Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners By Author Steve Silberman
    Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
    Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • proudfoot

Whan that Aprille with these shows soote

:)))

• jjc

I caught the Nashville 4-22-78 DP release that spring and away I went! Still have the tix stub! Ready for this BOX Baby!

• Colin Gould

Eating was always overrated and I could do with losing some weight. Selling internal organs isn’t allowed in the UK :))

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

PLAY DEAD
    PLAY DEAD LOUD
    TODAY IS A GRATE DAY

• DeadVikes

Code didn't work for me. Tried a few times. Oh well, my paranoia of missing out made me order right away.

• itsburnsy

I've never liked 78 that much, kind of a poor man's 77. If you read Phil's book too Jerry had serious complaints about Keith's playin'. Looking forward to having my mind changed

• Bootzilla
    Default Avatar

Thanks, 1stShow, I had forgotten about the slot machine discount code -- you saved me $40!

BTW, my first attempt to order failed using Google Chrome (this happened to me on dead.net many moons ago -- I am surprised there are still issues with Chrome).

I was able to order using Firebox.

• Vguy72

....don't mind if I do!

• icecrmcnkd

Bring on the Plangentized/Normanized Betty’s.

• Thin

Nice box! Of course I've heard that this tour is spotty, with some shows being not amazing. Looking forward to checking it out.

I know Keith was beginning to get himself in too deep on stuff, and he and Donna started to unwind. Not sure if that started in early '78 or later in '78... but I wonder if you can begin to hear this in the shows.

But this is great. I've had a few of these forever, and the shows generally have great energy, and Donna was prominent and more in-tune..... Thanks Dave and team.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Friend of The Devils: April 1978 (Dead.net Exclusive) [19 CD]

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Curtis Hixon Convention Hall, Tampa, FL 4/6/78
Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL 4/7/78
Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, FL 4/8/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/10/78
Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA 4/11/78
Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, NC 4/12/78
Cassell Coliseum, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA 4/14/78
Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV 4/16/78

Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners By Author Steve Silberman
Artwork By Acclaimed Artist Matthew Brannon

Limited To 10,000 Individually Numbered Copies
Dead.net Exclusive

It’s been said before but April ‘78 was an incredible month for the Dead. Like May ‘77, you could throw a dart and guarantee you hit a stellar show. - KyloRensPecs, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

.... April/May '78 has a lot of the same qualities of Spring '77 but with some extra edge and a much bigger sound from the Rhythm Devils. A really special era that often gets neglected. - viewtiful_alan, r/gratefuldead, Reddit

Sportatorium - April 7, 1989

when drums started I thought, oh s*#!, i hate drum solos and Billy and Mickey stopped me in my tracks. Wow, these guys are really good. Little did I know the pervasive influence this phenomena would have on my life. - pearlybakerbest, Dead.net

Huntington Civic Centre, West Virginia – 16 April 1978

This is another must-hear concert by The Grateful Dead. The sound and mix are almost ‘absolutely perfect'... It’s difficult to pick out highlights because everything is played so well; the band are tight, Donna is great and the set list is strong. - Grateful Ted, gratefulted.co.uk

We're hitting the bullseye with the eight previously unreleased stellar shows that make up FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978. Filled to the brim with peak performances from the Grateful Dead's post-hiatus period, this collection captures the historic tour where "Drums" begat "Space," morphed into "Drums">"Space" and cemented the Rhythm Devils' second-set power move from the music business to the "transportation business."

Spring 1978 finds the Dead consistently weaving spontaneous magic, showing signs of great promise and potential - from the no-nonsense rock'n'roll in Tampa, where scholars cite the first "Drumz" leading into "Space," to the lengthy communal get down in Pembroke Pines to Jacksonville where the twain emerge fully formed, offering the primordial opportunity for "soul retrieval." It's evident in the dynamic range delivered on back-to-back nights at the intimate Fox Theatre and through the laid-back unity of the band's performance in Durham at Duke, a comfort that carries over to Virginia and West Virginia where the playing is unbridled, bursting with momentum, threatening to carry itself away. And nowhere can you hear that more clearly than through Betty Cantor-Jackson's original recordings, reliably crisp, bright, and vivid.

Individually numbered to 10,000 copies and exclusive to Dead.net, FRIEND OF THE DEVILS: APRIL 1978 has been mastered by Audio Engineer Jeffrey Norman using Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction. Steve Vance designed the collection’s custom box, which features a removable wave drum. (We invite you to unleash your inner Rhythm Devil.) Acclaimed artist Matthew Brannon created the set’s original artwork. The collection also includes a 48-page book with original liner notes by author Steve Silberman and photos by James Anderson, Bob Minkin, and more.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Wonder when we will get the missing 1 set tracks from Pittsburgh.. but this is nice - at some point this box was bound to come out..

user picture

Member for

10 years

Box ordered.
Promo codes from slot machine thing still valid through today!
Seaside chat listened to.
An hour of listening party awaits.
Love 1978 Dead.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Nice

At first I cringed at the title for political reasons

Then I drank some coffee and realized it was a reference to the Rhythm Devils

Whew

Thank you ddn

Old man reminiscing warning:

I remember getting several of these on cassette in the late 80s and being floored by the sound quality

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by proudfoot

being too close to 1977?

Or being 70s in general?

Or too close to the Daves from 4 22 and 24?

Or too close to the July 78 box?

Cool

No complaining, my fellow Deadheads and all. Please.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Nice box! Of course I've heard that this tour is spotty, with some shows being not amazing. Looking forward to checking it out.

I know Keith was beginning to get himself in too deep on stuff, and he and Donna started to unwind. Not sure if that started in early '78 or later in '78... but I wonder if you can begin to hear this in the shows.

But this is great. I've had a few of these forever, and the shows generally have great energy, and Donna was prominent and more in-tune..... Thanks Dave and team.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Thin

Bring on the Plangentized/Normanized Betty’s.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Thanks, 1stShow, I had forgotten about the slot machine discount code -- you saved me $40!

BTW, my first attempt to order failed using Google Chrome (this happened to me on dead.net many moons ago -- I am surprised there are still issues with Chrome).

I was able to order using Firebox.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I've never liked 78 that much, kind of a poor man's 77. If you read Phil's book too Jerry had serious complaints about Keith's playin'. Looking forward to having my mind changed

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Code didn't work for me. Tried a few times. Oh well, my paranoia of missing out made me order right away.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

PLAY DEAD
PLAY DEAD LOUD
TODAY IS A GRATE DAY

user picture

Member for

15 years

Eating was always overrated and I could do with losing some weight. Selling internal organs isn’t allowed in the UK :))

user picture

Member for

3 years 1 month

I caught the Nashville 4-22-78 DP release that spring and away I went! Still have the tix stub! Ready for this BOX Baby!

user picture

Member for

2 years 1 month

Have always liked this year, though between the July box set, Dick's Picks 18 and 25, and Dave's Picks 7, 15, 23 and 37, the first half of the year plus a week already seemed pretty well represented. Those must have sold well, and with all those available only on the pricey secondary market, this should too. Giving the people what they want is OK by me.

But! If they'd asked me, which mysteriously they didn't, I'd have lobbied for the From Egypt With Love run at Winterland in October, even though it was cannibalized for a Road Trips. I guess it never shall be.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Pretty stoked about this box. I’m particularly happy that the promo code I got from that slot machine thing a while back ended up knocking $40 off the price. Good times and I’m looking forward to the end of September.

EDIT: I just took a second look at the promo code I got and the expiration date on it is today: July 31, 2024. So, if you got a promo code, use it or lose it!

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

I don't yet know the shows or the quantity they are releasing. I haven't even grokked the release date. But 19 CDs for $200? Yes, please! Only an early bird order of a Dave's subscription can compete with that value.

I am lucky that I am still off work this week because now it's time for a second cup of coffee (to think that in my dotage that now qualifies as hedonism... oh, to be young again) and a morning spent with Monsieur Lemieux and his Seaside Chat. Not to mention actually perusing the product page.

My slot machine discount code was for free shipping, but the form wouldn't take it ("not applied" in red text) but I used a birthday code for 20% off, and that worked. I thought I had already used that code, but for all the "hey now" time I've lost this year and last, that seems a fair recompense.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

Nice selection of great shows. I like the Huntington WV show glad it’s included. That just leaves the rest of Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Lexington (minus Stella from So Many Roads) from this tour. Unworthy, damaged, or we’ll see them down the road?

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Spring '78 is very dear to me, and the Duke show has, well, special meaning, to say the least.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by Dennis

Only I didn’t say fudge!
This tour ROCKS!
AND, can you say beautiful, bouncing, banner, brain candy, bodacious, braggadocios, big, bold, beatific, BEST Betty boards!

I was clueless about this tour until ole Dave gave us the stellar number 37 from 4/15/78. Now it’s a fav…
Now, poppas got a brand new bag, and it’s getting filled with spring 78 goodness! So totally psyched to do this whole tour in order etc.

First 2 are good, but not top dogs, haven’t heard the third yet, Fox shows kick ass and are probably the alpha pair, especially the 11. Next 2 are really good, but maybe not as good as Fox, and 4/16 is just as good. A really solid tour all the way, and did I mention Betty? Lol Cause this is Betty bringing it!
And 8 shows, now that’s more like it! Good job team Dead net!
Just wonder about the glue ; ) JK ; )

I'm super excited about this one. This will pair nicely with the excellent Dave's 37 release. I seem to remember the 2 Atlanta shows and the WV as being stellar when I listened on the archive a few years ago. Not missing out on this one.

Peace

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

The cut off just missed this show and the Werewolves of London breakout. There should have been at least one Werewolves included in the set.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Should be pretty cool. Dave's Picks 51 arrived Monday. Busy week in Dead world.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Did you ever think you would see Jerry on drums!!!

"You see the hut, yet you ask where should I go for shelter."

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

Ordered instantly, birthday discount code worked for me, so a very happy deadhead here. DP51 still spinning and it's sunny for the second day in a row. DP37 up next. Life is good.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Ordered. And Dave’s 51 should be here soon. What a great day!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Instant purchase. I was a little kid, 9 years old, and my cousin took me to both shows. All I remember was it was the loudest thing I ever heard and all the crazy funny people. It was years later, before I became a Deadhead, that I was told that these shows were the Grateful Dead. No musical memories, but I had fun, I think. We lived near the Hollywood Sportatorium, and used to spend some summers in Jacksonville. Now we got three Florida Dead shows in this box. I heard that Tucker Carlson was at one of the Fox shows and a Florida show. Small world.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

Spring 78

Gotta admitt, was really hoping for a Wall of Sound box set, but will def take Spring 78!

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

I’m truly grateful & excited for this year’s boxset! I’m a big fan of 1978. The band is very tight and explosive during this spring tour, very much like May 1977 as mentioned in the release announcement but with a little more power/punch in your face & ears! The “ icing on the cake” is it’s all Betty! Primo! Man, I’m so grateful for all the work Betty did while working for the Grateful Dead family/organization! Now, after Norman’s primo work & the plangent processing , we the fans will hear Spring 78’ in all its glory & power the Dead was at this point in their career & performances of 1978! The setlists have me drooling!!! All 8 shows contain some of the best music the band ever created. We deadheads are so lucky! Long live the good Ol’ Grateful Dead! Rock on my brothers and sisters! Peace be with you all!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 4 months

BDAY24DEAD and CC24WMX15 are promo codes that work today. Got it for total 169.67 1 hrs. ago.

Duke! Must see film of show if you haven't.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I don't own Dave's #7 or #15, but this Box will go well with #37. Admittedly I was wrong in my 2024 Box speculations but very happily so! April 1978 Dead I have come to learn is a pinnacle month for the year, like May is to 1977. Since finally subscribing years ago I've come to know quite a bit from Dave's chats and the subsequent Dead releases. Donna is indeed at her apex! Outside her contributions to =JGB= she never sounded so angelic, her harmonies on Mississippi Half Step as a prime example {I wish they did "Greatest Story" in this mini era within an era} but anyways. Keith is still sharp and distinct, though not as phenomenal as he was only a few years prior. Also some 1977 Terrapin songs like "Passenger" sound more fuller and free wheeling in 1978, almost over the edge. "Deal" gets more first set finalle~ish too around this time. I remember Dave's chat from Volume #37 and the significance of the birth of "Rhythm Devils" so if this Box comes with a mini drum I am down to jam! I just need a little more time to get the pre~order money together, it's Shakedown Street for me babaaaaay!

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Got so many sources of this show? Aud, sbd, mtx, dts,, dvd files, bluray files(with choice of audio source), now the official release!

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Proudfoot, I didn't even know this Duke '78 video existed.

I just pulled up the US Blues encore you mentioned and... wow! Jerry seems like he's channeling Keith Moon or John Belushi with animated facial expressions, bouncing around the stage, almost windmilling once or twice, waving his arms around, and being as physical onstage as I have ever seen him. The whole band is on fire.

I can't wait to get this release.

I've always loosely characterized '76-'78 as "the train starting up" ('76), "The train at cruising speed" ('77), and the train going with such abandon it risks falling off the rails ('78). Duke's U.S. Blues is a perfect example.

@wharfrat6969 you're a lifesaver! this box, Neil Young box, honeymoon in 3 weeks, and a baby at the end of the year, I need every savings I can get! Thanks a bunch! Excited for all these wonderful music!!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 4 months

"I took the mission. What the hell else was I gonna do"

Dave thanks for a healthy run of shows!

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by RyXs

I'd never heard April 1978 described as having similar qualities to May 1977 before this release. A highly dubious connection. I have got my order in, despite the hype.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

May 77 and April 78 are different beasts imho

You made a good choice anyway by ordering

You'll like the shows

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

listed below and supplied by the ever-gracious Whartrat6969. Total for box 168.49 includes shipping and taxes. Excelsior!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by proudfoot

Yes, it's beginning to look as though Deadnet have got Spring 1977 tattooed on the brain !

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

...for the Huntington WV show to get released one day and BAM!
Here you go, along with a plethora of other fantastic goodies.

Really looking forward to this one; great choice.
The 'nearly off the rails' feeling is a fun one. Hold on tight.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I got it on DVD-R about 10 years ago or so, got it on BD-R a year or so ago.
Probably should watch it this weekend.

In the seaside chat Dave seems to imply that at least some of the show will be uploaded to the YouTube channel.
Wonder if it’s being cleaned up for MUATM.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

4-12-78 BD-R spinning now.
It’s the Brokedown House Productions version.

Curious to see how well this could be cleaned up.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/friend-of-the-devils/friend-of-the-devils-april-1978-dead.net-exclusive-%5B19-cd%5D/081227816759.html