• 644 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....I knew I was blessed then.
    Good shit Brent.
    Jerry just keeping the train chuggin'"
    BTW, we took the Verde Canyon Train Trip in AZ during our stay there.
    They piped in train songs the whole time. Big RxR Blues leaving and returning from the station.
    Freight Train from Not For Kids Only also.....I pointed it out to my wife.
    She just shook her head and smiled.

• Vguy72

....🥰

• Vguy72

....just got back from five glorious days in Sedona with my wife celebrating our 25th anniversary.
    Need. More. Vacations. And a hot tub.
    And more Taylor Swift if you know what I mean. Childless Cat Lady ftw.

• dmcvt

Thanks DaveRock, was about to note Carter and Williams essential contributions to the Second Quintet. Williams was 17 years old when he joined Miles group. What an incredible crucible those five created. Heading off to northern Vermont tonight, concert with Tom Gershwin Quintet. Heard of this performance from a chance conversation with Grant Gordy after his gig with Mr. Sun Tuesday in Massachusetts. Never seen Grant on electric guitar.

• daverock

What makes that band interesting to me is the rhythm section - Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. My favourite records by them are ESP and Milestones. A great live one is the First Bootleg - 4cds from 1967. I prefer this to the Plugged Nickel set, which seems a bit cautious by comparison.

• Dennis

Well the song will probably not be rattlin' around, but Nancy in them!

Hope I didn't type here, but listening to Dylan Theme radio, girls names. For Nancy, a song sinatra sung.

Nancy with the laughing face. Written about Nancy when she was born. Written by.... Phil Silvers!

• That Mike

Dennis - I’ll bet you will have that damn Nancy Sinatra song roiling around your head the rest of the day now! 🎶🎶 Damn boots!!!
    You’re welcome! ;)
    Crow - I agree on the Second Quintet vs the Trane Quintet - the Second was far more dynamic, a much more interesting band. All of them went on to have pretty amazing careers on their own, as well.

• Crow Told Me

Amazing what they're finding in those old archives these days.

A recent review of Nixon's office tapes (you know, the ones that caught him planning Watergate and discussing the illegal bombing Cambodia and whatnot) turned up a reference to pot. Which Tricky Dicky said was "not particularly dangerous." He even seems to consider legalization, but concludes that "it would be the wrong message at this time."

Well, blow me down. Sure wish he would've said so back then, instead of, you know, launching the War on Drugs and sending so many kind and decent people to prison.

And almost equally mind boggling it is to learn of the existence of this new Miles set. Which should be amazing.

That 'Second Great Quintet' with Herbie and Wayne is in some ways the most interesting of all his bands. The "other" quintet with Coltrane is maybe a better place to start, if anybody reading this is new to jazz and just starting to check out Miles. The Miles/Trane group more or less defined mainstream straight ahead jazz and if you're at all open to jazz you're going to love the Cookin/Workin/Steamin/Relaxin records they did.

But the 'second' quintet? Damn. If the Miles/Trane group built the house, the Wayne/Herbie band blew the fucking roof off. This new set of recordings from what I think must've been their first tour together should be amazing. Probably a little more "inside" than the far out stuff you hear on the Plugged Nickel live set, which might be a good thing. It's a must have, for me anyway.

So, thanks for the heads up on that one! Can't wait.

Meanwhile, UPS says that my copy of Jack White's new lp is out for delivery. Can't wait to slap that thing on and crank it up.

• Dennis

It made me smile.

These Boots Were Made For Listening. (as per python,,,, witty, witty)

• Dennis

There's a performance with about a dozen guys paying a tribute to George Harrison. They're playing while my guitar gently weeps. Everyone passes around the lead, gets to prince and he takes off. Several times it looked like petty was ready to drop out jamming and get back to song, but prince kept on. Tom was looking a little peeved.

Maybe it was just me. But prince really stole that track!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

user picture

Member for

3 years 1 month

I was there also at that shoreline show still have the canceled tix from the three dead shows that were suppose to happen then.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

The Lurker...yeah right. I lurk too more than I post. I do my best to make sure 90% of posts are GD related. Although I do enjoy when others post about music I may like but undiscovered.

Simon I was communicating with another lurker type and I told him about you seeing an incredible Pink Floyd show in like 1974? This was almost 9 years ago. Maybe you could post that tidbit again.

Obviously, this post has to do with the other 10%.

G

user picture

Member for

10 years

Their once a year LP sale includes the 8-LP DiP 33 release. Was $175, now $140. I'd be seriously looking at that if I had not ordered the Devils Box. You already got this one Dennis?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I think you may be referring to the Garden Party at the Crystal Palace Bowl in London in 1971. It was a great one-day event featuring Quiver, Mountain (loud!), The Faces and Pink Floyd. I was rather spaced out at the time. A pretty accurate article on the day's antics can be found at:
loudersound dot com/features/pink-floyd-garden-party-1971

Pink Floyd played:
Atom Heart Mother, Careful With That Axe Eugene, Fat Old Sun, Return Of The Son Of Nothing ( prototype Echoes ), Set the Controls, Embryo, Saucerful Of Secrets. Encore : Astromony Domine.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

guess you were right. I remember the part about they lake and the comment a little more precise about the spaced out part.

WOW, didnt realize '71!

Ever found/heard a recording?

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

There was a lot of good acid around at the time and I was lysergically enhanced for the duration. When we went for a stroll, my mate and I were under the impression that we were being stalked by a pair of park wardens, one tall thin one and one short fat one. Strangely, they appeared to us to be dressed in Bavarian attire. It was a great day out, despite the vagaries of the English weather. Apparently there is an audience recording of dubious quality but I've never heard it. I recall the live surround sound being very impressive.

Yet more info can be found at:

ukrockfestivals dot com/Garden-party-71.html

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

The two keystone cops comment made me bust out laughing. Nothing better than a sunrise laugh.

Gonna be a good day!

Edit: Or as Jim would say, "chortle my coffee."

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Dicks 33,,, yes I have.

Just ordered the CSN&Y fillmore 69 cd (from amazon, free shipping and will get day it comes out, they didn't seem to offer the LP)

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Been having some stereo issues. Part of me wants to upgrade. Cant remember who turned us on to the Amazon (Klipsch) Subwoofer deal last month. But didnt buy, now my 4.8 year old subwoofer may have gone kaput. Will take some time to go thru wiring.

Also have considered buying a self powered speakers, instead of using old Yamahas. Dang, the - JBL 4329P Studio Monitor Powered Loudspeaker. Look awesome. Problem, $4500 for to extremely high powered self contained studio monitors. Reviews are very positive. Just too much power and way too heavy. Read online review, I think it said each one ways 171lbs and produces a SPL of 141db. Wow, who needs that. Maybe some day, if I get my barn built.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

This past year went from a Denon and Polks to a two channel Marantz and a pair of Denali. Wow. Wish I had done that years ago. Where to from there? Seems plenty for a 850 square foot floor plan.

"171lbs and produces a SPL of 141db...." no idea what that means but makes me think of my Black Sabbath aficionado friend that has a subwoofer as heavy as a refrigerator.

Oh yeah, gotta keep it GD related: in the car today was 10/19/72 from Listen to the River. Phil's lines in Jack Straw get me every time!

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by FiveBranch

....I like adjusting the knobs and switches on the back of it so it's just exactly perfect for what is on the menu at the time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

For Phishermen, the following free article popped in my news feed on Phish - “ Four Days With Phish, America's Greatest Jam Band for 40 Years and Counting” - originally published in GQ Magazine (!). (Have Phish gone bespoke!?)
Good article, should be available to one and all.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by That Mike

I have a DVD+R
""data dvd"

that I inherited from my friend Craig.

It has FLACs of
5/10/80
10/31/80
4/19/82
7/1/85

If anyone wants it, speak up here.

Mailing info via PM

I'll even pay the postage

I just want it to have a good home

....R-120SW. Putting it to use now. Listening to Vampire Weekend.
I've been known to phish in the pool of jams.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

That's right $1.00 to see the Jerry Garcia band , with Bill Kreutzman playing drums. The show was at the Concord Pavilion and was a benefit for a local radio station. Queen Ida and her Zydeco Band opened the show. Big Fun! 4 days out from the start of the best run at the Greek Theatre,. Fun times, indeed.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Think it will be a Vince years one.. my guess; Wembley 10/31/90.. BW from Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Colin Gould

Sadly Zoot Money died today as well. A stalwart of British r'n'b - but to me his crowning glory was the short lived Dantalians Chariot. Also featuring future Policeman Andy Summers, they cut one of the all great British psychedelic singles "Madman Running Through The Fields". No compilation of the era is complete without it. And not many are.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

Pig Pen would have been 79 years old today. The Grateful Dead played their best music when Pig Pen was in the band.. .

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

Where IS everybody..

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by Danehead

Like my favorite French-Canadian mouse would say, "Savoir-Faire eez everywhere!"

user picture

Member for

10 years

Fleetwood Mac - Future Games LP
DiP 15 - Englishtown 9-3-77
Steppin' Out w/ the GD - Europe '72
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
JGB - Garcia Live Vol. 4, 3-22-78 Veteran's Hall
Cheers

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Dennis

commentary just dwindles (dwindle...fun word)

I post more now on "what are you listening to"

Savior Faire is everywhere...now there is a phrase I have not heard in a long time

I have been so busy and stretched that I haven't listened to 50 or 51 yet. So I mostly lurk here.

I'll be sure to comment when I get that first listen in.

Argh...

On the bright side, I am starting to be home more and are squaring things away plus, the second to last song I listened to was Jerry singing "On the Bright Side of the Road" So things are looking up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Jazz Fans - A new edition in Miles Davis’ Bootleg Series coming early November, “ MILES IN FRANCE 1963 & 64”, featuring his “Second” Great Quintet (ie - post Coltrane). Dennis, this one is for you, available in LP and CD. Oro, if you want to really “get” jazz, Miles Davis is perhaps the apex, so important from the late 40s into the 90s, an innovator along the lines of Dylan or the Dead. I’m partial to his electric period, where he got really out there, but any of his stuff is worth the listen.
Bill Graham was an absolute genius IMHO for some of the bills he put together at his Fillmore (and more) venues, including putting Miles on to open for the Dead, leaving Phil Lesh gap-jawed, and feeling unworthy of following his act. Graham introduced so many interesting acts to the mainstream listener that might never have happened without his vision. I highly recommend the book “Bill Graham Presents” for more on this incredible guy, who did so much to bring us the Dead, among many others.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

Bill Graham brought lots of blues artists to the Fillmore West like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf , James Cotton and others . The great Mike Bloomfield told Graham that these were musicians he should be booking.

Ok, I ordered the Boot 8 cd's. Haven't bought the vinyl. 100 bucks for the cd's was enough for now, the 225 for the lp's would have stretched me open to the point of fearing the pool.

They didn't seem "limited", thought I could ask for vinyl at christmas.

I seem to have all the miles boot series, at least in mp3. A quick look and I seem to have several in physical media (cd & LP)

Because of someone else, I'm listening to Nick Cave and wondering if I should get his new album :-)

FYI - I bought miles on amazon,,, they always come on the release day and free shipping!

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis - Smart move on ordering the Miles boot from Amazon, much quicker with free shipping. I did order a t-shirt once from the Miles site, and it was pretty quick delivery, but definitely not free shipping.
A few sites offer bootlegs “on demand”, for lack of a better term. You order a bootleg from the choices they offer, they have it produced, and it is sent by a third party (Nugs dot net) - I have two shows on order for Pearl Jam now like this, and I know the Allman’s site has something similar, choose the show(s) you want of the ones offered, and they produce a disc for you. An interesting way to do it, and something Dead net should consider, although that may make Dave Lemieux redundant.
Has Perry Ferrell got a problem with Dave Navarro, or what!? I’ve seen a lot of shows, but I never saw two musicians start fighting. Kinda sucks for the Boston audience that had a shortened show.

don't know about these guys, but the vid I watched 30 seconds of, it looked like Ferral was spaced out? Big time drugs?

but a wow moment for sure,,,, I bet tom petty felt that way when prince went off on a riff in "while my guitar...."

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis - maybe I'm not understanding - it was unrehearsed and a wild ride but don't think Petty had any issues with Prince and the outro solo.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

My wife's cousins were at that show. They said Bass and Drums were spot on and Dave was good, but Perry was not good. Perry F'd up several songs and did not appreciate the band guiding him. Navarro had words with him during the show and it escalated over the last three songs.

There's a performance with about a dozen guys paying a tribute to George Harrison. They're playing while my guitar gently weeps. Everyone passes around the lead, gets to prince and he takes off. Several times it looked like petty was ready to drop out jamming and get back to song, but prince kept on. Tom was looking a little peeved.

Maybe it was just me. But prince really stole that track!

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

Amazing what they're finding in those old archives these days.

A recent review of Nixon's office tapes (you know, the ones that caught him planning Watergate and discussing the illegal bombing Cambodia and whatnot) turned up a reference to pot. Which Tricky Dicky said was "not particularly dangerous." He even seems to consider legalization, but concludes that "it would be the wrong message at this time."

Well, blow me down. Sure wish he would've said so back then, instead of, you know, launching the War on Drugs and sending so many kind and decent people to prison.

And almost equally mind boggling it is to learn of the existence of this new Miles set. Which should be amazing.

That 'Second Great Quintet' with Herbie and Wayne is in some ways the most interesting of all his bands. The "other" quintet with Coltrane is maybe a better place to start, if anybody reading this is new to jazz and just starting to check out Miles. The Miles/Trane group more or less defined mainstream straight ahead jazz and if you're at all open to jazz you're going to love the Cookin/Workin/Steamin/Relaxin records they did.

But the 'second' quintet? Damn. If the Miles/Trane group built the house, the Wayne/Herbie band blew the fucking roof off. This new set of recordings from what I think must've been their first tour together should be amazing. Probably a little more "inside" than the far out stuff you hear on the Plugged Nickel live set, which might be a good thing. It's a must have, for me anyway.

So, thanks for the heads up on that one! Can't wait.

Meanwhile, UPS says that my copy of Jack White's new lp is out for delivery. Can't wait to slap that thing on and crank it up.

Dennis - I’ll bet you will have that damn Nancy Sinatra song roiling around your head the rest of the day now! 🎶🎶 Damn boots!!!
You’re welcome! ;)
Crow - I agree on the Second Quintet vs the Trane Quintet - the Second was far more dynamic, a much more interesting band. All of them went on to have pretty amazing careers on their own, as well.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

Well the song will probably not be rattlin' around, but Nancy in them!

Hope I didn't type here, but listening to Dylan Theme radio, girls names. For Nancy, a song sinatra sung.

Nancy with the laughing face. Written about Nancy when she was born. Written by.... Phil Silvers!

user picture

Member for

10 years

In reply to by That Mike

What makes that band interesting to me is the rhythm section - Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. My favourite records by them are ESP and Milestones. A great live one is the First Bootleg - 4cds from 1967. I prefer this to the Plugged Nickel set, which seems a bit cautious by comparison.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Thanks DaveRock, was about to note Carter and Williams essential contributions to the Second Quintet. Williams was 17 years old when he joined Miles group. What an incredible crucible those five created. Heading off to northern Vermont tonight, concert with Tom Gershwin Quintet. Heard of this performance from a chance conversation with Grant Gordy after his gig with Mr. Sun Tuesday in Massachusetts. Never seen Grant on electric guitar.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by dmcvt

....just got back from five glorious days in Sedona with my wife celebrating our 25th anniversary.
Need. More. Vacations. And a hot tub.
And more Taylor Swift if you know what I mean. Childless Cat Lady ftw.

....I knew I was blessed then.
Good shit Brent.
Jerry just keeping the train chuggin'"
BTW, we took the Verde Canyon Train Trip in AZ during our stay there.
They piped in train songs the whole time. Big RxR Blues leaving and returning from the station.
Freight Train from Not For Kids Only also.....I pointed it out to my wife.
She just shook her head and smiled.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-51-scranton-catholic-youth-center-scranton-pa-41371/081227817480.html