the 60's, they were to the 70's. Starting with Nick Kent's article in the NME in 1972 about their legendary show at Kings Cross, in London, to Raw Power the following year and the discovery of their first two albums. Their tracks, No Fun and 1970 were covered The Sex Pistols and The Damned, among others, but nobody came close really.
When Iggy finally toured England, in 1977, it was one of the most eagerly anticipated rock events I have ever witnessed. Unfortunately - despite having David Bowie on keyboards - his moment had clearly passed. Still good - but not quite what he had been.

The New York Dolls were important too. appearing on the rock programme "The Old Grey Whistle Test" circa 1973. After a blistering and shambolic "Jet Boy" and "Looking For A Kiss" they were put down by a visibly bemused, and slightly miffed Bob Harris as "mock rock". The 1970's were taking shape!

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

The Stooges (the ones with Iggy, not Larry and Curly) loomed over punk in the US in a huge way, too. It was almost impossible to go to a punk gig in 1977 and not hear at least one Stooges cover. (My own proto punk band played I'm Loose and No Fun. Very poorly!) The Stooges and the Velvet Underground and the NY Dolls were really the foundation, along with the '60s garage bands.

And btw, there was a fair amount of give and take in those early days between punk and various brands of psychedelia, including the Dead. Punks were supposed to hate hippies, but in reality we were often on the same drugs and disliked a lot of the same things. Greg Ginn of Black Flag was a big deadhead, for instance. Also, my LSD connection was a hippie neighbor who one day shaved his long hair and 'went punk.' after a gig by X. Lee Renaldo of Sonic Youth was a deadhead, lots of others.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

....finally getting around to organizing my record collection. Quite the task. I have over 300 records going back to my teenage days and just starting getting back into them as you know.
Holy flashback Batman. Stumbled across some T.S.O.L., Cramps, Misfits, Corrosion Of Conformity, Agent Orange and Subhumans records I bought decades ago. They still hold up.
According to discogs, some of the Misfits records I own are worth a pretty penny. Not that I would ever sell them.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I won't spoil it. If you want to know, go to your DaP 2024 order confirmation email from last year and click on the order number. That will take you to the CHECK ORDER page. Enter the order number, your email, and zip code and you'll see a receipt with all the details.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Is this true.. ? the shortest show of 1971.. No TOO, no DS ?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

4/13/71 CYC yes it's a 2 disc show. Set 2 from the 14th will fit on 1 disc so hopefull its included as disc 3.

Box idea... Park West '83 thhrough Manor Downs...

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I would hope they would use Meadville highlights for the third disc, and save Bucknell for a future complete show release..............

Rock on,

Doc

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Crow Told Me

I never saw a contradiction in going to punk gigs and listening to Dead albums. I got into The Dead around`1976, the same year punk erupted. Psychedelia and punk both seemed anti establishment to me - a great alternative to the big rock bands of the day, who had become increasingly mainstream. For me in my late teens both avenues were full of thrills pills and bellyaches. The Dead seemed really exotic - nobody I knew had ever heard them or knew anything about them.
I never looked like a punk - I used to wander into gigs looking like a roadie for Hawkwind. Nobody bothered me - the most grief I got was from so called "straights" - which in those days was a reference to non drug takers - not heterosexuals. I did start to feel a bit out on a limb when second generation punks started to show up. They were more identikit - all looking the same and maybe attracted by the media hysteria about punks being violent and thumping hippies. Time for Daverock to exit stage right!
I really didn't like British punk in the 1980's with it's far right leanings. Ghastly photos out there of people at gigs giving the Hitler salute at a stage with some mohicaned plumed band spitting and growling all over it. No fun.

One of my favorites. Only played during April '71, only other released one on Ladies and Gentlemen... Saw some nice reviews of the Good Lovin'. Assume they have a better tape than the one on Archive with all manner of cuts.

user picture

Member for

11 months

...gonna CRANK it UP!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Yes indeed. 51's gonna be oh, so sweet!
The Sound. The tempo. The concentrated explosive commitment.
All within a boxy little concrete gymnasium in Scranton.

user picture

Member for

3 years 1 month

Day 28 30 days of dead 2020 4-13-71 UJB

The check order path doesn’t work fo me in the UK because I don’t have a zip code and my post code doesn’t work. I was able to access the information by logging into the store, clicking on the order then selecting view.

When I retired I promised myself that I would treat every day as though it was my last. So I lie in bed drifting in and out of consciousness :))

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

When are we going to get the show on the day Ellis, D. threw a no-hitter !?

I'll withhold judgment until I hear it in full Norman glory.

4 13 71?

Umm...ok.

I heard it a few years ago and liked it well enough...a bit fuzzy on the details beyond a pretty normal setlist, but memory at this stage is...not what it used to be

4 13 71?

Bring it on

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Just proves the theory you never know what Dave will do next. Looking forward to it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

How the freak are we getting yet another 1971 show, and supposedly the Box Set is two shows from 1970?!?! It just never ends with the repetitiveness of show releases from 1970-1977 for Dave picks....when they say different lineup than any previous release before, of course everyone thought the rumor of 9/26/91 with Bruce & Vinny was true, I think! An have you looked at the setlist from 9/26/91...why in the world wouldn't this be a release?!?!?! Just astonishing the repetitiveness of same year/similar setlists releases.
Guessing the HI/AK Box rumor is false also.....

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

An April 1971 show, Hell yes! Playing in a gym in Scranton, PA with a killer Good Lovin'. Double Hell Yes! I am 100% down with that release. Curious about what will be on disc 3, but really looking forward to another April 1971 show with Pigpen in primo form.

For context, after Jerry passed, I went through a Rolling Stones period and didn't listen to GOGD as often. I picked up a Dick's Picks when it truly caught my attention, but what really got me back in the fold was Ladies and Gentlemen, the GD. They were truly firing on all cylinders that month with Pigpen in fine form-- I am certain a certain forensicdoc will be pleased with this one.

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

There’s an interesting article in the UK based newspaper ‘The Guardian’ today about a study into the effects of mushrooms on the brain. The last paragraph is entertaining.

“ Siegel added while the research process was demanding, there seemed to be plenty of volunteers for studies into psychedelics. “We didn’t have trouble finding participants,” he said.”

I don't recall much about this particular show except that I DO remember the Sugar Magnolia, for it's glorious. And of course the Good Lovin'... this version has some great playin to accompany pigpen. Not sure why Dave felt compelled to throw us so far off the track except that I guess this is the bar band lineup of the Grateful Dead, so he wasn't exactly misleading us. I'm excited... Spring '71, thank you for a real good time

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

and listen to my copy of 4 13 71 now

Different line up?

Well...is there a Dave's from Jan thru August 71?

Think think....

5 minutes later...

No Dave's from first 8 months of 71

Dave, you sly little vault keeper

And even later....

It's got a Cumberland

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Looks cool to me. Put some filler from 1970 and it looks even cooler. Its got a Cumberland and a Big Railroad Blues, its gotta be a winner.

That even in the last Deadbase, there is no setlist. Had to go to setlist on internet.

So is it part of returned tapes???

So set looks tasty to me, having never have heard it. I'll wait to it makes my mailbox Shine!

Been really studying all the outrageous growth in products developed since the 2018 farm bill was signed.

And yeah, I have researched being a part of the psychedelics control group. Even have a clinic in my hometown that is referenced. Only thing, I wonder if it is a ploy to get me to sign up and then raid my house.

Ah, psychedelics, to reveal the soul. Absolutely.

I don't seem to have been notified that Dave's 51 is 4/13/71, but everyone suddenly seems to know that it is. Like Gary I have just had a look in Deadbase - and in the the Taping Compendium, and there ain't no set lists. Seems like a curious choice, unless it has characteristics not evident in other Spring 1971 shows already released.

Good week for Dead stuff so far for me though, with Tales of the Great Rum Runner rolling in yesterday and the vinyl 5/31/74 this morning. Rumrunners sounds really good.

Very crunchy, crisp sound and potent performance

If 4 13 71 is the release (so many ugly rumours) then it gets my endorsement.

:)))

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

Head scratcher, both overall and specifically.
Overall, I’m with the oversaturated crowd.
We just got a mediocre 71 show 3 picks ago.
Come on Dave the Grateful Dead played for thirty years, not five…

This is an average show for the time, not bad but…
Specifically, I can think of at least a half dozen shows from April, (not including F.E.)that I thought were better shows when I did the Pepsi challenge 3 years ago.
Can’t wait to hear how he spins this one lol

Perhaps the box is April 71 so pilling it on? Though I don’t think they’ve done that before. They usually like to have variety, at least from the same 7 years…
Sigh

I’m sure I’ll dig it a couple times then probably never again without some specific reason. : (

Guess the upshot is maybe it will have more/rest of that 70 show on disc 3?
Orrrrr?
Maybe they’ll kick down again and make it a two show four disc to compensate?

Still guessing next toos dee will be release day, unless this leak moves it up?
By release date I mean the day of official announcement/seaside etc

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

The date appears as DaP#51 in the subscription order. Since you don’t subscribe you’ll have to wait for the announcement. Of course they might have just put that information into the order to mess with us.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

small cover pic shown over at Hoffman
i.ibb.co/F8pQGn6/Screenshot-2024-07-17-103335.png

Can I post that?
Office reference - Schrute/Scranton

release date likely no earlier than 30 July if past release dates are any indication

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I see nothing mentioned anywhere or have received no notice about 51 coming?

Odder were the comments about no set list?

I have this in my "Shows" folder and it's a decent recording.

1971-04-13 - Catholic Youth Center - Scranton, PA

01 - Casey Jones
02 - Mama Tried
03 - Loser
04 - Big Boss Man
05 - Me & Bobby McGee
06 - Bertha
07 - Cumberland Blues
08 - Big Railroad Blues
09 - Playin' in the Band
10 - Hard to Handle
11 - Sugar Magnolia
12 - Truckin' -
13 - Drums -
14 - Good Lovin'
15 - I Second That Emotion
16 - Greatest Story Ever Told -
17 - Johnny B Goode
18 - Uncle John's Band

Am I wrong on this show? Do I need to relabel? Anal assholes want to know :-)

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

In reply to by Obeah

The original order showed 51 coming out on the 25th July, if so the info should come out a few days before that.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Guess i didn't poke around hard or deep enough.

Small picture,,, I couldn't see and text on it.

I assumed the cover pic was a catholic school principal "type",,,, maybe he's real.

FYI - show I have clocks in at 2 hours,,,, seems like a lot of space left?

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Dennis

I saw the tiny picture also. Catholic girls' (With a tiny little mustache) principal...

Nice.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

Dave is certainly and most definitely sucking the '70s dry: counting this April '71 show that is apparently going to be DaP 51, six of the last seven releases have been '70s shows. Including a '71 show just two DaPs ago. So I get where people are coming from if they're feeling like the series has been a bit too narrowly focused of late.

Which is a little puzzling, given that are definitely some shows from the '60s, '80s, and '90s that need to be released. I am nowhere near knowledgeable about unreleased shows as so many of you, but there's the Ark shows from '69 and various Greek shows from the '80s that are known to exist in good sound and which for some reason languish in the vault.

That said, I'm still pretty stoked about this one. Some vintage Pig to be had here, and that's plenty enough to get me excited. But it does make me wonder what's going on with Dave these days, what with the announcements running late and weird rumors about the Half Baked Alaska box and now this.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi y'all. Long time.

Glad to see all the familiar names, and then some. RV3 still griping about the '70s shows, Doc waxing re: 1971 which is in the queue. Should be an interesting 'Good Lovin' on 4/13/71 - has a "Darkness Darkness" jam, says a source.

This one may have taken some creative mastering - listening to the show on Archive - quite the warble-y tape.

It's not in Deadbase, eh? I wonder if the newly returned tapes get priority, in a way. "Please return to us, and if ya do we'll release it with some reward to the remitter in the form of $, credit in the liner notes, or simply bragging rights/feeling like part of the Rhino team and process... Anybody know? It may have been mentioned but I haven't kept up with the thread. I used to login every morning.... nowadays notsomuch.

Hope you're well Doc. Enjoy this one. Happy summer, y'all.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hope you're right Doc.

Disc 3 would fit almost all of 4/15 Meadville...

Bertha, Good Lovin'
China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Me And My Uncle, Next Time You See Me, Sing Me Back Home, Sugar Magnolia, I Second That Emotion, Truckin' > Not Fade Away > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > Not Fade Away > Casey Jones, Greatest Story Ever Told > Johnny B. Goode

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

We got 240 minutes that's 4 hours of rockin' Grateful Dead coming ! ;-}

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by Forensicdoceleven

I also have a nice sounding copy of that show,,,, I think both could fit on these 3,,,, damn close.

Great sound.

ps - both shows added up to 3 Hr 42 M,,,,,, missed by that much?

Colin and Dennis. I know you can't judge a show by the songs...or the year....but if you did commit this heinous crime you might come to the conclusion that this doesn't look that exciting. With respect to those who love 1971 above all other years.
I was sorry to miss that Guardian article, Colin. It's over 30 years since I last took mushrooms, but I feel as though I benefitted exponentially from the time when I did. Most unexpected, quite how much my life seemed to improve as a consequence. It seems absurd that should I decide to take them again I would be breaking the law.

Thin - I do like that picture of the tele.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

No way it could be a 2 disk set? Since we have had two, 4 disk, two show sets in the last 2 years. I think that is right?

Not to be a buzz kill...

good to see you Thin!

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

That would be great, as it would mean a Sing Me Back Home and 2nd Second That Emotion, but I'm thinking the rest of 10/24/70 may be more likely. Guess we'll find out Friday or Monday.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Disc 1 has 30 min left for filler from 4-15 and all of disc 3, thats 110 min.

4-13, 50 min on disc 1 and Disc 2 Playin through UJB 75 min thats 125 min

235 min.

That is two complete or almost complete shows.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by alvarhanso

On drive home

Mentally going through GD show dates from April 71

I think Bucknell University

10 seconds later a car gets in front of me
with a Bucknell University sticker

Kewl

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html