Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
    Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
    San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
    Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
    Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
    Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
    Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

I was there.
    I’ll buy it on Blu-ray if released, but won’t be making it to the movie theater.

• Gary Farseer

Last year was the first one I missed. AMC bought a 10 year old nice theater from a competing theater chain. Then COVID hit and things changed fast around here. Many older structures have been torn down to make way for newer larger facilities. Enormous R/E boom here. Sux cause last year and now this year we want be having muatm as the older AMC theater complex was demolished, waiting for a buyer on a large piece of R/E close to the heart of town. Wish they would at least run some small run bluray/dvds of these shows. Really not happy about missing these. Go to movie sight and it only shows 1 theater in the whole state. Whereas previously, there would be 8-10 theaters statewide. Not sure if the movie web sight is wrong, will continue to look for it though, maybe change browser for search.

• 1stshow70878

Daytime show at Compton Terrace.
    Good solid show. My first Bruce show.
    Beautiful weather and fun Shakedown scene.
    Everything available and no law enforcement on the Reservation.
    Not exactly a pretty venue but a good trade-off for the freedom.
    Never saw the earlier venue with that name. In Phoenix proper?
    Desert Sky Pavilion (3-6-94, my final GD show) was a bit nicer but over-policed.
    Cheers
    I'd buy that PHX-Denver 1990 mini-box Spacebrother.

• SPACEBROTHER

I really hope this year's showing of the 91 Soldier Field show gets released on CD at the very least if not a Blu Ray CD combo. I personally thought this show was superior to both RFK and Giants Stadium, which are great shows and releases.

The second night of Compton Terrace combined with the three in Denver from December 90 are also top notch.

Also 9/26/91. Possibly one of the last truly epic shows from the post Brent era.

• daverock

Sixtus -thanks for that post about Bob Weir and his experience of hearing cowboys singing and playing when he was young. It seems as though it was more the context of the songs sung than the actual songs themselves that defined them as cowboy songs. If Jerry Lee Lewis had sung the same songs, they wouldn't have been defined in quite the same way.
    I have a book on the history of National Resonator guitars, and that has several photographs of men dressed as cowboys playing these exceptional instruments in the 1930's. Names I would never otherwise of heard of - Hoot Gibson is one, and I have a great cd which compiles country slide guitarists called from the 1930's..."Country Slide". A guy called J.D Farley is referred to in the sleeve notes as a singing cowboy.
    Apart from that - I am reminded of the singing cowboys who were occasionally show in old films on T.V. when I was a child - Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey.

• Gary Farseer

I am getting anti-virus warnings over at dead and company site due to expired security certificate for livedead.co. I am trying to see if there may be some pay-per-view opportunities for D&C's final shows. Can you let the web admin know this. THANKS!

Sorry to interrupt, back to scheduled discussions...

• wharfrat6969
    Default Avatar

Here's a novel idea Dave stop making box sets with a bunch of novelties and just sell bricks of shows in a nice sturdy storage box to lower the price. All those novelties I can't use anyway, so they just sit in the box not to break up the item.

Over $200 after cost, tax, and shipping is a bit too high. How about 5 shows twice a year at a $100 each?

• That Mike

Sixtus - That really is an inspired quote by Weir regarding his passion for Cowboy songs. Thanks for sharing. Not just a “cool” thing to do, this music really touched him. I feel the same about guys like Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman, in that it was not just a fad with the Burritos repertoire, it was a vocation of sorts.

• Sixtus_

So I recall reading this snippet from an article a few years back when Bobby was getting Blue Mountain off the ground. This is what he said about the origin of the cowboy songs and how they got their name:

"...back in the early ‘60s when I was working ranches as a kid and living in bunkhouses. My eyes were opened to a culture, which still existed that predated radio. It was a total oral culture and a rich one. And what the old cowpokes did at night—what they naturally fell into—was storytelling and songs. I was a kid with a guitar, so I learned to accompany those songs, and it was good ear-training because I had to intuit what the next chord was gonna be and when it was gonna arrive—or I was gonna suffer some abuse. That was something that stuck with me. Over the years, if a cowboy song came up and caught my ear for one reason or another, I might do it with the Grateful Dead simply because it seemed natural, whereas other folks wouldn’t have thought it was cool to do a song like “El Paso.” It was a little bit of an enigma to me and I felt I could breathe a little life into that stuff."

Inspired,
    Sixtus

• Charlie3

With the complete show release model, there will always be repeats, often of songs that don’t jump off a setlist as special. On the other hand, if you just release the special favorite tunes, you are going to end up with a lot of out of context highlights, at which point the question may become “how many Dark Star, Eyes of the World, Fire on the Mountain or other highlights do you need”. I am eager to collect more complete shows, very strongly preferably not chopped onto the disc out of order, as I find the highlights to be more special in the context of a complete show, and sometimes it is an unexpected tune that turns out to be the gem of a show. The ebb and flow of the individual shows is part of the appeal for me. The other factor is that today’s perception that a particular performance is “meh” may be replaced by tomorrow’s perception that the performance is cool in some way that I had not realized before. More than once I have put something on to give another listen to something that might not have really hit the spot on the first listen and found myself asking, “holy shit, what was my glitch last time, how did I miss how cool this actually is.”

My appreciation of different music varies by mood and season - what hits the spot on a melancholy fall day is probably not what is going to hit the spot on a sunny summer day and a bright mood., at which point the June 1976 or July 1978 Box Sets are often the stuff. Sometimes I want to hear “the Message” by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five or maybe “Nice Shot Man” by Filter, or “Paranoid” by Black Sabbath. Loud. Other days it might be “Quiet Storm” by Smokey Robinson, or some mellow jazz. If I’m feeling weird it might be some King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard or some Butthole Surfers, maybe the Desaturating Seven album by Primus. Not to mention all of the well known and often discussed bands of the 1960s and 1970s, all of the great soul and funk, as well as all of the cool stuff from this century that has come out over the past 23 years. I don’t seem to have any trouble finding new (or new to me) stuff to pick up despite my best efforts to rein in my compulsive acquisition of new CDs. And now that King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard has apparently decided not to release Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava on CD, just opting for a vinyl release, I may have to pick up new vinyl for the first time in decades. I’m running out of space for CDs, let alone adding vinyl back into the mix. But, the more choices, the more everything stays fresh. Besides, there is way too much cool stuff out there to limit yourself to a single band or genre of music, even one as cool as the Grateful Dead.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Five complete, previously unreleased performances on 17CDs
Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

user picture

Member for

11 months 2 weeks

live in shame die in vain feed the poor stop the war(s)!
did 6/10/73 yesterday, and now my first round of fun listening to the entire box has been completed; planned on stretching it out over several months when the order confirmation was received, and it worked out well as DaP fourty seven got mixed into the rotation several times. For round 2, I'll re-listen more critically with the Bose QC-35 headphones to hear the subtle differences each of these recordings. I'm sure I'll be hearing some surprises.
shine your shoes sing the blues

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

17 years 2 months

Mary, belatedly can I contact you about an issue with the discs on this one, and can you remind me how I do such...

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

send me a PM!
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
WMG Specialty Customer Service

user picture

Member for

10 years

They cannot get you replacement discs but they can put the set on sale for $140.23 in their holiday sale? Hey now on that.
Cheers

No one has offered me a refund,they just sent me more faulty discs that don't play.It will cost me even more to send this back,I can't see them refunding all the postage & import fees that I had to shell out.

Wow, given the recent comments, who would have thought that the HCS box would be available for $140, listed in the Black Friday sale. That means they should/must have shipped any replacement discs for faulty or damaged at no cost BEFORE they sell another set... Had to jump through three Hey Now hoops to post this... talk about Lost Sailor...

Sydney - why should you be expected to send faulty discs back? You have said they are faulty - that should be enough for them. Don't they believe us if we say discs are faulty? A little respect would be nice - do they think you might be trying to pull a fast one? Ridiculous.

user picture

Member for

12 years

It's on sale, but it's not available? What's up with that?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 1 month

Purchased the ALAC digital download since the discs were unavailable. Many of the dowloaded tracks have dead air.

I have purchased many of the box sets over the years and never have I run into so many issues. Disapointed to see so many other devotees with similar issues. Hope this gets resolved soon. The set lists are awsome and I can not wait to kick back and listen.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/here-comes-sunshine/here-comes-sunshine-1973-dead.net-exclusive-[17-cd]/081227847036.html