• 644 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....I knew I was blessed then.
    Good shit Brent.
    Jerry just keeping the train chuggin'"
    BTW, we took the Verde Canyon Train Trip in AZ during our stay there.
    They piped in train songs the whole time. Big RxR Blues leaving and returning from the station.
    Freight Train from Not For Kids Only also.....I pointed it out to my wife.
    She just shook her head and smiled.

• Vguy72

....🥰

• Vguy72

....just got back from five glorious days in Sedona with my wife celebrating our 25th anniversary.
    Need. More. Vacations. And a hot tub.
    And more Taylor Swift if you know what I mean. Childless Cat Lady ftw.

• dmcvt

Thanks DaveRock, was about to note Carter and Williams essential contributions to the Second Quintet. Williams was 17 years old when he joined Miles group. What an incredible crucible those five created. Heading off to northern Vermont tonight, concert with Tom Gershwin Quintet. Heard of this performance from a chance conversation with Grant Gordy after his gig with Mr. Sun Tuesday in Massachusetts. Never seen Grant on electric guitar.

• daverock

What makes that band interesting to me is the rhythm section - Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter on bass and Tony Williams on drums. My favourite records by them are ESP and Milestones. A great live one is the First Bootleg - 4cds from 1967. I prefer this to the Plugged Nickel set, which seems a bit cautious by comparison.

• Dennis

Well the song will probably not be rattlin' around, but Nancy in them!

Hope I didn't type here, but listening to Dylan Theme radio, girls names. For Nancy, a song sinatra sung.

Nancy with the laughing face. Written about Nancy when she was born. Written by.... Phil Silvers!

• That Mike

Dennis - I’ll bet you will have that damn Nancy Sinatra song roiling around your head the rest of the day now! 🎶🎶 Damn boots!!!
    You’re welcome! ;)
    Crow - I agree on the Second Quintet vs the Trane Quintet - the Second was far more dynamic, a much more interesting band. All of them went on to have pretty amazing careers on their own, as well.

• Crow Told Me

Amazing what they're finding in those old archives these days.

A recent review of Nixon's office tapes (you know, the ones that caught him planning Watergate and discussing the illegal bombing Cambodia and whatnot) turned up a reference to pot. Which Tricky Dicky said was "not particularly dangerous." He even seems to consider legalization, but concludes that "it would be the wrong message at this time."

Well, blow me down. Sure wish he would've said so back then, instead of, you know, launching the War on Drugs and sending so many kind and decent people to prison.

And almost equally mind boggling it is to learn of the existence of this new Miles set. Which should be amazing.

That 'Second Great Quintet' with Herbie and Wayne is in some ways the most interesting of all his bands. The "other" quintet with Coltrane is maybe a better place to start, if anybody reading this is new to jazz and just starting to check out Miles. The Miles/Trane group more or less defined mainstream straight ahead jazz and if you're at all open to jazz you're going to love the Cookin/Workin/Steamin/Relaxin records they did.

But the 'second' quintet? Damn. If the Miles/Trane group built the house, the Wayne/Herbie band blew the fucking roof off. This new set of recordings from what I think must've been their first tour together should be amazing. Probably a little more "inside" than the far out stuff you hear on the Plugged Nickel live set, which might be a good thing. It's a must have, for me anyway.

So, thanks for the heads up on that one! Can't wait.

Meanwhile, UPS says that my copy of Jack White's new lp is out for delivery. Can't wait to slap that thing on and crank it up.

• Dennis

It made me smile.

These Boots Were Made For Listening. (as per python,,,, witty, witty)

• Dennis

There's a performance with about a dozen guys paying a tribute to George Harrison. They're playing while my guitar gently weeps. Everyone passes around the lead, gets to prince and he takes off. Several times it looked like petty was ready to drop out jamming and get back to song, but prince kept on. Tom was looking a little peeved.

Maybe it was just me. But prince really stole that track!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 4 months

Dave's Picks Vol. 51: Scranton Catholic Youth Center, Scranton, PA (4/13/71)

Look out Big Boss Man, Pigpen's on the loose! We're shedding our lovelight on the not-to-be-overlooked Spring 1971 tour with DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51, featuring the complete unreleased show from the SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 AND the 2nd set from the previous night at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA on 4/12/71.

These gems find the original Grateful Dead quintet delivering some of their most inspired, energetic, and tightest performances. There's a dab of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, a splash of AMERICAN BEAUTY, a great foreshadow into what would soon appear on SKULL & ROSES. And you'll need nearly all those fingers (or those toes) because - count 'em - there's eight classic covers ("Mama Tried," "Hard To Handle," and a rare "I Second That Emotion," to name a few) done as only the Dead could do them with Mr. McKernan and his magical harmonica.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 51: SCRANTON CATHOLIC YOUTH CENTER, SCRANTON, PA 4/13/71 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

P.S. We had a little extra room on Disc 2, so please enjoy the final five DP48 bonus tracks to complete 10/24/70, St. Louis, MO.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Thanks for the heads up everyone.
The promo code from the slot machine thing was still valid through today so I got $40 off, but shipping was $14.99 so $182.54 all in. An hour's worth of listening party is up now too. And they are Betty boards!
Love 1978 Dead!
Cheers

Mr. Ones - Adding my signal to the amplitude of healing vibes for the Mrs. - She's got nurse cats too which are always there for you when you need them.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Does anyone know anyone who can do a B&P for 5-14-74? Peace!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

Who said for the last 2-3 months that Dave Pick #51 was 9/26/91 and the Box Set was HALASKAII 1970 & 1980?!?!?!? .....WRONG ON BOTH!!

Coulda told you they wouldn't stray from the comfort zone of 1970-1978! Someone start a 1980-1991 series, please!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Dave’s 51 should be here shortly, and got the April ‘78 box ordered with a discount code. WOOT!

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Birchwood

All get 51 by tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Hate the crushing news of your wife. Fortunately, We have had others who have made it through. Hoping for Strength and Peace during these hard times. That's the downside to life, figuring out sometimes it can be hard to handle. I am with y'all in Spirit! We are all with you. Hoping she has a fast return to health.

G

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

Positive vibes for your wife brother.

Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years

Rec'd. PM and replied.
And thanks for the early AM box heads-up.
I hardly ever look at the home page while signing in every day. Better change that habit, lol.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

Just listening. With some fine white wine. Sorry gratefulgerd. No bear. Next time sure some Elchbreu Pils from Thuisbrunn. Or so.
Not so happy with the 78 box. Too much drumz. At least for me.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

I returned from Oberfr. today. Did a 3day Keller-trip in my 36 year old VW-van.
Always funny when I see the sign on the A70 saying 'Ofr., Genussregion'.
Which it really is!!!
Cheers G.
Box-Set ordered! '78 is a good year.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

......To all on here. I so missed being a part of this, and it truly means a lot to hear all of you who've sent best wishes. I am sure we are on the rebound, although we have to wait until September to get the "all good". And then of course, it takes 5 years to get the final farewell (to cancer). Won't finish #51until tomorrow, and I think I will give a good "headphones" listen to #50 over the weekend. Not sure about the'78 box, my priorities have been shuffled lately.

But as you all know--Music Is The Best!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

The good news is that #2247 arrived here safe and sound. And speaking of sound, the audio is indeed very good. As others have said, Phil is particularly well recorded here, and playing his ass off!

The somewhat less good news is that my promo code doesn't work when trying to order the new box. Oh well, worth a try.

Will be interesting to take a deeper dive into '78. My impression, based on what I've heard before, is that '78 was a lot less consistent than the previous year, but often kind of ragged in a good rock and roll way, and the good stuff from that year's really good. A worthy choice for a box set, and I'm eager to hear it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Just got done listening to Set 1...Holy smokes, this show cooks...Fire! Phil's bass is right in your face...Thanks Dave

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Has made it’s way to the south suburbs of Cleveland.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

We are everywhere, abd we’re with you both!

Nope Mikey, do not miss that at all. I miss many things, but the weather isn’t one of em lol ; )

51: somewhere at the PO. Said delivered, then changed to at arrived at PO.
What evs, hopefully TOO can pick up tonight after work 🤞

Spring 78: Ha, I’ve probably said too much elsewhere already lol
Think this is going to rock!
Cue Animal House flounder “oh boy, this is going to be great!”)

user picture

Member for

3 years 1 month

Just read your post. I wish you and your wife nothing but the best. Love is the healer.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by jjc

....then theres 1970 Me & My Uncles.
Much love to Mr & Mrs Ones.
No offense to '71 Dead, but damn son.
Two different bands for sure. Pig on the tambourine? Sign me up.
Much of 1970 is lost unfortunately. Same could be said for 1980.
Edit. Holy Moley. The Pittsburgh TOO.
Steelers suck. But that's beside the point.

Oberfranken is a region in Northern Bavaria with a population of about 1.1 million inhabitants.
Compared to other areas in the world (same number of inhabitants) it has the highest density of
bakeries, butcher’s shops and breweries.

More than 200 old traditional (centuries-old) breweries serve the people with way over 1.000 different beers.
Served in 1 Liter mugs called: Mass or 1/2 Liter mugs called: Seidla.

The official sign: ‘Genussregion Oberfranken’ aside the Autobahn honours that region for its culinary delights (Genuss).

Happy Birthday, Jerry!!!

Best wishes, G.

user picture

Member for

11 months 1 week

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier
zum Geburtstagskind feiern :)

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Good friend reported Jerry night at Fenway as extra special, first pitch thrown out by one of the Rex folks. Heading up to Burlington this afternoon for Jerry's birthday show with JRAD, excessive rains have stopped, two tarps to put down on the saturated ground for this outdoor event.

Yeah, Proudfoot, what’s up with that? Preoccupied with the box release, I guess…
Edit: Sirius GD channel has a specials going on, and I’m sure Big Steve will mention it today. Got to meet Steve in Vegas, BTW. Prince of a man.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by ronmarley1

Hey, nugs is streaming this tonight.
So maybe tell us where you end up and what your wearing lol
Maybe a big sign “hey deadnet” lol

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Truly a hard road to travel. Best wishes to you Mr. Ones and your misses. Healing vibes sent your way. Peace, Love, Dead.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Love and miss you bro, in my mind, you were the best. What I wouldn't give for just one more night with you. Would I give a few years of my remaining life for it? YES, no wait, Hell Yes.

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

I was at the OKC Zoo Amphitheater for a very happy birthday Jerry show featuring the GOGD. Miss you, man!
Disc 1 of Dave's 51 sounds mighty fine!

user picture

Member for

10 years

Interesting story in the liner notes about the recording of Kiel 10-24-70 that is on here (to fill out some more of DaP 48 filler) from the era where Owsley was in jail from the N.O. bust and they needed someone to build a sound system for that STL show. Early top quality set-up that should interest the audioholics here. (Hey Oro, lol)
Cheers
Edit: Had to laugh at Bill Gottlieb's review stating his disapproval of especially the Sage (as he calls NRPS) and questioning whether the show was worth his $4.50 ticket and 80 mile drive. Some people are just hard to please, lol.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Heading up with, then will meet up with assorted friends, a few of whom want to get down front will arrive before gates, most (like me) prefer set up in front of the sound board. Until we get in, who knows where we wind up, less inclined to the crush of the pit... 51 has arrived at my PO Box, pick that up on the way.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by dmcvt

51 in da house, gonna wait and get my fri yea going with mañana.

30 years ago last night and tonight my cousin and I saw some pretty fine shows for the time. JG seemed to be enjoying himself and the holiday love.
Of course the skunk in the campsite that kept us up all night is another of those long GD tales best for another time and space.

ISTSHOW: “HEY, who you calling….” Oh, wait, what, hee hee, I’ll have to peak at that today!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by ronmarley1

and, unless I missed it, no website acknowledgement of JG's birthday

Amateurs running things now?

$4.50 and 80 miles is WELL worth it.

Reviewers are always talentless chumps who begrudge other people's success and awesomeness.

user picture

Member for

10 years

It is on PF.
Email came couple hours ago?
Have fun with that!
Cheers
Oops, sorry Oro, I meant to say audiophile. Yeah, that's it!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I was there on the floor with mail order tix.
Thanks GDTS.

Happy Birthday Jerry!

user picture

Member for

1 year 2 months

Still no 51 over here. Still contradictory tracking info. Told to wait 10 business days. Day 7 now. Not even that hyped about this release but a sour taste nonetheless since I paid for it already.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Same with us. One of only a few times I got good seats.
We’re those not hood shows? Jerry really seemed to be into it?

ISTSHOW: same thing ; ) Interesting liner notes for sure.
Gear he sited etc, reminds me of the GORR daze as a roadie etc.
Man stuff was outrageously big and heavy back then!

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

Tonight
Great American Ballpark
Cincinnati, OH
Giants vs. Reds
6 PM CST

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

I’m not usually a fan of long versions of Good Lovin’ but in this case I have to say hell yeah. I’ve played the first two discs so far and have really enjoyed them.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

The Pittsburgh 2nd set on disc 3 is really well played and the sound quality is excellent. However, Scranton is so full of energy that I prefer it to Pittsburgh. Also it has more Pigpen, a Cumberland, a great Hard to Handle and a long Good Lovin'. What more could one wish for? A great Pick all round.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

1STSHOW07/08/78 - it took awhile but I just realised the date of your first show. Wow, what a great one to start with!
Mine was March 20, 1981 at the Rainbow in London. A bit miffed I missed the 1972 London concerts.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Frank, I got on the bus thanks to a Deadhead from California who lived in my college dorm in 1975. We became good friends. He was almost shocked how loose and crazy 7-8-78 was as he had not seen them since the hiatus IIRC.
I play that show a couple of times a year and was thrilled when it was an official release. That July '78 box is still my favorite but the new April '78 box will be right up there with it I would think.
When I was signing up here in 2014 I tried to think up a unique moniker that would resonate and wasn't sure it would, but the kindly poster mbarilla gave me props for it so I knew it was good enough, lol. Shout out to him as we see him infrequently now.
I have many recordings in the collection from the Rainbow. It must have been a storied place in rock and roll history and was amazing looking. I'll bet the sound was good in such a classy place. Almost all of my Dead shows (a very limited run compared to most here) were outdoors and obviously Red Rocks had the best sound but we sure didn't have comfy chairs and regal surroundings, lol. From what I've read you saw it near the end of its glory? Did you see them in the October 1981 run there too?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

There is a gravitational pull there not even light can escape!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-51-scranton-catholic-youth-center-scranton-pa-41371/081227817480.html